News from around the National League South

Moderator: Gary C

The Futures White

Re: News from around the National League South

Post by The Futures White »

Adam Murray, who managed AFC Fylde to the National League North title last season, is the new manager at Eastbourne Borough.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Mark Sweet wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:38 am He's from Southend, but has signed for Ramsgate.
That’s crazy, he lives in Colchester and was travelling to Eastbourne 5 days a week that’s a 220 mile 5hr round trip.

He’s now switched to Ramsgate where he’s got a 220 mile 4hrs 20 min round trip but only 2 possibly 3 times a week and probably on less money, although Ramsgate seem to have a bit of money behind them now.

The Ramsgate manager wanted to sign him pre season but he chose Eastbourne.

It’s certainly no closer to home at all 🤷‍♂️.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Taunton Dart wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:08 am Taunton struggling financially as well. Have had a number of games postponed and have only played three games at Home (including a Somerset Cup match) in two months. Have had lucrative games postponed - Torquay twice - and now today have had their match at home to Yeovil called off! One of their best players is now on loan for the rest of the season to Yeovil and another, with league experience, has left the club by mutual consent. Things certainly not looking rosy in the county town of Somerset.
You were right mate, not looking good for Taunton

https://x.com/lloydirish/status/1743360 ... kx7o6YPmCw
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Taunton have now had 7 players leave in about 10 days - 4 this week alone. Two have gone to Yeovil, one on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent transfer, the other for a significant fee. Yeovil have recalled a player from loan. Two have had contracts mutually terminated, a player on loan at Swindon Supermarine has not transferred permanently and two other players have been released and have immediately signed for Yate Town.

As far as supporters can tell they now have a squad of 14 players including two goalkeepers and a player with a broken hand sustained in a match.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

At least they can all enjoy a pint without a queue!
Might go there this Boxing Day instead.
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Alfie Pavey back to Braintree on loan from Woking!
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Things are on the up already under TB's 4th/5th (?) managerial role, without even playing, as we leap up to 15th courtesy of Truro's 1-4 home defeat today. We head them now on goals scored with the same goal difference. A similar result down there on Tuesday would suit just fine, please.

With top prize in the latest Warbler draw, my season is looking up even more! Hope it will be for all of us very soon.

Onwards and upwards you Darts!
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Congratulations Brian. That might just cover a visit down to Princes Park to see a rejuvenated Darts performance.
Hope you are settling in well in your new abode.

COYD
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Thanks Pete. Yes, planning a weekend down South with Taunton at home on Feb 24th likely; will be my first match since watching 3 games in Aug/Sep, with some renewed hope.
Life's good in the Peak District, and moving here in October seemed a good time to be missing my Darts fix in hindsight, but it wouldn't be the same going to Chesterfield or Buxton, so 60+ years of optimistic support keeps me looking in from afar!
tommytollbooth

Post by tommytollbooth »

Welling's attractive home game against National League leaders Chesterfield in the FA Trophy turned out to be a damp squib, Chesterfield fielded their entire Academy team. Welling won 2-0 and on the bright side they won 5 grand prize money and a step nearer Wembley.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Just shows you that The National League is rapidly becoming the Premier division of non league football. What with Fylde, Aldershot and Dorking all getting knocked out by lower league clubs probably because they are worried about relegation or a play off position in the top division they are making a mockery of the FA Trophy as well as the FA Cup.
I suppose you can understand Chesterfield as getting back into the EFL is a priority for them and has been since relegation from it all those years ago.
So it's probably something like Solihull Moors V Aveley in the much awaited final. Can't wait.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Lars Resort wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:14 am Just shows you that The National League is rapidly becoming the Premier division of non league football. What with Fylde, Aldershot and Dorking all getting knocked out by lower league clubs probably because they are worried about relegation or a play off position in the top division they are making a mockery of the FA Trophy as well as the FA Cup.
I suppose you can understand Chesterfield as getting back into the EFL is a priority for them and has been since relegation from it all those years ago.
So it's probably something like Solihull Moors V Aveley in the much awaited final. Can't wait.
With Aveley getting through our game on the 10th feb is now off.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Only the one home game in February as well now then!!
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound Jimmy Saville-esque in that last post!!
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Lars Resort wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:14 am Just shows you that The National League is rapidly becoming the Premier division of non league football. What with Fylde, Aldershot and Dorking all getting knocked out by lower league clubs probably because they are worried about relegation or a play off position in the top division they are making a mockery of the FA Trophy as well as the FA Cup.
I went to the Welling v Chesterfield game expecting a bumper crowd, a great atmosphere and a deluge of (away) goals. What an utter anticlimax. A smattering of Chesterfield fans watched their Academy side totally outplayed by an average Welling team. Very disappointed.
KentC

Post by KentC »

Sleightly Deceptive wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:17 pm
I went to the Welling v Chesterfield game expecting a bumper crowd, a great atmosphere and a deluge of (away) goals. What an utter anticlimax. A smattering of Chesterfield fans watched their Academy side totally outplayed by an average Welling team. Very disappointed.

I was going to go to this game but I looked at the chesterfield forum and they made it clear they didn’t want to win this game and have no interest in the competition. To the point where they thought the first team manager wouldn’t even go.
Welling forum suggests it’s not a huge deal to them, ones fighting promotion ones fighting relegation so I understand it.

After reading all this I decided not to go.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

KentC wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:42 pm
Sleightly Deceptive wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:17 pm

I was going to go to this game but I looked at the chesterfield forum and they made it clear they didn’t want to win this game and have no interest in the competition. To the point where they thought the first team manager wouldn’t even go.
Welling forum suggests it’s not a huge deal to them, ones fighting promotion ones fighting relegation so I understand it.

After reading all this I decided not to go.
I wish I’d have read it! 🤦
Sadly, the Trophy is going into decline like the Cup!
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

M1 South wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:52 am Sorry, didn’t mean to sound Jimmy Saville-esque in that last post!!
Don’t worry, we won’t tell our mothers!
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Welling seem to be in a mess at the moment, just announced the resignation of their assistant manager. And despite winning thr FA Trophy match Danny Bloor seemed very downbeat in his interview.

Could he resign too? Does that then make him a candidate for us? Not sure how I'd feel personally as he hasn't exactly done well there, however he did do well at Eastbourne.
rambo

Post by rambo »

Re a new permanent manager I don’t know if the club just wait for interested parties to make contact or whether the Board make approaches directly to people who have jobs

I would like to put a name in the mix
Ian Allinson who is manager at Hendon and played at a decent level and by all accounts coaches a passing game over a long ball percentage game

Hendon are always fighting relegation but with Allinson in charge now they are well placed in the southern league premier south and still in the FA Trophy having beaten Oldham away on Saturday

I suggest get in early before someone else snaps him up