Dartford Players of The Past

Moderator: Gary C

Trevor B

Re: Dartford Players of The Past

Post by Trevor B »

Roger Said
[Now they were the good old days at Watling Street.
Remember them so well when I was a lad.
Roger do you remember my favourite centre forward who left just before the 1961-62 season Tommy Huckstepp
No one headed a ball harder than him and in the 1959-60 season he made 41 appearances and scored 37 goals an incredible performance and I would like to see one or more of our current mix of big strong forwards get even half that number of goals :lol:
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Yes, I remember 'Tommy the Tank' , and his brother Johnny Huckstepp, who played mainly for the reserves in the Metropolitan League.

I can still visualise that team very clearly 60+ years later.

And that includes probably my favourite goalkeeper of all time, a certain Dave Underwood, who besides Watford and Fulham, also played for Liverpool for a short spell in 1953. In later times, he signed for Fulham in the old first division, as a replacement for the injured Tony Macedo, which saw him return to Anfield for a league game v Liverpool. He received an absolutely amazing reception from the Liverpool fans as they welcomed him back to Anfield. I know - I was there just to see him in action again. Fulham were well beaten that day, and but for a superb performance from Dave, would have been an even heavier defeat. What a character he was.
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Pete

We go back a long way not just at school but as fans of The Darts for many years
1953-54 was my first season but at 5 years old I can only recall one player from then Jeff Newstead who had signed in 1951 and then continued playing for us through to 1962-63 so I aged along with him.
Then being a bit older in the 1957-58 season I can well remember Dave Underwood and agree probably the best goalkeeper I have seen at Dartford
Of the the 1960-61 season you mentioned Johnny Huckstepp who scored 3 goals for the first team whilst mainly playing in the reserves.
1961-2 was the one worth remembering with the first team winning promotion and the reserves winning the Metropolitan League and for me it was non stop supporting them as I lived just around the corner from the ground and so was watching both teams for home games
Spike

Post by Spike »

Tommy Huckstepp. Here he is, closing in on the ball ...
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Spike yes he did score a good few goals with his boot it was just that he was too quick for photo's when scoring with his head :lol:
Or maybe you will find one ;)
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

I see Jacob Berkley-Agyepong played for Havant Saturday

Be interesting when they visit PP next month
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

JCJ wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:17 pm I see Jacob Berkley-Agyepong played for Havant Saturday

Be interesting when they visit PP next month
If hes still there by then.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

I'm sure he will be. He's a SK lad. Just hope he's not on form.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I read the match report on Altrincham V Ebbsfleet in the NLP and saw how Fleet were 4-1 down at half time and thought of the Boxing Day game last season. Dennis must have been re-living a nightmare.
So I watched both the matches over the Christmas period last season just to get a feeling of what I'm missing from the present games. Maybe we should get the lads to watch these games themselves. Yes we had Wall, Sheringham scoring in these games and I am wondering if the present squad could get anywhere near the performances of those two games.
What is it that Dowse cannot get from his present squad that he got 10 months ago? Yes we are players missing from back then but the present squad is HIS squad and for the life of me I can't see this crowd emulating anything near as good.
Maybe I'm wrong and maybe the win on Saturday is the kick-start the lads need. We have good players in there but no one seems to be playing TOGETHER.
Yes, I'm down about what I have watched this season and I needed a lift. Maybe they could do with a lift and get them to watch the Boxing Day game to see what it's like to put in a performance that everyone can shout about. Because there's not many of those about.
I need a holiday. :evil:
The Futures White

Post by The Futures White »

Woking have signed Alfie Pavey from Farnborough for an undisclosed fee.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

The Futures White wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:48 pm Woking have signed Alfie Pavey from Farnborough for an undisclosed fee.
The one that went the other way!
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Marcus Dinanger scores two more for Gateshead at Oxford City last night. Oh for a Marcus Dinanger.
The Futures White

Less than a week after being recalled by Oxford Utd and then subsequently loaned out to Maidenhead Utd James Golding was voted into the team of the week for both the Vanarama National League and the Non-League Paper.
Harry

Post by Harry »

The Futures White wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:32 pm Less than a week after being recalled by Oxford Utd and then subsequently loaned out to Maidenhead Utd James Golding was voted into the team of the week for both the Vanarama National League and the Non-League Paper.
Clearly a very good player, perhaps Oxford wanted him playing a higher level and weren't happy with him sitting on our bench.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Harry wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:25 pm Clearly a very good player, perhaps Oxford wanted him playing a higher level and weren't happy with him sitting on our bench.
Golding had 9 appearances and 1 as sub for us. He was never a bench warmer for the full 90+ mins.
The Futures White

Bobby Dunn has left St Albans and signed for Chatham Town.
The Futures White

It appears that Steve King is building a team of ex Darts at H&W. Since his arrival he has signed Tom Bonner, Jack Jebb, Jacob Berkely-Achempong, Michael Kedman and Reice Charles-Cook. Former Dart loanee Kai Innocent was already at H&W.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

Shows the players had respect for Kingy if some off the some of the supporters didn’t speaks volumes when you see H&W line up today
Ring of fire

Post by Ring of fire »

I'd speak volumes, when they win a point only...
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

The Futures White wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:54 pm It appears that Steve King is building a team of ex Darts at H&W. Since his arrival he has signed Tom Bonner, Jack Jebb, Jacob Berkely-Achempong, Michael Kedman and Reice Charles-Cook. Former Dart loanee Kai Innocent was already at H&W.
Kedman one of kings dodgy signings.