FA cup 4th qualifying round draw - AFC Sudbury v Dartford Sat 16 Oct 2021 KO 3pm

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Craig King
6%
Jordan Wynter
No votes
Jernade Meade
56%
Noor Husin
No votes
Connor Essam
No votes
Tom Bonner
6%
Danny Leonard
No votes
Jack Jebb
6%
Luke Allen
13%
Dan Roberts
6%
Ade Azeez
No votes
Josh Hill (Sub)
No votes
George Porter (Sub)
No votes
Emmanuel Sonupe (Sub)
6%

Total votes: 16

dartLion

Re: FA cup 4th qualifying round draw - AFC Sudbury v Dartford Sat 16 Oct 2021 KO 3pm

Post by dartLion »

If they are serious about maintaining the traditions of the FA Cup, then the draw should be made on a Monday lunchtime. I remember the excitement as a kid at school in the playground, all huddled around my Benkson transistor radio :lol:
Tall Dart

Re: FA cup 4th qualifying round draw - AFC Sudbury v Dartford Sat 16 Oct 2021 KO 3pm

Post by Tall Dart »

I thought I could remember the draw being done on the day of the match?! either way I'm impatient and would blow tradition lol...
Spike

Post by Spike »

Tall Dart wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:47 pm I thought I could remember the draw being done on the day of the match?! either way I'm impatient and would blow tradition lol...
Monday lunchtime is most common but you're right, it has on many occasions been done on Saturday evening, just after the day's matches have ended. I remember being in our old Watling St ground bar at around 5pm on a Saturday, (with the visiting Bournemouth supporters straight after our 1-1 draw), and that was when Man Utd v Dartford or Bournemouth appeared on the TV screen. Skip described that as the "happiest split second of his life" and I recall the now common place tradition of hurling beer up into the air was born. Therein followed a booze fuelled party enjoyed by both sets of fans. Had we not lost the replay I could have crossed another entry off my bucket list. That was a glorious split second.
Disco Stu

AFC Sudbury preview

Post by Disco Stu »

Relive that 'ghost goal' against AFC Sudbury in this weekend's F.A Cup fourth qualifying preview, find out more about our opponents and how they got this far in the competition by visiting https://puredfc.co.uk/
rick
Site Admin

Re: AFC Sudbury preview

Post by rick »

Thanks for your great work as ever, Stu.

Love it when it appears elsewhere online :)

https://footballnews.net/team/dartford-fc/news/

I can't post the link on FB as I have a 30 day ban :evil:
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Spike wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:37 pm
Tall Dart wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:47 pm I thought I could remember the draw being done on the day of the match?! either way I'm impatient and would blow tradition lol...
Monday lunchtime is most common but you're right, it has on many occasions been done on Saturday evening, just after the day's matches have ended. I remember being in our old Watling St ground bar at around 5pm on a Saturday, (with the visiting Bournemouth supporters straight after our 1-1 draw), and that was when Man Utd v Dartford or Bournemouth appeared on the TV screen. Skip described that as the "happiest split second of his life" and I recall the now common place tradition of hurling beer up into the air was born. Therein followed a booze fuelled party enjoyed by both sets of fans. Had we not lost the replay I could have crossed another entry off my bucket list. That was a glorious split second.
thanks spike, glad I wasnt going mad. I remember hearing all about that moment you mentioned, re fa cup potential draw against man utd. you never know what can happen....
herbie

Post by herbie »

Tall Dart wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:56 pm
thanks spike, glad I wasnt going mad. I remember hearing all about that moment you mentioned, re fa cup potential draw against man utd. you never know what can happen....
vs Bournemouth, was at Watling Street for the draw and scuffles, then we found out the winners got to play man united and they got stuffed in the replay missing out on a trip to old trafford and tv fame

then the away trip to worthing which ended our best cup run which was disappointing both for the pitiful ground we lost at - when a ball went over the back goal it was in someone's garden and they had to use another one - even worse when my dad and me went in the ground bar before the kick off pamphlett and others were having a bloody pint - no wonder they lost

the away trip to redhill ended my blind faith, that was a bloody dismal night

they've been letting me down since 1974, my bar for hope is set very low these days and the debacle of last year's penalty shootout changed nothing

i would love to be surprised though
Grassbank

Post by Grassbank »

I think it a little harsh to say that we were stuffed in the reply. 2-1 down with ten minutes to play and the second Bournemouth goal had been a penalty. Have just watched the goal highlights on You Tube. I had not realised that Robbie Savage was one of the Bournemouth scorers that evening. What I do remember is the very thick fog and the major delays on the M25 which had melted due to a tanker crash in said thick fog earlier in the day.

Hoping for better conditions and a better result this weekend.
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

This from 19 years ago - Friday, 20 December, 2002, 08:27 GMT
FA Cup draw turns back clock
The BBC and the Football Association have announced the FA Cup draw will revert to its old Monday lunchtime slot.
In a move that will delight the traditionalists, the fourth round draw will be made live on television and radio at 1300 GMT on 6 January for the first time in ten years.
"The FA Cup Monday lunchtime draw was a tradition many of us grew up with," said BBC's head of football Niall Sloane.
"We hope the public will be pleased to see its return in the new year with simultaneous live coverage on BBC television, radio and online."
Paul Barber, the FA's director of marketing and communications added: "It's fantastic that the FA Cup draw is returning to a Monday lunchtime slot.
"I'm sure millions of fans around the country have great memories of gathering around a radio and listening to the draw."

That last sentence was me!!
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

dartLion wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:33 pm
This from 19 years ago - Friday, 20 December, 2002, 08:27 GMT
FA Cup draw turns back clock
The BBC and the Football Association have announced the FA Cup draw will revert to its old Monday lunchtime slot.
In a move that will delight the traditionalists, the fourth round draw will be made live on television and radio at 1300 GMT on 6 January for the first time in ten years.
"The FA Cup Monday lunchtime draw was a tradition many of us grew up with," said BBC's head of football Niall Sloane.
"We hope the public will be pleased to see its return in the new year with simultaneous live coverage on BBC television, radio and online."
Paul Barber, the FA's director of marketing and communications added: "It's fantastic that the FA Cup draw is returning to a Monday lunchtime slot.
"I'm sure millions of fans around the country have great memories of gathering around a radio and listening to the draw."

That last sentence was me!!
on the same topic ish, I recall sitting watching teletext flick through the entire non league scores late Saturday night to find out the dartford scores. It seemed to be about 70 pages of different leagues and if you missed the page that was it, another painful wait for it to come full circle. No pause neither.
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

ha ha yes, Ceefax and Oracle and how boring it got watching a 0-0 :lol:
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Fourth qualifying round always a massive banana skin. Especially when facing lower league opposition.
With the possibility of a mouth watering money spinning tie away to the likes of Portsmouth and Sunderland awaiting the victors, that can be a massive game changer for clubs like AFC Sudbury.

Tomorrow is their cup final. They are at home. The entire town will be behind them.

Irrespective of the result the Sudbury players will have left everything out on the pitch come the final whistle.

The current squad is the best we've had for many years but Steve King's cautious words in his"It's just a start" speech must be heeded more than ever now.
Our lads will have to be on it right from the off tomorrow.
And I'm sure they will along with the vocal backing of the excellent away support that has accompanied Darts teams on the road throughout the club's history.

COYD!
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

James and Samuel will be on the mics this weekend.

Make sure to join them just before kick-off at: https://mixlr.com/dartsfc
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

rick wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm James and Samuel will be on the mics this weekend.

Make sure to join them just before kick-off at: https://mixlr.com/dartsfc
Excellent. I, for one, will be tuning in and looking forward to the commentary. Thanks guys.

COYD
Davedart

Post by Davedart »

Really looking forward to going to this game tomorrow, where we must not underestimate them as they will certainly up their game against us, hopefully a nice home tie in the 1st round awaits.
Spike

Post by Spike »

herbie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:46 pm
Tall Dart wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:56 pm

vs Bournemouth, was at Watling Street for the draw and scuffles, then we found out the winners got to play man united and they got stuffed in the replay missing out on a trip to old trafford and tv fame

then the away trip to worthing which ended our best cup run which was disappointing both for the pitiful ground we lost at - when a ball went over the back goal it was in someone's garden and they had to use another one - even worse when my dad and me went in the ground bar before the kick off pamphlett and others were having a bloody pint - no wonder they lost

the away trip to redhill ended my blind faith, that was a bloody dismal night

they've been letting me down since 1974, my bar for hope is set very low these days and the debacle of last year's penalty shootout changed nothing

i would love to be surprised though
i'm not sure what any of that has to do with our current squad, You need to cheer up a bit Herbie. We've got a great side here, life is good. Enjoy it while it lasts.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Done my 10 days Covid isolation but still got a rasping cough so [ regretfully] giving Sudbury a miss but will be listening in to live commentary and hoping [ expecting ] a Darts win , at worst a replay [ selfishly] on tuesday wouldnt go amiss !!!!!!!!

COYDs
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

It was good to speak with you this week Dave, hope to catch up with you soon.

As for the game tomorrow, for those of you who have not been to this ground before, you cannot generate any noise behind the goals. Sound behind the goals just disappears up its own @r$e. I remember last time that the home support made more noise with 20 singing fans than our lot with with 300 behind the goal. It was only when a small group of our supporters went into that shed on the halfway line that we could be heard. With that in mind, I will be getting there early and finding a space in the terrace behind the dugout. COYD
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Some more match day info from AFC Sudbury:-

https://www.afcsudbury.co.uk/news/fa-cu ... 55666.html