News from around the National League South

Moderator: Gary C

Lars Resort

Re: News from around the National League South

Post by Lars Resort »

I see David Noble has been sacked by Wealdstone 93 days after leaving St Alban's.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Very surprised at Noble going so quickly as Wealdstone seemed to improve on his arrival, just looking at the National league it is disappointing to see Oxford rock bottom, Dorking, Boreham Wood, Wealdstone and Ebbsfleet towards the lower end of the table.

All in recent seasons were NLS clubs it just shows how tough that league is. I thought Dorking with Ebbsfleet may escape the drop, they still might depending on their game against Wealdstone on Thursday.

It just shows the level of investment required with pretty much most of the teams full time in the national league.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Yeovil failed to pick up the point they needed to confirm promotion on Saturday. Just now on BBC South West news they had a report from the game which showed a 94th equaliser being chalked off - the Yeovil manager was not happy BUT even more so their chairman who attempted to confront the referee pitch-side at the end of the game. The chairman has also been widely reported for decking supporters in 'conversations' in the pub.

Saturday could be interesting if they lose at Truro in midweek
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Torquay 2-0 up against Truro, don't think that's a good result for us to be honest
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Nope. To be honest, we need no points for either of them, but Torquay were nearer than Truro.
Sadly underlines that the 0-0 draw there was a poor result (unless Truro score twice in which case I'll happily eat my words).
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

We should have picked up points against both Truro and Torquay recently. At Torquay we should have been 2 or 3 up by half-time, then five minutes of madness at the start of the second half allowed Torquay to build a 3-0 lead. I still think that our second goal should have stood to bring that game back to 3-2, and then Torquay would have been wobbling. Despite all that Torquay won 4-1. At Truro we were by far the better team, playing some lovely possession football but with no cutting edge in the final third. That 0-0 draw should have been a win for us. Add to those two results the loss at home to Eastbourne on Monday and collectively those games could prove to be the difference at the end of the season. Hopefully that will not be the case.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Mark Sweet wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:30 pm Torquay 2-0 up against Truro, don't think that's a good result for us to be honest
Of all the straws we’re desperately trying to grasp, I’m not sure it matters the outcome of this one. Truro are under more pressure to win all of their games in such a short space of time. I think Torquay have the better chance of the two of survival. We need Truro to lose all which will, obviously, affect their GD and allow us to pip them on the last game of the season. But we also need to pick up a point against Worthing and Yeovil. Even Roy Race would find ALL this a tall order.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Talking of which, would Roy’s strike partner & best mate ‘Blackie’ be allowed to play in this day & age??
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Sleightly Deceptive wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:53 pm
Mark Sweet wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:30 pm Torquay 2-0 up against Truro, don't think that's a good result for us to be honest
Of all the straws we’re desperately trying to grasp, I’m not sure it matters the outcome of this one. Truro are under more pressure to win all of their games in such a short space of time. I think Torquay have the better chance of the two of survival. We need Truro to lose all which will, obviously, affect their GD and allow us to pip them on the last game of the season. But we also need to pick up a point against Worthing and Yeovil. Even Roy Race would find ALL this a tall order.
Truro play Eastbourne on Wednesday

Honestly not sure what I want from that

Unless we win all 3 games I feel like our race may be run with the other teams around us fixtures'
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Sadly, I think the better result tonight might have been a draw or a Truro victory, which would have kept Torquay more in our sights. That was a massive 3 points for Torquay with games running out and Torquay still to play away to Taunton.

We Darts really do need those maximum 9 points from our remaining games, which is a big ask, but since we haven't gone on an extended run of victories this season at all, now is the time for that to happen to finish the season in style, if we are to give ourselves a chance of preserving our place in NLS.

COYD
Spike

Post by Spike »

The way I see it, our most realistic chance of escaping the drop is at the expense of Dover, Havant, Taunton & Eastbourne and an outside chance of Dowse working his "magic" at Hemel and dragging them into the equation by losing their final two. Either way, we surely need 2 wins from 3 to give ourselves a fighting chance on 49 points. So I'm hoping Truro beast Eastbourne, and then Yeovil win the title against Truro and have a massive party on Friday night followed by head-splitting hangovers on Saturday.

Of course, one way or another, we still have to win a couple more games and tempting as it is to foolishly declare the Worthing game as another "last chance", the facts are that even if we lose it won't be, because winning the final two would mean escape would still be possible. At this point, that might seem an unlikely scenario, but for the previous umpteen seasons, Dartford FC winning consecutive games has been a regular occurrence, more likely to happen than not, so I refuse to believe it has now suddenly become impossible.

This season feels like death by a thousand cuts ... but we have to keep believing that maybe, just maybe, an ambulance will get here in the nick of time. Let's make some noise tonight and if we're gonna go down let's make sure we go kicking and screaming.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Heard a rumour today that Taunton could be facing a points deduction for fielding an ineligible player and also that Truro could be in the bother for not being able to provide a pitch for next season.
The win at Havant on Saturday increased our chances of survival from about 10% to about 20%. I’d say three points against Worthing tonight would take us to about 50% and then it’s getting interesting. But we’ve only beaten 23rd and 24th place so far this year..
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

DA Mikey wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:47 pm But we’ve only beaten 23rd and 24th place so far this year.
And that, Mikey, sadly, is the warning caption flashing red with an accompanying loud klaxon!
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Truro 0-0 Eastbourne
Havant 0-0 Welling - Havant's relegation confirmed.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

The FA have decided the game between Bath and Slough, which was abandoned with Bath trailing 4-2, will not be replayed. The points will be awarded to Slough.
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Truro losing, Yeovil will be champions. Taunton down to ten men early doors!
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:07 pm Truro losing, Yeovil will be champions. Taunton down to ten men early doors!
slough 1 up red was for the keeper also Taunton have no sub keeper on the bench.
Taunton 0 Slough 2
Truro 0 Yeovil 2
Last edited by BRASSNECK on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Poor old Taunton the phrase “it never rains it pours” so apt for a few reasons!
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

BRASSNECK wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:11 pm
Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:07 pm Truro losing, Yeovil will be champions. Taunton down to ten men early doors!
slough 1 up red was for the keeper also Taunton have no sub keeper on the bench.
Taunton 0 Slough 2
Truro 0 Yeovil 2
Taunton 0 Slough 4 full time.
Last edited by BRASSNECK on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Slough now 4 nil up, helps out on the goal difference if it comes to that.