Steve King

Trevor B

Re: Steve King

Post by Trevor B »

Very surprised to hear this and no doubt something behind the scenes has happened that is unlikely to come out fully for while
We will wait for the clubs announcement and it may shed some light on the subject but he's gone so let's get on with finding a new appointment
Steve did a job for us but I have to say that I was not happy with him signing up so many players this season and at my age I can hardly remember the names or recognise the players when each team was selected before a game never mind the squad as a whole.
Just a thanks to him for the work he has put in over the seasons and I now wait on the speculation of who will take over or just may be the board already has someone ready and will spring an early surprise on all the fans
tommytollbooth

Post by tommytollbooth »

Amazing decision, I would have thought the board would have given him at least another season in charge. Perhaps as others have remarked there was issues off the pitch. Steve did seem to get down when Noor Husin was allowed to go to Southend, but surely that was down to the players ambition. We will need an interpreter if Geordie Alan Dowson gets the job. What about giving Tom Bonner a chance as player/manager. What's Jamie Day doing. It's going to be an interesting few weeks.
KingKong

Post by KingKong »

Awful decision.Gutted.
old git

Post by old git »

Not surprised, although not pleased as well. It will show how ambitious the club is by who we appoint.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Stuart Pearce has left West Ham perhaps he could do a job?!!!
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Very surprised at this but in a way 'Not surprising'. :shock: Steve King is a volatile manager and surely we all new it. Maybe he rubbed the Board up the wrong way or maybe he thought 3 years was enough for him. Who knows. There will be a mass exodus of players, and maybe a mediocre season ahead. Who knows?
I think maybe Steve will end up going nearer to home. Who knows?
I don't know who will become the new manager or if the Board made the decision on Steve maybe they know. Who Knows?
Should have gone for Hakan Heyrettin like I said, I mean, what's he done in lately?
i for one will miss Steve King. It was exciting under him even if we never knew who was going to take to the field one week to the next. As for selling off Husin mid way through the season, I think that was Noor's decision not Steve's.
Although I had my doubts, I say Good Luck to SK. It was fun. I'm sure our paths will cross in the future. Who knows?
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Of course, I'm not in the know, but.... I do have this incredible sneaky feeling. 8-)
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

Really surprised at this decision by the board and unless they come out and say exactly why they took this decision I will only assume it is because we failed to get promoted but that is not the Dartford way,

In my opinion unless they appoint a manager who knows this league and the league above and has the contacts that Kingy does, it show a lack of ambition by the club and I will await the appointment before deciding if to buy a season ticket this year.

If its not the right appointment I can see us falling behind the likes of Ebbsfleet & Maidstone and crowds will dwindle and we will be back to what we were before Kingy ( Coyle and Flanagan days) The first Job of the new manager will be to try and keep the majority of the players we had but I can see the likes of Jebb, Murtagh Azzez all move on and we will be starting from scratch again.

Poor decision in my opinion.
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

This news has made my morning coffee taste that much more bitter. Whilst I am a big Kingy supporter, (his appointment caused me to invest in a DFC season ticket for first time) I agree with what Trev B says about his thirst for tinkering and meddling with the squad. I think it became too big and difficult to identify and keep all the players happily involved.
Jamie Day is a good call for me and will see my ticket renewed.
Thanks Steve for a 95% successful stint, lots of excitement and good entertainment along the way, but ultimately, it’s the hope that kills you?
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

ozymandias wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:23 am Of course, I'm not in the know, but.... I do have this incredible sneaky feeling. 8-)
Come on then Ozy, share it so we can at least take the p when you are found to have got it wrong !!!
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

JCJ, you say “not the right appointment I can see us falling behind the likes of Ebbsfleet & Maidstone...” are we not already behind Maidscum?
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

Will be interesting to hear what Steve King has to say ? whether there are any contradicting reasons as to why he was sacked ? Will wish him all the best wherever he ends up , maybe Eastbourne at a guess ?
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Jamie Day would be a very strong candidate as he played " football " the right way , became initially a Player Manager and was successful at Welling then into League Football and then a successful spell as Bangladesh {?] Manager and presumably now back in the area .

Well known to Darts fans I would welcome his appointment
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Dover have Alan Dowson as manager on their website

http://www.doverathletic.com/staff/alan-dowson/

I wonder who will take over from SK. Answers on a postcard please.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Another non English speaker lands at Dover then!!
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

I thought Andy Hessenthaler was Dover manager

https://www.doverathletic.com/staff/andy-hessenthaler/

No idea who it is going to be, whoever it is won't have the player contacts as well as King does so we are going to lose the majoirty of our squad and it's going to be one hell of a rebuild.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Mark Sweet wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:13 am I thought Andy Hessenthaler was Dover manager

https://www.doverathletic.com/staff/andy-hessenthaler/

No idea who it is going to be, whoever it is won't have the player contacts as well as King does so we are going to lose the majoirty of our squad and it's going to be one hell of a rebuild.
So did I, but why have they put something up on their website. Very strange.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Very suprised at the news though it's pretty clear that Kingy ruffled quite a few feathers at the club and l wasn't really sure why he seemed to out of his way to do so on occasions. Perhaps there there was yet another disagreement which proved to be the straw that broke the camel's back for the board?

It's going to cost the club a packet though, as he had another year left on his contract! Doubtless the severence agreement will prevent either party telling exactly what happened.

I wish Kingy well in the future - though l'm pretty sure he won't end up at Eastbourne 😉

The King is dead - long live the King! Funny about the contradiction on the Dover website though. Where does that leave Hessy? Jamie Day is a strong contender. Another name perhaps... Peter Taylor?
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Where's Hessenthaler going then?
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

I doubt if we will find out the complete story but as one of the supporters who wanted Kingy to come to the club after the chuckle brothers resigned,I am not surprised at the boards decision .
SK is well known and has a lot of tactical knowledge and a lot of contacts in the game but for some reason when it comes to the main event ....it all seems to go wrong.
Buy I do agree that we may never find out why kingy was sacked .
The next manager will get my full support , thanks Kingy for your efforts
but we move on.