Dowson: Defending has to shape up - 09/11/23

Park Life

Dowson: Defending has to shape up - 09/11/23

Post by Park Life »

Apparently we're conceding too many and not scoring enough from open play.....

"Defending has to shape up"

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... up-296643/

Dartford boss Alan Dowson admits side’s defending is not up to scratch after conceding six goals in last three National League South matches.

Manager Alan Dowson has admitted Dartford are conceding too many goals.

The Darts had appeared to have tightened up defensively but they shipped four goals at Hampton last month and have conceded two goals in each of their last three National League South matches, including Tuesday night’s 2-1 reverse at home to Chelmsford.

“I feel we’re a bit vulnerable at the back at the minute,” stated Dowson.

“All the sides I’ve had that have won championships have always had really strong backlines, and I don’t mean just the back four, in front of them as well.

“It’s a concern, the goals we’re shipping. We had some clean sheets but, as a whole, we’re conceding a lot of goals at the minute and we need to put a stop to that.”

Dowson is hoping that Sam Odaudu will return for Saturday’s trip to Truro, as well as Tuesday night’s game at Worthing, although the two away trips may come too soon for Tommy Block.

“They’re two tough games but we’ve got to pick up points like I thought we would do against Chelmsford,” added Dowson. “There’s no magic formula, we’ve just got to crack on.

“I want Sam back in and I want Blocky back in, I signed him to strengthen our back four and at the minute I think we look a bit lightweight.

“The defenders have got to defend. I thought the back four and my goalkeeper didn’t do very well (against Chelmsford). I think we need to look at that.

“The players have got to give more than six out of 10 and there’s too many of them at the minute. I’m disappointed to lose the game against a decent Chelmsford side, and fair play to them.

“We’re trying to find that consistency. I don’t think we’ve had anyone outstanding. If we had to pick a player-of-the-year now, it would be difficult.

“The goals have dried up from open play a bit. We need people up front to score more goals as we’re getting the ball in a lot of areas.”

Dowson is hoping that striker Alex Wall’s return from suspension can provide his squad with a timely boost.

“We’re not firing on all cylinders up top but I do think that Alex Wall could be the one, if we can keep him fit then there’s no one better than him,” said the Dartford boss.

“He proved that last season, when we were playing our best football, Wall was in the team against Ebbsfleet twice. I just hope we can get a fit Wall.

“He’s been frustrated by injuries but he came on last week and scored two before he was sent off. But at least he’s come on and scored twice.

“We’re getting a lot of balls into the box at the moment but we’re not scoring enough goals. Hopefully it could be a turning point for him.”
The Duke

Re: Dowson: Defending has to shape up - 09/11/23

Post by The Duke »

Parky , Dowse's interviews obviously upset you and it aint worth it , I dont listen to him anymore as I have no interest in what he has to say !!!
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Dowse even has the nerve to blame Beeney and say he was poor on Tuesday night 😳😳😳. If it wasn’t for Beeney making the saves he did then the score line would’ve been a hell of a lot worse than losing 1-2.

I’m afraid Dowse is just becoming an even bigger joke as each week passes and is quite happy to blame anyone & everyone except himself. These players are HIS signings nobody else’s and this team is a worse team than last seasons and they were players that Dowse moaned about then because they wasn’t his players.

Bonner & Essem used to constantly get blamed for stuff yet he constantly blew smoke up Toms arse when he left. The guy is nothing but clueless I’m afraid and it is now time for him to go.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Blaming Mitch is laughable and on another interview, the referees. Yes, the refereeing is not the ticket but I do believe that blaming anyone at the moment is better than getting a hit himself. To blame Mitch Beeney for the Chelmsford defeat is pretty low.