Luke Coulson (Sub)
No votes
Malachi Napa (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 17

Park Life

Re: Hungerford Town v Dartford Tue 7 Mar 2023

Post by Park Life »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:11 pm Did Hungerford score a 2nd and it was disallowed?

It showed up as 2-1 on live scores and then changed back to 1-1.
Yes, offside.
KentC

Post by KentC »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:11 pm Did Hungerford score a 2nd and it was disallowed?

I saw that confused me for a bit but relieved when I saw it was wrong
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Sub:-
Napa for Carruthers
Bkev180

Post by Bkev180 »

Glad I didn't go very poor by sounds of commentary but what else did we expect
KentC

Post by KentC »

On this very cold night and a very long way with the team still not playing well massive shout to the travelling Darts fans tonight.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Park Life wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:13 pm

Yes, offside.
Cheers Parklife & Brassneck
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Oxford v Braintree finish 2-2 late Oxford equaliser.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I listened on DFC Live , poor game , got a point but Hungerford unlucky , missed the Wall goal , think I nodded of !!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

A point is a point at the end of the day, but another difficult listen on commentary. I'm going to go into more detail than I usually do just because I want my thoughts out there and see if anyone agrees.

I don't like criticising individuals but Murtagh has been poor for a while now and has not only put our defence under unnecessary pressure with his laziness but also cost us goals. It sounded like it was another tonight. I love Essam, but I feel like he has been at fault for quite a few chances/goals recently too and with no competition for his place I do hope it's not going to become a reoccurrence. What has happened to Tommy Block? I thought he was brought in as that defensive cover we needed.

I think our main issue, from watching the team at PP this season as well as listening to the commentaries is that our defence/midfield just isn't good or doesn't have confidence to play out so we end up just lumping balls up top. Now this wasn't an issue as much when Charlie was in the team because he fought for EVERY ball. The issue with Alex is that he just falls over or tries getting into a wrestling match with the defender and half the time it's an easy pickup for their defender which just puts pressure back on us.

When we do manage to pick up the ball and try and launch a counter the pace just isn't there, or again we just misplace the pass and give the attackers too much to do.

Like Dowse has said, we're having to score 2-3 goals to be able to win games but at the moment we're not creating the clear cut chances to do that and it's evident in our lack of goals

We've proven we can beat the best team in this division, not only beat them but absolutely dominate them. I think, and hope, we are just lacking in that bit of confidence that we need to turn the draws into wins.

Every team has blips and aside from Ebbsfleet this is a much closer division than I first thought at the start of the season, hopefully we can get out of this sooner rather than later and I can stop worrying myself and looking down the table!!!

I trust Dowse, I'm a big fan of his and he has the track record at this level. I do think he had a major job on his hands with the squad he inherited and the timing of his appointment and said at the start of the season as long as we got into the playoffs I would be happy. I am not questioning him I want to make that clear.

I was going to say Braintree are right on our tails after their win tonight, but as I was typing this Oxford have scored in the 96th minute to equalise! Again other result have helped us tonight.

I will be there Saturday hopefully to see us end this run!

Apologies for the long message! COYD
Last edited by Mark Sweet on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Fair play to you MS, you are entitled to your opinion & that’s a fair assessment!!
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

The only bright spot of the evening was the commentary - top notch - thanks once again. We seemed to be giving the ball away so often in midfield with stray passes that I was dreading another goal being conceded after each mispass. We seem to be lacking all confidence at present and also very lucky that other results going our way with Oxford coming from behind to draw 2-2 at home to Braintree and Worthing slumping 7-2 at Ebbsfleet. Does nobody want promotion this season!?

Let's just hope we can take advantage of out 2 home games in hand, but our game against Farnborough on Saturday will be a toughie as their away record is one of the best in the league and they have games in hand on the promotion pack, so will be well up for it!

COYD
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Make you largely right Mark Sweet. Statham, Coulson and Smith have been great additions to the squad under Dowson, but more recent acquisitions have been less effective and as for Murtagh, well, I got pulled up a couple of times for fingering him as a weak leak last season and nothing has changed since. As I say, there is good mixed in with the bad this season and as others have stated, second spot is better than we all expected at the beginning of August. The goalkeeper situation is a very strange one though.
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Personally it’s shaping up to be a season of two halves some poor to mediocre stuff mixed in with some outstanding stuff. Think criticism of wall is a bit over the top as he did his bit in our good run pre Xmas/new year. Haven’t seen too many games but think at times we are a little lacking in pace going forward and rely on the excellent coulson for creativity…if he’s not firing we lack a cutting edge. However think we may well go on another run as we reach the end of a strange old season of highs and lows and then who knows in the play offs!?!? Think glass still half full for me!
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Didn’t go tonight - would have done had there been a seat available on the coach (enquired last evening!) 😫 Can’t therefore comment on individuals and would never slag off individual players either!

Good point on the road, particularly at Hungerford where it’s always proved difficult for us to get anything! Yes, results have gone our way again and, as I stated after Saturdays defeat at Weymouth, nobody other than Ebbsfleet (now way way out of sight at the top!) and Braintree have been able to put together any consistency.

Saturday’s a biggy (sorry to state the obvious!) and only a win will do against tough opposition - we’re running out of games now to secure an advantageous position for the play-off’s.

In my honest opinion, we can still get promotion. Keep faith in the process and Dowse. COYDs.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:54 pm Personally it’s shaping up to be a season of two halves some poor to mediocre stuff mixed in with some outstanding stuff. Think criticism of wall is a bit over the top as he did his bit in our good run pre Xmas/new year. Haven’t seen too many games but think at times we are a little lacking in pace going forward and rely on the excellent coulson for creativity…if he’s not firing we lack a cutting edge. However think we may well go on another run as we reach the end of a strange old season of highs and lows and then who knows in the play offs!?!? Think glass still half full for me!
Maybe I was too harsh on Alex, and it's not his fault he has nobody competing for his place

I've dished out a lot of individual praise this season and just needed to put my frustrations somewhere. I'll always support the team and hope those I mentioned prove me wrong!
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Mark Sweet wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:19 pm
Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:54 pm Personally it’s shaping up to be a season of two halves some poor to mediocre stuff mixed in with some outstanding stuff. Think criticism of wall is a bit over the top as he did his bit in our good run pre Xmas/new year. Haven’t seen too many games but think at times we are a little lacking in pace going forward and rely on the excellent coulson for creativity…if he’s not firing we lack a cutting edge. However think we may well go on another run as we reach the end of a strange old season of highs and lows and then who knows in the play offs!?!? Think glass still half full for me!
Maybe I was too harsh on Alex, and it's not his fault he has nobody competing for his place

I've dished out a lot of individual praise this season and just needed to put my frustrations somewhere. I'll always support the team and hope those I mentioned prove me wrong!
Scored the all-important leveller tonight Mark! Many of us are frustrated, totally understandable.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match Report by Chris Palmer

Alex Wall’s second-half header cancelled out Dylan Adjei-Hersey’s first-half effort, as Dartford fought back to earn a hard-fought point at Bulpit Lane on a cold Tuesday night.

As 268 supporters ventured out in temperatures fast approaching 0°c, battle commenced on the Berkshire pitch as both sides struggled to get a firm grip on proceedings.

The visitors started quite brightly and forced the first corner within two minutes. However, with the Hungerford defence heading it clear immediately, it was becoming clear that this was going to be a tight affair.

The Darts came close in the 11th minute when an error at the back let Pierre Fonkeu in. However, despite getting to the ball, goalkeeper Jed Ward was just quick enough to block not only that strike, but Alex Wall’s half-chance as well.

The visitors were in control during this period and it wasn’t long before they created another good opportunity. Samir Carruthers, fresh from his suspension, raced up the pitch before seeking out Fonkeu. The Dartford forward then found Luke Allen with a neat pass, but Allen’s strike was deflected away to safety by Rhys Tyler’s well-marshalled defence (13).

We then reached the point in the half where nothing worth mentioning happened. Both sides refused to give an inch, and a majority of play saw the ball being pinged back and forth in the midfield. If there was going to be a goal, it looked for certain that it’d arrive via a set-piece. Unfortunately for Dartford, that’s exactly what happened during the additional minute at the end of the half.

The Crusaders won a corner, which Ryan Jones duly took. The cross was delightful and was met by the head of Dylan Adjei-Hersey… who sent it into the back of the net by the narrowest of margins (45+1).

The Darts began the second forty-five determined to get themselves level and were awarded ten minutes in. Like the host’s opener, this too came via a corner, which was swept in by Samir Carruthers. Alex Wall got on the end of this one to pull his side level, despite shouts from Hungerford boss Danny Robinson that his goalkeeper had been pushed in the process. The referee, Mr Tom Ellsmore wasn’t interested and the Darts were deservedly level (55).

Two minutes later, however, Mr Ellsmore and his linesman would have the hosts infuriated… A good ball sent Joe Boachie through and he scored to put the Crusaders ahead once again… or so he thought! Despite being clearly onside, the linesman flagged him off, and Mr Ellsmore chalked off the goal! Hungerford were infuriated, and rightly so on this occasion, while the Darts breathed a sigh of relief and got on with the game.

Despite the remainder of the game offering very few clear-cut goalmouth action, Hungerford were the side who had the best of the opportunities. Louis McGrory forced Dan Wilks into a decent save in the 65th minute, before Ryan Jones smacked the crossbar with a fierce drive from distance (79).

To make matters worse for the hosts, George Smith missed a great opportunity to win the game with an open goal glaring at him (81), before Pierre Fonkeu forced a routine save from Jed Ward in the 85th minute.

Alan Dowson used two of his available substitutions this evening, the first of which saw Luke Coulson come on to replace Jack Smith (70). That was followed by Malachi Napa replacing Samir Carruthers with eight minutes remaining.

The result sees Dartford remain in full control of their own destiny for top spot in the battle for the play-off places, after Tom Bonner and Co put in a positive performance on a difficult night.

TEAMS

HUNGERFORD TOWN: Jed Ward, Louis McGrory, Fabio Lopes, Luke Delaney, Joe Boachie, George Smith, Matt Berry-Hargreaves, Rhys Tyler (c), Dylan Adjei-Hersey, Jerry Gyebi, Ryan Jones.

SUBSTITUTES: Curtis Angell, Great Evans, Leslie Duru, Stefan Ilic’, Kyle Bailey.

DARTFORD: Dan Wilks, Samir Carruthers, Connor Essam, Tom Bonner (c), Luke Allen, Alex Wall, Keiran Murtagh, Maxwell Statham, Isaac Ogundere, Jack Smith, Pierre Fonkeu.

SUBSTITUTES: Luke Coulson, Obi Onyeagwara, Ben Dudzinski, Jernade Meade, Malachi Napa.

By Chris Palmer
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

I note that after winning on Saturday against us Weymouth lost at home to Chippenham. Given the league table you would have expected the results at Weymouth to be the other way round. Two away games in 3 days against teams in the relegation zone and the Darts have only picked up one point...
Last edited by Taunton Dart on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Hitchin, you'd like to think we'd go on a run of some sort wouldn't you? Again, we've got away with murder, another below par performance and but for a late goal at Oxford our 5 point gap stays the same.
Is it going to last? Farnborough's a big ask on that point, as said they play well away from home. Have we got the means to stop their little game on Saturday?
Last night's result not a surprise.
COYD's. Hope it's not too bloody cold Saturday.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I went to the away game at Farnborough and we were outplayed and lost 3-0 and were lucky it was only by 3 , IF we play on saturday like recent form then we will get beat , NOT being negative , just being realistic

Lets hope that Dowse's vast experience and motivational skills will get all the players up for it !!!!!!