Pierre Fonkeu (Sub)
2%
Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 45

KSTDART

Re: Dartford v St Albans City Sat 22 Apr 2023

Post by KSTDART »

That was more like it , the 2 midfielders than were so poor on Thursday night were nowhere to be seem today and the guys that came in were different class .
We got off to a great start after Samir beat the keeper with a low shot into the bottom corner but St. Albans heads did not drop and should of equalised after one of there players hit the bar when it was easier to score ( shocking miss )
We were the stronger team in the second half and the equaliser came against the run of play . The oh no here we go again atmosphere swept across the terraces but instead of crumbling as we have done so ofter we kept going . Coulson’s free kick was saved by the keeper but Fonkeu smashed the rebound home ,
After that it was just a matter of seeing the game out .

Enjoy the goals

Samir Curruthers opens the scoring for Dartford v St. Albans

Fonkeu scores Dartford’s winner V St. Albans

KentC

Post by KentC »

M1 South wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:01 pm And we beat the ‘best’ team 8.1 in the same week!!

They may be the best players but they are not the best club , not by a million miles. A shite classless club with money.

Anyway today is all about happiness 🙂
MickW

Post by MickW »

Gritty performance and good to see Samir back- hope his injury isn't too bad. Good to see Charlie too.
Bit of time to get our key players fit for the final push - we can do this.
Once again the following pack fail to keep the pressure on and this time they really fluff it.
Say what you will about recent performances we are 2nd on merit and hopefully we will show our true colours in the playoffs. Bring it on.
COYDs
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

The proverbial ‘game of two halves’ huh? Dire in the first half. Got away with murder. Could easily have been 1-4 at half time. Dunno what Dowse and Tom said at half time - but it worked. Totally different team second half. But hats off to that @&£! Jeffers. He always ‘does’ us - but that was one of the best goals I’ve seen at PP. I’d love to see Jeffers at PP next season! Lovely to see Tom Bonner wrap it up with both prizes. I was amazed to hear two fans bemoaning the award. 🤦‍♂️ just nuts! A nice relaxing day at Hampton next Saturday. Do we ‘rest’ players or select a play off team and test it? I’d go for Charley and Harvey up front whatever. Well done lads. After the last two Thursdays, lift your heads, take the applause and take a bow! Only TWO home games to go! Final will inevitably be Chelmo and, by goodness, do we owe them one!
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Started on the front foot and a well taken goal from Samir gave us the important early lead. But after that Snalbans had a right go at us and but for some poor finishing and bodies on the line defending we could have gone in at the break behind.
Not sure what Dowse put in the tea at HT but we were a completely different side, played some good football and pressed them higher up which led to the free kick which the winning goal came from.
With Chin, Wynter and Meade back we had more legs in the side and this helped greatly with the result today against a very good Snalbans side.

Hampton first and then the lottery of the play offs but the league table doesn't lie and we are second on merit so well done Dowse, his management team and the players.

I said it before the game and will say it again, on our day we are capable of beating anybody in this league so if the players approach the last few games in the right frame of mind we have every chance.

MOTM for me was Jernade, started well at LB and then had a very good game when switched to centre mid.

COYD
rambo

Post by rambo »

We struggled in the first despite the early goal but were very much on top in the second hslf playing some good football.
The equaliser was a blow but we didn’t drop our heads and soon got in front
Chin had a marvelous game , non son stop running and a very clever boy. I really hope he is retained next season. Great player and todays motm
On to the playoffs and well done to the players and dowse and his coaching team 👍
KentC

Post by KentC »

And a good tactical switch from dowse
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

rambo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:51 pm We struggled in the first despite the early goal but were very much on top in the second hslf playing some good football.
Chin had a marvelous game , non son stop running and a very clever boy. I really hope he is retained next season. Great player and todays motm
On to the playoffs and well done to the players and dowse and his coaching team 👍
Chin is onloan from Charlton but if he is released maybe a good signing.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Aside winning the league - which we had a brief fantasy about at Christmas - Dowson has done the very next best thing, so bloody well done, him. I doubt as many as 2% of us would have backed the management to get us finishing as high as we did and despite a stuttering finish, that’s where we’ve ended. Absolutely buzzing after that today, the playoffs will of course be a lottery, but at least we have only one hurdle to clear before the ridiculous season-decider that is the playoff final.
COYD
Last edited by DA Mikey on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match Report by Chris Palmer

Dartford secured second position in the National League South, as Samir Carruthers and Pierre Fonkeu scored to wrap up the points against St Albans City at Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park.

With the visitors fighting for play-off places as well, this fixture was an excellent example of what the National League South is all about, as both sides fought for ninety minutes. Yet, the hosts couldn’t have wished for a better start on this beautiful April afternoon…

As The Saints roamed forward from their defensive area, Richard Chin intercepted the ball brilliantly before finding Samir Carruthers with a neat pass. The midfielder, who was returning from a recent injury, controlled the ball well before sending a delightful low drive into the bottom corner, leaving goalkeeper Dylan Berry with no chance (3). The goal was Carruthers’ 10th in the league this campaign, whilst Chin’s assist was just the beginning of a fine performance which would earn the loanee the Man of The Match award at the end of the game.

The visitors responded five minutes later as Mitchell Weiss and Glenn McConnell combined to set up the latter. However, McConnell couldn’t keep his shot below Ben Dudzinski’s crossbar (8).

Six minutes later saw the duo almost combine in the opposite order, after McConnell met Devante Stanley’s deep cross. But Connor Essam was alert to the danger and intercepted the ball before Weiss could get a sniff (14).

The Darts responded with another effort of their own in the 17th minute, after Jernade Meade managed to beat Stanley only for Berry to save the former’s strike. This was soon followed by an opportunity at the other end, which involved Weiss and McConnell once again. However, Tom Bonner was on hand this time to block McConnell’s effort (21).

St Albans seemed to gain a better grip on proceedings during this stage of the game, as they roamed forward with intent. Firstly, Weiss saw his goal-bound header excellently blocked by Essam (31), before McConnell saw a golden chance of an equaliser blocked once again by a resolute Dartford defensive unit (33). This was then followed by a contender for miss of the season, as Weiss set up Tafari Moore perfectly, only for the latter to somehow fire over Dudzinski’s crossbar from close-range (38)!

The second forty-five started relatively calmly and Alan Dowson was the first to show his hand by swapping Samir Carruthers with Luke Coulson after 55 minutes. That would be followed by Pierre Fonkeu replacing Harvey Bradbury (63) and Charlie Sheringham coming on for Richard Chin with ten minutes remaining.

The visitors, meanwhile, would go on to swap Kyran Wiltshire with Zane Banton (65), before making a double change in the 71st minute. That change saw Shaun Jeffers and Joe Neal coming on for Mitchell Weiss and Glenn McConnell.

As we return to the action, a superb effort by Jernade Meade in the 58th minute forced Berry into an excellent save, as the hosts searched that all important second goal. However, it didn’t come and St Albans finally found the equaliser in the 72nd minute, and what a goal it was too…

Fresh from just coming on to the pitch, Shaun Jeffers found himself on the receiving end of a good cross from Chay Cooper. And the striker needed no second invitation, as his first touch of the ball was a delightful acrobatic strike, which flew into the top corner.

Dartford responded positively, though, and were back ahead within five minutes. A good attacking move through the middle saw Joy Mukena make a late lunge on Luke Allen. The offence resulted in the St Albans player going into referee, Mr Andrew Humphries’ book (one of four yellow cards handed out this afternoon – two for each side). Luke Coulson took the free-kick, which saw Berry make the save. However, the goalkeeper couldn’t hold the ball and Pierre Fonkeu pounced to restore the Darts’ lead with his 10th league goal of the season (77).

The duo of Coulson and Fonkeu combined again in the 86th minute, as the hosts looked to put the game out of reach. However, Fonkeu’s effort flew wide of Berry’s upright. It didn’t matter though, as the Darts closed ranks and saw out the remaining minutes to secure a vital, yet deserved victory.

Together with results elsewhere in the National League South, the win means that Tom Bonner and Co have secured that important second place with a game to spare. The team can now relax and enjoy themselves at Hampton and Richmond Borough next weekend, before preparing for the play-offs.

TEAMS

DARTFORD: Ben Dudzinski, Richard Chin, Samir Carruthers, Connor Essam, Tom Bonner (c), Luke Allen, Maxwell Statham, Harvey Bradbury, Sam Odaudu, Jernade Meade.

SUBSTITUTES: Luke Coulson, Emmanuel Adebowale, Pierre Fonkeu, Charlie Sheringham, Malachi Napa.

ST ALBANS CITY: Dylan Berry, Devante Stanley, Aidan Francis-Clarke, Kyran Wiltshire, Callum Adebiyi, Ryan Blackman, Mitchell Weiss, Joy Mukena, Tafari Moore, Glenn McConnell, Chay Cooper.

SUBSTITUTES: Shaun Jeffers, Huw Dawson, Zane Banton, Ben Smith, Joe Neal.

By Chris Palmer
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Mark Sweet wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:49 pm What a rollercoaster of emotions that game was. First half we were poor overall, despite going ahead from a well struck early goal from Samir. However after that goal St Albans caused all sorts of problems and could've gone in 2 or 3 goals ahead, they definitely should've had at least 1 back.

Second half I thought was much better, we started to play more on the floor and were creating chances just missed that final ball. Decision making was wrong at times, I felt Luke (Allen) could've squared it as 2 players were waiting for tap ins but decided to go for goal which would've gave us a bit of a cushion. It has to be said their goal was a fantastic goal, Jeffers is a player that always causes sides problems and with his first touch pops up with a overhead kick that looked like it went right in the top corner.

It then felt like it was going to be one of those days where we dropped points from a winning position, but a rebounded free kick and lightning reactions from Pierre poked home the winner.

My eyes were constantly glued to the other scores, Oxford going ahead and then immediately conceding just summed the day up. They then played what felt like 10 minutes of injury time and confirmation of 2nd place was confirmed during the presentation at the end!

My MOTM is going to Chin. He's been such a good player for us since coming in. His work rate is phenomenal and he causes problems wherever he is playing on the pitch.

I want to also give a massive shout to the fans behind the goal, they definitely were a 12th man today and especially after St Albans scored got behind the lads and were in full voice willing them to get that 2nd goal!

Now onto next week, I won't have to nervously listen in to the commentary and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a heavily rotated side in order to ensure our key players are fit and rested for the playoffs. Absolutely superb work from the lads today to give us that luxury and could see what it meant to everyone including the management at the final whistle. The players gave everything they had today and it was rewarded in the best way possbile.

I was not expecting 2nd place at the start of the season, and after our recent form certainly wasn't expecting it today. I know Dowse likes giving post match interviews to his staff after we win, but I do want to hear from him today as he was visibly devastated after Thursday and deserves full credit for the quick turnaround and getting the 3 points.

ALAN DOWSON'S BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!!!!
Glad we have a decent manager now.🎣
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

rambo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:51 pm We struggled in the first despite the early goal but were very much on top in the second hslf playing some good football.
Rambo, as much as I’d love to have Chin in our side next season as he’s a quality player, I can’t see him wanting to leave Charlton as a fulltime pro when there’s a possibility of him pushing for a 1st team place.
He’s well liked at Charlton.

As for the game today I thought both Chin & Meade were absolutely superb today and kept changing my mind between the 2 for man of the match, Chin finally getting my vote.
Meade looked even sharper once moved into the central midfield position after swapping with Sam. He was both calm & skillfull on the ball and closed the opposition down quickly but also gave us that extra bit of pace when needed.
First half after Samir had taken his goal well St Albans seemed to up their game a few notches and brought it to us with non stop attacks, some of which we defended well for our lives but at times we got bloody lucky that they didn’t take their chances otherwise we could’ve been 3 or 4 down at halftime.
2nd half we came out a different team and tried to keep the ball on the deck more and play some much better football at times before we finally got our 2nd goal which we deserved.
A good free kick from Coulson which the keeper did well to save before Pierre knocked the rebound in the net, I’m not quite sure how much of it Pierre knew about it though but hey who cares as long as he scored.
Fulltime came and we got the much needed 3pts plus with both Oxford & Chelmsford drawing we got the 2nd place.

Now time to concentrate on those play off’s and getting the job done.

Let’s keep this going Darts.
Last edited by The 5th Searcher on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rambo

Post by rambo »

I couldn’t remember if Chin was on loan of signed or where he came from but clearly if Charlton want him, he has tk take the chance of becoming a good pro snd I hope he makes it. However some pro clubs find it difficult to believe a player small in stature can be a useful player
If Charlton deny Richard thd opportunity and we go up to the NL perhaps he will see us as a good option. We can dream
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Over the 90 mins we deserved the win although St Albans were very good 1st haf,1stime for ages we played some good football and the switch of Meade to left midfield and Aduado back o left back worked and Meade played very well , previous posts have summed up my thoughts on the game so nohing extra !!

I voted for Richard Chin as my motm and in the short time he has been with us he has impressed with his performances and its easy to see he is young , fit , enthusiastic , talented footballer who is in the Charlton 1st team squad and with a bit of luck will develop into a very good League player , IF we were to get promoted then Charlton made decide to loan him to us again but IF not then we will NOT have a prayers chance !!!!!!!!!!!!

Delighted Tom Bonner got both Player awards , what a great season he has had and a real legend at Dartford FC -Thanks Tom !!!!!!!!!
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

rambo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:05 pm I couldn’t remember if Chin was on loan of signed or where he came from
Richard Chin - End of season loan from Charlton 23 Mar 2023
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

DA Mikey wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:36 pm Aside winning the league - which we had a brief fantasy about at Christmas - Dowson has done the very next best thing, so bloody well done, him. I doubt as many as 2% of us would have backed the management to get us finishing as high as we did and despite a stuttering finish, that’s where we’ve ended. Absolutely buzzing after that today, the playoffs will of course be a lottery, but at least we have only one hurdle to clear before the ridiculous season-decider that is the playoff final.
COYD
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

How we didn't go 3/4-1 down at half time is beyond me but we managed to survive. Came out second half a different side, managed to take control and then let in the equaliser. :shock: . Then went ahead again and to be honest SA didn't look like getting back.
Good performances around the pitch. Bonner, Essam, Meade, Allen, Wynter, Coulson (when he came on) but again, as said, Chin played a storming game.
Bradbury played well but had little support and it was good to see Carruthers and Sheringham back for the play-off's.
We managed to crawl over the line for the coveted 2nd spot so I hope they can take advantage and get to the play off final.
Well done the lads and well done Dowse for a great achievement.
COYD's
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

BRASSNECK wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:22 pm
Chin is onloan from Charlton but if he is released maybe a good signing.
He won't be released. He's just signed a new deal with Charlton before he came to Dartford on loan.
rambo

Post by rambo »

Let’s make the most of him
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Chin up everyone eh??