No votes
Pierre Fonkeu (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 21

Babylon

Re: Dartford v Hemel Hempstead Town Sat 14 Jan 2023

Post by Babylon »

We are not going to win every game.
But after our efforts over the holiday it seemed to me that we had the attitude that we just had to turn up.
I am told that Hemel have a new manager and they obviously had a game plan.
Too many Dartford players were not at the races today.
Hopefully it was one off and we can get back to winning ways next week.COYDsss
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

Bonner & Connor were ok, yet we still let in three. Perhaps they didn’t have enough protection from the midfielders who all had bad games. We win games by controlling midfield. Samir looked not his usual self, Coulson tried hard but nothing worked, and I don’t recall Jack Smith touching the ball in the 65 minutes he was on. We will bounce back but we don’t have scope for losing any more matches. How many teams win this league losing 8/9/10 games?
rambo

Post by rambo »

After such a good run of results it was was inevitable that we would post a thoroughly poor performance, we must recover with a win next week
We were utterly rubbish with not enough passing snd too many overhit long balls
The squad is too thin and the players not surprisingly looked jaded
We need more decent players
I am not too disappointed as my pre season expectations was to finish third, we may nick second if we are clever
I can’t vote for best player because no player deserved it
Darren

Post by Darren »

Not a good day at the office. As others have mentioned, the final ball was very poor.

Hemel were very lucky on 29 mins when Coulson was honest enough to stay on his feet when going round Craig King. Had he gone down then it would’ve been a pen and almost undoubtably a red for King - he even acknowledged that he was very lucky afterwards.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match Report by Chris Palmer

Dartford suffered their first league defeat at home since August, after a rejuvenated Hemel Hempstead side took the spoils at Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park.

As 1,273 supporters braved the cold, wet, and windy conditions, The Tudors set out to frustrate their hosts during a rather tight ninety minutes of football in which they looked the more comfortable.

And they started strongly, forcing a free-kick and the first corner of the game within the opening three minutes. However, neither set-piece troubled the Darts, as they slowly began to grow into the game.

As the midfield trio of Jordan Wynter, Jack Smith, and Samir Carruthers pressed their opponents back, both Luke Coulson and Malachi Napa looked to exploit any open space in order to seek out Alex Wall.

Yet, it took until the 15th minute for the hosts to register their first attempt on former Dart Craig King’s goal. As the pressure told, Jack Westbrook made the mistake which allowed Alex Wall in behind. The in-form striker took the shot on, but it was too high to trouble Hemel’s goalkeeper.

Malachi Napa was next to begin troubling the Hemel defence, as he weaved his way through along the right-flank twice in quick succession. However, the second attempt forced Josh Castiglione into fouling the lively Dartford player and, as a result, found himself being shown the first yellow card of the afternoon by referee Mr Oliver Mackey.

Samir Carruthers took the free-kick, which was heading towards the top corner, only for King to manage to make the save (27)! The visitors responded two minutes later as Castiglione and Kaylen Hinds combined well to create the opportunity for the latter to take the shot on. But, there was the big Dartford defence to make a crucial block to keep the score level.

However, it wasn’t long before the visitors did indeed take the lead, which would open up the game for the remainder of the half. Another attack along Hemel’s left-flank resulted in a free-kick, which Joshua Williams sent into the Dartford box. The hosts were unable to clear the danger, leaving Jack Westbrook to place his excellent header beyond Dan Wilks (33).

The hosts responded and responded well, winning a free-kick at the other end within three minutes. Luke Coulson whipped the ball into The Tudors’ box and Connor Essam was on hand to send a bullet header into the back of the net (36).

The goal spurred Alan Dowson’s side on and they continued to press the visitors back. As Hemel failed to deal with another attack, Maxwell Statham found Alex Wall inside the box on the far side, but the Dartford number nine’s excellent effort was blocked by a defender before eventually going wide of King’s upright (41). Unfortunately, the windy conditions prevented the hosts from capitalising on Coulson’s corner.

Yet, the Darts raced forward once again and, refusing to give up, won another free-kick in a dangerous position. Luke Coulson found Alex Wall through a melee of bodies, but Craig King was alert to prevent Wall from edging the hosts ahead (44).

As we entered two additional minutes at the end of the half, The Tudors were awarded a free-kick, which Joshua Williams sent straight into the Dartford box. Unable to clear the danger, the hosts were duly punished by a superb volley by Kyle O’connor-Ajayi at the far post, as he sent his side ahead at the break (45+1).

The second forty-five saw the hosts start brightly with Malachi Napa forcing a routine save out of Craig King in the 46th minute. However, play was soon halted for a short period after Hemel’s goalscorer O’Connor-Ajaji pulled up with an injury, forcing the visitors to make their first substitution of the game, bringing on ex-Dart Kory Roberts to replace the stricken man (48).

The Tudors would go on to replace Matthew Young with Perri Iandolo (56) and Jeremie Mukendi replaced Josh Castiglione after 78 minutes.

Alan Dowson, meanwhile, would use all three of his available substitutions too, as first Charlie Sheringham and Keiran Murtagh replaced Jack Smith and Jordan Wynter in the 67th minute, before Pierre Fonkeu came on for Alex Wall with ten minutes remaining.

As we return to the action, Hemel’s tactics were such that the hosts struggled to get any kind of rhythm going. As a result, openings were few and far between, despite the Darts pressing The Tudors back for long periods.

Eventual Man of The Match, Connor Essam, came close when he got on the end of a Samir Carruthers corner, but he couldn’t quite find the target (63), before Alex Wall found Charlie Sheringham in a good position, only for Craig King to thwart the Dartford number nineteen (68).

Luke Coulson’s deflected strike in the 75th minute earned the hosts another corner, which they couldn’t take advantage of, before Sheringham came close from another Coulson corner, but the ball just refused to go in (84)!

Then, with two minutes remaining, as the Darts pressed forward, a rare second-half attack by Hemel was rewarded as fortune favoured the brave. Substitute, Jeremie Mukendi collected the ball, before firing it beyond Dan Wilks to ensure that his side took the points.

The seven additional minutes at the end of the ninety weren’t enough for the hosts, as the visitors closed ranks and saw out the game.

The result sees the Darts remain at the summit of the National League South table, but Tom Bonner and Co will be looking to respond next weekend.

TEAMS

DARTFORD: Dan Wilks, Jordan Wynter, Kristian Campbell, Samir Carruthers, Connor Essam, Tom Bonner (c), Luke Coulson, Alex Wall, Maxwell Statham, Jack Smith, Malachi Napa.

SUBSTITUTES: Keiran Murtagh, Tom Wray, Pierre Fonkeu, Charlie Sheringham, George Whitefield.

HEMEL HEMPSTEAD: Craig King, Andrew Eleftheriou, Joshua Williams, Godfrey Poku, Jack Westbrook, Kyle O’connor-Ajayi, Josh Hill, Matthew Young, Charlee Hughes, Josh Castiglione, Kaylen Hinds.

SUBSTITUTES: Kane Lewis, Luke Holness, Perri Iandolo, Jeremie Mukendi, Kory Roberts.

By Chris Palmer
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Not a great watch today, you cant win them all as they say. First goal we gifted to them, but we responded quickly and should have kicked on. Then the 2nd goal against the run of play, and a bad time to concede. A draw still seemed possible with a bit of luck as there were some good deliveries into the box, I didnt see them getting a third, but with that sort of deflection, it's bad luck. At 3-1 we were still pushing for something out of the game, but we lacked that edge, and the final ball or stray pass cost us, all to little to late. I am not as disappointed as others tonight as it is hopefully just a bad day at the office.

The ref was card happy with us in comparison to what they got, didnt offer Curuthers any protection, but he was still one of our best out there today attacking wise, as well as Coulson.

I dont understand why we haven't recalled some of the loaned out players, can only assume they are not part of the plan yet. Douse has acknowledged that he has let transfers slip, we do seem rather short squad wise, so hopefully that will create competition for a place, if we do get 1 or 2 in.

Up the darts, zz
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

I had an unexpected change of arrangements this afternoon and found myself in an area of very poor reception, struggling even to get score updates from today's football program.

Hadn't realised we had such a thin squad to select from with only 3 subs available. I did see the half time scoreline at 1-2, but thought we could bounce back from that in second half on the assumption weather conditions might turn in our favour.

So, yes a disappointing result, but not one that surprised me with maybe 4 ex Darts facing us (I haven't seen the HH lineup yet) and nor have I yet listened to Dowse's interview.

Unfortunately, when you are top of the table, your are there to be shot down, and is something we will have to get used to if challenging at the very top. Just a pity we fell short in front of a crowd of 1243, hoping for a positive result. Need to press on and make up for today's loss.

COYD
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Hemel had a twelfth man today. Alex Wall blatantly bundled over in the box. No penalty.
This was soon followed by an innocuous snowflake challenge at the other end of the field. Foul given by the their number 12 in the black.
Napa then tripped infront of the referee. The only mistake Napa made was to try and stay on his feet.
Nevertheless it was still a foul.
Referee was awful.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

PeteSamson wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:03 pm I had an unexpected change of arrangements this afternoon and found myself in an area of very poor reception, struggling even to get score updates from today's football program.

Hadn't realised we had such a thin squad to select from with only 3 subs available. I did see the half time scoreline at 1-2, but thought we could bounce back from that in second half on the assumption weather conditions might turn in our favour.

So, yes a disappointing result, but not one that surprised me with maybe 4 ex Darts facing us (I haven't seen the HH lineup yet) and nor have I yet listened to Dowse's interview.

Unfortunately, when you are top of the table, your are there to be shot down, and is something we will have to get used to if challenging at the very top. Just a pity we fell short in front of a crowd of 1243, hoping for a positive result. Need to press on and make up for today's loss.

COYD
Pete, they had 3 ex players on their team sheet today. Craig King & Josh Hill both started with Kory Roberts on the bench making an appearance in the 2nd half.
We played with the wind 1st half and over hit far to many balls or played to many short balls giving possession away to much.
2nd half we was even worse and didn’t even have a single shot.

We just wasn’t in the game today and there was only ever going to be one winner and that unfortunately wasn’t us, Hemel fully deserved their win.

As for the ref yes he was very poor but he certainly wasn’t to blame for our loss, the players have to accept that responsibility I’m afraid.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

After our excellent Christmas period and a solid win last week to start the year with I felt we were in with a good shout for the title BUT a run of consistency, required of any title winning side, is essential to sustain that challenge. The scrap for the title may very well be a 4 horse race between us, Ebbsfleet, H&W and possibly also Chelmsford but our defeat yesterday has clearly weakened our our plight despite stil sitting clear by 3 points at the top.

We can still win this campaign but need players in to strengthen a slim looking squad that should include the recall of Dan Roberts 🙏, and a run of good results (again) starting next Saturday.
KentC

Post by KentC »

Of course we want to win the league but even after embarrassing the bottle jobs of Ebsfl££t they still have the ability to win every game now even if they’re over paid pathetic wimps.

With the disgusting amount of money they’ve wasted on mercenarys and little snowflakes I think coming second would be a brilliant achievement for us and a massive advantage going into the playoffs.
Long way to go still
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Not a game to bother commenting on really with such a poor performance with us just giving the ball away when trying to complete the final passes or lumping it up field for no one to win.
Alex as someone else commented back to him early season performances today pulling shirts falling over and reluctant to jump and win the ball then eventually getting booked for persistent fouling.
I don't blame or criticise the referee as you get some good some bad and so I can only blame the team as a whole for the result as apart from the good free kick and Connors well taken goal plus he hit the post from another header we didn't have a shot on goal to test King and he seemed to enjoy his repour with the fans behind the goal which was good to see and hear.
We were due a game like this to bring us back down to earth after recent results and with the players looking tired and injuries plus a need to try and possibly get new signings to top the squad up lets forget this one and move on to next week and another home game.
A good attendance today with Hemel only bringing a few fans so hopefully this performance will not put off any new or neutral fans that visited and we can show them a better performance next week.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Oh dear......

Poor performance all round as we seemed to lack the intensity we showed in recent matches.
I cant recall a game where so many players had an off day.

IMO squad is very light on numbers to mount a serious title challenge so hopefully Dowse will add to it as he mentioned in his interview to keep us in the race.

Very decent crowd today considering the time of year so a real disappointment we couldn't maintain our good run.

MOTM an easy choice, Connor Essam. He was the only player to come out of the game with any credit.
Last edited by Park Life on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

What a shame a good run come's to an end like that. Performance not good from the manager's account or from a lot of people on here. Unlucky on the third with the deflection. And with Fleet winning it puts things back in the their and Havants court again.
Still, never mind, shit happens. Need a response next week to maintain some pressure on those two. Reverting back to our topsy turvy season when putting a run together. The arsewipe get's it right and he should know. :lol:
Let's hope we push on next week. COYD's
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Couldnt make the game but disappointed we lost , I still continue to believe that [ realistically] we are a play of team ] with the current [ thin] squad as I cant see Dowse bringing in at least 4 players to give us a fighting chance of winning the league

Not whinging just being realistic !!!!!
Spike

Post by Spike »

Admittedly, Hemel are a much better side than the last time I saw them, but sometimes you just have to hold up your hands and acknowledge when you've had a bad day at the office. On the day, the best team won.

Connor Essam MOTM.