Striker Lewis Manor says he couldn’t turn down a club of Dartford’s size 14/07/2023

rick
Site Admin

Striker Lewis Manor says he couldn’t turn down a club of Dartford’s size 14/07/2023

Post by rick »

I know this article is mentioned in "Player News", but I'm keeping this with the other media articles.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... wn-289925/

Striker Lewis Manor says he couldn’t turn down a club of Dartford’s size after moving to Princes Park

New striker Lewis Manor insisted he could never turn down a club of Dartford’s stature.

The 31-year-old has made the switch from relegated Concord Rangers and netted on his first outing in a Darts shirt during last Saturday’s 2-1 friendly loss to Charlton.

Manor enjoyed playing in front of a crowd of 2,804 at Princes Park and can’t wait for the season to get started.

“I probably could have gone somewhere for more money and more gametime but, for me, you don’t turn Dartford down,” said Manor.

“They came calling, I met Alan Dowson and five minutes later the deal was done. Coming here is a big, big club. I’m over the moon to be here and I really want to prove myself here.

“I’m 31, 32 next month, and people might see that as being over the hill. But me and one of my best friends have got a little saying that football starts at 30 and that’s literally the way I feel. I still feel young and as though I’ve got a lot to offer. I’m looking to try and kick on.

“Sometimes you can (almost) get lost down in the lower leagues but through my career I’ve played with strikers who have scored more goals than me, maybe because they’ve played off me. Later on in my career I’ve found a bit of a killer instinct in front of goal and that’s carried me up the leagues. I’m going to keep working hard and see what I can do here.”

Manor nearly helped Concord produce a great escape last season but he’s looking forward to challenging at the right end of National League South this time around – even if there’s plenty of competition for a striking berth in Dartford’s squad.

“I’m no idiot,” said Manor. “Alex Wall is a fantastic player, Harvey Bradbury is brilliant and Charlie Sheringham has been around this level for a long time.

“I’m going to have my work cut out but as long as the club’s winning and whatever it is I can do to help, that’s good enough for me.

“There’s not many times in my career that I’ve played in front of nearly 3,000 people so the experience against Charlton was brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

“Coming in the nucleus of the boys that were here have been brilliant, the management staff have been brilliant to me. It feels like home from home really, Dowse was quite transparent in the way he wants to play and it suits me.

“Last season I was at the wrong end of the table, I missed a bulk of it through injury but we nearly did it. This is a different aspect and something I want to be around. I want to be here and do well for Dartford, I think this is the right club for me.”
--ends--