NEW FIRST TEAM MANAGER: ALAN DOWSON

AshWFC

Re: NEW FIRST TEAM MANAGER: ALAN DOWSON

Post by AshWFC »

CC makes a lot of good points. I'll expand on a few of them:

While it was definitely a dwindling minority who wanted him to stay towards the end, Dowse's first two seasons, in the view of most if not all, were an enormous success. He picked us up having reverted back to p-t from f-t, with only two players retained, and though parts of the fanbase got angsty after our form dropped off a bit after the FA Cup 3rd rd run, support for him was pretty much universal as we had Top 3 at minimum all but secured pretty early. He can't really be blamed for not winning the title after Torquay got Gary Johnson in and tore up the league the rest of the way that year, with a superior squad.

The second season was probably more impressive in hindsight. If another part-time team in their first season up achieves the league performance we did that year, it will be hailed as a miraculous success. We were joint 2nd favourites for the drop and still could've made the playoffs when the season ended prematurely.

After that, he had potentially a few too many things to navigate for a manager without any full-time experience: covid, extensive club ownership/structural changes including budget squeezes and swings, fears about the ground, and eventually that transition to full-time he had desperately chased, perhaps more than deeply considered. It eventually came apart when he'd become too rigid tactically for the squad we had available, and potentially met a level of competition where he couldn't out-coach our opposition. CC is right, too, that his early season form always tends to be superior to later on... so if you got out of the traps early it'd be interesting to see how you'd fare coming down the stretch.

He won't play 8, 9, or 10/10 football most weeks, at all.... but he will win you lots of games with percentage football, solid organisation, relying on physicality, older heads, and good game management (hopefully that doesn't sound too much like what you've already had). He can normally plug a gap fairly well with a loanee if it comes to it as well, and mostly knows what a player is worth to him. When re-vamping our system this season, it utterly fell flat and he was too stubborn to change it about, getting severe backlash from the fanbase.

It's funny about how we had 100 players in 4 seasons - a lot of our fans can be deeply critical about him being too loyal, and are already expecting you to bring in Nathan Collier (likely as a Scout/Assistant), sign Ben Gerring and Moussa Diarra (I'd worry the former doesn't have enough in the tank), as he likes to get in towering centre halves early, and possibly a few others (my suggestions from our released list would be Mark Smith, Solomon Nwaboukei, Jamar Loza, and George Oakley... they'd all do a job at your level). As well as getting in stalwarts like Craig Ross, Josh Casey and Max Kretzschmar for us, though, he also unearthed some gems - Armani Little, Tahvon Campbell, and Josh Davison probably stand out as the exciting younger players he signed. Jake Hyde was obviously excellent for us over two seasons, and Rohan Ince has been superb this season. Woking fans will be surprised if you don't at least sign someone from Oxford!!

I'm unsure if you're p-t at the moment... if so, I really don't know of a better manager you could've appointed off the top of my head. My only fear is that expectations will be high and that perhaps this is the first time he's coming off a sacking, so from your perspective hopefully he's about to go again without fear and do another great job at the level, as he did with us and Hampton.

Don't have him do weekly catch ups, though, more and more it just became something he did out of expectation and wasn't required. As CC says, the man will work tirelessly on and off the pitch, with the community, and was a massive part of moving us forward, even if his time had probably more than come with us.
Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card »

Skip wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:19 pm Wow, thanks for the appraisal. At least we have a bit of an idea of what to expect. I see that he has got three of his sides promoted over the years; Kingstonian, Hampton and yourselves at Woking. Well, if it can make us his fourth success then most will be satisfied. And do you know what a cup run would be a bonus. We haven’t beaten a league side since the late 60s when football was still broadcast in black and white. Anyhow, I’m pleased with the appointment and will look forward to the preseason friendlies with interest.
I will say, for all his faults: he's never not left a side in a worse position than when he found it. He's got genuine pedigree in taking teams forward - Kingstonian, Hampton and Woking.

For your club, given all your close calls with promotion, that means he'll take you up, for me. It slightly defies belief that you haven't been promoted given your league positions, and your football at times - I do really think Dowse has a great shot at doing it for you.

Would also agree with a lot of what AshWFC has said. I would bet very good money on you signing a couple of the players that he's mentioned - Dowse is a loyalist, and will work hard to recruit his chosen lieutenants. It was on that basis that we took the spine of the Hampton team at the time - Kretschmar, Jolley, Casey, Wassmer (lmao,) Cook - and went up through the playoffs.

On the catchup point, if you're winning every week, they're great - but if it's mid-January and you've got 3 point from 12, they're a much harsher listen. Fortnightly is kinder, but as a tedious football nerd, I loved having them every week.

If you're going down for a pre-season game, I'll reiterate - please do go and shake his hand. He'll chat to anyone, he commits himself fully, and he'll be utterly invested in the prospects of your club. Your support will mean a huge amount to him, and that's not a throwaway remark.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Sounds like a good appointment and a good fit for the club. His record (i.e. predominantly promotions) is something I am really looking forward to. I am 'over' the surprise sacking of Steve so hoping that disappointed will be knocked into a cocked hat come the end of next season. I hope that he can get us up and running quickly but if he gets us to at least play offs next season will be a success.

Just waiting for someone one here to be negative about the number of players Alan used at Woking over four seasons.

Welcome to the club Alan and good luck.

COYD
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Thanks to our WFC interlopers for their insights into the AD enterprise. For some perspective, 100 players in three and-a-half seasons still pales into relative normality compared to 47 in one season (of course, SK may have kept his turnover sub-100 in two seasons with some retentions, but…)

Welcome to DFC, Alan. I hope we will have the rip-roaring start you seem to perpetuate and see what happens from there. Fingers crossed we’ll be renewing old rivalries with Woking after the French come downstairs to visit in 2022/23
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

IF Dowse brings in Josh Casey [ Woking ex Hampton & R ] then we will have no problem with Refereeing this season as he will fill that role comfortably from the left back position !!!!!!!!!!
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

The king is dead. Long live the king.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Is Casey that little left back who has the ability to wind everybody up before, during & after the game??
If so no thank you. Jermaine Meade much better player & just as compact!!
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I would like to know who the others were who the Board narrowed down to interviewing stages, before making an opinion.
Whereas I'm happy that the Board acted quickly ( let's face it, they had to)I am not that overwhelmed.
It will be interesting to see how we start the new season as I am sure player turn over will be wholesale.
Interesting days ahead. ;)
The Board have my backing. Nice to see what's happening at Christmas. Mustn't wish my life away. Agree that Kory Roberts, if released by Bromley, would be a good signing.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Seems a good and experienced appointment, and in fairly quick time to help settle anxieties among the team and supporters. Our Woking friends' endorsements are welcome and encouraging.
Should be exciting times again, and will be renewing season ticket with optimism (as always).
MickW

Post by MickW »

Well done to the board for acting decisively and quickly. A serial achiever is what we needed and it looks like we may have one. The snipers seem to have headed for the hills for now.
Good luck Mr Dowson hope you have a great season.
COYDs
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Welcome to DFC Alan.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

MickW wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:23 am Well done to the board for acting decisively and quickly. A serial achiever is what we needed and it looks like we may have one. The snipers seem to have headed for the hills for now.
Good luck Mr Dowson hope you have a great season.
COYDs
The Dartford lack of ambition mob.😂😂
Harry

Post by Harry »

A very sensible appointment it appears on paper, Dowse has managed promtion out of this league with Woking and into the National and subsequently established them at National league level.

I would see us us as a similar level and potential as when Dowse took over, in terms of size of club and supporter base.

The one area we have over Woking is the facilities with the training pitch the golf course and the community pitches of the course the amount of junior grassroots teams that are associated with the club, that play unser the DFC banner.

It should be a very good season, the comments from the Woking fans are exactly what we need it sounds like Dowse is a clear in what he wants from the team, no nonsense defending with a little flair out wide, sounds very similiar to the TB method of play but not exactly the same !
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Hope there's an interview soon with Dowse, be good to hear his thoughts on the playing squad and appointment as DFC manager.
fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen »

Chobham Cards and Ash's comments echo mine. AD is a top fella , totally committed , massively approachable and just a lovely bloke, You have made a very wise choice here. Every club has it's whingers who are never happy, and the amount of unjustified stick he got from numerous Woking fans was a bit out of order IMO. They easily forget the promotion, the cup run, and even signing an unwanted player in Tahvon Campbell, who'd failed nearly everywhere he'd been, and turned into a goal machine by playing him is his correct position, Singed for nothing, 6 months later Woking FC get £100k transfer fee, that's good business ,and part of the role of a non league manager, it was easily forgotten. I think Nathan Collier was much loved at Dartford from what I remember; he'll be back with you for sure, but as an assistant, he's past playing now . martin Tyler will surely come along as well, which could up Dartford's profile. AD will get you promoted , he knows how to do it ,enjoy him, you'll have great fun
AshWFC

Post by AshWFC »

The overwhelming consensus even from those who were fed up of him long before his sacking is he'll make Top 3 for you. I think he might need a bit of patience but even though I gather there's some controversy with moving on from SK think he'll do a good job if given it.

Since he does like a former player, a few other possibilities of who he might go back to the well for:

Chris Jolley (physio/backroom staff and good bloke), Tom Champion (we were supposedly going to have him in an off-field/coaching role, but it seems the club has since gone quiet), Shaun Donnellan & Kane Ferdinand (can't see anything confirming that Maidenhead have retained either atm, both would be excellent in NLS), Charlie Cooper (released by Wealdstone and could be a good acquisition for NLS, great dead ball), Jermaine Anderson (hasn't signed a deal with us yet but more likely we'll keep him), Louie Annesely (didn't do enough on loan to get regular game-time but was well thought of), Tarryn Allarakhia (not particularly good for us as he's a little bit lightweight, but I feel he might be decent a level down).

Wouldn't be a huge surprise if he tried to get Ross or Casey from us, but it's unlikely to happen yet, as they're under contract with us for the season.
Kretzschmar hasn't signed a deal with us yet... there are rumours of interest from clubs on our level. A quality hole player and good character, who in my opinion would notch 20-25 goals in NLS without breaking a sweat - wherever Dowse had gone he'd throw the kitchen sink at trying to bring Max/Josh with him, I believe, so who knows (no idea what your budget is).

You definitely, 100% won't be signing: Jordan Maguire-Drew.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

AshWFC wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:04 pm The overwhelming consensus even from those who were fed up of him long before his sacking is he'll make Top 3 for you. I think he might need a bit of patience but even though I gather there's some controversy with moving on from SK think he'll do a good job if given it.

Since he does like a former player, a few other possibilities of who he might go back to the well for:

Chris Jolley (physio/backroom staff and good bloke), Tom Champion (we were supposedly going to have him in an off-field/coaching role, but it seems the club has since gone quiet), Shaun Donnellan & Kane Ferdinand (can't see anything confirming that Maidenhead have retained either atm, both would be excellent in NLS), Charlie Cooper (released by Wealdstone and could be a good acquisition for NLS, great dead ball), Jermaine Anderson (hasn't signed a deal with us yet but more likely we'll keep him), Louie Annesely (didn't do enough on loan to get regular game-time but was well thought of), Tarryn Allarakhia (not particularly good for us as he's a little bit lightweight, but I feel he might be decent a level down).

Wouldn't be a huge surprise if he tried to get Ross or Casey from us, but it's unlikely to happen yet, as they're under contract with us for the season.
Kretzschmar hasn't signed a deal with us yet... there are rumours of interest from clubs on our level. A quality hole player and good character, who in my opinion would notch 20-25 goals in NLS without breaking a sweat - wherever Dowse had gone he'd throw the kitchen sink at trying to bring Max/Josh with him, I believe, so who knows (no idea what your budget is).

You definitely, 100% won't be signing: Jordan Maguire-Drew.
Tom champion is a ex Dart and was Quality player for us.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Although it was painstakingly obvious that there were clashes of opinion and that Steve King's ethos wasn't in accord with the club's, the results on the pitch were pretty good and I really expected him to be here for the duration of his contract. Personally I would have been quite happy with that, but what's done is done and I trust our board have acted in what they believe to be the club's best interests. This uncharacteristic decision was surprisingly swift and decisive and the new guy is a quality manager with a proven track record. So, regardless of our personal views on SK's departure, I hope we Dartford fans can all move on and get behind Alan Dowson as he takes us forward. SK certainly divided opinion, he had more than a few detractors even before he'd first walked through the doors at Princes Park, so it would be nice if this time we could get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet in time for the start of the new season. Dowson seems to tick all the boxes so if we can all get on board asap, I see no reason why we shouldn't approach the new season with cautious optimism. I'm very much looking forward to it.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Great news and welcome to the club Alan; it's great to have you on board. Well done to our directors for a making a quick and high profile appointment.

Thanks also to our friends from Woking for their detailed and honest insights on Dowse. It would appear that his focus on developing the club at all levels, communications with the fans and the wider community were key factors in his appointment as well as his proven track record of course. I look forward to meeting him and seeing his plans for the season ahead.

It's great to feel so positive again.... bring on the new season! As someone else has said, the King is dead - long live the King!
Bkev180

Post by Bkev180 »

Let's hope it's not to late to keep the main players in the squad welcome alan dowson
Onwards and upwards UP THE DARTS