CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS

Moderator: Gary C

Lars Resort

Re: CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS

Post by Lars Resort »

Agree with Rambo on the over 50's. I must be very close to him. There are a few 50-70 year olds that go ballistic and when they do the language towards opposition players and referees is in some cases, vile.
:oops:
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Lars Resort wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 pm Agree with Rambo on the over 50's. I must be very close to him. There are a few 50-70 year olds that go ballistic and when they do the language towards opposition players and referees is in some cases, vile.
:oops:
To be fair on most of the old uns, it ain’t the majority, in fact it’s probably just me! 😜
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

I am in that category and to be honest I find it cringing and embarrassing.
Hovis

Post by Hovis »

I have long thought that DFC are missing a bit of a trick and potential income that other clubs are cashing in on and have a few questions?

1. Why is the club shop now outside of the ground and only visible if you walk past that way?

It used to have doors to the inside and outside of the ground making it accessible and was always busy at half-time. Now you have to leave the ground and hope the steward lets you back in.

2. Why don't DFC sell beer as other clubs such as Tonbridge, Ebbsfleet, Dulwich etc. do throughout the games?

I know that this has potential issues (of course), but in those grounds I've never seen much and they take a constant flow of people handing over their hard earned cash.

3. Why don't DFC look at the food offers in other grounds?

Again Dulwich Hamlet have a couple of stalls which serve really decent food and have a queue throughout the games, especially once a few of the beers in point 2 have been drunk. Also there doesn't appear to be a rush for people to leave as they are still able to be served for a while after.

4. As mentioned in a previous post, how about DFC legends be available in the bar or weekly as part of a premium season ticket perhaps with other 'premium' features?

5. Local people support local teams, so attracting more of the locals and getting them interested in the other activities in PP is a no brainer. I think we've missed the atmosphere the kids provided and whilst they were a bit lairy at times (weren't we all when things didn't ache so much), they made PP jump at times and instead of engaging them and trying to work with them, we excluded them. As also said previously it is the 40-60 year olds that are the worst.

6. Website...please can we get someone to take it on, I don't use social media so I am at the mercy of that website and it feels a bit unloved.

7. Club merchandise, since PUMA kits - it has been decent in my opinion and is well priced, but hasn't changed much in a few years, so once you have a few bits you have no compelling need to buy anything more.

8. A few seasons ago a couple of us sponsored a player, thinking it would be a decent experience...we didn't even get a thank-you or to meet the player. I fed this back to DFC and rather than trying to rectify the situation (you only complain about something if you are still interested) they told me it would be sorted next season. A very simple gesture here and we'd likely have handed over another years sponsorship and also would likely still be doing it now.

9. On the discount tickets for other team Season ticket holders, how about go a step further and offer them a discounted season ticket? Speaking as a premier league season ticket holder, I would pay for a discounted season ticket upfront. That would have to affects...1. You'd have my money upfront, which is more likely to make me go on cold Tuesday eves in Feb and spend more and 2. Mean that I likely felt more connected, purely by having the season ticket.

10. Make staying after the game more attractive, give local artists a chance to perform before after the games with a few Darts songs thrown in for good measure...utilise the bars more after the games with compelling reason for supporters to stay and drink there rather than in town.

11. Can we encourage Kent Messenger and NewsShopper to actually feature some Dartford stories/coverage?

12. Take a punt on the academy kids where possible, all fans at every club love to see a local lad come through...at times this year we literally had nothing to lose yet still didn't take a punt on them really.

I have had some real highs and to be fair many fewer lows since I have been watching the Darts. It isn't purely about the football, it is about being with mates and feeling part of the club too...

The volunteers do a great job and none of the above is criticism, just be nice to see some real ambition from DFC although sadly it might be too late.

Hopefully a swift return to NLS...come on you DARTS!
Skip

Post by Skip »

Hovis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:42 pm I have long thought that DFC are missing a bit of a trick and potential income that other clubs are cashing in on and have a few questions?

1. Why is the club shop now outside of the ground and only visible if you walk past that way?

It used to have doors to the inside and outside of the ground making it accessible and was always busy at half-time. Now you have to leave the ground and hope the steward lets you back in.

2. Why don't DFC sell beer as other clubs such as Tonbridge, Ebbsfleet, Dulwich etc. do throughout the games?

I know that this has potential issues (of course), but in those grounds I've never seen much and they take a constant flow of people handing over their hard earned cash.

3. Why don't DFC look at the food offers in other grounds?

Again Dulwich Hamlet have a couple of stalls which serve really decent food and have a queue throughout the games, especially once a few of the beers in point 2 have been drunk. Also there doesn't appear to be a rush for people to leave as they are still able to be served for a while after.

4. As mentioned in a previous post, how about DFC legends be available in the bar or weekly as part of a premium season ticket perhaps with other 'premium' features?

5. Local people support local teams, so attracting more of the locals and getting them interested in the other activities in PP is a no brainer. I think we've missed the atmosphere the kids provided and whilst they were a bit lairy at times (weren't we all when things didn't ache so much), they made PP jump at times and instead of engaging them and trying to work with them, we excluded them. As also said previously it is the 40-60 year olds that are the worst.

6. Website...please can we get someone to take it on, I don't use social media so I am at the mercy of that website and it feels a bit unloved.

7. Club merchandise, since PUMA kits - it has been decent in my opinion and is well priced, but hasn't changed much in a few years, so once you have a few bits you have no compelling need to buy anything more.

8. A few seasons ago a couple of us sponsored a player, thinking it would be a decent experience...we didn't even get a thank-you or to meet the player. I fed this back to DFC and rather than trying to rectify the situation (you only complain about something if you are still interested) they told me it would be sorted next season. A very simple gesture here and we'd likely have handed over another years sponsorship and also would likely still be doing it now.

9. On the discount tickets for other team Season ticket holders, how about go a step further and offer them a discounted season ticket? Speaking as a premier league season ticket holder, I would pay for a discounted season ticket upfront. That would have to affects...1. You'd have my money upfront, which is more likely to make me go on cold Tuesday eves in Feb and spend more and 2. Mean that I likely felt more connected, purely by having the season ticket.

10. Make staying after the game more attractive, give local artists a chance to perform before after the games with a few Darts songs thrown in for good measure...utilise the bars more after the games with compelling reason for supporters to stay and drink there rather than in town.

11. Can we encourage Kent Messenger and NewsShopper to actually feature some Dartford stories/coverage?

12. Take a punt on the academy kids where possible, all fans at every club love to see a local lad come through...at times this year we literally had nothing to lose yet still didn't take a punt on them really.

I have had some real highs and to be fair many fewer lows since I have been watching the Darts. It isn't purely about the football, it is about being with mates and feeling part of the club too...

The volunteers do a great job and none of the above is criticism, just be nice to see some real ambition from DFC although sadly it might be too late.

Hopefully a swift return to NLS...come on you DARTS!
Another really good post. There has been some excellent, positive feedback provided for the club to gets its teeth into and use to rekindle the feeling we all felt when Princes Park opened nearly 20 years ago.
Skip (now residing in Suffolk)
Hovis

Post by Hovis »

I'd love to have a look at the non-footballing side of things from a cost/profit perspective.

A lot of the things talked about on this forum, could be resolved or at least helped by a really engaging Head Of Customer experience or similar role.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

PP was opened as an ‘alcohol-free stadium’. Don’t really know why, maybe because most (all?) premier league / championship / league 1 / league 2 stadia are 0.0 abv affairs and it was once thought once upon a time that we would almost aspire to be amongst them.
However, we are absolutely nowhere near this now in principle or reality so why on earth are we the only club not allowing our punters a drink during the game, we were once in good company (Conference premier days) but now playing Sunday league.
Please explain, powers that be. I’ll tidy it up, I’m good at that.
Hovis

Post by Hovis »

I believe all youth team players gt a free ticket for DFC, but their parents/guardians have to pay full price, so in reality very few youth team players will end up watching the Darts as their non-supporting parents probably won't want to stump up £16.

Could be worth making that free ticket include a half-price adult (or similar), thus potentially getting them in and spending more in the shop/food outlets.

Surely some, if not all, of the ideas above must have been thought of before by the club, but dismissed for one reason or another. Running a club profitably probably isn't as simple as we all think it might be.

I did not know PP was originally opened as alcohol free, I assume that is just on the terraces as there are other bars there.
Hovis

Post by Hovis »

...also I know this has been mentioned in other threads already, but still today there is no message from the board on the website about the season, the future or mention of the relegation.

If, like me, you are looking for some sort of solace, apology or something uplifting about us rebuilding, then you will be very disappointed.

Clearly we don't want comms from the board to be 'kneejerk' and we expect them to take their time and have a measured approach, but some sort of holding message acknowledging the current status and just how bad the football has been this season would be welcome...people are feeling unsettled and upset about the whole season, so the rebuild and reinvigoration of the fans starts now.

I know there is the cup games, but none of us really care about that do we? Even so use a message to reassure, reengage and message about the cup and try to get a decent amount of support for those games or something...the nothing is a killer at the moment.

https://www.havantandwaterloovillefc.co ... -chairman/
https://doverathletic.com/news/a-messag ... e-manager/
https://tauntontown.com/news/
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

No one from within gives a shit about the fans.
Prove us wrong….
Nin

Post by Nin »

i don't see the point of the dfc website. its been shit for years. everything i need to know is on the forum through our input or sites attached to the forum. supporters know whats going on but the club dont. no one at the club cares. get the supporters to maintain the official site as the club can't be arsed - theres a constructive idea.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Is this problem with communication from the club and the state of the website down to an age thing? I have raised the issue of the website with a member of the Board to be told that it has been a problem for a long time but that the emphasis of those dealing with communications seems to be more on Facebook and X (Twitter), something he admits the club needs to address. I do Facebook and websites, but have never even looked at X. I know that I am a dinosaur, about to become a state pensioner before the start of next season, but then again have the club when deciding which social media channels to use actually looked at the demographic of those supporting the club and the channels they look at?

From my point of view there are various things to consider:-
The Academy has been successful in producing players for other clubs, rarely do we seem players given a run in our own first team. I know that a lot have gone on to play at a lower level (Isthmian) (oh. we are there now!!!) but some have gone on to much higher things. Best case in point has been Mo Eisa - hardly got a chance in our First Team but has had a long career in the Football League. Now is surely the time to look at playing a number of these home grown players as they are more likely to be eager to play for the badge rather than the mercenaries that we have been signing in recent years who stay around until they are offered a bigger pay cheque elsewhere!

Injury prone players......we were told we would not be signing such people and then have a number of players signed and re-signed who are just that. How much budget was wasted this season on Wall, Sheringham, Allen and Block, to name a few. How many appearances did we get out of them, and how many of those games were they fully fit for? My only exception to this would be to see Tommy Block re-sign, he is quality, reads a game superbly and when I have seen him has given everything to the cause. A fit Tommy Block would be a real asset. The others I have named, and a fair few others, are past their sell-by date.

Ticket Offers - I like the idea of trying to engage the parents of the youth teams by offering reduced price entrance to the parents - but this should be limited to certain games so that we are not selling the product cheaply to a select few on a regular basis. Similar offers should go to schools and other junior clubs.

Six pack offer - (I have seen this at London Broncos in the past) - offer a discounted ticket to cover 6 matches (again targeted, low attendance games) to entice new supporters to come along

Dining Club before the game - not having been to PP for years due to living in Somerset I don't know if this is done - but run a carvery lunch before any Saturday game that is pre-booked and encourage local businesses and organisations to book a table - this would encourage more local participation.

I could go on but I have to go and open my pub for the Sunday Lunch rush.
Bagdhad Billy

Post by Bagdhad Billy »

Taunton Dart wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:13 am Is this problem with communication from the club and the state of the website down to an age thing? I have raised the issue of the website with a member of the Board to be told that it has been a problem for a long time but that the emphasis of those dealing with communications seems to be more on Facebook and X (Twitter), something he admits the club needs to address. I do Facebook and websites, but have never even looked at X. I know that I am a dinosaur, about to become a state pensioner before the start of next season, but then again have the club when deciding which social media channels to use actually looked at the demographic of those supporting the club and the channels they look at?

From my point of view there are various things to consider:-
The Academy has been successful in producing players for other clubs, rarely do we seem players given a run in our own first team. I know that a lot have gone on to play at a lower level (Isthmian) (oh. we are there now!!!) but some have gone on to much higher things. Best case in point has been Mo Eisa - hardly got a chance in our First Team but has had a long career in the Football League. Now is surely the time to look at playing a number of these home grown players as they are more likely to be eager to play for the badge rather than the mercenaries that we have been signing in recent years who stay around until they are offered a bigger pay cheque elsewhere!

Injury prone players......we were told we would not be signing such people and then have a number of players signed and re-signed who are just that. How much budget was wasted this season on Wall, Sheringham, Allen and Block, to name a few. How many appearances did we get out of them, and how many of those games were they fully fit for? My only exception to this would be to see Tommy Block re-sign, he is quality, reads a game superbly and when I have seen him has given everything to the cause. A fit Tommy Block would be a real asset. The others I have named, and a fair few others, are past their sell-by date.

Ticket Offers - I like the idea of trying to engage the parents of the youth teams by offering reduced price entrance to the parents - but this should be limited to certain games so that we are not selling the product cheaply to a select few on a regular basis. Similar offers should go to schools and other junior clubs.

Six pack offer - (I have seen this at London Broncos in the past) - offer a discounted ticket to cover 6 matches (again targeted, low attendance games) to entice new supporters to come along

Dining Club before the game - not having been to PP for years due to living in Somerset I don't know if this is done - but run a carvery lunch before any Saturday game that is pre-booked and encourage local businesses and organisations to book a table - this would encourage more local participation.

I could go on but I have to go and open my pub for the Sunday Lunch rush.
No need to resign Block his dad told me he has a 2 year contract so he is with us next year 👌
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Bagdhad Billy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:19 pm
No need to resign Block his dad told me he has a 2 year contract so he is with us next year 👌
That's the first bit of good news that I have heard - hopefully Block will have more success with fitness next season.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Taunton Dart wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:41 pm
Bagdhad Billy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:19 pm
That's the first bit of good news that I have heard - hopefully Block will have more success with fitness next season.
I agree. That’s like very early good news in the player signing section! Build around Block and we won’t go far wrong.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

When Tommy Block is on the pitch I also agree that he is a very good player , I hope his contract is on a "Pay as you play deal " or else its another one hell of a gamble ?????

I just hope that Luke Allen aint on same 2 years deal ??????
Bagdhad Billy

Post by Bagdhad Billy »

The Duke wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:22 pm When Tommy Block is on the pitch I also agree that he is a very good player , I hope his contract is on a "Pay as you play deal " or else its another one hell of a gamble ?????

I just hope that Luke Allen aint on same 2 years deal ??????
Tommy paid 10k of his own money for the opp and by all means his dad said he wasn’t happy with the results and is taking the surgeon to court. He looked devastated when he got injured last time and although only on the pitch for 10 mins v Eastbourne was probably man of the match. If he is fit he is a captain for us and a match winner would love him to have an injury free year next season .
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Good luck taking a Surgeon to court?? Surely he would have had him sign a disclaimer pre op??
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

There have been some really good ideas and suggestions which i'm SURE the club are now aware of ;) ;)

Board meeting tonight as well so maybe some info coming out later this week.

Well done everyone and it's never too late if anyone's got anything to add.
rambo

Post by rambo »

There is one thing Park Life that I would like clarity on. It is mentioned now and again that if special offers or free entry is made on ticket entry the loss of money can be offset with extra bar and food sales
I would like to know what the deal is with the catering deal. Do we get a rent irrespective of the sales or is our rental income affected by the level of sales