RIP Dave Skinner

Park Life

Re: RIP Dave Skinner

Post by Park Life »

M1 South wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:05 pm KST: I’m not able to make Saturdays game unfortunately, but I will give you a contribution towards that flag/banner when I next see you!!
Well organised!!
Yep good idea M1, count me in as well Kev.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Llamaman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:36 pm Such sad news, without him (& others of course, especially his Co Chairman Steve Irving) would there be a DFC today? It is my understanding Dave put his home as security to secure the funds to keep The Darts going before things settled with the new ground. Only part of what he did & maybe why some on the forum leap to the defence of the board when criticism is flying about. He may have not been perfect, who is, but had plenty of credit & more to draw on. A deserved tribute on Kent Online today & the posters in this thread. Saturday should be a day to remember & celebrate Dave so hopefully there will be no noisy unpleasant protests against you know who, it would be disprespectful to a Dartford great, just ignore the man. RIP
I am one of those people who leaps to the defence of some of our board members when they get some stick. I do so because I know how much the club means to these people and just how much they have personally contributed and sacrificed in order to resurrect our club. They might make mistakes sometimes, but I know we could never find anyone more dedicated and determined to do what they believe is for the best of our club. It may have been a long time ago that they saved us from folding up completely, but for me, there is no time limit on loyalty and my loyalty to those people will last forever. Were it not for those people there wouldn't be a Dartford FC, it's as simple as that.

It is a very sad occasion to lose Dave, he is part of the DFC family and it's not going to be the same without him. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Dave and thank you for all that you have done for our club.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Pedro wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:36 pm
The Club should name the main stand after the man,
If my memory serves me right Dave had a stand "unofficially" named after him a good few years back.

When we were ground sharing with Cray there wasn't enough cover so i'm sure out of his own pocket Dave bought and paid for a small steel structure which was put up down one side for the supporters to stand under. Just a measure of the guy and something that brings a smile to my face every time i think of it. It was unofficially name "The Skinner Stand", maybe not the most original name but one of many fond memories of Dave and what he did, and was prepared to do for the club.

RIP Dave.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Someone emailed me this morning saying:

"The older ones amongst us will remember the Skinner Stand at Oxford Road in Kent League, and I believe he stumped up £1,000 or so for each of the games played at Welling in 1992 before the final crash."
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I know it may sound ridiculous but why stop at a Stand?
I think The Skinner Stadium wouldn't be out of place.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

The most unassuming man who saved his football club. (Admittedly, along with others).
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

The Skinner Stadium, Princes Park will still have the same postcode.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Good idea but Berecote power or whatever they are called might not be happy??
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

"Skinners" bar would be good, then we can toast him every time we go in there 🍺🍻⚽️⚽️
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Today (against Hemel) is the day to raise the roof in honour of Dave Skinner!! We wouldn't have a club to support if it wasn't for his support over the years.

Come on everyone provide a proper tribute for this great servant of Dartford Football Club!
Ozytalksbull

Post by Ozytalksbull »

ozymandias wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:48 am I know it may sound ridiculous but why stop at a Stand?
I think The Skinner Stadium wouldn't be out of place.
Agreed👍👍👍
MickW

Post by MickW »

Nice piece by Steve Irving on Radio Kent in memory of Dave today.
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

It was not perfect but was better than nothing

IMG_2034.JPG
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I wish there was a'like' button on the forum, to like every post on this sad thread. Dave always came across as a true gentleman- someone who lived and breathed Dartford FC, and without wishing to belittle the work of everyone else who helped resurrect the club, it's arguable whether we would have a club to follow if not for him.
Happy to see a stand named after him as he deserves it. Make the letters big so he can see it from heaven.
RIP Mr Dartford.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Anyone have an idea when Dave’s Funeral will be?
I would like to attend!! Nothing from the club as yet (but that doesn’t surprise me!!)
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

M1 South wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm Anyone have an idea when Dave’s Funeral will be?
I would like to attend!! Nothing from the club as yet (but that doesn’t surprise me!!)
I'm pretty sure the club are waiting on confirmation from Dave Skinners brother and will make an announcement as soon as they are told.
The Futures White

Post by The Futures White »