Bugger it.
Park Life

Re: Slough Town v Dartford Tue 20 Feb 2024

Post by Park Life »

FT 3-2
MickW

Post by MickW »

Closer than anticipated - but the red card is a bit of a bummer.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Results going against us but a plus that we've found someone who knows where the back of the net is.
Worrying that Joash gets himself sent off. Straight red?
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

I'm gonna be honest, and bring on the hate but I'm tired of hearing we played well yet come away with 0 points. I've said it before and I'll say it again, performances won't keep us in the league points will.

Defensively inept has been our problem all season. All the way from the start where we threw away points against Farnborough and Bath. We simply have not replaced Bonner and Essam and we are now paying the price.

Failure to defend long throws, conceding penalties the story of our season.

Results went against us and we are still very much in the relegation fight. I said we needed 9 points minimum out of the Chippenham - Taunton fixtures, we're now going to come away with a Maximum of 6 which I'm not sure will be enough.

For reference last season 49 points was enough to guarantee safety. Nothing I've seen recently gives me any confidence we are going to hit that. We may even need a few more if Welling/Eastbourne/Havant go on a run
Last edited by Mark Sweet on Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Another poor result regardless of how we played. If we beat Taunton and Truro (in the rearranged game) we should have enough to stay up in my opinion however the way Welling are playing and with Eastbourne taking points as well this isn’t going to be easy. What a rubbish season this has been and I for one can’t wait for it to end but hopefully it ends with us retaining our NLS place.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Wasn’t confident we’d get anything from tonight’s game with Slough on an imperious home run and us just about ending our losing streak by grinding out a win against Dover, but this Saturday really is the one. If we are unable to beat a tattered and torn Taunton (sorry for the tautology), it will surely mean Defcon 1 for the last two months of this wretched season.
Let’s hope Olly Box can keep this rate up as he is a glimmer of light.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

You don't have to bring on the hate Mark. Because you keep stating the obvious.
We only have to go a goal down and you get on a downer against the lads. You are beginning to sound like another person we've just got rid of.
Yes, we know what is going on at the club so don't keep explaining it to all and sundry.
It is what it is through no fault of anyone at the club who are still trying to give support.
I am tending to skip over your posts cos they're all the same.
Sorry to do a downer on you.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Lars Resort wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:02 am You don't have to bring on the hate Mark. Because you keep stating the obvious.
We only have to go a goal down and you get on a downer against the lads. You are beginning to sound like another person we've just got rid of.
Yes, we know what is going on at the club so don't keep explaining it to all and sundry.
It is what it is through no fault of anyone at the club who are still trying to give support.
I am tending to skip over your posts cos they're all the same.
Sorry to do a downer on you.
Not sure thats fair comparing me to that clown to be honest. I've been positive a lot longer than most especially during the first half of the season.

I'm simply just stating my thoughts, lile youre supposed to on a fans forum, and unfortunately at the moment it's very hard to be optimistic because we're only going one way

I've said what I've said about TB and the managerial situation, there's quite a few in here that seem to think just because he's in charge we're gonna be ok. I don't think I've stated the obvious when I've put my doubts out there.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I have to agree with Lars, Mark. We know what the situation is and I can't see what point there is in your recent posts. We are in this position because Dowson made a pig's ear of the squad, with gaps in key positions and an abundance of mediocrity in others. On top of that, in my opinion the fitness levels were not what they should be either. The club has removed the cause of all our problems, but you seem to be under the unrealistic impression that this somehow should have instantly fixed everything. I think we all understand that we are in a scrap to stay up, but continually calling out the team at this point seems counter-productive to me. When Dowson was in charge, your previous posts had always been fairly positive (which I agree wasn't easy), but for some reason you seem to have joined the dark side at a time when we really all need to be pulling together. The person who has created this mess has gone but it's not going to be fixed overnight. I'm not sure if you've been to the recent games, but there is no doubt that we ARE improving although I agree, we desperately need to get some points on the board. Whether the new manager arrives soon or contract commitments mean that TB remains until the end of season, the best thing we can do as supporters is give the team as much encouragement as we can to try and get them over the line. It's going to be a real scrap and I honestly can't see what there is to be gained from calling out problems that everyone can see for themselves, when the club has already addressed the problem and the fix is underway.

As for last night, Olly Box was the obvious standout performer and easily MOTM for the second game in a row. I have high hopes for this lad, I just hope he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't do a Marvin Herschel. Olly is a real prospect and has an eye for goal. Nevertheless, despite Olly's efforts, we lost again thanks to more errors at the back. Saturday's game with Taunton is massive. A win would go some way to improving the situation.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

I’m one who has been subject to criticism on here for negative views. Airing them tends to vindicate, to a certain degree, and is, mostly, a ‘get it off your chest’ thing. Mark is very much entitled to his opinion, as was I. Strangely though, I’m going the opposite way. Negative in Dowse-time and more positive in Tony time. That’s probably because I’m resigned to defeats (including last night) and at the likes of Yeovil, Braintree, Chelmsford and Torquay. However, I’m confident we’ll pick up the odd surprise result and beat the likes of Dover (proven) Truro (twice) Taunton, Havant & W and Eastbourne. Failure in those latter fixtures and I’m afraid we might well be doomed. But it ain’t TB’s fault and I think he has made a significant difference.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Tony inherited a team that was on the slide and clearly not good enough to mount a challenge on the play ofs [Dowse Bulls.t !] and he has added a spirit to the team and they are giving 100% and it shows but effort doesnt replace class and we are ALL sweating on relegation , thats NOT negative , thats realistic but we are NOT doomed and with Tony [ or the new man ] then we have every chance of staying up

I was hoping that a new Manager [ no disrespect to Tony !!] would be in place BUT the fact that the Board are taking their time for the right man is encouraging as no-one wants in a " yes man " or a " comfortable safe appointment " , I have my choice and it aint one of them and just hoping to hell I get my wish

We have played a lot better recently, Taunton are in a mess and this is the game we must win - see you there !!!!!!!!!
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Great to see Olly Box coming through the ranks and doing the business up front 3 in 2.

What was Joash given a straight red for?
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

If we have someone who is interested in taking on the job who's to say he may back out should we be relegated?
Personally I'd like to see a new manager before the end of the season. If we see improvement but still get relegated so be it. At least we would then have the summer to keep things going and build on already improving things.
I was of the opinion of keeping Dowson as manager so everyone would see what a poor manager he really is. But to be honest..... it was like a breath of fresh air when he had gone.
His leaving has changed nothing other than we're now seeing players being brought in who want to play for the club and brought in from the academy and given a chance to show what we have coming through.. Not five minute wonders.
Not suggesting for one minute I wouldn't have Smithy in our side at this time. I think he's a good player to have around..
Taunton is a big game, and after last nights defeat, is now bigger than the Dover match.
COYD'S
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Yes, it is a bit worrying with all the struggles having players sent off isn't helping the cause.
At least I may get to see Manny play Saturday. But I do think Joash has been one of the bright lights this season.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Hope Manny Adebowle gets his chance at centre back and plays really well, I like the look of him , no frills , solid centre back , as Rooney could move into midfield [ replacing Winter ] to give us the extra bite [ especially going forward] needed to allow the others to actually play cause most of them are not ball winners !!!!
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Not wanting to start a TB love in, however listening to his interviews is a breath of fresh air and exactly what we have been missing with Douse. I always felt that SK would also give an honest assessment of the game and provide confidence for us fans that it is a work in progress. Unfortunately the board left it much to late to boot out the rot, that will be the cause of our demise if we go down, but we have to KTF and hope that the performances we are now seeing turn into points on the board which we know we desperately need.

COYD'S
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

We desperately need a couple of centre back before Saturday, we can not go the rest of the season without sorting out the mess AD has left us in .