Keiran Murtagh (Sub)
No votes
Jack Smith (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 29

tommytollbooth

Re: Dartford v Taunton Town - Thu 13 April 2023

Post by tommytollbooth »

Truly we were awful and yes I know Alex Wall, Charlie and Samir were sitting in the stand injured but upfront not a great deal happening. Harvey tried hard but they were a tough hard side to play against. I couldn't fathom our substitutions why no Napa or Fonkeu to inject some pace upfront. MOM Taunton FC who made an epic journey on a Thursday night to do a job on us and get 3 points, they even brought some enthusiastic support amazing.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I'm really glad I missed this one. But the entertainment since then has been a bonus :)
I do not think that Tonbridge are going to do us any favours Saturday not that it seem's, we are capable of doing ourselves any.
It's in the lap of the Gods where we finish now, that or the Ref, defence, attack or Dowse. :?:
Still we may get the sensation we are begging for. Or not but 6 wins in the league in 17 games since Ebbsfleet tells me we have lost three of our four wheels. :idea:
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

An absolutely dreadful performance where the team got what they fully deserved which was sod all.
I’m afraid the team selection seemed very strange to me with certain players dropped when they’ve actually been playing well and others who haven’t been in the team for ages suddenly put straight into the starting line up. And where is this new centre back that we’ve signed who is supposedly not injured yet isn’t being selected for the squad at all let alone actually getting to play.

To top it off Dowse got himself sent from the dug out just before fulltime, obviously he must have said something to the inept referee.

The only highlight of the night was being one of the match sponsors guests and for this I want to thank Patrick aka Taunton Dart for his kind invitation and hospitality, it was very much appreciated.

It was a very difficult selection for MOTM as nobody really deserved it and Tom was best of the bunch. When Tom came to collect his award he did look very hurt due to the result & also embarrassed as though he didn’t really want to be there.

I only hope the players respond on Saturday at Tonbridge and put in a far better performance otherwise we could find ourselves slipping down the table come 5pm.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

I also missed the game.
But I have to be honest. We have not been impressive for quite a while
Yes the odd performance and some spells of play in games
But since the Ebbsfleet games we have not looked like a promotion candidate.
I am aware that if we did go up we would need to strengthen but I honestly believe that (Tin hat time)
we would need a Lot of new faces in the team because the National league is very tough especially for part timers travelling long distances etc.
It is still in our hands but I for one am concerned that we are looking jaded and tired
DartfordHero

Post by DartfordHero »

Not for the first time this season I walked out of the ground very bored with the playstyle of avoiding the midfield whenever possible by launching it up or playing sidewards in the midfield just to go backwards to then hit it up and bewildered how we are in the position we are. We've had teams come to our ground and play us around the pitch like we are nothing. Last night, they were quick and sharp especially considering the travelling and amount of games they've had to play recently. No one in the play offs will fear us because they've all had the better of us except for potentially St Albans who we are yet to face at home. Ironically the only team who wouldnt want to come and play us in any capacity is Ebbsfleet but they've had the last laugh. As mentioned by others, IF we do by some miracle go up then its going to take an absolute mammoth effort to build a whole new squad to be anywhere near most of the teams already established in that league
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Having read posts on here we really do NOT need a certain person telling us we are poor. He's not even watched a game. But he has achieved what he set out to do, to the point where he's got others going for the throat.
It's no good telling people not to react, they do.
I agree with you Barry, the turnover in playing staff will be wholesale. But maybe a little too late. Depth of squad was/is pretty shallow and now it's showing. The amount of chances we've had to put the 2nd spot to bed has been obvious to many for a while, we just haven't been good enough to do it.
We certainly don't need a dysfunctional half wit to tell us that. :oops:
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Don't mention 'miracles' Dartherb :D
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Babylon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:14 am
I am aware that if we did go up we would need to strengthen but I honestly believe that (Tin hat time)
we would need a Lot of new faces in the team because the National league is very tough especially for part timers travelling long distances etc.
No tin hat needed Babylon - I totally agree. There WILL be wholesale changes to the squad this summer whether we are promoted or not! There needs to be.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Just watched the goal on the highlights, it's a second ball in after a set piece once again. We have conceded so many goals because of this throughout the season and I dread to think how many points dropped it adds up to, wouldn't be surprised if it was double figures.

As others have said, all we can do is support the team. They need our support at this stage of the season there's no point arguing with eachother on here it's not worth it.
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

Babylon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:14 am I am aware that if we did go up we would need to strengthen but I honestly believe that (Tin hat time)
No need for the tin hat . I believe anyone with half a brain would agree we are not good enough for the rigours of the National league , and we certainly don’t have the financial muscle to compete on the level needed ( tin hat on 🤣) . That said , I really hope we can succeed in the playoffs and progress , but after watching last nights performance I’m not that enthusiastic on our chances .
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

I really don’t get the notion put forward by many on here, unless of course you have inside knowledge or a very effective Chrystal ball, that we wouldn’t be in any fit state to compete in the NL next season should we secure promotion this season.

Next season, granted, would need to be very different in terms of playing personnel, budget and operating model. Who’s to say we’ve not planned for that behind the scenes? What I do agree with is that this squad would not be strong enough to compete and a complete overhaul is required imho, and that would be the same if we weren’t promoted.

For now, this season not next, it’s about seeing out the season and trying to secure as high a finishing position as possible, preferably 2nd or 3rd, and then stringing together at least two consecutive wins to win the play-off’s. Sadly, playing personnel (nor our management team) is not going to change between now and 14th April, though I do hope that hearts, minds, attitudes and motivation of a number of those players does change in a positive way.

My insight? I have worked as a Director of a non-league football club (currently pushing for promotion to NLS) and have a pretty good idea of what decisions need to be made behind the scenes.

Let’s get right behind the boys again and cut out the criticism because what will be will be and none of us on here will change that.

COYD’s.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Great post Tony.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

I'm going to say it, because I feel like it's been hinted at by multiple people and feel free to tell me if I am misinterpreting certain posts but are people really starting to suggest that Dowse has completely lost the dressing room and we should be changing manager?

He didn't have a full pre season to assemble HIS squad. He did his best with very limited time last summer. The squad is not as strong as we have had in previous seasons, yet here we are fighting for 2nd place beating some teams who have spent far more than us and even some full time outfits and barring a monumental collapse from now will finish no worse off than we did last season when, in my opinion, the squad was so much stronger. Am I in the minority that think he has done a fantastic job to get us in the position to even be fighting for 2nd place?

Whether we go up or not, surely he has to have the backing from the board and the fans next season to have a full pre season to build the squad that he wants to, correcting the things that have been wrong this season and then whatever league we are in giving it a good go next season.

To even suggest that we should be thinking of a change is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Are you talking squad wise or finances Tony? i seem to be having trouble with what you are trying to say.
If we get promoted I'm sure the Board will have some plan of course, Budget wise.
If we get promoted I'm sure there will be a lot of new faces brought in by Dowse if we are to survive one season or at least a month before realising that fan and shit don't necessarily come in that order.
Much too late to do anything about this season now.
as for a change of manager?? Really. Come on.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Mark/Ozy - I am most certainly NOT suggesting we change the manager. Not sure how you’ve interpreted that from my post!! Dowse MUST be backed and, with a full pre-season to prepare I’m confident we’ll do well next season whether that be in the NL or NLS.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Actually Tony, that is what you said, although I didn't think it was what you meant.

"Sadly, playing personnel (nor our management team) is not going to change between now and 14th April"

Maybe edit that bit.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

It’s probably my use of the word “sadly” that infers I want change, which I don’t. The important bit there was the date (14th May, not April, sorry) the Play-Off Final date (have I got the date right) and potentially the end of this season. Nothing will change before that date.

We go on….
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

You can all give a test to the soul- searching after last night. When I as Match Sponsor presented Tom Bonner with the MOM award both he and Steve Irving were gutted about the result. The manager, the Board and the skipper all want promotion. Tom was unfair to be collecting the award coz we had lost.

This was my first game at PP for 8 years and it was great to see so many old friends. As for the performance - that is my fault!! I have now been to 6 matches this season, the first at Bath was a 2-0 win - how we won that I still don't know. The other 5 have all been abject displays (Taunton, Chippenham, Swindon Supermarine and Weymouth away, and then last night) which ended in defeat. So i must be the Jonah. The good news is that Tom B has banned me from attending any further matches this season. Things will therefore improve starting with a win tomorrow at Tonbridge COYD