CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS

Moderator: Gary C

Park Life

CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS

Post by Park Life »

I'm absolutely gutted what's happened but after the home game to Hemel i said that i felt we would go down as some of the players body language didn't look good, so it's not come as any real surprise.
However I totally agree with DA Mikey's sentiments on "The state of Dartford Football Club" thread that the longer we feel sorry for ourselves the worse it will get. So with that in mind there's a few things that spring to mind that i'd like to see implemented going forward:-

1. I've already put this suggestion to the club but i'd allow all under 16's a free season ticket. All they'd need to do is complete the application form in the usual way so the club can manage it. There's not many youngsters attending anyway so hopefully we would recoup any lost funds with sales on match days and this would also hopefully help generate a much better atmosphere and generations of future Darts fans. Don't think we've got much to lose really so worth a go imo.

2. I'd like to see a couple/few new board members to freshen things up a bit as i feel we need to be more proactive and a few new ideas wouldn't hurt.

3. The directors and staff should have clearly defined roles so if supporters have any concerns or want to find out anything they know who to contact and whose responsible.

This is not a pop at anyone at the club as their is a lot or very good work done behind the scenes and the majority are all volunteers so I'm really grateful for all of their efforts. I'm also not calling for wholesale changes as that wouldn't work and would be a knee jerk reaction but in light of the position we find ourselves in i do feel that some fresh ideas or impetus wouldn't go amiss.

I'm sure if anyone else has any suggestions the club would look at it??
Dave T

Re: CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS

Post by Dave T »

Really good idea Steve.

I feel pretty sure that in a week or two, when the dust has started to settle on this car crash of a season, the Board will begin to honestly review where it all went wrong and what they could have done better, to avoid us turning from perennial play-off challengers into a relegated team in just one season.

Clearly the current Board/Management structure hasn't worked for the past couple of seasons, and we must learn from models in place at other clubs, be that a CEO, Director of Football, Head of Recruitment, First Team coach, etc, etc.

We must either continue to operate within the financial constraints of our current structure, or change it to attract external investment and new directors with fresh ideas, if that's what we really want. I suggest an independent external review is carried out to identify options with examples of good practice identified in clubs of similar standing and potential as ours.

Once the structure is reviewed and implemented, then l feel a lot of the other stuff, such as improved commercial activity, increased attendances, better communications, will follow.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Questions from afar.-

What are Chatham, and others, doing differently to get such large crowds? Apart from consistently winning they must be doing other things to generate interest.

Are DFC making full use of the youth and women's sections to increase crowds?

How big is the presence in schools and local youth teams to get interest to grow? Ticket deals to help those groups raise funds and encourage people to return?

Get back to white shirts and black shorts - the two recent kits could have changed our luck..... :shock:
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

I wonder if the council would allow us to advertise on market days in the town? Perhaps a stall and a few volunteers handing out flyers and money off tickets would help attract more locals to the club?
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Do we get posters of forthcoming matches around the area or has that fallen off since Maurice died - he was unstinting in his efforts on this front
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

We don’t even advertise the next upcoming home game on the main gates at the college end, just the previous one played it seems??
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Taunton Dart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 am Do we get posters of forthcoming matches around the area or has that fallen off since Maurice died - he was unstinting in his efforts on this front
Haven't seen them around for a long time, didn't know it had lapsed due to someone passing. Perhaps the club could make them available for people to share with their local shops if they wanted to?!
Skip

Post by Skip »

Unfortunately so many of our older supporters have passed away in recent years, some whom used to undertake voluntary activities to help the club. These haven’t been replaced and we have sadly neglected enticing younger support to fill the void on the terraces. So, whilst we can suggest actions for the board to consider, implementation is another matter. I hope the club do not pass up the opportunity of reconnecting with its supporter base.
Skip (now residing in Suffolk)
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

Tall Dart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am I wonder if the council would allow us to advertise on market days in the town? Perhaps a stall and a few volunteers handing out flyers and money off tickets would help attract more locals to the club?
I used to do this on Saturday mornings in the town
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

Tall Dart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm
Taunton Dart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 am Do we get posters of forthcoming matches around the area or has that fallen off since Maurice died - he was unstinting in his efforts on this front
Haven't seen them around for a long time, didn't know it had lapsed due to someone passing. Perhaps the club could make them available for people to share with their local shops if they wanted to?!
Yes they are still going out Lol took over after Maurice passed away
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

KSTDART wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:22 pm
Tall Dart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am I wonder if the council would allow us to advertise on market days in the town? Perhaps a stall and a few volunteers handing out flyers and money off tickets would help attract more locals to the club?
I didn't realise mate. Would be good to see the flag up on one bell corner :D
Bagdhad Billy

Post by Bagdhad Billy »

If you go to Ebsfleet train station you have a massive stand with an interactive TV advertising all things the club which is seen by thousands of people every week. I’m sure we could do something similar at Dartford station in agreement from the council and I believe Dartford station is one of the busiest in Kent so the viewing of this would be substantial.

Yes newness needed in the board dare I say if we need a new chairman giving SI a rest, yes free entry for all the youngsters we have pushed away, local professional teams season ticket holders half price admission when you show your season ticket etc etc etc.

Have BBQ’s on the secondary balcony on match days run by the club for more revenues god the pod food is crap. We used to have people walking the stadium selling food etc during games another possible revenue.

FUND a player purchase Tamworth were doing and it helped them buy a player in their push for the title we would I’m sure all contribute to such a scheme to help the playing budget.
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Pay what you want game could be good to generate some interest. Has worked well at other clubs who have done it
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:00 am Pay what you want game could be good to generate some interest. Has worked well at other clubs who have done it
Can you imagine that this season? they’d be handing money out at the exits!!
Nin

Post by Nin »

the official website is shit and has always been. even now its showing players that left months ago. most of our players are aged 0. tommy block is aged 1. its embarrassing and will be even more now that we have slipped down a league.
this morning it was still showing UPCOMING MATCH Cray Wanderers vs Dartford/ April 16, 2024/ Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park

get someone to update it with correct information or don't have it at all. useless.
Fred OLness

Post by Fred OLness »

Tall Dart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 pm
KSTDART wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:22 pm
I didn't realise mate. Would be good to see the flag up on one bell corner :D
Great idea.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

My concern with all this, admittedly from afar, is that there are not many constructive ideas being put forward - more criticism of how things are with no solutions. This has always been the trouble with any club at any level. Everyone will tell you what is wrong, it comes naturally. A far smaller number come up with actual well thought out solutions or initiatives. The the absolute minority, come forward and offer to try to do something about it. This is the nub of the whole issue!

My second visit to PP was the third match ever played there. It was against Dover and an 2.20, when I arrived, the queue at the turnstiles went round towards what is now the Champions Bar (was then the Club Shop). I approached a man with a radio (Dave Boswell) and, helpfully, suggested they needed more turnstiles open. Dave said they didn't have anyone - so I volunteered there and then on the spot. Within 5 minutes I was manning a turnstile and continued to do so, as a volunteer, for the next ten years until I moved to Somerset. Following on from that I got involved in other areas, including being match secretary (arranging match officials etc) for the Academy when it was started. Unfortunately there are very few who will offer to give their time and support in such a way. So my point is, as well as going on about what is wrong, suggest to the club ways in which YOU YOURSELF can help the cause!

YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!!!
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

A worthy note Taunton, I would add that the club need to interact with fans to let them know how best anyone with spare time can help the club too. It should be a two way thing I'd say.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Tall Dart wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:05 pm A worthy note Taunton, I would add that the club need to interact with fans to let them know how best anyone with spare time can help the club too. It should be a two way thing I'd say.
In my experience, albeit until I moved 8 years, every time the club asked for people to help it was generally a resounding silence as far as offers to help BUT lots of people saying how it should be done but don't expect me to do it. Yes, two way, but if you see something wrong suggest how it should be fixed and how you would help
KentC

Post by KentC »

Park Life wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:31 pm I'm absolutely gutted what's happened but after the home game to Hemel i said that i felt we would go down as some of the players body language didn't look good, so it's not come as any real surprise.
However I totally agree with DA Mikey's sentiments on "The state of Dartford Football Club" thread that the longer we feel sorry for ourselves the worse it will get. So with that in mind there's a few things that spring to mind that i'd like to see implemented going forward:-

1. I've already put this suggestion to the club but i'd allow all under 16's a free season ticket. All they'd need to do is complete the application form in the usual way so the club can manage it. There's not many youngsters attending anyway so hopefully we would recoup any lost funds with sales on match days and this would also hopefully help generate a much better atmosphere and generations of future Darts fans. Don't think we've got much to lose really so worth a go imo.

2. I'd like to see a couple/few new board members to freshen things up a bit as i feel we need to be more proactive and a few new ideas wouldn't hurt.

3. The directors and staff should have clearly defined roles so if supporters have any concerns or want to find out anything they know who to contact and whose responsible.

This is not a pop at anyone at the club as their is a lot or very good work done behind the scenes and the majority are all volunteers so I'm really grateful for all of their efforts. I'm also not calling for wholesale changes as that wouldn't work and would be a knee jerk reaction but in light of the position we find ourselves in i do feel that some fresh ideas or impetus wouldn't go amiss.

I'm sure if anyone else has any suggestions the club would look at it??

Good ideas imo PL
Also could under 16s or kids get cheaper rates on the coaches to away games?
It may not be cost effective I understand that.

There’s absolutely no doubt we need to do more with our community