Dowson: I had to behave myself - 23/10/23

Park Life

Dowson: I had to behave myself - 23/10/23

Post by Park Life »

"I had to behave myself"

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... on-295563/

Dartford manager Alan Dowson reacts to 2-0 home win over former boss Steve King’s Havant & Waterlooville side in National League South.

Dartford manager Alan Dowson admitted he and his players had to keep their emotions in check against Havant on Saturday.

The Darts were up against former boss Steve King - the man Dowson succeeded in the home dugout - and the hosts also included five former Havant players in their starting line-up.

Dowson was keen to ensure that emotions didn’t get the better of his players - and that included the manager himself on the touchline.

“I had to behave myself,” stated Dowson. “It’s all very well wanting to beat your former club and did I want to beat the former manager? Of course, I did.

“But if you show too much emotion then it becomes a fight and we’re not very good at that.

“We had to make sure that the only thing that mattered was us getting a result.

“The only way ex-players can do anything is by what they did today, proving they are better than them.

“I knew it was a big game for Paul Rooney, Tyrell Miller-Rodney and Joash Nembhard, of course it was. They all did well and I’m pleased for them.

“It was all about getting the three points with the ex-manager coming down.”

Dowson was delighted with another clean sheet for his defence and two goals for centre-half Joash Nembhard.

Two former Havant players impressed at the heart of the Darts defence with Moussa Diarra shining alongside Nembhard.

“The two centre-halves were good,” added Dowson. “Moussa had his best game for us as well, the back four has started to keep clean sheets.

“We started the game very well. It looks as though we’ve turned a corner. Max Statham was back but couldn’t get on, Luke Allen was back, Paul Rooney played over 80 minutes, Alex Wall is back in training and disappointed he wasn’t in the squad.

“It was only in the last 15 minutes where we let them in once or twice but apart from that they didn’t cause us many problems.

“We felt we could test their keeper as he’s been out for a long time and we did that with Moussa challenging him for the first goal.”

Dartford are up to 10th in National League South and make the trip to Eastbourne on Tuesday night.

It’s three wins out of four and the Darts boss wants them to continue their good form on the coast.

“We’re in the top 10 now and we’re thinking we can go into the top seven,” said Dowson. “I’ve always said when people are fit we can get in there.

“It’s the first time I’ve had a fit squad to choose from since the Charlton game in pre-season.

“I know injuries go on but I just want to play my best team and if I can put that out against anyone else and we get beat then that’s on me.

“At least we lost the game by playing well at Hampton last week, the other games we’ve lost I think we’ve deserved to lose.

“We’ve won four out of five (in all competitions), maybe we’ve turned the corner and if we win on Tuesday night then we’ve definitely turned it.

“Eastbourne were one of the favourites at the start of the season with the money they had to spend.

“But they’ve got a younger side, they’re full-time and will probably recover better than us from playing at the weekend. If we are to challenge then we need to go down there and get a result.”