Dowson: We'll have no excuses - 21/09/23

Park Life

Dowson: We'll have no excuses - 21/09/23

Post by Park Life »

"We'll have no excuses"

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... es-293763/

Dartford boss Alan Dowson accepts there will be no excuses for the club’s early-season issues once key players return from injury ahead of derby match against Tonbridge Angels

Manager Alan Dowson accepts there will be no excuses for Dartford’s early-season problems once key players return from injury.

The Darts have struggled to get going this campaign and are only outside the National League South relegation zone on goal difference.

They suffered a fourth straight loss last weekend, falling to a 3-2 FA Cup Second Qualifying Round derby defeat at home to rivals Welling.

But Dartford did welcome back winger Brandon Barzey from international duty and fit-again frontman Alex Wall for his first appearance of the campaign, with both coming off the bench.

Dowson is also hoping to have defenders Tommy Block and Maxwell Statham, as well as midfielder Luke Allen, back in contention for this Saturday’s home derby against Tonbridge.

He said: “Blocky will definitely be back this week, Maxwell could be as well.

“Barzey was back on Saturday and he showed a bit of what he can do. He’ll add a bit of pace to the team, which is something I think we need.

“Wally had his first minutes, Luke Allen should be fit I believe, and he can score goals from midfield. So we’ve got a chance to get some more players back on the pitch.

“Once we have got everybody fit, there’s no excuses.”

Former Woking boss Dowson admits he will have to draw upon his experience as he tries to turn Dartford’s fortunes around.

“I’ve got to just crack on with it,” said Dowson, who was publicly backed by Dartford’s board of directors this week.

“I’m not going anywhere. It’s up to me to crack on, get better at my job and make sure that the players get better at theirs as well.

“I’ve lost four on the spin. I think I’ve done that once before.

“They’ve all been by a single goal but that makes no odds. I feel gutted for the supporters and people at the club.

“Even now, there’s people coming up to me, knocking on the dressing room door and saying how we’ll turn it around – and we will.

“But I’ll work hard every day – until somebody tells me not to. That’s what I’ll be doing again this week.”

Dartford’s defeat to Welling came despite a brace for striker Lewis Manor, who also netted in last month’s 2-0 win against Dover after joining from relegated Concord in the summer.

“We got the ball in the box and I always said, if we can get the ball in the box to him, Lewis will be all right,” stated Dowson.

“He’s probably been one of our successes of the season. He’s banged a couple in.”

Tonbridge have also endured a tough start to the league season. They were knocked out of the FA Cup at their first hurdle, too, losing 4-2 at Isthmian Premier Haringey.

But Dowson, who did a league double over Angels last season, warned: “It’s another derby and they were good last year.

“It’ll be another tough game for us and, if we’re going to beat Tonbridge, we’ll have to sharpen up and make sure that we don’t concede.”

Dartford will host a charity football match on Sunday, October 8, to help raise funds for the Emily Ash Trust, which supports families who have a child, teenager or young adult with cancer, as well as Dartford’s Academy.

Among those set to feature include Dartford coach and former Sky Sports commentator Martin Tyler, Gillingham manager Neil Harris and former Premier League midfielders Jamie O’Hara and Jimmy Bullard.

Tickets cost £12, plus a booking fee, and can be purchased at www.sellebritysoccer.org.uk.