New Manager.

Moderator: Gary C

KentC

Re: New Manager.

Post by KentC »

Top Cat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 pm
Jonty wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:25 pm Ultimately, it is what Ade does at Dartford that counts for me.
Exactly! 👍

KC mentions a “mixed bag of experience “and MS
Hopes we get the “Barrow version instead of the Gillingham version”
Basically any manager can have a mixed bag of achievements ( even Dowse had his successes) Tony took us to the NL and 8th place finish , but there were still those who weren’t happy , and the same will apply to Ade Pennock . If he somehow manages to keep this team up then he would have already performed a minor miracle?

I also said several times let’s support him including in my first sentence.
I also said he needs time.
I also said I’ll be applauding him.
I also said welcome.
Ozytalksbull

Post by Ozytalksbull »

Absolutely perfect appointment, very hardworking and my old gravesend and northfleet pals rate him very highly
I personally think it’s a very good decision by the board to give him a chance
Good luck Mr pennock , I think Dartford fans will see a marked improvement on and off the field now
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

You were positive towards Dowson a lot longer than most, really Mark???
Says it all really, doesn't it.
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

KentC wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:39 pm
Top Cat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 pm
Jonty wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:25 pm Ultimately, it is what Ade does at Dartford that counts for me.
Exactly! 👍

KC mentions a “mixed bag of experience “and MS
Hopes we get the “Barrow version instead of the Gillingham version”
Basically any manager can have a mixed bag of achievements ( even Dowse had his successes) Tony took us to the NL and 8th place finish , but there were still those who weren’t happy , and the same will apply to Ade Pennock . If he somehow manages to keep this team up then he would have already performed a minor miracle?

I also said several times let’s support him including in my first sentence.
I also said he needs time.
I also said I’ll be applauding him.
I also said welcome.
Absolutely 👍
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

Makes me laugh and sigh in equal measure when someone has a point of view that is different to everyone else and they get ganged up on and told they’re not fans. Dear me. Bullies rule, eh?

Anyway, can’t say I’m doing cartwheels at the appointment. And, yes, I know I’m supposed to say Ade Pennock is brilliant, blah, blah, blah. Let’s wait and see. We needed a manager. Let’s hope it works out. I think it’s valid to ask why it took the time it did to appoint a bloke who was available - that’s not being negative. Most fans thought Dowson was a good appointment, so if you think Pennock isn’t then he might surprise you.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Not sure why we’re ’beating up’ Mark Sweet. I don’t agree with his views all the time, but I kinda enjoy his honest opinions. Like me, another castigated by a few on here for negativity, he says it how he sees it. But I get it, anything that goes against ‘popular opinion’ is unwelcome opinion that is not valid. It’s a forum folks. 🤦

So, I’m, too a bit ‘meh’ about this appointment - but, admittedly, mostly out of ignorance. Just being honest as always. What concerns me is what his current contacts are in the recruitment and retention of a cohesive TEAM going forward.

Anyway, I’m all for giving everyone a chance. The Board, who I do have confidence in, have clearly thought it through (they can’t afford to get it wrong again) so, I say, bring it the f*ck on!

If he keeps us up, he’s half way to DFC folklore already! If we go down, ain’t his fault, BUT, we need to come the f*ck back up toot sweet. So to say.

A new chapter ahead. Personally, I’m kinda semi-prepared for a season in the Isthmian and I see his job to get us out of it. Ideally, at the top end!
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Welcome aboard Ady. Your mission: 12 points from eleven games.
Very best of luck mate.
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Sounds like he has all the pedigree we could ask for. I know people are angry at the board (myself included) for allowing Douse to stay on so long, but they are trying to move forward slowly, we need all the support we can get.

People can voice their opinions on here even if it goes against the grain, it would be bloody boring if we all shared the same opinion. Unless they are a troll aka UTDs then let them have their say, and offer a counter argument if you don't agree and feel inclined, or just scroll on bye.

I'm sure he is capable of managing at this level as he has similar experience. Even though he has been abroad in recent times, perhaps that is why the appointment took longer than we would have hoped?!
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

I don't think anyone is 'beating up ' on Mark. But he is Mr Negative on almost everything. He was negative about Dowse ( as we're we all). He is negative with the Board, he is negative with Tony and now he is negative with the new manager. He's not even in the door yet.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Lars Resort wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:49 am I don't think anyone is 'beating up ' on Mark. But he is Mr Negative on almost everything. He was negative about Dowse ( as we're we all). He is negative with the Board, he is negative with Tony and now he is negative with the new manager. He's not even in the door yet.
I wasnt negative about Dowse for the main part I welcomed his appointment and supported him far longer than a lot did on here.

Towards the end of his Reign who wasn't negative towards him? He'd lost the fans

Again, I've backed the board and credited them where due however this season they have made significant errors and thats reflected in our current position.

Yes I was negative towards Tony as there was no improvement in results, however him being in charge for that long wasnt down to him.

I'm entitled to my opinion as everyone else is.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Lars Resort wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:49 am I don't think anyone is 'beating up ' on Mark. But he is Mr Negative on almost everything. He was negative about Dowse ( as we're we all). He is negative with the Board, he is negative with Tony and now he is negative with the new manager. He's not even in the door yet.
Hmmm. As I was the one who used the term, I’ll respond. Depends on your own definition of ‘beating-up.’ But it’s very evident I'm afraid. AND there has been a helluva lot to be negative about. Even the ‘rose-tinteds’ and stalwarts have sounded negative vibes. A lot that Mark Sweet has said has actuary been quite true. Some unnecessarily repeated maybe. Sadly, we don’t like to read such comments as it’s ’our’ club and it irks some and creates a belief, in others, of being anti DFC when it’s actually just the opposite. Frustrated passion. I’ve been sodding well angry at PP BEFORE kick-off way too many times in the last 16 months or so.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. As DA alluded to, a good run of draws should do the job. I think less than 50 might just work this season. Fingers crossed.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Ah, and I do agree with you in parts SD. There is the crux of the matter. Where Mark is going wrong and getting up everyone's noses is, as you state, he repeats the obvious time and again.
He's like a scratched record at different parts of the song. Dowse, Board, Tony and now Ady..
A lot of people probably are thinking ' here we go again '.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

You said it yourself.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Hopefully, Pennock will get in a few players as with the present squad and with the injuries we have those 12 points are going to be difficult to get.
KentC

Post by KentC »

Mark

I think the issue is sometimes you’re quick to post, even during games and that can be seen as frustrating when we should be supporting the team on the pitch and actually wait to se how the games pans out, amd now quickly after the announcement. It does feel negative.
You’re perfectly entitled to say whatever you like and I don’t believe you’re less of a fan because of any of this.
The criticism from a very small area is not fair in my opinion but we are at a time where we really need to stick together, I’m not saying your opinions are wrong, they’re subjective anyway, and I don’t disagree with a lot you say.
But imo for what it’s worth there must be some positivity and trust particularly with the new manager who has not started yet.

Then again, who am I to say.
Kermo18

Post by Kermo18 »

I don’t think it would be unfair to assume Pennock wasn’t the first choice for the job. It was very apparent on Tuesday night who the rumoured favourite was and for whatever reason this fell through and the club had to move on.
I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel a sense of disappoint with the appointment, but he’s got the job now and needs everyone’s backing.
It’s a shame he’s had to wait 7 weeks to get the role, as the previous time could have given him a lot longer to shape his own squad.
He needs to hit the ground running and get some points on the board, which will be no easy task with the opponents we have and the state of the squad he has inherited.
Unfair to judge him on the next 2-3 games but unfortunately for him he hasn’t got time for a bedding in period.
Praying he gets enough points on the board and then this season can be put to bed. Whatever happens come the end, it’s evident that some changes may need implementing over the summer as the decision making this season has been well below the ambition required for a club such as Dartford.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

I'm staying neutral on the appointment of the new manager at the moment. Neither happy nor unhappy.
Maybe because things are sounding not too dissimilar to the situation regarding Hakan Hayrettin's appointment at Dulwich last season.
A successful manager who came in probably a little bit too late to keep them up but is now doing a reasonably good job in what has become a very competitive and tough Isthmian League Premier division.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

A warm welcome to Ade who has a wealth of experience and managed at all levels so hopefully will have some good contacts to bring in a few players to turn the season around. If we can also have a drop of "new manager bounce" thrown in as well that would be great.

It's a crucial time for ALL of us but the support at recent games has been good so if we continue to get behind Ade and the players and do our bit, it might make the difference.

COYD
Spike

Post by Spike »

Lennylenny wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:26 pm I’m not a mark sweet lover as he didn’t believe what I said about Dowse, but he’s the only one prepared to tell the truth all the time. You don’t sack a manager who has been crap for ages, put into place the person who employed him, who turns out crap and rejoice at the crap scrabbling around for someone to take on a squad that the crap who appointed him couldn’t get anything out of
No disrespect Lenny, but you are confusing telling the truth with having an opinion that matches your own. Facts can be true but opinion is subjective. The only "truth" involved would be that you have truthfully stated your own opinion, if indeed you have. Your opinion inexplicably changes like the wind, swinging wildly from one extreme to the other, such that I'm never really sure whether you ARE truthfully giving your own opinion as your comments are often contradictory. Mark Sweet on the other hand was for a long time, generally very positive, and yet for some reason seems to have become very critical in recent weeks and whilst I don't fully understand why, he is at least consistent.

As far as I can see, our club has invited applicants, selected the best ones, interviewed them and appointed Adrian Pennock. It all seems very reasonable to me. They have undoubtedly done what they believe to be in the club's best interests, only time will tell if it was a good decision. It's taken a few weeks because there were quite a lot of applications and they wanted to make the right decision. If they had acted quickly then people would have been whinging about panicking and not doing proper research. All I would ask is that people at least give the new man a chance and stop all this unwarranted negativity before a ball has even been kicked. We really could do with all getting behind the new man to help him drag us out of this mess that Dowson created.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Dicky Dart wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:52 pm Makes me laugh and sigh in equal measure when someone has a point of view that is different to everyone else and they get ganged up on and told they’re not fans. Dear me. Bullies rule, eh?
Oh no, not this old chestnut again. Usually it takes the form of saying "oh you can't say anything on here without being shot down" or comments about the "forum police" ... When are people going to grasp the concept that you can (within reason) post whatever you want, but others are not obliged to agree with everything you say and are perfectly entitled to say so if they think you are talking nonsense. By your own words Dicky, "a point of view that is different to everyone else" is inevitably going to be disagreed with by everyone else! How could it not be?

That said, being overwhelmingly disagreed with doesn't necessarily make you wrong, it is just an indication that you are in the minority. Well so what? If you think you are right then stand your ground and argue your case. If you are going to be critical of others (manager, club, board, etc) that's fine, but don't wimp out if you get a bit of flack come back your way from people with other views. If it so happens that 99% of people disagree with you, that is not "ganging up", that is just life! To call this "bullying" is pathetic in my opinion.
Last edited by Spike on Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.