Archie Woods
No votes
Tyrell Miller-Rodney (Sub)
No votes
Baris Altintop (Sub)
No votes
Paul Rooney (Sub)
No votes
Park Life (for the match updates & the suffering of having to watch DFC week in, week out)
93%

Total votes: 42

Babylon

Re: Tonbridge Angels v Dartford Sat 16 Dec 2023

Post by Babylon »

Totally agree Parky.
We have gone backwards in the last 18 months.
I have had a season ticket for 17 years but I have not used it much this campaign.
Far too many ordinary players for me.
Mid table and out of all the cups not counting the Kent pub cup.
Such a disappointing campaign.
The revolving door is not for me (3 out and 3 in) doesn't work for me.
MINTY

Post by MINTY »

I haven't been to see a Darts game this season yet and quite frankly from what i have heard all season, I just might not bother.
I moved away 10 years ago, but still try and get up to see a game or 2.
Tonbridge is a short trip for me and a great place to park but having read and listened to all the reports over the the season I just wanted to watch a game and enjoy my football. I went to see my local team, which i have done all season, Bearsted FC, in the South East Counties against Erith Town. Great game 3-2 win, perfect Saturday afternoon.
I was so glad I didn't take the car to see the carnage at Tonbridge. I always look for the Darts scores first during games and always will, but I won't part with hard earned cash to see that rubbish being churned out by Dowse's team.
Dowse is a dinosaur and needs to go before the club loses more supporters and even their NLS status. Has he lost the dressing room, probably. Can the players understand him in the dressing room, probably not, I can't understand his interviews !
The Board need to act fast and not sit on their hands, otherwise this is only going to get worse.
KentC

Post by KentC »

Park Life wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:50 pm 100% not the boards fault IMO.
When Dowse was given the job i can't recall anyone questioning the decision and at the time it looked a good appointment.

The board will continue to get my full backing but I'll speak to them face to face and discuss things when i feel the need as they are approachable and will always listen. ANYONE can do the same if you're at the games.

Do you not think the board could do more to support increasing attendances. How much do they do?
I ask you because I know you have excellent knowledge and always have a balanced view.

IMO the board made a decent choice of manager and of what I see have backed him massively, so credit to them.

However I see no desire to get people through the door, no trying to capture floating fans or reaching out the this massive football community here in a Dartford. It’s bloody huge.
I have kids at Sunday teams, kids at school teams , parents going all over the place watching the kids, both mums and dads as well as at times grandparents.
I live 5 mins from the ground ever since it was built and I see nothing that screams out to the locals to the community that were your Dartford FC, we have a great stadium and facilities, come and watch us at affordable family prices.

You may agree with this you may disagree but this is one of the reasons I believe we lack ambition.

Plenty of other clubs do this.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Utter s**** today. Not for the first time and certainly not for the last.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Just seen on DFC Twitter that Martin Tylers post match interview has been corrupted [ smart decision by someone ] BUT who really cares what he or Dowse has to say anymore cause they have have lost credibility with the vast majority of the fans and should go !!!!!!!!!!!!
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Well, certainly not the result we wanted into the build up to the Christmas fixtures and New Year fixtures. Hadn't realised until later this evening the Coulson was not in the side today, so his loss of energy would have been a big miss today.

Just so sad to be reading all the comments, and when you get the likes of Park Life, Spike and KST getting frustrated, then it does become serious.

Also, I agree with Park Life in that I don't blame the board. There have been some excellent work going on behind the scenes with the Development teams and the Women's team.

To me, from afar, the board have backed the manager, but as so many others have said, player recruitment has been poor with too many injury prone players on the books. I still don't understand the need to have travelled up to Dunston for the preseason friendly. A long way to go and an expensive overnight trip, even for a bonding exercise. But I guess it was the club who paid for it. I would have been happier if we had made progress in the FA Cup and dreaming of the possibility of a visit to Newcastle, or Gateshead or Roker Park, but we have been so cheaply dismissed from the FA Trophy and FA Cup in recent seasons, that it is Cray Valley Paper Mills who make the headlines!!

Supporters talk of hoof ball,and many of the match highlights and streamed games support those views. I still can't believe we are still seeing so much of it. I also agree with those who say many of the players are well capable of raising their game, and that has shown, but only in small doses.

To me, the drop off in crowds, is one of the most worrying aspects, especially, when locally, lower level clubs are attracting bigger gates. We look a long way a way from doing an 'Ebbsfleet' this Xmas and New Year, but who knows, maybe we will.

The St Albans game is going to be no pushover either.
So let's hope that the players can raise their game to that of our recent signings.

COYD
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

28/10/23 - Hemel 2 Darts 1 - sack the manager
31/10/23 - Darts 4 Weston 2 - don’t sack the manager
07/11/23 - Darts 1 Chelmo 2 - sack the manager
14/11/22 - Worthing 3 Darts 4 - don’t sack the manager
18/11/23 - Darts 0 Maidstone 1 - sack the manager
21/11/23 - Darts 0 Braintree 2 - sack the manager
25/11/23 - Darts 3 Torquay 0 - don’t sack the manager
28/11/23 - Darts 5 Bromley 1 - don’t sack the manager
09/12/23 - Darts 2 Yeovil 2 - don’t sack the manager
16/12/23 - Angels 4 Dartford 0 - sack the manager

Going back to October, this is tightly balanced at 5-5 (4-4 if we exclude the cup games where the lynch / keep mob was a bit quieter). So what does this mean? A definitive reprieve at home to St. Albans this Saturday, followed by a nailed-on dismissal at Welling, then another turned corner at home to the wings on 30/12/23?

I’m at the stage now where dreams and ambition have gone out the window (many of you already here I see). We once again disappeared from the FA Cup & Trophy without even wiping our feet, have achieved a couple of good results when expectations were low and lost when looking to break this dizzying cycle of inconsistency. I do think we are a bit more predictable than general consensus rallies, the chances are that we will not lose at home to St. Albans or Welling, but probably will at PVR.

We finally registered two (poor & off-target) attempts on goal when Rooney was introduced yesterday, yet in spite of this actually began the game well with bellowing old-school support which took me back a few seasons. Angels’ first two goals came from their only two forays into our box and up to this point, we were definitely still in it.

Five points from playoffs, five from relegation. Don’t expect any significant improvement, law of averages says at least four teams will be worse than us. Ho-Ho-Ho-hum, merry Crisismas.
Russyb63

Post by Russyb63 »

Mornings All , Not too sure what i can say thats all ready been said but just wanna add my 2 pennies worth .
Players in & out its like a carousel these days nobody knows who is next , but we sign a decent forward then get rid of a wide player but thats surely what we lack , forwards need service & that was non existent yday !
Am i on the board side , prob 70/30 in favour but its dwindling quickly , poor results aint gonna bring in fans , its gonna diminish very quickly . I agree with ParkLife the board seem approachable but not enough of us do it , but the board should read these comments or perhaps they do ???
Mr Dowson , well i have been amazed at some of his decisions & half the time cant work it out ! Should he go , prob yes , think he has had enough chances now but will the board do anything ???? Mr Dowson & his entourage interviews are on loop consistently , same old excuses , its getting very tiring & boring now !!!!!!!!
See you all next Saturday . 🎯🎯🎯
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

We are a mediocre side going nowhere. One step away from dangerously getting into the play offs placing and one away from a relegation battle.
Dowse is going nowhere and we may be in danger of doing it all again next season.
Even with the inclusion of the likes of Richard and George he seems to conjure up a piss poor performance.bHe manages to stifle the talent in the side.
Agree with Lenny and Duke, get a young man in with a fresh look to the game.
I was expecting some/any points yesterday even though Tonbridge have vastly improved. But turned of my phone at half time expecting PL to keep pinging goals. And not to us.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

I also back the board 100%
They are dedicated and imho the CLUB is well run and in safe hands

Regarding Dowson and Co....it is the revolving door that is so annoying.
A settled squad with 1 or 2 additions is surely the way to go .
I was pleased when Dowse came in but this season is quickly turning into a non event.
Miss a couple of games and there is half a new team on the park.
You Cannot get a good team spirit and a "fighting for the shirt " attitude by hiring and firing.
Regulars(including me) are voting with their feet.
It is not all about winning or losing .....but
I also want to enjoy my football.
Sadly there hasn't been a lot of entertaining football this season imho.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Just putting this thought out there - I wonder if Tony Burman with Ben Greenhalgh might be an option through to the end of the season with a view to developing Ben as a potential first team manager? They both seem to be doing very well with the academy, both have experience at this level of the game too.
KentC

Post by KentC »

Russyb63 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:35 am Mornings All , Not too sure what i can say thats all ready been said but just wanna add my 2 pennies worth .
Players in & out its like a carousel these days nobody knows who is next , but we sign a decent forward then get rid of a wide player but thats surely what we lack , forwards need service & that was non existent yday !
Am i on the board side , prob 70/30 in favour but its dwindling quickly , poor results aint gonna bring in fans , its gonna diminish very quickly . I agree with ParkLife the board seem approachable but not enough of us do it , but the board should read these comments or perhaps they do ???
Mr Dowson , well i have been amazed at some of his decisions & half the time cant work it out ! Should he go , prob yes , think he has had enough chances now but will the board do anything ???? Mr Dowson & his entourage interviews are on loop consistently , same old excuses , its getting very tiring & boring now !!!!!!!!
See you all next Saturday . 🎯🎯🎯

Interested to know what your view is on why not enough people approach the board, why would they, why should they.
I am not having a dig at them just trying to understand why someone like me would approach them.
Most people I’d imagine but certainly myself, I have no desire to do anything like that.
I believe they’re approachable yes, I would have no problem approaching them if I want to. I don’t understand why someone would.
They have their massively important roles and know the club is very safe with them in charge and that counts for a lot.
There are a few things that are not done well but that’s my opinion and I can back it up.
Nothing I say or do will change anything so I just accept that if I don’t like the way something is done I just got to live with it. Im not going to worry, stress or waste energy over something where I feel the need to contact them.
And while I am not in the know in any way at all it’s pretty obvious to me they do read the forum and I don’t think that’s a bad thing.
KentC

Post by KentC »

Babylon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:53 am I also back the board 100%
They are dedicated and imho the CLUB is well run and in safe hands

Regarding Dowson and Co....it is the revolving door that is so annoying.
A settled squad with 1 or 2 additions is surely the way to go .
I was pleased when Dowse came in but this season is quickly turning into a non event.
Miss a couple of games and there is half a new team on the park.
You Cannot get a good team spirit and a "fighting for the shirt " attitude by hiring and firing.
Regulars(including me) are voting with their feet.
It is not all about winning or losing .....but
I also want to enjoy my football.
Sadly there hasn't been a lot of entertaining football this season imho.

Do you think we could do more to attract the local community and increase attendances.

Watching Dartford fc should be the highlight of the week for the locals and families. A day out to be enjoyed by all.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Tony H wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:32 am Just putting this thought out there - I wonder if Tony Burman with Ben Greenhalgh might be an option through to the end of the season with a view to developing Ben as a potential first team manager? They both seem to be doing very well with the academy, both have experience at this level of the game too.
Burman isn't a progressive manager, sacking Dowse and getting him in would achieve nothing. Academy football is completely different to professional football. Ben needs a "professional" job first before we even think about giving him a chance imo.

If Dowse does go Harrop from Braintree is a name I like and wouldn't be opposed to seeing in our dugout.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

We've had two top managers at this level in Steve King and Alan Dowson. They can't both be wrong, can they?
They've both banged on about the budget at times without directly criticising it and have had no choice other than to draw on their wide pool of contacts through the loan system
to work within that budget.
They've both done their best with the finances at their disposal.
And if the club think they can win back the stay away fans by temporarily showcasing one or two young stars of the future, it's not working. The revolving door isn't the best option but what more can these managers do if the club can't afford players of it's own.
As for sacking Dowson I can't see what difference that's going to make under the present structure. Quite frankly I think it will be the same whoever comes in. The next unfortunate incumbent will have one arm tied behind his back from day one, when he or she is issued with a limited budget with a ruddy great dent in it caused by the paying up of their predecessor's contract. So don't expect to see quality managerial applications come flooding in either.
Obviously the club were impressed with the cv's submitted by Dowse and Kingy but has anybody thought to ask if the club has met the managers' expectations?
Juggling the budget by sending players out on loan to accommodate loanees coming in doesn't bode well for team spirit. Bonner, Bradbrook, Harris, Hayes and Noble weren't on loan. Nor Champion, Arber, Burns, Rose, Wallis and the list goes on. It all makes a mockery now of that preseason bonding trip to the North East.
I don't know how the budget compares with other clubs on the up or how flexible it is due to lack of transparency being classified as confidentiality.
What I do know is, there are generally two types of boardrooms at football clubs. Those with fundraisers and those with investors.
I have no idea which one resembles the Princes Park board the closest but as more money filters its way down the pyramid you won't get anywhere just by selling golden goals and raffle tickets. Especially when attendances are falling away faster than the meat off the bone in a slow cooker.
Last edited by Ajaxman DFC on Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Parky; You say the board are approachable but apart from one co-chairman & an ex manager are they??
Firstly who are the rest of the board, is it listed anywhere?, secondly they sit up in the Directors box for the game (which us mere mortals are not allowed in) & then post match in Champions bar (which again we are not officially allowed in!!)
So begs the question when/where can you approach them if as Kent C states you want to anyway??
Paulcanary

Post by Paulcanary »

Ajaxman DFC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:59 am We've had two top managers at this level in Steve King and Alan Dowson. They can't both be wrong, can they?
They've both banged on about the budget at times without directly criticising it and have had no choice other than to draw on their wide pool of contacts through the loan system
to work within that budget.
They've both done their best with the finances at their disposal.
And if the club think they can win back the stay away fans by temporarily showcasing one or two young stars of the future, it's not working. The revolving door isn't the best option but what more can these managers do if the club can't afford players of it's own.
As for sacking Dowson I can't see what difference that's going to make under the present structure. Quite frankly I think it will be the same whoever comes in. The next unfortunate incumbent will have one arm tied behind his back from day one, when he or she is issued with a limited budget with a ruddy great dent in it caused by the paying up of their predecessor's contract. So don't expect to see quality managerial applications come flooding in either.
Obviously the club were impressed with the cv's submitted by Dowse and Kingy but has anybody thought to ask if the club has met the managers' expectations?
Juggling the budget by sending players out on loan to accommodate loanees coming in doesn't bode well for team spirit. Bonner, Bradbrook, Harris, Hayes and Noble weren't on loan. Nor Champion, Arber, Burns, Rose, Wallis and the list goes on. It all makes a mockery now of that preseason bonding trip to the North East.
I don't know how the budget compares with other clubs on the up or how flexible it is due to lack of transparency being classified as confidentiality.
What I do know is, there are generally two types of boardrooms at football clubs. Those with fundraisers and those with investors.
I have no idea which one resembles the Princes Park board the closest but as more money filters its way down the pyramid you won't get anywhere just by selling golden goals and raffle tickets. Especially when attendances are falling away faster than the meat on the bone in a slow cooker.
Hard to disagree with the above ! Honest and to the point
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Insinuation seems to be that both SK and AD have failed here, therefore DFC must be the common denominator. With King picking us up from the relegation zone and finishing in the playoff spots twice out of two campaigns and Dowson finishing second in his only full campaign, I find this a difficult notion to argue in favour of when Dowse was sacked by Woking & King sacked (I think) from H&W and all but sacked from Gloucester City.
Opinions and debate are what keep the forum thriving, but facts speak for themselves. Not trying to say that 2023/24 has been a successful season, but are the budgets and ‘boards’ at these other clubs all unworkable too?
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Interesting that PL seems to be running away with MOTM and also that only two votes have been made as regards the 14 players players on the pitch.
Having once been told I shouldn't vote if I didn't attend the game, can I plead with those that should be approached. Can I vote for Parky please?
I didn't go to the game and find I am voting with my feet by cherry picking games now. Myself, I'm not enjoying the football and at this rate probably won't attend another game this season. Coming up to visit my brother's is an excuse now to take in a match.
After 56 years of supporting the club I am astonished to find myself saying that.
The Welling matches are no attraction for me this festive season unlike the walloping of the others last year. I am beginning to find it hard to get in the car for the 40 minute trip from Faversham. Am I getting old? Even watching the more local matches I find is a chore, so maybe it is an age thing.
But I threw in my hat a while back and said it would be good to get someone like Steve Morison in from Hornchurch. But now I'm thinking the lad will probably be passing us next season anyway.
It is a sad situation, but I don't enjoy Dowse and his team and the football he is producing. It was a good win against Torquay and then a 'great escape ' against Yeovil. I'm hoping that Yeovil will not be my last this season.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

M1 South wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:01 am Parky; You say the board are approachable but apart from one co-chairman & an ex manager are they??
Firstly who are the rest of the board, is it listed anywhere?, secondly they sit up in the Directors box for the game (which us mere mortals are not allowed in) & then post match in Champions bar (which again we are not officially allowed in!!)
So begs the question when/where can you approach them if as Kent C states you want to anyway??
Listed here mate but it's on the club website so no surprise it's not current :roll: :roll:

https://www.dartfordfc.com/club-2/

However the vast majority are still directors and most of them walk round the ground home/away on matchdays so if anyone did want to speak to them the opportunity is there. I was actually standing with Steve.I yesterday and had a good chat with him and trust me they are genuine fans as well and to see Steve at the final whistle yesterday it was obvious he was hurting as much as all of us.

As for the B****T, we are not the highest payers but we have a competitive budget otherwise we would not make the play offs virtually every season under different managers. Tough times atm but imo the board are doing a good job and you only have to see the player comings and goings to know they are also backing the current manager. He needed to build a team and just tweak things when required rather than keep changing things on the hope it all comes good but we're 18 Months in and i can't see anything has improved playing wise.