This may annoy some

Kebabus

This may annoy some

Post by Kebabus »

Good evening, hope you are all well.

Having attended a few games home and away in the last 6 weeks, I am very surprised at the atmosphere amongst most of the fans, a result of some mighty underwhelming performances
Chippenham and Oxford were way below par, on and off the field. I’m confused why there is so much mediocrity about the place. What happened to that team that won 10 on the trot? Is it all down to the loss of Noor Husin? Was it injuries? Too many loans? Tinkering? What is it?

Things that annoy me are lack of news, discovering we have signed someone hours before a match, the use of about 50 players. Despite this we are 4th in the league and we should be all upbeat and be delighted, but a lot are not, not inspired really, is that true?

What is it about this season, why is there not enormous confidence about our play off prospects, where have many hundreds of fans gone?

What is it?
MickW

Re: This may annoy some

Post by MickW »

Good post.
I too have been frustrated this season, largely I think because I have seen just how good we can be and then how bad.
I am at a loss to understand the huge number of players that have passed through our doors. I am sure that I saw a comment from a Welling fan saying that Steve King had left there due to a disagreement on bringing players in - perhaps he does not have the patience or the confidence in his staff's ability to develop the players we have. There also seems to be no pathway for academy players to get game time with the first team.
Yes, we sit high in the league but we seem to be a long way away from building a team that we could feel confident about going forward.
I have no idea how we have financed the additions to the squad this year but I don't see it as a long term model if we were to progress to the next division.
So I look forward to the playoffs and doing well, but really feel we are so close to what we ought to be yet so far off it too!
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

You had to look at the team sheet Saturday to see how many players were in the side at the start of the season. 5.
Yes, we have had injuries with Luke Allen, Jordan Wynter, Conor Essam, Jernade Meade, Josh Hill, Danny Leonard, Jake Robinson long term. Tom Bonner and Jack Jebb for a certain amount of time also.
We have had good players coming in also. Kalvin Kalala, Kory Roberts, Marcus Dinanga, Ody Alfa and Samir Carruthers.
I think SK has been a tad unlucky with injuries. But also we've had an excellent Keeper in Dan Wilks and also a centre forward in Ade Azeez who suddenly lost his goal scoring capability's and confidence. Losing Noor Husin didn't help the situation and with George Porter and Tyrique Hyde doing a lot of bench warming I don't think that all these situations have done us any favours at all.
When asked to vote for the Player of the year at the gate Saturday it was a toss up between two or three players but no one sprang into my mind straight off. I think we've done very well to get into the play-offs and I still think we will be the dark horses.
Well, that's my view anyway, I don't care what B&Warmy thinks. :D
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

There is a different culture /atmosphere around the Team than in the Tony Burman days when the core of the team namely Bradbrook , Noble , Hayes , Burns , Harris [ +others ] would sign on for the next season and then ask what they would be getting paid , the majority of the current squad
[ Bonner excepted ] are journeymen who have had at least 6 clubs and stayed nowhere very long and do NOT have the same loyalty , not helped by the revolving door !!!

I still want the Darts to win the Play offs but the current set up is NOT as enjoyable as the 10+ years under Tony Burman !!!
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

Completely and utterly agree You Dukey
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

The Duke wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:50 pm There is a different culture /atmosphere around the Team than in the Tony Burman days when the core of the team namely Bradbrook , Noble , Hayes , Burns , Harris [ +others ] would sign on for the next season and then ask what they would be getting paid , the majority of the current squad
[ Bonner excepted ] are journeymen who have had at least 6 clubs and stayed nowhere very long and do NOT have the same loyalty , not helped by the revolving door !!!

I still want the Darts to win the Play offs but the current set up is NOT as enjoyable as the 10+ years under Tony Burman !!!
This sums it up for me. The club under SK are losing its identity and to be honest, I don't enjoy the games as much as I did when it was TB and core of players. I'm not a fan of King at all. I don't like what he brings to the club. I really don't see us progressing beyond what we have right now all the time he stays. King is the definition of short-termism and won't bring long-term success in my view.
Ring of fire

Post by Ring of fire »

Sorry we ain't top... but 'know wot u mean 'arry...
BAWArmy

Post by BAWArmy »

So much negativity on here, especially from SKennedy.

We should be enjoying the fact we're battling at the top end of the table yet we still have people complaining on here.

People need to move on, this isn't 2010 and the Burman days are over. "The club is losing it's identity" I've never heard so much rubbish in my life. Just a useless statement to push your anti King agenda.

King is a top manager and he will take us up whether it be this season or a future one.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

BAWArmy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:07 pm So much negativity on here, especially from SKennedy.

We should be enjoying the fact we're battling at the top end of the table yet we still have people complaining on here.

People need to move on, this isn't 2010 and the Burman days are over. "The club is losing it's identity" I've never heard so much rubbish in my life. Just a useless statement to push your anti King agenda.

King is a top manager and he will take us up whether it be this season or a future one.
"King is a top manager and he will take us up whether it be this season or a future one" is a pretty useless statement too given his track record of failure in the playoffs.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

The problem some have on here is not with SK, the board, or the players, but with the very culture of modern football.
Under Burman, we were lucky to enjoy some of the last vestiges of player loyalty and tenacity through thick and thin. This meant a massive togetherness with fans and the feeling of consistency and unity within the club. Reminiscent of Sir Alex Ferguson’s class of ‘92, just as foreign players were beginning to saturate top flight English football. So in part, it is a mere sign of the times that the door at PP spins faster and might only not do so if we were down in the Isthmian league or lower, which hopefully nobody wants.
DFC has been at the top of the table all season, if we had our winning streak in the middle or at the end of the campaign, everyone would be dancing on the ceiling. A shame to lose home and away to the champions elect, but we’ve only had a few genuinely bad results.

COYD and keep the faith for the playoffs.
BAWArmy

Post by BAWArmy »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:24 am
BAWArmy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:07 pm So much negativity on here, especially from SKennedy.

"King is a top manager and he will take us up whether it be this season or a future one" is a pretty useless statement too given his track record of failure in the playoffs.

I'm sure some of these players have a "track record of failure" at other clubs , doesn't mean they can't and won't be successful elsewhere.

Clearly you're one of those that would enjoy to see Burman back, despite us being way past that era.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

BAWArmy wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 am

I'm sure some of these players have a "track record of failure" at other clubs , doesn't mean they can't and won't be successful elsewhere.

Clearly you're one of those that would enjoy to see Burman back, despite us being way past that era.
UpTheDarts
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

BAWArmy wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 am

Actually no, I accept the Burman days of being in charge are gone, but I want a manager at the club who has the same principles as TB and willingness to bring players through and develop them. I see no pleasure in supporting a random group of strangers each week which is how it has felt at points this season.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

I think you have be hacked B&W, but by chance you haven't I find myself agreeing with you for once,

Burman days are over but still over sees money side of the club as far as I am aware, Just remember in between TB and Kingy we had Coyle & Flanagan and in my opinion they destroyed the club by bringing in players that were here just for the money and were mates of the two managers, they could well have taken us down if the club had not acted when they did.

Kingy first season he took over from the C & F and got us to the play off final which I thought was a great achievement given where we were when he took over, second season when the season was cut short we were second and who knows where we could have finished if the season had not been cut short.
Then this season got to say I don't like all the changes but then when I look at the injuries we have had, if Kingy had not made these changes I firmly believe we would have been mid table at best but where are in in play-offs something Kingy promised at the start of the season and we have a good chance of winning them.

If we did not have King here I don't think we would have some of the players Like Jebb, Wilks Murtagh Robinson to name a few, Just like When TB was here players Like Brabrook, Hayes Noble and Burns signed for the manager rather than the club, As in my opinion is proven as the day after TB stepped down Hayes signed for Concorde even though that didn't work out for him and returned later.

I do believe King will get us promoted and it could be this season still, lets get behind the team and manager and you never know it might end with promotion.

and the anti King people be careful what you wish for we could go back to Coyle and Flanagan as managers,

B&W please take a bit of your own advise and lets lose the negativity when we let in a goal
UP THE DARTS
BAWArmy

Post by BAWArmy »

Not hacked!

One more thing, yes we had a good start however being a part time club was always going to catch up with us in the end and this is the biggest thing holding us back at the moment in my opinion. However an unforseen injury crisis has obviously played a factor
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

We have done ok this season with Part Time [ eg 2 nights training per week ] , in view of the Clubs healthy financial position [ with the potential to make even more , Catering etc] , isnt it time for us to go to the " Maidstone and others Full Time Policy " next season ???????
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

I am of the viewpoint that King is definitely the man for the job of taking us up.

As has been previously said, he's technically in his 3rd season however its only the first full season he will have completed with his 1st taking over mid way, 2nd was suspended and here we are coming to the end of his 3rd.

Hes done extremely well to get to where he is now, up against some strong/full time teams and managed to keep our title hopes alive until the last 10 or so games.

I do however think the club needs to turn full time if we want to establish and compete at the next level. We have the facilities in place to do so.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

If Kingy get's us up it will be the same in the National League and the EFL. No, he is not a Tony Burman, but then he is not a Hakan Heyrettin and what has he done this season??
SK brought his reputation with him and he probably will never change. We either get used to it or shut up. :?
KingKong

Post by KingKong »

Agree on Steve King-i am a big fan of the way his sides play. Injuries have been really unkind to us this year and whilst there are a couple of players like Dan Roberts and Michael Kedman who I think were unlucky to be sent out on loan/released I am generally supportive. I do see how he would not be everyone's favourite but that is football.
Lets get behind the team now there is plenty of time for this sort of discussion in the summer.
MickW

Post by MickW »

Not sure anyone was looking for the return of TB - it was the ethos in the club during his time that was being lauded.
As most have said we have achieved significantly this season and hats of to Steve King for that.
I accept that we have suffered a lot of injuries this season but we have had 4 teams worth of players!!
Should we progress to the next level (and I sincerely hope we do) I can't see a policy of introducing fresh faces every couple of weeks as being either desirable or feasible financially.
On top of this we do not seem to have made any progress in establishing our academy players in the first team squad (even losing one to Fulham). Is that wasteful or is the academy not offering much at the mo?
The step to full time seems a huge one for us to make but hopefully will be fulfilled before too long.