Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
No votes
Lewis Manor (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 36

KSTDART

Re: Dartford v Bath City Sat 5 Aug 2023

Post by KSTDART »

We played some nice football at times today and we are not far being a good side but we look so soft at the back . It needs to be sorted out asap . Centre backs looked way off the pace but Beeney had a shocker . He should have saved 2 out of the 3 goals imo
. He is a really nice guy but unfortunately there is no time for sentiment. Bath did not look anything special but we twice gifted them goals Their young keeper had a very good game and deserves a lot of credit for keeping them in it . Tale of 2 keepers today but I sure AD will sort out our issues, its early days and although this feels like a loss there was a lot of positives .

Have to ip load the goals later as going out.
KentC

Post by KentC »

Beeney has an MOM vote
KentC

Post by KentC »

KentC wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:20 pm Beeney has an MOM vote
No it’s not me
MickW

Post by MickW »

For the first 70 minutes I thought we played well - then we had a mad 10 minutes or so letting them get 2 sloppy goals. So we go and get a third - well done lads, after that it should have been about game management seeing out the last minutes. However we just banged the ball upfield again giving them the opportunity to cone back at us which they did with apomb.
Overall I am quite content that we have the making of a good team something that I had been concerned about given all the changes.
If the ref was applying the directive about adding on realistic extra time he's probably doing his job but plus 8 in the first half and 10 in the second meant I missed my tea. Now I've got to retrain my missus.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Some aspects of our play today did not surprise me and are a concern, but there were some positives to take out of it as well.

For the first game of the season we played pretty well first half and deservedly went in 1-0.
Came out second half and continued to play well and deservedly got a second goal and at that stage i was confident we would go on and secure the victory. But unfortunately through poor defending they got a goal back quickly and then equalised soon after. We responded well and re-took the lead and had another decent chance/goalmouth scramble which if converted, i'm confident we would have gone on and won the game. But again more poor defending enabled them to equalise when they were down to ten men.

To score three goals at home and not win is a major disappointment and as everyone who was there could see, we have a lot of work to do defensively. I don't think any of the back five had a decent game and the Individual errors and ease with which Bath turned our defenders in and around the box was a big concern for me.

On a positive note, we looked good going forward and the three up front caused Bath problems all game. Harvey had a good game but Brandon and Luke.C were head and shoulders the best two players on the pitch.

Over the 90 minutes i thought we were the better team but can't complain about the result when you give away soft goals. Dowse will be aware he has got some work to do and hinted at that in a recent interview, but if he can sort us out defensively there were some promising signs today.

MOTM between Brandon and Luke.C but gave it to Luke, he was class all game and chipped in with two good goals.

As for Bath, they were poorly disciplined and amounted 6 or 7 bookings and one red, if they continue to play like they did today they will need a bloody big bench to fit all the suspended players on. Also disappointing to see near the end their guy shoving Brandon into the advertising boards, especially bearing in mind what happened to one of their players recently.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

I’m afraid our complete back line of 4 defenders & keeper had shockers, if anything Tommy Block was the only one to come out with any sort of credit. Our 2 centre half’s of Altintop & Nembhard played like complete & utter strangers all over the place and didn’t seem to talk. Odaudu seemed to get caught out of position far too often throughout the game and we conceded 3 very soft goals.

The signing of Beeney didn’t install me with the greatest of confidence when it was announced and from what I’ve seen in the 2 friendlies I got to and today nothing has changed my mind. Unfortunately Dowse let a far better keeper walk away and end up playing in a level below.

Harvey battled away up front and really should’ve lobbed the keeper in the 1st half as he did against St Albans as the keeper had already committed himself to going down but instead Harvey left it late and went low for the keeper to save. How the ref never gave the amount of fouls against Harvey today I don’t know, the No 6 tried to rip the shirt off his back numerous times today & their No 23 was a disgrace.

Barzey looked very dangerous today and I’m certain he’ll create & score a lot more goals this season.

Luke Allen had a very good game in central midfield pushing forward to support Harvey almost in the No 10 kind of role.

Luke Coulson started off a bit slow with some dire crosses & corners but he eventually got going and ended on fire with 2 excellent goals especially his first which almost burnt a hole in the net. He got my MOTM vote.

Whynter had an average game for him but Miller-Rodney loos like he could be a strong midfielder for us.

Not quite sure why Dowse left the subs far to late in the game and then right at the end put Charlie & Lewis on, both probably should’ve been put in a lot earlier.

Hopefully Brandon’s ok and didn’t pick up an injury right near the end, I think he came off more as a precaution although when it first happened and he was rolling around it looked as though he was in a lot of pain.

Hopefully this new centre back does appear on Monday and has shaken off his injury and goes straight into the team to tighten things up as we can’t afford to keep leaking goals like we have done in preseason & today.

I know it’s very very early days and I’m sure Dowse will sort things out but it’s not been the best of starts throwing away a 2 goal lead and then a 3-2 lead.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I dont have anything else to add to the comments about todays game , its the 1st one and Dowse will have learned a lot and with the new centre back coming in early next week , a seasoned pro and very well known to Dowse and his methods then I believe we will see a big tightening up at the back

Coulson clearly MOTM and Barzey exciting and will put bums on seats !!!!!!!!
rambo

Post by rambo »

Very disappointing result and two points dropped
We played well most of the game but at 2-0 we decided to play in our own hslf and invited bath on to us
It was a disaster of our own making
Win the game well don’t try to hold the game
The keeper has a great kick but hasn’t learned how to stop footballs trickling into the net
Strangely I am still looking forward to a good season but I hope Dowse decides to learn from his mistakes
Fred OLness

Post by Fred OLness »

Just bumped into the character known as Runcorn (where he lives), in The Rose.
Ironically we were just talking about him and whether he might turn up at Weymouth next week.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match Report by Chris Palmer

New Captain, Luke Coulson, scored a brace with a Man of The Match performance in an entertaining curtain raiser at Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park.

However, many of the Dartford supporters in amongst the 904 in attendance this afternoon will be wondering how their team didn’t take all three points! Afterall, the hosts dominated for a majority of the game… a feat that started off right at the beginning…

Alan Dowson’s rebuilt squad looked up for the occasion straight from the kick-off, and forced a couple of early corners after the lively Brandon Barzey had intercepted the ball from Danny Greenslade within the opening seconds.

However, despite the bright start, it was actually the visitors who had the ball in the back of the net first. But, Dan Hayfield’s 9th minute effort was chalked off for offside by referee Mr Steve Parkinson.

Brushing that little moment aside, the Darts continued to press high up the pitch and came close to taking the lead in the fourteenth minute. Mitchell Beeney’s long kick saw Harvey Bradbury breach The Romans’ backline, only to see his effort saved by Ollie Wright. The goalkeeper then reacted quickly to prevent Barzey from scoring with the follow-up!

The excellent Bradbury almost got through again seven minutes later, only for City’s Skipper Kieran Parselle step in with a vital block. The duo would continue a fierce battle all afternoon, as Bradbury posed a serious threat to the City defence. In fact, Parselle spent half the game trying his best to get the Dartford striker’s shirt! Yet, he’d become the first player to receive a yellow card this afternoon, ironically, for expressing his opinion to Mr Parkinson too much (24)!

Luke Russe was the second to go into the referee’s book, after hacking down Barzey during the Dartford player’s excellent run (35). That moment came in between two opportunities for the hosts, which saw both Luke Coulson (28) and Joash Nembhard (37) see their efforts fly narrowly over Wright’s crossbar.

With the new rules of the beautiful game filtering down to the Non-League pyramid this season, Mr Parkinson added an additional eight minutes to the end of the first forty-five… and it was something that the hosts took advantage of.

Tyrell Miller-Rodney was the centre of attention on this occasion, being brought down by Ben Morgan. The Roman received a yellow card and, after a number of blocks on the goal-line, Miller-Rodney was on hand to smash home the opening goal of the afternoon (45+4).

Ironically, the goalscorer also became the first Dartford player to receive a yellow card four minutes later, in what appeared to be a 50/50 challenge.

Normal service resumed during the opening exchanges of the second-half, and Luke Allen came close with a low drive which curled agonisingly wide of Wright’s upright in the 52nd minute.

Soon afterwards, Jack Batten became the fourth Roman to be booked for a late challenge on Miller-Rodney… something he’d regret as the game progressed. That was soon followed by a rare Bath City attack along their left-flank, which resulted with Tom Smith shooting just over Mitchell Beeney’s crossbar (58).

Baris Altintop was the next player to be booked, before his Captain doubled the Darts’ advantage. The goal came from an initial free-kick, which eventually dropped to Luke Coulson who, with just the one touch, sent a beautiful strike into the bottom corner (66)!

The visitors responded by throwing on Chris Lines to replace Dan Hayfield (67) and, within minutes, they’d pulled a goal back. Seemingly against the run of play, the hosts got caught out at the back, and Ewan Clark found the back of the net (72)!

Scott Wilson then replaced Luke Russe (72) and subsequently scored the equaliser three minutes later after good work by Cody Cooke!

As the game had literally exploded into life within a couple of minutes, a routine victory for the hosts had turned into a “winner takes all” battle. And, Wilson was the player to come close once again with a great strike which forced Beeney to tip the ball around his post in the 80th minute.

Four minutes later saw the hosts edge in front again with another goal for Luke Coulson, after the Skipper had managed to get on the end of Luke Allen’s terrific cross (84).

Dartford were unlucky not to have wrapped up the points in the 89th minute, when Brandon Barzey saw his effort excellently saved by Ollie Wright, and the rebound just wouldn’t go over the line.

As the game entered an additional ten minutes, several things took place. Firstly, Alan Dowson made his first change in personnel with Joe Rabbetts coming on for Brandon Barzey (90+). That would soon be followed by Charlie Sheringham and Lewis Manor replacing Luke Allen and Harvey Bradbury respectively.

Jack Batten received his second yellow card of the afternoon, which was obviously followed by a red card and his marching orders. However, despite being a man down, The Romans didn’t give up and were rewarded for their efforts with five additional minutes remaining. Jordan Thomas got the equaliser with a delightful left-footed screamer, which left Beeney with no chance (90+5).

It was a breathless end to an excellent game of football. And, while the result wasn’t what Luke Coulson and Co would have wanted, many positives can be taken from this opening game of the season. Football is back, and it’s back in style!

TEAMS

DARTFORD: Mitchell Beeney, Jordan Wynter, Sam Odaudu, Tommy Block, Tyrell Miller-Rodney, Baris Altintop, Luke Coulson (c), Luke Allen, Brandon Barzey, Joash Nembhard, Harvey Bradbury.

SUBSTITUTES: Lewis Manor, Tom Wray, Joe Rabbetts, Charlie Sheringham, Olly Box.

BATH CITY: Ollie Wright, Danny Greenslade, Jack Batten, Kieran Parselle (c), Dan Hayfield, Cody Cooke, Tom Smith, Ewan Clark, Jordan Thomas, Luke Russe, Ben Morgan.

SUBSTITUTES: Elliott Frear, Chris Lines, Jacob Cook, Scott Wilson.

By Chris Palmer
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Thoroughly enjoyed the commentary, thanks to Rick for uploading the link too. It does seem from afar that it was a case of 2 points dropped. Given the mad 5 minutes for their 2 goals and the fact their final equaliser came with them down to 10 men, and might well have deserved to have been down to 9 men, was a kick up the backside.

However, there seemed so many positives going forward with our general play and Will commented that the Darts played some of their best football under Dowse, so things are promising on a first day of the season. And Dowse will sort out that defence!

Just a pity that we couldn't hold the lead, as that would have seen us up in 2nd spot.

COYD
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Does anyone know the 50/50 result?
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

I think it was 00497 mate
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Park Life wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:29 pm Attendance 904, better than I thought 😀😀
Considering holidays weather and train strikes the crowd only 18 less than last seasons first game.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Let's start with the positives, Barzey and Coulson were phenomenal and it is exciting to have a real talented threat on both sides of the pitch. Coulson started slowly last season but came on strong in the latter half and today he was absolutely outstanding. Barzey was running rings round Bath all afternoon, a fact that didn't go unnoticed by the visitors as they set about taking it in turns to kick him and ultimately, slam him into the wall. I was disappointed with Bath's tactics, they're normally a decent footballing side but today I thought they were a bit thuggish at times and we could have done with stronger officials. Given that we have consistently beaten them home and away for several years, they may well feel this neanderthal approach has paid dividends, helping them to steal the point. Time will tell.

Having said that, Bath didn't really do much to earn the point, rather we just threw it to them. At 2-0 the game was well and truly won until Sam made an uncharacteristic howler gifting them their first goal. For a short while, this sparked our visitors interest in kicking the ball instead of Barzey and a second foray into our box prompted another error at the back and resulted in the equaliser. Given the balance of play, 2-2 was an utterly ridiculous scoreline as Bath had hardly threatened at all in the second half and yet somehow we had done the job for them. Thankfully, Barzey and Coulson were still causing mayhem and we soon found ourselves deservedly back in front 3-2. Barzey was understandably subbed at this point, just after he was shoved into the wall and presumably to avoid Bath doing him any real damage. It shouldn't have mattered as we should surely have been able to see the game out from that point, but apparently not.

The front half of the team deserve a lot of credit today but defensively we fell apart in the second half and I also felt Beeney might have done better with 2 of the goals. When we lost 5-0 to Gillingham, Dowse was correct when he said that in many ways, we were better than the scoreline suggested and the margin of defeat was down to individual errors. Well from the friendlies I saw, we were making individual errors on a fairly regular basis and it continued to be the case today. There are positives to be taken from today and going forward we were actually quite exciting at times, but although there are some decent players there, Dowse has a fair bit of work to do in getting that defence organised. Wilkes, Bonner & Essam are a hard act to follow.

3-3 was an absolute travesty and it felt like a defeat, but Barzey and Coulson did enough to give me hope. I wish I could vote MOTM for both, but I guess Luke's goals have to tip the balance his way today.
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

Sorry they are late buy here are goals from yesterday.

Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Well done Kev, appreciate the videos.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Park Life

Post by Park Life »

"We got bullied by the number 9"

Six/seven bookings and a red card?? god help everyone when they don't get bullied :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: