The New Scoreboard and Clock

Grassbank

The New Scoreboard and Clock

Post by Grassbank »

As the old board was broken, I welcome the arrival of the new board.

This was the second football match that I have attended within three days when there was an additional five minutes of play added to the end of the match. However, at both grounds, the clock on view to the crown stopped at 45 minutes and merely showed that there were another 5 minutes to be played. I find this rather frustrating as in a close match, which both were, those final additional five minutes were probably more important in the minds of the fans than the ninety that had passed before. Just how long did we have left to find the elusive winner?

Can the software that drives the clock be amended so that it carries on beyond 45 minutes, or is there some ridiculous rule that forbids the amount of extra time played being shown to the crowd? Sadly, my experience of football makes me expect that it is the latter.
Undercover Elephant

Re: The New Scoreboard and Clock

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Grassbank wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:03 pm As the old board was broken, I welcome the arrival of the new board.

This was the second football match that I have attended within three days when there was an additional five minutes of play added to the end of the match. However, at both grounds, the clock on view to the crown stopped at 45 minutes and merely showed that there were another 5 minutes to be played. I find this rather frustrating as in a close match, which both were, those final additional five minutes were probably more important in the minds of the fans than the ninety that had passed before. Just how long did we have left to find the elusive winner?

Can the software that drives the clock be amended so that it carries on beyond 45 minutes, or is there some ridiculous rule that forbids the amount of extra time played being shown to the crowd? Sadly, my experience of football makes me expect that it is the latter.
As I understand it under some sort of rule doesn’t allow for the clocks to show past 45 minutes.
Gary Clark put something up about it when we got the old board.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Undercover Elephant wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:43 pm
Grassbank wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:03 pm As the old board was broken, I welcome the arrival of the new board.

As I understand it under some sort of rule doesn’t allow for the clocks to show past 45 minutes.
Gary Clark put something up about it when we got the old board.
I was going to say the same thing, Gary put something on the web a while ago now when the same question was asked.
There is some weird & crazy rule in place that you aren’t allowed to show the added time past the 45 & 90 minute mark except to say how many added minutes there are. The clock has to remain at 45 & 90 minutes.
Gary C

Post by Gary C »

We got a (slight) ticking off by the League years ago because we re-started at 45:00/90:00 to show how long was going on. It's, unbelievably, a UEFA regulation.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I think it is to do with the time added as it [ say] 5 minutes minimum and can be affected by referees interpretaion of what happens during the extra time eg Substitutions , time wasting , injury etc , so imagine fans reaction IF the extra time went up to say 7 minutes

I dont see it as a "big deal " ???

Impressive Scoreboard though !!!!
Kebabus

Post by Kebabus »

Decent bit of kit, but please do not celebrate away goals please, thanks.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Not sure if it can be done but i'd like to see the goal celebrations we put on the DFC twitter page on the new scoreboard as well??
Grassbank

Post by Grassbank »

I must remember to bring my stop watch on Saturday and to start it as the official clock reaches 45 minutes in the hope that doing so will be in breach of a ridiculous regulation imposed by an organisation unfit for purpose. I must admit, I am not sure why there is a UEFA regulation that governs the operation and display of clocks. Still, I suppose the 537 employees of UEFA (2020 number) need something to do to justify their existence.