Ade Azeez (Sub)
No votes
Jordan Greenidge (Sub)
3%

Total votes: 36

Silverado

Re: Dartford v Chippenham Thu 12 May 2022 19:45

Post by Silverado »

With two of the best defences in the division, a 0-0 was perhaps not surprising (although the Chips did make one glaring miss). But the penalty shoot-out. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it: 5 out of 10 saved - not misses wide or high, mind you, but actually SAVED by the keeper. In our last shoot-out (against Welling in the KSC if I remember aright) we scored 5 out of 5. Were any of the scorers that night subbed off last night before the end of the 120 minutes? And if they hadn’t been, would it have made any difference, Mr King? Who knows? But you can't help wondering (or I can't at least).
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:24 am
JCJ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:52 am
SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:10 am

Multiple things wrong here IMO.

Firstly, most club's have injuries / suspensions throughout a season. It's inevitable. Yet the more successful ones (look at Maidstone United for example - whose manager has come out and said it's down to a solid stable team that has led them to success this year) had a core group of players who made up the majority of the squad. If you look at the team that started this season for us, it is a million miles different from the one that ended it.

If King can't recognise a good player or bad player before having to play him for two or three games then that says a lot about him as a manager. What he has got is a good network of connections in football, however, this had led to players drifting in and out of the club without so much of a mention (that bit comes down to the poor comms in place at Dartford these days).

Regarding the academy, what's the point in having it if we are never going to reap the rewards of trying some of these kids in competitive games? Again is this because King cannot develop talent himself?

One of my key issues with King is that he is very short-termism. He looks at the immediate games and doesn't look to develop a squad with a team mentality. You only have to look at the reactions of some of the players who have worked under him (take Ryan Hayes for instance) to see how he is a poor man-manager.

I also struggle to see what brand of football / style of football he is going for? It beggars belief that we can turn up to some games and smash teams 6-0 or 7-2 and then go and lose 1-0 to a low side like Braintree or put in an abject performance like we did last night. This to me says that the players HE has selected and brought to the club are not consistent enough to take us to the next level.

Other clubs around us are pushing forwards (Ebbsfleet United, Bromley and Maidstone United) and we are standing still or, worse, going backwards! Floating fans will go and spend their money watching a higher division than another season of National League South football given the chance.

I've lost count now of the times King has failed in the play-offs but it's almost inevitable that you're going to lose with him in charge. He's failed twice with us now and for most managers that would be the final nail in the coffin.

We could have had games next season against Oldham Athletic, Scunthorpe United and Southend United. Instead we have matches with Cheshunt, Worthing and Farnborough. That's the price of King's failures!
I think you have an agenda to get King'y out of the club, because you don't like him or he has upset people former staff of the club , how can you call his first season here a failure he took us from the brink of a relegation season to a play off final and again he got us to the play-off this season which is what he said he would do,
You cannot argue we have had our fair amount of injuries and players that were out of form at the same time, look at how many left backs we have had injured this season, He had to go out and get more players to maintain a challenge sorry to say using academy players that are not at this level yet would have been a disaster and people would have said why didn't he use any of his contacts instead of academy players.

Your entitled to your opinion but it is becoming a vendetta because you don't like him rather than what is best for the club and I'm not just talking about on this forum but also on twitter and believe me its just not this club you do it to you are the same for CAFC always negative .

Kingy is the way forward in my opinion as I cannot see who else could come in and have us challenging at the top end of the table rather than relegation which was where we were before he came in.

DFC have played in 4 play-offs and only one won, Yes Kingy has been the manger at the two off them but we had no right to be involved in his first one when you look at where DFC where when he took over
The agenda argument is laughable. I don't have a say on who stays and who goes from the football club, but I am entitled (as you so rightly put it) to my own opinion.

I'm up front with it. I don't like King. I don't think he's good for the club. I don't think he's a good manager. That doesn't mean I don't want us to do well? But this season has been an abject failure. I really wanted Dartford to get promoted this season, but it wasn't ever going to be the case the way things have been going.

Very odd of you to go hunting around Twitter to see what I post and then to get it so wrong. I have put plenty of supportive comments up for both Charlton and Dartford. Very weird for you to think that you can only post positive comments and anything negative posted is somehow invalid?

There is a very strange group on this forum that really get on their high-horse whenever someone dares criticise the team. Odd behaviour.

Suggest we leave it there as we are not going to agree.

I think it’s not that people criticise, I got shot down a few weeks ago for being negative after Braintree, it’s the posters that do nothing but criticise. I’m not suggesting that’s you but the people who are negative and never anything else are right to be called out. I posted on this thread kingy needs to take responsibility but I still back him. Praise and criticism when it’s due surely
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

KentC. wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:42 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:24 am
JCJ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:52 am

I think you have an agenda to get King'y out of the club, because you don't like him or he has upset people former staff of the club , how can you call his first season here a failure he took us from the brink of a relegation season to a play off final and again he got us to the play-off this season which is what he said he would do,
You cannot argue we have had our fair amount of injuries and players that were out of form at the same time, look at how many left backs we have had injured this season, He had to go out and get more players to maintain a challenge sorry to say using academy players that are not at this level yet would have been a disaster and people would have said why didn't he use any of his contacts instead of academy players.

Your entitled to your opinion but it is becoming a vendetta because you don't like him rather than what is best for the club and I'm not just talking about on this forum but also on twitter and believe me its just not this club you do it to you are the same for CAFC always negative .

Kingy is the way forward in my opinion as I cannot see who else could come in and have us challenging at the top end of the table rather than relegation which was where we were before he came in.

DFC have played in 4 play-offs and only one won, Yes Kingy has been the manger at the two off them but we had no right to be involved in his first one when you look at where DFC where when he took over
The agenda argument is laughable. I don't have a say on who stays and who goes from the football club, but I am entitled (as you so rightly put it) to my own opinion.

I'm up front with it. I don't like King. I don't think he's good for the club. I don't think he's a good manager. That doesn't mean I don't want us to do well? But this season has been an abject failure. I really wanted Dartford to get promoted this season, but it wasn't ever going to be the case the way things have been going.

Very odd of you to go hunting around Twitter to see what I post and then to get it so wrong. I have put plenty of supportive comments up for both Charlton and Dartford. Very weird for you to think that you can only post positive comments and anything negative posted is somehow invalid?

There is a very strange group on this forum that really get on their high-horse whenever someone dares criticise the team. Odd behaviour.

Suggest we leave it there as we are not going to agree.

I think it’s not that people criticise, I got shot down a few weeks ago for being negative after Braintree, it’s the posters that do nothing but criticise. I’m not suggesting that’s you but the people who are negative and never anything else are right to be called out. I posted on this thread kingy needs to take responsibility but I still back him. Praise and criticism when it’s due surely
Absolutely, and my post wasn't aimed at you so apologies if it appeared like it was.

I agree on the praise and criticism when it's due, and I think now we know the outcome of the season, the criticism is rightly due. I've posted very little throughout the season on this forum as numerous people here jump straight on anyone who says something they don't like. Maybe that's just systemic of today's society.

I'll add that sometimes you get a manager at your club that you just don't like and don't rate. That's Steve King for me. What I think he's good at is blowing his own trumpet and pointing the finger at others when the blame is on his shoulders. I don't like the way he runs football teams, I don't rate his 'style' of football nor him as a man-manager.

I also think it's easy to say we've had loads of injuries hence the high squad turnover, but you look at Steve King teams of the past and he's always done this no matter what. He is not, in my view, developing the talent base we have in our academy (clearly there are some players there as some are getting snapped up by professional teams without getting so much as a look in by King).

As far as those who throw around this nonsense about having an agenda, that would only be relevant if I had a say in the operations of the club. I really don't! Therefore it's just my view. As a fan of the club (just not all the people).

Would I have loved us to go up this season under King? Yes absolutely, and if that had been the case then I doubt anyone would have minded people waxing lyrical about what an achievement that is. However, when he's failed AGAIN in the play-offs, he has to take his large share of the blame for a season where we were running away with the league early on only to capitulate (both in the league and the various cups) in games we really should not have.

Yesterday is was a bitter pill to swallow, now some need to take a hard look at themselves (both King and a number of the squad).

Hopefully we can end the season on a mini-high on Tuesday night with a victory in the Kent Senior Cup. (Will that be making history by winning the same cup twice in one season?) :D
V184

Post by V184 »

KentC. wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:13 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:02 pm
Wookie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 pm

And get who?
I'm sure there is someone out there who can do better. So short-sighted to think King is the only option.

Come on you’ve given your opinion so who would you replace him with
Jamie Day ;)
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Mark Sweet mentioned
One thing I want to also add, we have played some of our best football on 4G pitches this season where the ball is allowed to move smoothly and predictably, yet we insist every week on turning those bloody sprinklers on for 5-10 minutes before the match, which completely soddens areas of the pitch and then we have players slipping and the ball moving in strange ways, I really really don't know why we do it.
I have to agree with this as so many of us older fans behind the goal made the same comment with players slipping and failing to control the ball and long balls skidding off the surface passed players.

On the game itself our forwards contributed one shot on target the only save their keeper made
At the other end their forwards hit the target several times and Reice made 2 or 3 excellent saves to keep the score at 0-0 and our defence played well but so did theirs for the 90 minutes
Penalties more of a joke with both sides having shots saves but Reice did the job again for us (my M.O.M.) after we missed the first two to claw us back
into the shoot out and then the worst penalty had to be our 5th with a lightly tapped shot straight at the keeper leaving them to just make sure of a goal and the win

Congratulation Chippenham well played
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Yes, jejune. Hope we defend better. And we did. We played a team that had put 7(seven) past us in the league matches this season. Although over the ninety minutes alone Chips could have had three (3).
We had a few chances, but we laboured away and didn't look too convincing. Even as we went into penalties I still thought we were going to win. Of course missing the first two didn't help and that was the only time I felt we were going to lose. With Reice performing miracles in goal to then go 2-1 up I felt again we'd cracked it. But then we contrived to throw it away.
This thread has turned into the Steve King debate??? and yet if we'd got the win it would all be about Sunday.
Good performance dotted around the pitch Jernade, Jack, Samir, Kory, Tom, and Olu who pulled up at one point with an injury and yet carried on. (Maybe shouldn't have taken the penalty.)
So, bitter disappointment at not going to the match on Sunday. I hope that Chippenham DO them. But could be a Dorking/ Ebbsfleet final and I'm hoping the Ebbsfleet manager will be disappointed having out-played every team this season, even when losing.
I will leave you all to carry on the King debate. Have a good Summer.
My MOTM Jernade Meade.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Over watered pitch was mentioned some weeks ago. Can't see the point of it. As mentioned.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

ozymandias wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:32 pm Over watered pitch was mentioned some weeks ago. Can't see the point of it. As mentioned.
It’s just a toy. We have a watering system so let’s use it and show it off. It’s only use is when it’s not raining! Bin it!
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

V184 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:02 pm
I'm sure there is someone out there who can do better. So short-sighted to think King is the only option.

Jamie Day ;)

I have genuinely no idea where he is or what he’s doing. Do you?
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

Sleightly Deceptive wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:38 pm
ozymandias wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:32 pm Over watered pitch was mentioned some weeks ago. Can't see the point of it. As mentioned.
It’s just a toy. We have a watering system so let’s use it and show it off. It’s only use is when it’s not raining! Bin it!

Watering the pitch is a good idea for a passing team. So I agree with it. But we flooded it. There were patches that had been drenched through
Spike

Post by Spike »

I'm quite happy to argue different opinions with people who do genuinely support the club (Up The Darts). That, after all is the whole point of a forum. The one thing that really hacks me off though, is when people start whinging about not being allowed to comment without being "jumped on" or nonsense about forum police and such like. Ironically, it's the people who dish out the most criticism who are frequently the first to complain when other people have the audacity to hold a different view. This has been happening for years and it's really quite pathetic. It's a forum!!! Debating opinion is the whole f***inng point. Say your piece, argue your case, but have the balls to accept you might occasionally be disagreed with. Freedom of speech doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you.
Ring of fire

Post by Ring of fire »

No need to debate at this freezing point...
Long live Peter the Penguin!
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

KentC. wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:45 pm
V184 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm

Jamie Day ;)

I have genuinely no idea where he is or what he’s doing. Do you?
Isn't he the manager of the Bangladesh National Team now? May be wrong.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Seems completely ridiculous that we’re debating a change of manager on here. Steve King is the best of the best at this level and, for sure, will be working extra hard next season to take us one step further. We have no divine right to promotion. It was always going to be a tough season and it proved to be exactly that. Lots of positives from the season if we’re all honest about it. Back the manager and he will do the business.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Feeling empty today but not so surprised.
Chippenham keeper didn’t have a save to make until the penalties. Not as devastating as Weymouth, but certainly disappointed.
End of season beano to Weymouth next year please.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Babylon

Post by Babylon »

Strange how we can score 6,0,7and0
against decent oppo in our last 4 games.
No shots on target until the pens?...if that is true then we need to take a long hard.look at ourselves .
Consistency. Wins leagues.
I fancied us to beat the Fleet especially away from home but it wasn't meant to be.
Oh.well there is always next.season.
LA Dart

Post by LA Dart »

Gary C wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:47 am£210 - 16861
Thx...
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

By the way we’ll done to the fans behind the goal I think they were bloody fantastic. The first half in particular was a tough watch but they didn’t stop all game and the volume was brilliant to hear. I think that support behind the goal in particular has been brilliant all season .
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Some interesting tweets here from Robinson and Porter. Can't see either of them being here next season if I'm honest, seems they are as confused as we are about some of the team selections. Would be a real shame as Robinson is still a top player and just got unlucky with injuries. Porter has been quality at times too