Should we go full time if the finances allow?

Babylon

Should we go full time if the finances allow?

Post by Babylon »

After looking at the National league table there are a lot of ex league clubs and full time non league clubs .
So is it time for the club to consider it ( if finances allow obviously)
Park Life

Re: Should we go full time if the finances allow?

Post by Park Life »

If we can yes 100%.
Ive been speaking about this for the last few weeks. There are 4 clubs in our league that i believe are full time so we must look to see if it's possible to give us the best chance of progressing.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

I personally think so.
Not only does it give us the best chance of going up sooner rather than later, whenever that does happen we will be in a much better position to try and sustain ourselves at the next level.

Obviously I'm not too clued up on how we're doing financially and financial stability is the most important thing at the end of the day but we need to see progression rather than stagnation/regression.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

I think Mark Sweet sums it up perfectly.

I forgot to mention that 3 of the 4 teams I believe are full time in our division finished above us. I dont think that's a coincidence.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Park Life wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:17 am I think Mark Sweet sums it up perfectly.

I forgot to mention that 3 of the 4 teams I believe are full time in our division finished above us. I dont think that's a coincidence.
No coincidence at all I'd say.

Who is the other full time team in the division though? I can't work it out.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

I believe Havant are full time as well.
Number Six

Post by Number Six »

Absolute “no brainer” if finances allow and we have serious ambitions for promotion to the National League. A full time fitter, well trained squad may also slow down the revolving door. I appreciate we have had a number of injuries this season but nearly 50 players ? Really ?
I like many feel there is a lack of team spirit and togetherness.
The first season in the NL with TB I think there was a real “Team spirit” which has been sadly lacking this season.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

I appreciate the fact that the injuries have taken their toll but When you here that other clubs have had success with a squad of 20 or so then maybe going full time (if finances allow) is the way to.go.

I do agree though that it cannot be easy to create a great team spirit when the revolving door is working overtime.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Number Six wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:42 am Absolute “no brainer” if finances allow and we have serious ambitions for promotion to the National League. A full time fitter, well trained squad may also slow down the revolving door. I appreciate we have had a number of injuries this season but nearly 50 players ? Really ?
I like many feel there is a lack of team spirit and togetherness.
The first season in the NL with TB I think there was a real “Team spirit” which has been sadly lacking this season.
The team spirit was with that squad in the the seasons prior to that season, and it is credit to TB that a lot of that squad were the same players who achieved promotion.

TB didn't make too many additions to the promotion team, but his master signing to me was that of Mark Arber who was able to bring a lot if experience to the team, and who brought a lot of guidance to a youngish Tom Bonner.

TB also seemed to have a policy of bringing a player to the club towards the end of one season with a view to being a firm member of the squad the following season.

That first season up in the National League was absolutely astounding, and it was only in successively seasons when players like Champion and Bonner went on to League football, that we began to struggle.

I admit I do not know the answer to whether it be full time or part time in the future, although full time may offer the better opportunities. However, at the end of the day, only 2 teams get promoted, so even with 4 current full time teams, 2 of them most definitely will not get promoted, so full time is no guarantee if promotion! Just ask Havant & Waterlooville!

And I am also concerned that our current level of support is not high enough to sustain full time football. It is a bigger jump nowadays to the National League than it was 10-15 years ago, and both Kings Lynn and Weymouth have been relegated after just one season too. Mind you, with ex EFL teams like Notts County, Grimsby, Wrexham and with Oldham and Scunthorpe joining the league next season, it would make for some attractive fixtures.

I always recall TB's statement from many years ago that he would not exceed his playing budget and put the clubs future in doubt. Only the board know the true facts of the clubs financial situation, sponsorship, running expenses, maintenance and budgets. So if the board are confident of the future and decide to go full time, I will support them, as I would also do, if they took the decision not to turn full time.

COYD
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

Full time is absolutely the way to go if we can afford to. I’d be surprised if the board have not looked into this already at times. Would be good to know from them what their thoughts are on the subject as they are the ones that know if it’s a pipe dream for the moment or it’s something that can be looked into seriously.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I very much doubt full time is possible, if it were then I expect we would be full time already.

There are several local clubs such as Bromley and Sutton who have gone full time and had real success in recent seasons, there are also clubs such as Dulwich, Dover and Havant who will be in a similar position (league) to us currently.

There are no guarantees but with clubs in the league above operating as full time clubs if we do achieve promotion it will be an achievement to survive more than a couple of seasons in the national league.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

Harry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 pm I very much doubt full time is possible, if it were then I expect we would be full time already.

There are several local clubs such as Bromley and Sutton who have gone full time and had real success in recent seasons, there are also clubs such as Dulwich, Dover and Havant who will be in a similar position (league) to us currently.

There are no guarantees but with clubs in the league above operating as full time clubs if we do achieve promotion it will be an achievement to survive more than a couple of seasons in the national league.

So the question is will we ever go part time in any situation?
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

What exactly is "full time"? Looking at a couple of teams who finished above us, they appear to train 3 mornings per week as opposed to our 2 evenings per week. This doesn't seem too much of a step up but if this results in a 5% increase on performances and results, then I'm all for it. These small margins could make all the difference and I can't see it making too much of an impact on our finances, SK would just need to trim the squad numbers down to an acceptable level. However, we would probably lose a few players who won't be able to commit.

I hope the club makes an early call on the subject and I'm looking already looking forward to seeing the retained/ released player list.
rambo

Post by rambo »

We need ambition to be promoted and to go full time otherwise what is the point of it all
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

rambo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:58 pm We need ambition to be promoted and to go full time otherwise what is the point of it all
100% agree with this. We need to make the right noises to keep fans' interest. If it's just the same ol' every season of nearly getting out of the National League South, floating non-league fans will spend their money at one of our rivals. Really think we are getting to make or break time at Dartford.
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:36 am
rambo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:58 pm We need ambition to be promoted and to go full time otherwise what is the point of it all
100% agree with this. We need to make the right noises to keep fans' interest. If it's just the same ol' every season of nearly getting out of the National League South, floating non-league fans will spend their money at one of our rivals. Really think we are getting to make or break time at Dartford.

I wouldn’t know if you’re one of the younger generation of fans that support DFC ? but many of the older generation have supported this club through thick and thin (some as many as 70+years ) I myself have supported the The Darts for over 50+ years , and many of us have had the same aspirations for our club as you have now ? But the Club is now 134 years old and we have been more or less at this level for most of that time , and sometimes like many other clubs in the same position as us, you just have to accept that this is about as best it will get ? Yes we have had a brief spell at the top level back in the day in the Gola league and more recently under TB in the National and yes we excelled in the first season and attendances were up on average mainly because the likes of Luton and Bristol Rovers bringing vast numbers , but the inevitable happened and we eventually were relegated like many of the other clubs that have gone before and after us . The idea of going full time as been spouted around since I was a kid ,so it’s nothing new ? I do think we have a fantastic setup at Dartford and I believe the Club are ambitious , but ambition comes at a price and none of us are privy to the financial side of things ? We are a well run club without the backing of a rich benefactor, unlike most of the teams occupying the National league ? So basically we are what we are , a club without a sugar daddy and being run by a board of old Darts fans doing a fantastic job in getting this club back to where we are now ,considering where we were back in 92 ? So we can all wish for greater success and giddy heights , but it does come at a cost ,and like us older fans who have dreamed of that day since we were kids , I wouldn’t get to excited even if we went full time , because at the end of the day we are just another small fish in a very big pond .
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Top Cat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:50 am

I wouldn’t know if you’re one of the younger generation of fans that support DFC ? but many of the older generation have supported this club through thick and thin (some as many as 70+years ) I myself have supported the The Darts for over 50+ years , and many of us have had the same aspirations for our club as you have now ? But the Club is now 134 years old and we have been more or less at this level for most of that time , and sometimes like many other clubs in the same position as us, you just have to accept that this is about as best it will get ? Yes we have had a brief spell at the top level back in the day in the Gola league and more recently under TB in the National and yes we excelled in the first season and attendances were up on average mainly because the likes of Luton and Bristol Rovers bringing vast numbers , but the inevitable happened and we eventually were relegated like many of the other clubs that have gone before and after us . The idea of going full time as been spouted around since I was a kid ,so it’s nothing new ? I do think we have a fantastic setup at Dartford and I believe the Club are ambitious , but ambition comes at a price and none of us are privy to the financial side of things ? We are a well run club without the backing of a rich benefactor, unlike most of the teams occupying the National league ? So basically we are what we are , a club without a sugar daddy and being run by a board of old Darts fans doing a fantastic job in getting this club back to where we are now ,considering where we were back in 92 ? So we can all wish for greater success and giddy heights , but it does come at a cost ,and like us older fans who have dreamed of that day since we were kids , I wouldn’t get to excited even if we went full time , because at the end of the day we are just another small fish in a very big pond .
Wise-words here. In response, I'm far from what you'd refer to as a younger generation of supporter these days (my body sure doesn't feel like it) but also not been around following the team for as long as you have. My hat off to you for that.

While I appreciate that the idea of full-time is not a new one, I think it needs to happen. I accept that as it stands, this is probably the best we can hope for (or at a push we go up to the non-league top flight and then struggle for a season against those who act in a full-time setting).

I am not one that thinks we should just accept our lots in life. We should always try and better ourselves and that comes with the football teams we follow also. I'm not suggesting we are going to be making inroads up the Football League. That's a massive step, but we should be having more success at least being in the top flight of the non-league game. Next season included will be eight seasons in a row at National League South level.

I know we need to do things in a responsible way and a way that doesn't jeopardise the future of Dartford FC. But when I see other clubs who have been at - or around - our level (Bromley, Maidstone United both in the National League and the likes of Sutton United who have managed to get to League Two and establish themselves this season as well as Forest Green Rovers who will be playing League One football next season) then I think we do need to be more brave when it comes to change at the club and not just do things in a certain way because that's how we've always done them. Progress is a risk, but for me, a risk worth taking.
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

SKennedyDFC wrote: ↑

I know we need to do things in a responsible way and a way that doesn't jeopardise the future of Dartford FC. But when I see other clubs who have been at - or around - our level (Bromley, Maidstone United both in the National League and the likes of Sutton United who have managed to get to League Two and establish themselves this season as well as Forest Green Rovers who will be playing League One football next season) then I think we do need to be more brave when it comes to change at the club and not just do things in a certain way because that's how we've always done them. Progress is a risk, but for me, a risk worth taking.

SK this was the point I was making , those clubs you have mentioned are all owned or run by rich businessmen , with Forest Green owned by a man who has over a £100 million fortune ? And it’s no coincidence that the two teams playing for a playoff place have both got wealthy financial backing ?
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Top Cat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:41 pm SKennedyDFC wrote: ↑

SK this was the point I was making , those clubs you have mentioned are all owned or run by rich businessmen , with Forest Green owned by a man who has over a £100 million fortune ? And it’s no coincidence that the two teams playing for a playoff place have both got wealthy financial backing ?
Then maybe that's the next step we should be looking at? This board have done a great job getting us to this point, but maybe we need fresh investment from someone with more financial muscle to come in now to take Dartford forward.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Suggestions on a postcard please.