Manny Adebowale (Sub)
No votes
Taylor Maloney (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 30

DA Mikey

Re: Dover Athletic v Dartford Sat 17 Feb 2024

Post by DA Mikey »

As soon as Dovre kicked off and twatted the ball straight into touch, it was clear that this was going to be one for the purists. Barring a few exceptions, neither side were able to string more than three passes together, sometimes this generates from a highly-anticipated game where tensions run high, other times it’s just down to poor quality. Our opposition must feel so low (not that I’m sympathising!), I can’t imagine how losing that one to cap off a six-game losing streak would have felt for us.

But fair play to TB and the boys. It took a penalty to decide and what a good penalty Luke’s was. Nice to have a few to choose between for MOTM vote, gave mine to the goalkeeper for a couple of smart saves either side of HT. About twelve points left to get from 14 games left, how much closer that will seem if we can get a win from Slough or Taunton.

COYD
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Billy was huge for not a big guy, he put in a few good saves. A dump of a ground with cardiac infarction high in Dover.
We struggled to get the win but a much needed win we got. Tony deserves a bit of luck as do the players.
Hopefully we'll push on now but still some big games ahead that we will probably struggle with. But it's a start.
My MOTM Captain Coulson
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Park Life

Post by Park Life »

I'd like to apologise to all the fans that walked to the away end thinking it was segregated after i posted to that effect after speaking direct to Dover FC on Thursday afternoon.

I asked "is the game segregated" and was told YES then asked "so away fans have got the long walk round to the away end" and again the answer was YES.

Obviously this was not the case as when we arrived we were told it was not so i posted this as soon as i knew.

I was advised at the game yesterday that Dover made this decision on FRIDAY but as far as i can tell they did not bother to make any announcement even though all previous games there had been segregated.

Not sure know whether i'll contact clubs in advance anymore!!!!
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Park Life wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:46 am I'd like to apologise to all the fans that walked to the away end thinking it was segregated after i posted to that effect after speaking direct to Dover FC on Thursday afternoon.

I asked "is the game segregated" and was told YES then asked "so away fans have got the long walk round to the away end" and again the answer was YES.

Obviously this was not the case as when we arrived we were told it was not so i posted this as soon as i knew.

I was advised at the game yesterday that Dover made this decision on FRIDAY but as far as i can tell they did not bother to make any announcement even though all previous games there had been segregated.

Not sure know whether i'll contact clubs in advance anymore!!!!
Absolutely NOT your fault Parky. I was informed at the turnstiles (whilst playing dumb - I’m good at that!) that they’d de-segregated the game only that morning due to tree-felling at the away end of the ground causing a potential hazard to those entering at that end. Unfortunately, the Stewards at the bottom of the drive (car park entrance) hadn’t been informed and they were still directing Darts fans towards the walk of doom.

Haven’t been to a Darts game at Dover before but had heard all sorts of horror stories. In fact, helped by the de-segregation decision, the facilities were alright to be fair. Food was excellent (knocks ours into a cocked-hat - inside the ground, that is!) and plenty of toilets available. Oh, and a spanking new refreshment hut at the away end too.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

….as for the game that, stating the obvious, was a massive win completing the double over Douvre. We definitely shaded the game across the 90 minutes and, what less would any have expected of a team scrapping at the foot of the table than a spirited second half by Dover, the lord only knows. Credit to them for putting up a fight and taking the game to us second period, but we defended stoically and continued to create ourselves.

Mom for me was young Ollie but mention is due to Captain Marvel Luke for another leaders performance, Billy between the sticks and Elliot for another 90 minute effort, winning is the crucial penalty.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

As you know Steve I was going to leave early, so in the second half I stayed behind the goal that the French were attacking.
I do feel somewhat for their supporters, they've had a rough deal in the last few seasons due to reasons they could do nothing about.
I did question my decision to be there as Dover were starting to play in the second half and as said, Nikaj was getting behind the defence with ease.
But the early save from Terrell was an absolute corker, the ball dipped and turned in the air from the shot.
But as regards segregation Dover is not Maidstone, I think that the Dover supporters have already accepted they are down. As they did when they were relegated from the National Premier.
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

Dover are one of most petty clubs in existence. We were told we couldn’t not put the flags over the advertising boards covering them up even though they were blank and had no advertising on them . f*cking twats !!!
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

KSTDART wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:09 am Dover are one of most petty clubs in existence. We were told we couldn’t not put the flags over the advertising boards covering them up even though they were blank and had no advertising on them . f*cking twats !!!
I would have thought that, given their financial situation,, Dover would more likely have tried to charge you for taking advertising space....
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

KSTDART wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:09 am Dover are one of most petty clubs in existence. We were told we couldn’t not put the flags over the advertising boards covering them up even though they were blank and had no advertising on them . f*cking twats !!!
Remember at Southport where the same thing happened - the flags had to come off the walls, so we all stood in front of the ads (which were totally sunbleached too if memory serves) singing “We’ll stand where we want”!

Was also interesting to see the game being streamed live in the bar, something I only remember seeing before at Nuneaton Town / Borough. Seems an odd thing to do when alcohol is not permitted pitchside. Dover were always the club to put a kibosh on filming the game IIRC too.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Whats the thoughts on the new loanee left back Tom Clifford , is he one for staying longer than a month , I have NOT been impressed with our regular full backs distribution this season so could provide some competition , never a bad thing !!!!!!!!!!!

Wont make Slough but really looking forward to the Taunton game and like 100s of others stay 100% support Tony Burman !!!

UP THE DARTS
Spike

Post by Spike »

Nothing mattered yesterday other than the result. We got the win so it was a good day. Almost all of the other results went our way too and we have a nice cushion between ourselves and the drop zone. That alone would have been enough to send me home happy, but there were other positives. Darts dominated the first half but after a bright start in the second, were under the cosh for a good portion of the second period before finishing strongly and taking the win. Overall, we just about deserved it especially given how unlucky we'd been in the previous two games. Luke Coulson is our most gifted player in my opinion,
but he often underperforms out wide and looked so much better in the central role where he was very creative and much more effective. Let's be honest, he drifts inside all the time anyway but I thought he was excellent yesterday. The other standout for me was Olly Box, who has an eye for goal and is always looking to get a shot off. It was an outstanding league debut and the lad has real confidence. He was very lively and caused Dover a good few problems. I like this lad, I really think he's a great prospect. They were the two MOTM contenders for me, in the end I went for Olly. I was also impressed to see Elliot Romaine giving great encouragement to Olly, it does feel like the team are really starting to gel. I think we'll be fine, Dowse's squad was unbalanced and missing key components, but there's some quality there and TB is plugging the gaps. I think we could do with adding another striker into the mix, but I'm inclined to believe there's more than enough talent there to avoid the drop. So on to next week
where anything at Slough would be great, but winning the Taunton game would be another massive step to safety. TB's got it covered.
Keep the faith.
COYD
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

I was holding back before posting in order to have a look at the match highlights. There's no doubt Will Bass and his commentaries really give a good feel as to how the Darts are performing.

We have been so close in recent games at getting something out of the games, so absolutely delighted that we have returned to winning ways. As others have said, Tony has brought more balance to the team, we are knocking it around well, and it only really needs the final shots to be on target, because we are now creating chances. I think we are also winning more of the first balls nowadays, and looking sharper going forward. TB has also dealt wisely in bringing players in. The side just looks more gelled and together, a la Burman style. So very pleased that he should have been able to enjoy his lager last night and also hopefully a sleepful night too, now he has a win under his belt.

COYD
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

I've just seen in the NLP that Ollie Box has made it into the NL Team of the Week!

Congratulations Ollie!!

COYD
KentC

Post by KentC »

While TB is doing a great job we must give credit to his coaching team also.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Coulson’s spot-kick gives Dartford much-needed win

Captain Luke Coulson’s late penalty earned Dartford a much-needed National League South win away to Kent rivals Dover.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/spor ... rd-301943/

Dover Athletic 1 Dartford 2 match report:
Captain Luke Coulson scores late penalty to win National League South Kent derby for the Darts after substitute Destiny Oladipo cancels out Olly Box’s first-half goal.

Captain Luke Coulson’s late penalty earned Dartford a much-needed National League South win at Kent rivals Dover on Saturday.

Coulson found the net six minutes from time after Whites substitute Destiny Oladipo had got the basement boys level in the second period.

Academy product Olly Box had earlier given the Darts the lead with a goal on his first league start, as it finished 2-1 and Dartford ended a five-game losing league run.

Jake Leberl’s side saw penalty appeals dismissed by referee Dan England in the fourth minute at Crabble for handball as George Nikaj’s shot was charged down.

Four minutes later, a combination of Dover goalkeeper Dan Jinadu and on-loan Watford defender Scott Holding denied Box at the other end before Jinadu pushed away Coulson’s 20-yard shot.

Box then blazed wide of Jinadu’s left-hand post in the 21st minute after he had been played through on the left by the influential Coulson while debutant Tom Clifford shot over.

The Darts - despite only scoring twice in their last five league fixtures - looked the more dangerous of the teams and went close again when Coulson curled over in front of a crowd of 794.

But the visitors deservedly broke the deadlock on 35 minutes. Coulson’s in-swinging corner was only half-cleared by Nikaj and Box’s deflected shot went beyond Jinadu for a goal on his league debut.

Searching for a swift response, Dover’s top scorer, Zidan Sutherland, was denied by keeper Billy Terrell before midfielder George Wilkinson failed to hit the target on 43 minutes.

Whites’ defence had to remain alert in the early stages of the second period to clear a succession of left-wing crosses.

Luke Baptiste found space at the other end and forced a 50th-minute fingertip save from Terrell.

Soon after, Sutherland couldn’t quite connect at the back post after an excellent right-wing run by Nikaj before they hit the crossbar.

And Sutherland got his feet in a tangle after more excellent work by Nikaj. The ball fell kindly to teenager Wilkinson, whose effort cracked against the woodwork with Terrell at full stretch.

Dartford nearly added a crucial second on 65 minutes, Jack Smith nodding over Fumnaya Shomotun’s left-wing cross.

Home manager Leberl threw on big striker Oladipo for Charlie Naylor in an attacking switch midway through the second half.

That move paid dividends with the hosts’ leveller with 14 minutes left. Roman Charles-Cook crossed well from the left after a good pass out of midfield by Freddie Oliver and Oladipo was on hand to bundle home for his first league goal for the club.

The Darts nearly immediately restored their advantage, though, Maxwell Statham flashing his effort across goal.

But the visitors went in front in controversial style in the 84th minute.

Terrell banged a free-kick upfield and, as striker Elliott Romain and Dover skipper Jacob Mensah battled away, the ball popped up off Mensah’s arm - although the spot-kick appeared to be awarded as Romain then went to ground.

And 29-year-old Coulson lifted over Jinadu and into the back of the net for his eighth goal this season.

Terrell appeared to make an incredible save in the final minute of normal time as Wilkinson’s in-swinging free-kick took a deflection which appeared to have taken it past the 20-year-old to deny Dover a point they arguably might have earned with their second-half display.

It means Dartford completed the double over Dover, having won 2-0 at Princes Park in August.

Whites, on a three-match losing streak, remain 12 points adrift.

They made two changes from their team which started the extraordinary 6-4 defeat at Worthing last weekend. Sutherland and Charles-Cook replaced Nick Dembele and Peter Ojemen.

Teenage Dover Academy graduate Archie Hatcher, among the goals at Woodside Road, missed out through illness. They also have signed attacking midfielder Kai Neil-Gray - although he wasn’t involved.

For the Darts, presently under interim boss Tony Burman, King’s Lynn loanee Clifford came in for the sidelined Sam Odaudu. Box and Statham replaced big forward Alex Wall and defender Tommy Block in the other changes from Tuesday’s 1-0 home defeat against Chippenham.

There was also a Crabble comeback for youngster Terrell, who was on loan with Athletic earlier this season.

Dover Athletic: Jinadu, Charles-Cook, Mensah, Holding, Naylor (Oladipo 69mins), Oyenuga, Wilkinson, Oliver, Baptiste (Allen 61mins), Nikaj, Sutherland. Subs not used: Ojemen, Young, Dembele.

Dartford: Terrell, Wynter, Smith (Maloney 86mins), Nembhard, Rooney (Adebowale 86mins), Romain, Coulson, Shomotun, Box (Wall 77mins), Clifford, Statham, Subs not used: Whitefield, Boulton.

Referee: Dan England.

Attendance: 794.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Burman: ‘The pressure was really on’

Caretaker manager Tony Burman admits the pressure was on Dartford as they earned a much-needed derby win at Dover.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... on-301957/

Dartford caretaker boss Tony Burman on a much-needed 2-1 National League South win at Dover Athletic

Caretaker manager Tony Burman admitted the pressure was on Dartford after they earned a much-needed derby win at Dover on Saturday.

The Darts collected their first National League South success since Burman temporarily replaced ex-boss Alan Dowson last month, beating bottom side Dover 2-1 through captain Luke Coulson’s late penalty and a goal on his first league start for Academy product Olly Box.

It was a result which ended a five-game losing league streak for Dartford and saw them claim a first National League South win since Boxing Day.

Burman said: “I’m just pleased for all the supporters and the players.

“The pressure was really on them today, with the defeats that we have had in recent games.

“But we kept telling them that we have played reasonably well in those games and just been punished for the mistakes that happened, and we have got to get out of the rut we were in.

“It would have been nice to keep a clean sheet - that wasn’t to be - but we kept going and, fortunately for us, we won."

A deflected goal from teenage midfielder Box was enough to ensure the Darts were ahead at the interval.

“I’d have been delighted with two - but I thought we did play well in the first half,” reflected Burman, who gave King’s Lynn loanee defender Tom Clifford his debut in place of the injured Sam Odaudu.

“I felt we didn’t press them enough in the second half, which caused us some problems, and that allowed their wide players in. That’s something I feel we need to stop.

“Having said that, they hit the crossbar in the second half and we had some crosses, which we should have had someone on the end of.

“I’m just absolutely delighted for everyone involved in the club.”

The result means Dartford are now eight points clear of the bottom four while basement boys Dover are 12 points adrift of safety.

“It’s a massive win,” Burman noted. “We’re two big clubs in Kent and we’re at the wrong end of the table - for whatever reason.

“We’re all disappointed that we find ourselves in this situation. Having said that, it was just important we stopped the rot. All the players deserve a lot of credit.

“They kept going, listened to us and the supporters were brilliant for us today. Hopefully, they’re a little bit happier - at least for a couple of days!”

Burman, 65, first took charge of the Darts in the 1990s and is now in a fourth stint in charge.

On managing modern-day players, he revealed: “It’s changed. Players have changed. I’m, obviously, a little bit ring-rusty and I’ll stick to my ways and the way that I want to be. But I think I might have learnt some of the modern-day stuff with the Academy.

“Having said that, sometimes you cannot beat putting the ball in the channel. If you have to do it, you have to do it.

“If you have someone up there - like we have at the moment in Elliott (Romain) - maybe they can get a throw-in. It’s called ‘a long pass’ now and has got credibility! But I think we are playing more football than we had been.”

Co-chairman Steve Irving revealed the club are edging closer to appointing a new full-time boss earlier in the week.

But, ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Slough and the start of three games at Princes Park as they host financially-troubled Taunton next weekend, Burman said: “I think the chairman wants to always put us under pressure to do things.

“He keeps putting these things in the paper and putting us under pressure to see what we can do!

“But I’ve said I’m quite happy to continue until the end of the season. Having said that, it’s all well and good when you win the game - but, when you’re losing, it’s difficult. There’s pressure to bring someone in.

“But we’ve got to be careful not to just bring someone in who might not be the right choice in the end.”
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I like that line 'I think we are playing more football than we have been '!!!
Understatement of the season.😁