Alex Wall (Sub)
27%
Keiran Murtagh (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 44

Pedro

Re: Dartford v Weymouth Sat 29 Oct 2022

Post by Pedro »

End to end game today and with better finishing Weymouth should have scored a couple - there again we could have had half a dozen. Glad to see Alex add to his goals scored and good performances all round. I gave my MoM to Maxwell today tidied up so much at the back.
COYD
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Just seen Webbedfeet are at H&W Weds night, so win Tuesday & we go top of the league!! Now there’s an incentive?
Don’t worry about their 3 x games in hand though, that’s not important!!
rambo

Post by rambo »

Today was not a fluid watch but all our players put in a proper shift of effort and determination
I gave mom to Charlie because he won nearly everything in the air and knit everything together
I also loved everything Alex wall did
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

I couldn’t relax until the penalty went in. As has been said before, 3-0 flattered us. I’ve long been a critic of Alex Wall and always hoped to be proved wrong. Today was the first step of that process. He took his second goal incredibly well and that penalty would have taken out the middle row behind the goal had there been no net! I can’t recall ever seeing a ball hit so hard. It lifted up the heavy weight holding the net down a good few inches. He also managed
to get off the ground for two headers but didn’t for two others. But he’s my MOTM. We’re not playing the prettiest of football but we’re winning. Two winnable games to come at home. Just hope the fitness levels stay high. We’re gonna need every ounce for the next two. Oh, nearly forgot. A decent referee at last. Said to Tony H before the game that I’d seen him before somewhere, but couldn’t recall where or when, but do recall him being okay. Best this season by a long way!
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match report by Chris Palmer

DARTFORD 3 WEYMOUTH 0

Alex Wall came off the bench to score twice and Joshua Johnson netted an excellent effort on his home debut, as a superb Dartford brushed aside struggling Weymouth in front of a crowd of 1,036.

A relatively even start saw both sides seek and probe, but neither could create anything meaningful. That was until the eleventh minute, when a good move by the hosts saw Samir Carruthers look for Charlie Sheringham with a neat cross. But, Zaki Oualah was alert and managed to punch the ball clear of the danger area.

After getting away with the warning, the visitors then fell behind after finding themselves on the receiving end of something special. Carruthers was the creator, as he collected the ball and drove forwards before feeding Joshua Johnson with a neat pass… and the loanee received it gratefully, created space for himself on the edge of the box, and fired a delightful strike into the bottom corner (14)!

The Terras tried to respond and came close five minutes later when Teddy Howe found Keelan O’Connell with a delightful ball over-the-top. Having managed to breach the defence and get in behind (a feat that would prove to be a rarity as the game progressed), O’Connell was one-on-one with Joe Young and tried an audacious chip… But, the Dartford goalkeeper was wise to it and made a comfortable save (19).

Dartford responded to the threat immediately by taking the ball straight down the other end. The move eventually reached Pierre Fonkeu, who got himself into a great position to strike a left-footed curler towards goal. But it was deflected behind for a corner which, unfortunately, was eventually cleared (20).

The lively Fonkeu would come close later on in the half and, in similar circumstances, cut inside before dragging his effort just wide of Oualah’s upright (45+1).

Meanwhile, the visitors were seeing a lot of the ball but couldn’t do anything with it. The Dartford defence, marshalled by Tom Bonner, was in top form this afternoon, leaving no space available for any Terra to take advantage of. The full-backs, Maxwell Statham and Sam Odaudu, were in fine form in particular as they tirelessly controlled the flanks, forcing Weymouth to play too narrow.

As the second-half began, Alan Dowson introduced Luke Coulson for Samir Carruthers, as he wanted more width from his side. That change would be followed by Alex Wall replacing Charlie Sheringham (67) and Keiran Murtagh coming on for Joshua Johnson (78).

The opposite dug-out would see two changes in personnel take place, as Mitch Parker came on for Ahkeem Rose (60) and Tom Blair replaced Cameron Murray (68).

Dartford began the second forty-five well, forcing three quick consecutive corners early. The second of which saw Luke Coulson deliver a great ball to Connor Essam, which the big defender headed towards goal, forcing Oualah to make an excellent save just two minutes after the break.

Very little meaningful opportunities occurred from then on, as the visitors tried to get back into the game, only for a solid Dartford unit work tirelessly to make their efforts frustrating. That was until the 73rd minute…

A Dartford attack saw them overflow into the box, resulting in a handball offense by a panicking Terra inside his own area. The referee, Mr Aaron Farmer awarded the penalty, and up-stepped Alex Wall to convert confidently (74).

Weymouth responded immediately via Keelan O’Connell, who found the rushing Tom Blair. He sent a decent cross into the Dartford danger area, but Mitch Parker failed to test Joe Young (76).

We then entered the “Alex Wall Show”, as he first received the ball after a wayward Ben Gerring pass was intercepted, before forcing a good save out of Zaki Oualah with ten minutes remaining.

The Weymouth goalkeeper wouldn’t be so fortunate next time though, as an excellent attacking move saw Fonkeu race into the box and find Wall with a brilliant pass. The super-sub then fired his second of the afternoon beyond Oualah and into the back of the net to secure the three points.

In-form Charlie Sheringham was awarded with the Man of The Match, as he and his teammates put in a superb performance to register an emphatic victory over The Terras for the first time in 32 years.

TEAMS

DARTFORD: Joe Young, Jordan Wynter, Samir Carruthers, Connor Essam, Tom Bonner (c), Maxwell Statham, Jack Smith, Pierre Fonkeu, Charlie Sheringham, Sam Odaudu, Josh Johnson.

SUBSTITUTES: Dan Wilks, Luke Coulson, Alex Wall, Keiran Murtagh, Davide Rodari.

WEYMOUTH: Zaki Oualah, Teddy Howe, Ben Gerring, Dan Matsuzaka, Harry Kyprianou, Xander McBurnie (c), Cameron Murray, Tom Bearwish, Akheem Rose, Bradley Ash, Keelan O’Connell.

SUBSTITUTES: Josh Oyinsan, Tom Blair, Tyler Forbes, Ed James, Mitch Parker.

By Chris Palmer
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Again we stuttered and farted around and, like said, until Wall stuck the penalty away did I feel comfortable. Weymouth definately in a false position and could have been a couple of goals in front until the pen.
Statham and Wynter were doing okay and Joe had hardly had save to make other than the poor finish with the one on one.
I suppose you could say it was another ugly win and 3-0 flattered us. Will have to play a lot better Tuesday and next Saturday. As said, others may have a couple of games in hand on us but as long as we keep getting wins it puts the pressure on them.
If you'd have said we would be second in the league with 34 points at the end of October after the start we had I'd grabbed it with both hands.
My MOTM Pierre Fonkeu, he did a fair supporting roll to both the front men used, his passing was accurate and he distributed well. He ran from one end to the other the full 90 and even got back to defend well. Well done Pierre. Great game for him.
COYD's
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Very pleased with the win and good to keep a clean sheet although I was worried that they might score as they looked better than their position at the moment and but for some poor finishing by them and some good defending by us our 1-0 at half time looked risky.
But a much improved second half and with the help of the penalty so well taken by Alex and his super finish for the third we finished with a comfortable win.
An excellent substitution by the manager as Charlie was tiring out there after another good performance winning almost everything in the air and often seen directing players where to go in the penalty area for free kicks and corners and his non stop running up and down the pitch sees him getting my M.O.M.
Alex though was certainly in contention and I can understand why he is picking up the main votes with his much improved performance as we see him starting to get fitter and getting the power back behind his shooting strength something we remember from the past and I am very pleased to be proved wrong about my initial thoughts on his signing.
Finally I am pleased though to see that the majority of posts on here by the fans recognise that we are not yet at our very best and that there are still improvements to be made as we progress through the season and my hope is that we can sign a winger to put in the telling crosses that we need with both Alex and Charlie getting on the end of them.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

First half was pretty even without any side really in control, but a great strike form Josh saw us leading at the break.
Second half we looked a lot stronger than Weymouth and in the last 15-20 mins could have had a couple more, but the game was a little closer than the scoreline suggests.
Weymouth looked lively going forward but as others have said, they lacked a cutting edge up front.
Subs worked well again and good to see Alex getting amongst the goals, he does strike the ball so well.
We're on a great run and Dowse said we are getting players back to fitness which is good as we have a lot of tough games ahead.

We deserved the victory and i have given my MOTM to Max Statham, imo his best game for us.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

Alex Wall has always had talent but some people questioned his attitude and commitment.
He is a good player imo and I hope that he stays with us because Dowse obviously rates him and he proved what handful he can be against Weymouth.
46 league games means that we need a strong squad not just a best eleven.
Keep it up Wallie!!
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

I know I've referred to this before. Play-off final.
Woking versus Welling. Dowson v King.
King post-match bemoaning the fact Welling had more of the ball. Created more chances.
But like Weymouth yesterday they didn't take them.
Final score Woking 1 Welling 0.
I don't know how many chances Woking actually created that day.
Maybe it was only one. But they took it.
We lost our unbeaten home record to Maidstone last season.
They went 1-0 up. Then for the entire second half they were horrible and boring to watch.
But as with Woking in that play- off final they knew how to get across the line.
Give me Dowse and his coaching staff any day of the week.
It's not always going to be pretty to watch. But play attractive crowd pleasing football every week and come the end of the season you'll win sweet FA.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

Ajaxman DFC wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:49 pm I know I've referred to this before. Play-off final.
Woking versus Welling. Dowson v King.
King post-match bemoaning the fact Welling had more of the ball. Created more chances.
But like Weymouth yesterday they didn't take them.
Final score Woking 1 Welling 0.
I don't know how many chances Woking actually created that day.
Maybe it was only one. But they took it.
We lost our unbeaten home record to Maidstone last season.
They went 1-0 up. Then for the entire second half they were horrible and boring to watch.
But as with Woking in that play- off final they knew how to get across the line.
Give me Dowse and his coaching staff any day of the week.
It's not always going to be pretty to watch. But play attractive crowd pleasing football every week and come the end of the season you'll win sweet FA.

I was at that game and Welling were very unfortunate. No comment on the other point we’ll see what happens.
We all want the same goal regardless of whom is in charge.