Player news

Moderator: Gary C

Spike

Re: Player news

Post by Spike »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:56 pm At present we only have 1 experienced keeper in Mitchell with young Tom Wray as his back up. I’m not sure just how much competition Tom will be for Mitchell though to really push him as I don’t think he’s had that much 1st team football apart from may be a loan spell at a lower level.
I don't think it's realistic to have two top quality goalkeepers at this level Matt. As soon as Ben arrived last season we knew that Wilksy's days were numbered as you're never going to keep them both happy. In any case, it's rare for keepers to get injured and in my opinion it's a waste of budget having at least one of two top end players wasted every game. I don't know much about Beeney, but his dad was a good keeper and I'm trusting in Dowse's judgement. Tom is the ideal sub because he's decent cover and it also gives him a chance to break through.

Hand on heart though, I'm still inclined to think Billericay might have got the best deal.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

At the moment the goalkeeping situation isn't a problem and young Whitfield is definitely one for the future.
To me the squad is looking a tad flakey on all fronts. We have retained only 2/3 players worth their salt from last season and signed two players from Havant, a team that fell apart towards the end of last season. Plus two lads from a relegated side.
Now I'm not saying this is all a bad thing. But now we definitely need two central defenders, hopefully with some experience to bolster things at the back and they are getting rarer than hen's teeth.
I hope Dowse has something up his sleeve other than a nice tan as for me we could be struggling.
Skip

Post by Skip »

ozymandias wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:21 am I hope Dowse has something up his sleeve other than a nice tan as for me we could be struggling.
That made me chuckle on a Sunday morning, Ozy. Let’s hope I’m still laughing at the end of the season!
Skip (now residing in Suffolk)
KentC

Post by KentC »

Skip wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:29 am
ozymandias wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:21 am I hope Dowse has something up his sleeve other than a nice tan as for me we could be struggling.
That made me chuckle on a Sunday morning, Ozy. Let’s hope I’m still laughing at the end of the season!

I think that’s really important, it’s natural to be slightly concerned but we’ve got to trust Dowse.
Regarding Tom B I’d imagine this wasn’t sprung on him and he had an inkling so hopefully he’s been setting up a few things for worst case scenario, what it is.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

After a few weeks away, come back to Tom’s retirement, which I wish him well with.
Just listened to Dowse interview and getting a little concerned that we as a club are slipping a bit behind in the money stakes and it’s going to be hard to be at the top end of this division soon let alone be in the league above,
Then again at the start of last season I was convinced that we would not finish top half so just goes to show how much I know
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

JCJ wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:33 pm After a few weeks away, come back to Tom’s retirement, which I wish him well with.
Just listened to Dowse interview and getting a little concerned that we as a club are slipping a bit behind in the money stakes and it’s going to be hard to be at the top end of this division soon let alone be in the league above,
Then again at the start of last season I was convinced that we would not finish top half so just goes to show how much I know
I think the budget is relevant thing. Dowse doesn’t moan about it, but he mentions it quite regularly so it must be an issue. Dowse said in his interview this week something like we’ll finish above most of the clubs with bigger budgets. Whether that happens or not, there must be clubs with smaller gates than ours, and fewer facilities than we have to hire out, who have bigger budgets. Not sure why that is.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Yes there will be clubs with bigger budgets for a variety of reasons. Sugar daddies who, when they leave, will leave the club in a weakened position. Clubs chasing the dream and living way beyond their means - look at Yeovil, a Championship side not so long ago, now in NLS and staying full time with a new owner. They have just signed a player from Taunton and he has gone full time on £1,100 a week - at Taunton he was part- time on £300. How will Yeovil be able to sustain this if they don't go up? Eastbourne also full time now, Havant were full time last year and didn't make the play offs. These business models are unsustainable unless promotion and big cup runs are forthcoming....

II'd rather have a prudent board that budgets within its means and a clubs for the long term
DartfordHero

Post by DartfordHero »

I agree with what has been said above. I certainly think we as a club could be looking at a very different position than in previous years. With several teams all with a seemingly limitless budget all gunning for the league this year, we may just have to change our own expectations and face the facts that our budget just wont/cant compete. We may very well get some very good players in either on loan or due to them leaving it too late for a big spender but having seen the signings already, the departures and now the comments from Dowse... I think this may be a long season of watching these big hitters battle it between themselves
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I dont get all this about the big hitters chasing promotion and us as mid table cause we dont have a big budget . IF Dowse can get the team spirit/attitude/togetherness that Tony Burman achieved with players he had [ hardly big hitters] but great attitude with a real will to win , who cares about how much the opposition cost , they still have to weld into a very good TEAM and we just need our guys to show loads of guts and give 100% and that will do for me !!!

Looking forward to the new season and being underdogs [tic] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

The Duke wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:49 am I dont get all this about the big hitters chasing promotion and us as mid table cause we dont have a big budget . IF Dowse can get the team spirit/attitude/togetherness that Tony Burman achieved with players he had [ hardly big hitters] but great attitude with a real will to win , who cares about how much the opposition cost , they still have to weld into a very good TEAM and we just need our guys to show loads of guts and give 100% and that will do for me !!!

Looking forward to the new season and being underdogs [tic] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't agree more with your post Duke. COYD
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

The National League at North & South level gets stronger every season as more investment flows into the game.
For those who believe we would struggle in the Prem within our existing structure, the same will eventually apply to our position in the South.
It's a bit like Dartford itself really, going from a market town to a commuter belt, pricing the locals out of the housing market.
With ever increasing budgets DFC can't afford to wing it much longer. The National South will cease to become our comfort zone.
A regular top 4 finish in the Isthmian Premiere will
be the best we can hope for if we allow our competitors to leave us behind.
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

Taunton Dart wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:12 am Yes there will be clubs with bigger budgets for a variety of reasons. Sugar daddies who, when they leave, will leave the club in a weakened position. Clubs chasing the dream and living way beyond their means - look at Yeovil, a Championship side not so long ago, now in NLS and staying full time with a new owner. They have just signed a player from Taunton and he has gone full time on £1,100 a week - at Taunton he was part- time on £300. How will Yeovil be able to sustain this if they don't go up? Eastbourne also full time now, Havant were full time last year and didn't make the play offs. These business models are unsustainable unless promotion and big cup runs are forthcoming....

II'd rather have a prudent board that budgets within its means and a clubs for the long term
Comparing us with Yeovil is apples v pears. Talking budgets I’d rather compare us with the teams who’ve been down with us for years. Don’t think too many have our facilities. But, of course, we can only live within our means. But other comparable clubs appear to have more ‘means’ than we have. Not sure why that is.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Dicky Dart wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:04 pm
Taunton Dart wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:12 am Yes there will be clubs with bigger budgets for a variety of reasons. Sugar daddies who, when they leave, will leave the club in a weakened position. Clubs chasing the dream and living way beyond their means - look at Yeovil, a Championship side not so long ago, now in NLS and staying full time with a new owner. They have just signed a player from Taunton and he has gone full time on £1,100 a week - at Taunton he was part- time on £300. How will Yeovil be able to sustain this if they don't go up? Eastbourne also full time now, Havant were full time last year and didn't make the play offs. These business models are unsustainable unless promotion and big cup runs are forthcoming....

Comparing us with Yeovil is apples v pears. Talking budgets I’d rather compare us with the teams who’ve been down with us for years. Don’t think too many have our facilities. But, of course, we can only live within our means. But other comparable clubs appear to have more ‘means’ than we have. Not sure why that is.
Not sure you are right there DD. For many decades Yeovil were playing at the same level as the Darts in the same division of the Southern League. For me, everything goes in cycles, whatever the event, and Yeovil are one of a number of clubs who have had the good fortune to move up the divisions into the Football League, but then start to fall back towards the non league scene as they can't maintain the momentum. Barnet, Dagenham, Kidderminster, Hereford, Maidstone, Macclesfield all spring to mind. Then there are all those established League clubs who have more recently struggled to maintain their league status and slipped into the non league scene, mainly sue to financial pressures.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Let's hope no news is not worrying.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

I see Tonbridge signed Kodi Lyons Foster a central defender, I wonder if this was the guy Dowse mentioned in his interview about agreeing to come to us but was offered more money, if it is I really worry we not even competing with the likes of Tonbridge, I mean no disrespect to Tonbridge with that remark.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

JCJ wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:56 pm I see Tonbridge signed Kodi Lyons Foster a central defender, I wonder if this was the guy Dowse mentioned in his interview about agreeing to come to us but was offered more money, if it is I really worry we not even competing with the likes of Tonbridge, I mean no disrespect to Tonbridge with that remark.
I thought that was a reference to a player Welling signed as it was announced by them shortly before Dowse's interview went live so the timing would've been about right.

As we know Welling splashed the cash last season without success. Who knows what they'll be like this season.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

Mark Sweet wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:28 pm
JCJ wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:56 pm I see Tonbridge signed Kodi Lyons Foster a central defender, I wonder if this was the guy Dowse mentioned in his interview about agreeing to come to us but was offered more money, if it is I really worry we not even competing with the likes of Tonbridge, I mean no disrespect to Tonbridge with that remark.
I thought that was a reference to a player Welling signed as it was announced by them shortly before Dowse's interview went live so the timing would've been about right.

As we know Welling splashed the cash last season without success. Who knows what they'll be like this season.
Ok I thought Dowse mentioned it being a central defender not sure we need another midfielder, but anyway maybe I misunderstood Dowse sorry just frustrated that we don’t seem able to live financially with clubs who in my opinion are not as big as Dartford,

My understanding of Welling is they have a greatly reduced budget this year but they do have a manager who does seem to get the best out of players,
Then again so do we hopefully another season where we are challenging and just maybe we might get it over the line this season.

My worry is centr defender or defenders this season
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

He is a left back / left wing back , that was loaned out to Bognor last season and Totton before that.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

From: https://www.dorkingwanderers.com/post/l ... e-rabbetts

Dorking Wanderers can today confirm that left wing-back Joe Rabbetts has joined National League South side Dartford FC on loan until January 1st.

Joe, 20, signed for Wanderers from Aldershot Town last June, featuring in pre-season and netting a debut goal against Roffey FC, before heading out on loan to join Isthmian Premier Division side Bognor Regis Town. Despite being ruled out of action for a couple of months with a broken foot in the first half of the campaign, Joe went on to make 42 appearances for The Rocks and enjoyed a season of many individual highlights; winning numerous 'Man of The Match' awards, being named the club's 'Player of The Month' on three occasions and netting 'Goal of The Season' for his strike away to Carshalton Athletic. Joe's last game for Bognor was the Sussex Senior Cup Final played at The Amex stadium against Worthing, where The Rocks were defeated on penalties after a 0-0 draw at the end of 90 minutes.

Moving to a Dartford side who will no doubt be pushing for promotion to the National League again this term after reaching the play-off's in 22/23 under the guidance of Alan Dowson, we wish Joe all the best for the new campaign.