"We need the supporters more than ever"

Park Life

"We need the supporters more than ever"

Post by Park Life »

Ady's latest interview:-

‘We need the supporters more than ever’

Boss Ady Pennock is urging Dartford supporters to turn up in their numbers this weekend for the derby against Maidstone.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... by-303365/

Dartford manager Ady Pennock urges the fans to show up in their number as his struggling National League South side host Maidstone United in his first home game

Boss Ady Pennock is urging Dartford supporters to turn up in their numbers for the derby against Maidstone.

Pennock has had a tough start to his time in charge of the Darts, losing 2-0 at Braintree on Tuesday night as newly-signed striker Jordan Greenidge was sent off, and 4-1 at Torquay last weekend. Forward Ibby Akanbi scored in vain at Plainmoor.

Those results have seen them drop into the National League South relegation zone, as they prepare to welcome another promotion-chasing side to Princes Park for Pennock’s first home match at the helm this Saturday.

“Anything can happen in a local derby,” Pennock insisted. “I want the supporters to turn up in their numbers and really cheer us on because we need them.

“We need the supporters more than ever - we really do.

“We haven’t had a win since Dover, so that’s one win in a lot of games, but there’s no point looking back. We have got to look forward and be positive.

“Other teams have been in worse positions than us (and still stayed up). We have got to keep believing in ourselves, keep working hard and we need those supporters.

Dartford boss Ady Pennock will play promotion-chasing Maidstone in his first match in charge this Saturday after back-to-back losses. Picture: Ady Kerry
“We’re fighting to the very end. It will go down to the wire and we will need those supporters with us to keep supporting us, like they have done.

“At Torquay, they were absolutely fantastic and it really helps and it was the same on Tuesday.

“In just the two games I’ve been in, they’ve been really fantastic.”

Dartford trailed to a first-half goal from Ebbsfleet loanee striker Shaq Coulthirst at Braintree but, after Greenidge had got his marching orders as he picked up a second caution, the hosts got a late second.

Ex-Gillingham manager Pennock reflected: “It was a tight game. We had some chances.

“Obviously, it’s a disappointing result and disappointing that we had Jordan sent off near the end there. But they showed a lot of fight.

“We know where we are position-wise in the league and that we have got battles on our hands, and we just need to keep believing.”

Former Tonbridge forward Greenidge got a second yellow card at Braintree in the final minute of normal time when he challenged with their keeper Jack Sims for a loose ball.

Pennock is disappointed he will lose the 24-year-old to a one-match ban now - but has no problems with the fight he displayed. Greenidge is available to face Maidstone and potentially take on brother Reiss Greenridge before he’s scheduled to serve his suspension.

Pennock added: “Honestly, he has been absolutely fantastic. With his work-rate, he’s a handful for the opposition.

“Of course, we’re all disappointed but you know what? He’s fighting.

“I thought the first yellow card was harsh. The second one, yes, he had the warning before and went in for a 50-50 challenge with the defender and goalkeeper. It could have gone either way, really.

“At the end of the day, he’s fighting for us. I’m not taking that away from him because he’s been fantastic. It happens in football.

“You have to dust yourself down and get on with it. I’m not going to tell him to stop fighting because we want the whole club to fight.

“Maybe he should have used his head a little bit more after getting that little bit of a warning but it was a 50-50 challenge, he went in and the referee has given another yellow card.

“When he gave a red, I wasn’t surprised. I’m disappointed but he’s been very good for us.”

One bright spark for the Darts came in midweek as young defender Ronny Nelson, who has joined on a one-month loan from Colchester, put in a strong debut. Nelson joined Colchester from Leicester’s Academy.

“Ronny was fantastic,” admitted 52-year-old Pennock.“He came in and met the players before the game.

“He was very good and strong in the air.”