Pre season friendly Canvey Island v Dartford Sat 30th July 2022 at 3pm

KingKong

Re: Pre season friendly Canvey Island v Dartford Sat 30th July 2022 at 3pm

Post by KingKong »

It was pretty turgid stuff. Dont want to read too much into friendlies but that was a bit concerning. Thought i was back in Sudbury. Pierre Fonkeu didnt really back up his decent performance against Boreham Wood and the only forward who looked like he belongs in the NLS was Danny Roberts.
DA1

Post by DA1 »

It really wasn’t great viewing from us. Poor first half. Livened up a little second half and I’ll echo the view about Dan Roberts playing well. Likewise yes it was a friendly but you want to see some promise from the performance. Anyway on to Bath where it gets real and let’s hope it’s better than today.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Haven't seen any of the ore-season games and my comments here are based upon results, strength of squad, highlights and the opinions of others. So, we’ll do very very well to come away from Bath next Saturday with a draw. I’m my opinion the squad is lightweight. Hope Dan Roberts fulfills his immense promise in front of goal, otherwise not sure here our goals will come from.

Sincerely hope I’m proved wrong!
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

Get on Bath for Saturday , earn a few quid!
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

I hope I’m wrong , I hope dartford are successful on and off the pitch as u have grandchildren I would like to take to watch or to play for the club . If this squad provides a play off season under this manager who at minute has assembled that won’t challenge for play offs, I will apologise and donate 100 pound to charity oim wrong and feel sorry for Tom bonner who should of got the job , but probably wouldn’t of been the yes man the board wanted.
Last edited by Lennylenny on Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Lennylenny wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:56 pm I hope I’m wrong , I hope dartford are successful on and off the pitch as u have grandchildren I would like to take to watch or to play for the club . If this squad provides a play off season under this manager who at minute has assembled a embarrassing squad and comes across as the boards poodle , I will apologise and donate 100 pound to charity of his choice. I so hope im wrong and feel sorry for Tom bonner who should of got the job , but probably wouldn’t of been the yes man the board wanted.
You'd rather have Tom Bonner who has no managerial experience whatsoever than Dowse who has proven himself at this level? Baffling. How did Coyle and Flanagan get on when they were here?

Its pre season and people already overreacting
Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

We will see
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Giving the new manager time usually suggests significantly more than one second of competitive football!
Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

Reacting as he made a squad that wouldn’t strike fear into dartford 5th scouts seconds. If he was brought into the club to oversee the academy , drink ten
Pints in the bar and be a likeable yes man, then he is the man r for the job.,if he was brought into get us into the conference I think , by December there probably have to be a rethink
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Sounds like Dowse is signing the No 18 trialist from todays game, he only played the 1st half today but scored against
Boreham Wood.
He’s also bringing in 2 loanee’s this week from higher league clubs.
Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

Time will tell.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

I ain’t too impressed with these last two pre-season friendlies either. Given that they are immediately before the start of the season and should reflect a ‘settled’ side. But I can’t comment too much cos I just can’t bear friendlies and don’t attend. However, I think we should wait till at least the end of September and few competitive games under our belt before we begin sharpening the knives.

I would love to see Tom Bonner here as manager/coach one day. But he’s far from ready. And he’s got a few good seasons as captain and centre-half yet!

I predict a ‘slow burn’ start to the season before we make an impact.
Last edited by Sleightly Deceptive on Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

I have seen all pre season friendlies and got to say this season I have written off already can’t see how we will score the goals to challenge, defence looks good but need a 20 goal a season goal scorer, Ebbsfleet have a few, StAlbans have Jeffers H@W have Prior Worthing have Robinson.

This has a feel like it did when Flanagan and Coyle were managing the club and we know how that ended,

I was a Kingy supporter and one thing you could guarantee was a play off position, yes I believe he lost his way at the end of the season but didn’t think he deserved the sack, unless something else happened which I’m guessing is what has happened but I feel you got to be privileged few to know exactly what happened, maybe the few that now state they have there club back very annoying statement as if Dowse does not get it right on the pitch and I hope he does there will be quite a few that will be calling for Kingy to be back not that will happen
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

No one wins anything pre-season. It's about fitness, formations etc. And most importantly you don't want to risk needless injuries before the season starts.
Dowse is a wily old dog. And if there were any representatives from Bath City watching yesterday they would have learned nothing.
Job well done.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Mark Sweet wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 am
Lennylenny wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:56 pm I hope I’m wrong , I hope dartford are successful on and off the pitch as u have grandchildren I would like to take to watch or to play for the club . If this squad provides a play off season under this manager who at minute has assembled a embarrassing squad and comes across as the boards poodle , I will apologise and donate 100 pound to charity of his choice. I so hope im wrong and feel sorry for Tom bonner who should of got the job , but probably wouldn’t of been the yes man the board wanted.
You'd rather have Tom Bonner who has no managerial experience whatsoever than Dowse who has proven himself at this level? Baffling. How did Coyle and Flanagan get on when they were here?

Its pre season and people already overreacting
Well said, Mark. Let’s see how the squad is shaping up 10 games in. That’s generally a reasonable indicator. With Dowse’s experience I expect us to secure a play off spot come the end of a very long, 46 match season. And of course that’s when the lottery begins and anything come happen as we found out in the play offs last year and several attempts previously.
Skip (now residing in Suffolk)
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

I sincerely hope I’m wrong too!
Let’s see how the first couple of months go.
I am really looking forward to the start of another season.
COYDs
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Jesus, let's give the guy a chance. Last two friendlies I would regard as 'warm ups' or 'downs' (no disrespect to both CI or Chatham) and like said previous, we do not want injuries now.
I do not regard us as anything near promotion or play off material but Dowse hasn't made any promises as to regarding that to my knowledge.
We will see what happens next month before anyone should be shouting.
I noticed our friend has risen his ugly head and I do wish Dean that you would not rise to the bait.
If we are going down that road this season I for one will not be commenting on many things. :(
Let's hope we get something from Bath City, even under King it wasn't an easy task.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Impossible to eradicate all pre-season doom-mongery. Some folk are much happier to predict the worst so they can say “I told you so” if things don’t work out and just enjoy the ride if it goes well.
It’s a very win-win stance for those who like to sneer.

I’ve not attended the friendlies this season (apart from Charlton), but the results are completely irrelevant and if AD says he has the measure of the squad and it is strong, then with his pedigree that is good enough for me, certainly at this stage.