Ody Alfa (Sub)
No votes
Kristian Campbell (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 37

The Duke

Re: Dartford v Maidstone Mon 18 Apr 2022

Post by The Duke »

Maidstone deservedly won today and we had no excuses , my fear is IF we carry this level of form into the play offs then we dont have much chance of winning them , history suggests that teams in form getting into the play ofs do very well

Along with many others I thought that a few of the Maidstone players were a disgrace at the end of the game and No20 Deacon [ basically a f.....g has been should have received a Red Card for incitement but Ref bottled it again , NOT that he lost us the game - we did !!!!!!!!!!!

MOTM was Dan Wilkes but Bonner also plated very well as for the rest ?????
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I wasn't there but I bet I could post better than B&W. Not surprised at the result as Maidstone were probably on a high and we were probably a tad nervous as hosts to Champions elect.
Again B&W's first post has everyone's back up and again he defends himself straight after. Why Oh Why does anyone give him the time of day?
We should now be concentrating on our next game as Ebbsfleet have now taken the third spot
I still think we will be the team to watch in the play-offs. My only worry is the players who come on to try and change things up front seem very ineffective. We have to try and kill things off in games early.
But looking as it stands Dorking must be favourites to go up with Maidstone.
UP THE DARTS. F**king sad sack. :shock:
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

For the second time this season we’ve finished second best to that lot! I fully expected SK to freshen things up for today but let’s be honest - this was a local Derby against fierce local(ish) rivals and, as we did a couple of weeks ago against Hemel, we lacked passion throughout our squad. Totally agree, we have got a plethora of quality players but in games like this we need to play with balls.

MoM is a no- brainer for me….Dan Wilkes, though Bonner and Meade played very well.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I agree Dorking were a far better Football team, however Maidstone are exceptionally good at what they do, no nonsense defending, strong in the midfield and with plenty of pace from their wide players and of course a striker who chaces everything down.

They are are very effective outfit at national south level, not as pleasant on the eye as Dorking. With regular crowds far exceeding anyone other than Dulwich in this league should be serious contenders and should do reasonably well in the league above.

I thought both sets of players handled the game well, however it was disappointing and lacked a little bit of class when the Maidstone player goaded the Darts fans at the end but full credit to his team mates for getting him away and dragging him away from the DFC end.

They managed the game far better than us and in my opinion deserved the win on the day, we created a couple of chances but Marcus, Jordan and Samir didn't convert.

We do still have a chance in the play offs, we are capable of beating anyone in this league on our day and who knows, maybe with a little bit of fortune we could still get promoted.
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Babylon says
I don't know how the play offs will go but imo we have too many lightweights in our squad.
Oh for a Noble or Bradbrook type
midfielder
And oh for a striker or two who scare the crap out of defenders.
We flatter to deceive with this squad
I can take defeat but it is the way we lose that gets me!!
Barry I have to agree with your thoughts on this match and also some of the players who seem to lack any enthusiasm or loyalty to DFC but just appear to be going through the motions.
A Bradbrook or Noble type of player would not only strengthen midfield but they both knew where the goal was on many occasions
Only one player for M.O.M. and he is streets ahead in the voting well done to Dan
Bonner also had a good game but was responsible for picking up his booking and the subsequent free kick that lead to their goal.
Otherwise one shot that hit the post and nothing else on target
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

Thanks Trev,
I see talent on the pitch but sorry I just don't see enough passion.
I don't question our players abilities but like you I have doubts with some of them regarding commitment.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Babylon wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:25 am Thanks Trev,
I see talent on the pitch but sorry I just don't see enough passion.
I don't question our players abilities but like you I have doubts with some of them regarding commitment.
That’s exactly what I’ve said!!!!
DartfordHero

Post by DartfordHero »

Having had some time to reflect on the game and read other comments I thought I would put my thoughts down on the game/team situation

I too think that some of the players we have had this season are more like mercenaries who would and in some cases play for multiple clubs each season at the drop of a hat. In terms of the volume of players in and out also is a concern especially considering that most of the players coming in havent been an upgrade or a better option than someone in that current position.

I also agree with other posts that we do appear lightweight especially in that midfield area. I think since Husin has left, Jebb has stepped up and actually think he has improved in that team. I cant criticise Allan either really but there is still that aggression missing from the midfield. Other than Marcus up front, goals seem very hard to come by recently.

Walking out the ground with my dad yesterday and we both agreed that Maidstone, Dorking and Ebbsfleet have played better than us when we've seen them and deserve to be where they are ahead of us. At the start of the season most people agreed there would be about 5-7 teams all battling for the title so to be 4th ranked at this point is fair I feel like and if other results at home turned from draws into wins, we would still be seriously in the mix so its not all bad. Messages on here saying we are midtable at best, is a bit of a joke to be honest. We could have got something from that game yesterday despite us all agreeing Maidstone were better and that we arent the same team we was at the start of the year.

Only a few games left, lets hopefully go out and play a bit of football now and get that confidence in front of goal again so we can do something in the play offs
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

After reading the thoughts of everyone here I am surprised that there are a few that, in my opinion, are overreacting

Yes we lost the game and yes the performance was below the standard that we expect from a Dartford team however the goal at the start of the season was always playoffs. I had us down as the 5th strongest team (Maidstone, Dorking  Ebbsfleet and Havant being stronger). It is slightly disappointing considering our first 10 games but we have to be realistic and acknowledge we're bang on target.

I've seen posts saying Kingy isn't good enough? It's his first full proper season in charge and he has done extremely well and still has a playoff campaign to tackle.

If we don't go up then so be it, hopefully we are even stronger next season and can go for the title, but being a part time team is always going to be hard.

One thing I would like to see change is us not use 40+ players and stick to 25 or so, but I hope Kingy stays on no matter the outcome of the playoffs.
oranj

Post by oranj »

We weren’t good enough on the day, so there’s not really any excuses to be made. Maidstone weren’t easy on the eye but they got the job done. Their two centre-backs defended well and didn’t give up many chances. The first half was pretty even affair, but we seemed to run out of steam in the second half and didn’t really create enough. We’ve got four very winnable games remaining so it’s vital the team bounces back and gets a positive result at home to St Albans on Saturday. There's absolutely no reason for us not to be looking at closing the season with a good run of victories to get us back into some good form ahead of the play-offs.

On the number of players debate…this is so high partly because of the number of injuries we’ve suffered over the season. If Jernade Meade doesn’t miss three months, then that’s three players on month long loan deals that we don’t need to sign. Jordan Wynter, Josh Hill, Connor Essam, Luke Allen, Jake Robinson etc etc - all important players who’ve missed chunks of the season who we’ve needed to find replacements for. Combine that with the club’s increasingly questionable decision to cash in on Noor Husin, and it’s not unreasonable to suggest that Steve King’s hand has been forced on multiple occasions this season.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

I’m a Steve king fan. To me he’s a proven top manager. This doesn’t mean I don’t think at times things can be better. He hasn’t addressed our goal shy attack. The midfield doesn’t seem to control games or at least large parts of games. I am unsure as to what our game plans are sometimes.
Too many players are not great on the ball, first touches seem to be a problem for many it bobbles up a lot. Saturday we barely won any second balls. The desire from some is not there and he needs to turn that around it’s not acceptable to supporters. Give everything you’ve got then the fans will respect and support you if you’re a top player or average. With his many contacts he needs to get a proven goal scorer though it’s probably too late in the season. Kingy for me does pick players who are not performing welI on a regular basis, I won’t say names as I don’t want to disrespect any of them. Personally I didn’t think Maidstone were any better than Dorking and if Ebsfleet could stop leaking goals they’d be above them too. Just my opinion
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Match Highlights:-

dartLion

Post by dartLion »

KentC. wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:14 pm I’m a Steve king fan. To me he’s a proven top manager. This doesn’t mean I don’t think at times things can be better. He hasn’t addressed our goal shy attack. The midfield doesn’t seem to control games or at least large parts of games. I am unsure as to what our game plans are sometimes.
Too many players are not great on the ball, first touches seem to be a problem for many it bobbles up a lot. Saturday we barely won any second balls. The desire from some is not there and he needs to turn that around it’s not acceptable to supporters. Give everything you’ve got then the fans will respect and support you if you’re a top player or average. With his many contacts he needs to get a proven goal scorer though it’s probably too late in the season. Kingy for me does pick players who are not performing welI on a regular basis, I won’t say names as I don’t want to disrespect any of them. Personally I didn’t think Maidstone were any better than Dorking and if Ebsfleet could stop leaking goals they’d be above them too. Just my opinion
Following your opinion Kent C, I am searching for Dartford in the bottom half of the table :o
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

Does anyone know if the referee took any action against Maidstone number 20 Deacon after the game had ended, when he exercised his gloating antics at our fans? He was dragged back towards the centre by his own players, and then when released by them went back to our fans for another p take and had to be dragged back again. He was already on a yellow card, so should have been at least booked again for that behaviour, or even given a straight red IMO.
What a nasty arrogant outfit Maidstone appear to be, top to bottom, bottle and coin throwing and playing on a threadbare plastic carpet. I for one won't be disappointed if we don't have to play them next season.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Looking at the highlights I thought that Stone's defended very well at times and stifled our attack. Although we did seem to run into narrow alleys which helped them.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

How can an elbow to the face (right in front of the Ref) only warrant a yellow card??
But on the day I don’t think we were competitive enough!!!
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

dartLion wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:22 pm
KentC. wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:14 pm I’m a Steve king fan. To me he’s a proven top manager. This doesn’t mean I don’t think at times things can be better. He hasn’t addressed our goal shy attack. The midfield doesn’t seem to control games or at least large parts of games. I am unsure as to what our game plans are sometimes.
Following your opinion Kent C, I am searching for Dartford in the bottom half of the table :o

Bit sill that mate to be honest try and think harder with your response. Far more criticism on here than on my post.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

KentC. wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 am
dartLion wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:22 pm

Bit sill that mate to be honest try and think harder with your response. Far more criticism on here than on my post.

And if you read my previous posts I thought we could of got something from it. Are you saying anything not massively positive means it’s thought we’re down the league? What’s you point?
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Painfull 12 minute watch , Maidstone no great shakes but still too good for us , need to go up a gear to win the play offs !!!!
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

The Duke wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:23 am Painfull 12 minute watch , Maidstone no great shakes but still too good for us , need to go up a gear to win the play offs !!!!
I think we need to go up 3 or 4 gears if we are to stand any chance of winning the play offs Duke. The way we’ve been playing of late we’ll end up being beaten in the Play Off qtr finals let alone reaching the semi’s or final.

After watching the highlights we was so lucky that we didn’t get another spanking by them, they hit the bar twice and thankfully Wilksy saved their penalty.
I noticed that Tom Bonner was the player at fault for conceding the foul on Barham for their goal and then he also committed the foul which gave them their penalty.
I counted that we had just 2 shots on target all game of which 1 hit the post, this just isn’t good enough. Unless we start scoring more goals we won’t get anywhere in these play off’s.

To many players seemed to get knocked off the ball far to easily and only seemed to be half hearted where as Maidstone seemed completely fired up for this game, they really wanted it where as we looked like an end of season team.
We have to go and fight for every single ball and give 110% from the first minute to the last minute, the players should be crawling off the pitch at the end of the game with absolutely nothing left in the tank because absolutely nothing else will suffice at the moment, we really need to finish 3rd or at least try and put as much pressure on Dorking as we can for the 2nd place.

Our wingers have got to start getting their crosses over into the box as well, it’s no good doing all the fancy foot work and getting past the player by the halfway line only to then take a couple of extra touches and lose the ball or put in a piss poor cross.

I really hope Kingy can sort these players out and get them fired up for the last few games because at the moment I really don’t feel confident for the play off’s with our recent performances.

Wilks was hands down the MOTM.