Pennock: It's still all to play for 28/03/2024

rick
Site Admin

Pennock: It's still all to play for 28/03/2024

Post by rick »

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... or-304173/

Manager Ady Pennock says critics who dismiss Dartford’s National League South survival chances do so at their peril

Dartford manager Ady Pennock has warned people not to write his team off.

The Darts picked up their first clean sheet since Boxing Day as they moved out of the National League South relegation zone with a goalless draw away to Truro on Tuesday night.

While the teams immediately above and below Dartford - Truro and Taunton - have games in hand, they face a busy schedule to fit their matches in.

Pennock can see improvements in his own team but knows they need to start winning sooner rather than later, starting with their Easter fixtures. The Darts travel to second-place Chelmsford on Friday before hosting third-bottom Eastbourne on Monday (both 3pm).

“Easter is massive for us and it effectively started for us on Tuesday at Truro,” said Pennock.

“It’s important we get some positive results, I’m talking about winning games, and picking up points.

“We need to keep our tally ticking over and it will be huge for us where we are in the table.

“We want to drag people in to us as well. If we can get that win then it will bring teams closer. It’s still tight down there.

“A lot of people have written us off already but I know there’s a lot of football to be played.

“We’ve still got teams around us to play so we need a bit of luck with other results going our way but, more importantly, we’ve got to get those three points.

“I know what people say, that we’ve got no chance but we’ve got a great chance of staying in this league. I’ve only been here three weeks but I’ve got a great bond with everybody here already.

“Obviously, the supporters can hopefully see that we’re improving but we’ve got to stay in this league by hook or by crook and then rebuild for next year.

“It’s going to be a tall order. I knew the situation when I took over, it’s not a surprise, the board and the chairman were very honest with me because for one reason or another it hasn’t been good this year.

“Now it’s a case of roll our sleeves up and get on with it. The people that can help the club survive are myself, the players and the staff so we’ve got to pull together and do the best we can.”

Pennock refused to rule out making any last-ditch signings ahead of the deadline for transfers today (Thursday).

But he admitted it would have to take something exceptional now with a number of his squad returning to action for the final six games of the campaign.

“I don’t want to bring anyone in for the sake of it,” added the Darts boss. “I don’t want to bring an untried youngster in. Everyone is looking for that goalscorer but it’s a difficult time of year to find them.

“Unless it’s a really good player then I’m okay, the lads have been brilliant and we’ve got two or three players back on Friday who will be a little bit fresher. I’ll only get someone in who is going to improve us.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m always looking as there might be one who becomes available, but I want to give these boys here a chance as they are hungry to do well and want to keep the club in this division.”

Jordan Greenidge returns for the Chelmsford game following suspension and youngster Olly Box is close to a return from an ankle injury.

Brandon Barzey is back from international duty with Montserrat - and Pennock revealed he was nearly involved against Truro.

“The thing was Barzey was he was going to play on Tuesday but he played 90 minutes on Monday and then his flight got delayed,” said Pennock.

“My son was going to pick him up from the airport but I’d have been crazy to have given him gametime on Tuesday after playing the whole game for his country.

“My head ruled my heart so I decided not to do it but with the plane being delayed it was pretty impossible anyway.

“Olly Box had a fitness test before we left and he was still feeling his ankle. He’s young, I’m looking to include him if we can and, hopefully, he’ll be involved as soon as possible.”