DARTFORD WOMEN IN PHOTOSHOOT WITH WORLD CUP

TonyDart

DARTFORD WOMEN IN PHOTOSHOOT WITH WORLD CUP

Post by TonyDart »

THE WORLD CUP COMES TO DARTFORD

No, not that World Cup, the other one!

TONY BROWN, “TALKING FOOTBALL & WALKING FOOTBALL” WITH GARY GROOM

Gary: “I have been watching DFC for more than 50 years as my Dad used to take me to Watling Street as a boy. I was there the day Paul Mariner (Plymouth Argyle) broke our hearts with a last gasp goal to eliminate us from the FA Cup amongst many other games.

Yes, I did play for local rivals Gravesend & Northfleet and relished our Derby day encounters. I played in the Boxing Day clash at Watling Street when the kick off was delayed to allow the extra crowd time to enter the ground. The Darts, with Peter Taylor and Andy Hessenthaler in the team proceeded to smash us 5-0, but we did gain some sort of revenge in the reverse fixture as we won 1-0 with a Mickey Crowe headed goal.

I transferred to the Darts to fulfil an ambition to play in the famous Black and White, but unfortunately Dartford FC went into administration the day before my debut under Bobby Makin's management.”

2023-24 Gary with some of the DFC Women 27-03-2024.jpg
Gary Groom meets the Dartford FC Women's players at their training evening at Princes Park

Walking Football:

“ I was sceptical when a fellow semi-pro asked me to play WF but succumbed in October 2022. I achieved a very fast rise to the England set-up and by the following August I was a World Cup winner, claiming the title at St George's Park with my colleagues. We were unbeaten in the group stages, then beat Basque Country 1-0 in the Quarter Final, Spain 2-1 in the Semi-Final. We defeated the Czech Republic on penalties in the Final after a 1-1 draw in normal time. We have had further away international matches in France since that success.
Ten Days after the World Cup win my club, Bexley Walking Football Club and I won the National Walking Football Competition (Equivalent to the Premier League or FA Cup) in Leicester.
I am proud to promote Walking Football, which starts at Over 50's for Men and Over 40's for Women. I believe that it is an excellent outlet for the older man and women not only for fitness but for mental wellbeing also.”

Just to add: – more Dartford connections - Gary’s brother Terry (‘Tel’ to everyone) has been involved with the Darts’ men’s team for many years and currently, amongst a host of other things, helps run the Dartford FC Girls Under-10s section with Sarah Cole.

DFCW team 2023-2024 with Terry Groom.jpg

Gary Groom meets the Dartford FC Women during their training session