RIP Dave Skinner

Disco Stu

Re: RIP Dave Skinner

Post by Disco Stu »

Really sad news. Dave did so much for club and will be missed by the DFC community. Condolences to friends and family. RIP.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

RIP Dave.
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

So sorry to hear this news as having watched along side him on the terraces then his move to help resurrect and re-create the team after the Watling Street loss shows to me he was MR. DFC and will be missed by the many fans and fellow board members

Dave R.I.P.
Llamaman

Post by Llamaman »

Such sad news, without him (& others of course, especially his Co Chairman Steve Irving) would there be a DFC today? It is my understanding Dave put his home as security to secure the funds to keep The Darts going before things settled with the new ground. Only part of what he did & maybe why some on the forum leap to the defence of the board when criticism is flying about. He may have not been perfect, who is, but had plenty of credit & more to draw on. A deserved tribute on Kent Online today & the posters in this thread. Saturday should be a day to remember & celebrate Dave so hopefully there will be no noisy unpleasant protests against you know who, it would be disprespectful to a Dartford great, just ignore the man. RIP
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Well said that man!! x
Ozytalksbull

Post by Ozytalksbull »

Rip condolences to friends and his loved ones
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Llamaman says
Such sad news, without him (& others of course, especially his Co Chairman Steve Irving) would there be a DFC today? It is my understanding Dave put his home as security to secure the funds to keep The Darts going before things settled with the new ground. Only part of what he did & maybe why some on the forum leap to the defence of the board when criticism is flying about. He may have not been perfect, who is, but had plenty of credit & more to draw on. A deserved tribute on Kent Online today & the posters in this thread. Saturday should be a day to remember & celebrate Dave so hopefully there will be no noisy unpleasant protests against you know who, it would be disprespectful to a Dartford great, just ignore the man. RIP
An excellent post to go with the many others
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

It is always very sad to hear of a DFC family member passing.
My heartfelt condolences to his family & loved ones.

I never had any real contact with Dave, other than maybe a hello, but still it hits me.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Really sad - we may not have our club at all if it wasn't for Dave and others back in the 90s.

The Club should name the main stand after the man,

Condolences to his family and friends

RIP Dave
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

RIP Dave. Thanks for all your hard work at DFC.
Gary C

Post by Gary C »

Passing a message on from Chris Vint, Ronnie's dad.

Firstly I would like to say A massive thanks to Dave skinner I first met him at a youth game he came over and said hello the next time I met him was Margate away in the fa cup youth game had a drink with him and steve in weatherspoons on the sea front And then after in all the cup games. Grays away. Himself and steve bought all the boys (soft drinks) after the game Then Ronnie signed for the first team he made all the family welcome to the club and always made myself and family welcome. What a great man he was and will be missed deeply. Thank you Dave for all you done god bless ❤️❤️❤️
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Absolute legend. RIP Dave
KentC

Post by KentC »

Terrible news

RIP
Skip

Post by Skip »

For anyone that may be interested I’ve added some photos to Facebook from the days I used to take a few snaps when going to away matches with Dave Skinner and others. You should be able to access it via the link

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1693457632
Skip (now residing in Suffolk)
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Great pictures. The Yoof of yesteryear! 😊 Thanks for posting.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

This is from David Crowhurst:

Tribute to Dave Skinner and Recollections
Without the efforts of Dave it is quite possible that Dartford Football Club as we know it today would not exist. He worked incredibly hard to save the club, including financial support. So much has been achieved in the last 30 years to make it a club that we can all be proud of. This may have taken a toll on his health but he always gave always gave everything for DFC.
I'm sure that all the supporters of DFC are very sad to hear this news and at the same time very thankful. He was one of the saviours and stepped in during the darkest days and then guided the club to future success.

I have known Dave since the late 1950s when we were both growing up in Horton Kirby. When he moved to Glebe Place in the 1960s we but very often (almost daily) playing football and cricket in the field behind Dave's parents’ house which became the playing fields of Horton Kirby primary school. We used to climb over the fence in his back garden to get access. Dave had an ancient and heavy cricket bat which even as 11 year olds were able to hit sixes out of the field.
When we were able to drive we both started attending matches at Watling St and often took it in turns attending matches together and with Dave's father Fred. These were times that I remember quite well and with great fondness. I guess this was the start of Dave's incredible passion for Dartford Football Club.
Rest in peace Dave you will always be remembered as Mr DFC
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

This will be the only flag going up on Saturday

IMG_2018.jpeg
Grassbank

Post by Grassbank »

Not sure what can be added to the numerous tributes that have been made already.

Dave was one of the small group of fans that made it their business to save our club and to restore it to its rightful place towards the top of non-league football in this country. I knew Dave for many years, but never really knew him that well. I know Dave was active in returning the club to the Borough and in securing the fantastic facilities that we enjoy today. It is difficult to remember what life was like when we were reliant upon other clubs to host our matches. Such arrangements were only possible because the club had a core of plausible directors, people that could be trusted to honour their commitments.

I hope that fans use the minute of reflection before the match on Saturday to look around at the great stadium that we now call home. It is our home due to the foresight and determination of a very small group of people, another one of whom is now sadly no loger able to join us for our football fix.

Dave may never have worn the Dartford shirt in a first team fixture, but he is a true legend for so many other reasons. He leaves behind not just a first XI, but an academy, a ladies team and teams of boys and girls covering a wide age range. The club has a bright future.

Thank you, Dave.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

KST: I’m not able to make Saturdays game unfortunately, but I will give you a contribution towards that flag/banner when I next see you!!
Well organised!!
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

I just hope it turns up in time , they promised me they could do it in 24 hours so fingers crossed