Address:
Winterstoke Road
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
BS24 9AA

Tel: 01934 621 618

Twitter: https://twitter.com/WSM_AFCOfficial
Facebook: https://twitter.com/WestonSMareFC
Forum: https://westonsupermarefc.freeforums.net/ (not active)

National League TV: https://www.nationalleaguetv.com/schedule
(link doesn't go live until 30 mins before kick off)

weston-060124.jpg

Directions:
Leave the M5 at Junction 21 and take the A370 towards Weston town centre. Continue across three roundabouts and at the 4th (where there is a McDonalds) turn left into Winterstoke Road. Go straight across the mini roundabout, over a railway bridge and you will see the ground on your right hand side.

They have a fair sized car park at the stadium however there are a limited amount of match day parking for Blue Badge holders these spaces must be booked in advance. If you are travelling by coach/mini bus please contact ahead of time to enquire about reserving a space.

Weston-super-Mare railway station station is situated around a mile and a half away from the stadium, which is a 25-30 minute walk away. It is served by trains from Bristol Temple Meads.

As you come out of the station entrance turn right and then follow the station approach road around to the left. At the bottom of this road you will reach a T-junction where you turn left. You will then reach another T-junction with the A370 dual carriageway, where you turn right. Continue along the A370 passing by two roundabouts and an Asda store on your left. At the third roundabout that you reach (with a McDonalds outlet on one side) take the third exit onto Winterstoke Road (signposted Weston Industrial Estate). The stadium is further down this road on the right.

Admission: https://www.westonsmareafc.co.uk/ticket-info/

Referee: Harry Wager
Assistant Referee: Ryan Cornelius
Assistant Referee: Mark King
Hitchin Dart79

Re: Weston-super-Mare v Dartford Sat 6 Jan 2024

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Starting with this game and the rest of the season can we see some of our young players introduced as they can’t do any worse and at least will give their all for 90mins! We are not going down and cannot entertain going up so perfect time to use our youngsters who from what I can gather are pretty useful!
Spike

Post by Spike »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:54 am Starting with this game and the rest of the season can we see some of our young players introduced as they can’t do any worse and at least will give their all for 90mins! We are not going down and cannot entertain going up so perfect time to use our youngsters who from what I can gather are pretty useful!
I understand the sentiment but I think we COULD actually do a lot worse if we played 3 or 4 all at once. We've got a few very promising youngsters in the academy but I think it would be detrimental to their development if we brought them into this struggling environment. For one thing, I doubt they'd be played in their best position and even if they were, in my opinion the best way to learn is to be introduced one at a time so they can be helped by the more senior players. Too many at once and you could just ruin them.

Anyway, who else is coming to Weston?
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Looks like roughly one point per game will guarantee safety (ooh the dizzy, ambitious heights), so another 12/13 points ought to do. To that end, it should be safe enough to blood some youngsters in the second half of the season. Normally, I would be saying we must play our strongest team every game - even from our current position of mediocrity - but inconsistency has been king and our league record (P25; W9; D6; L10; GD0) is so uninspiring that the only way we will find ourselves in the playoffs is if all teams currently occupying the top 6 (apart from the leaders) go to pieces like last season. Not impossible, but unlikely.

I will be at WSM. Spike’s right, we could be doing worse because there are ten teams below us. And that’s pretty much the best accolade that can be bestowed upon us this season.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:54 am Starting with this game and the rest of the season can we see some of our young players introduced as they can’t do any worse and at least will give their all for 90mins! We are not going down and cannot entertain going up so perfect time to use our youngsters who from what I can gather are pretty useful!
To suggest we aren't going down is very dangerous. By no means are we safe

We aren't exactly playing well or getting good results, teams below us have games in hand and we have 4 difficult away ganes all in a row coming up. Things could look very very worrying in a month's time, especially as one or a few of the teams in the relegation zone will inevitably go on a run. Havant seemed to have started one and Eastbourne will have a new manager, likely King, to try and get themselves on one
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Absolutely agree with Mark Sweet on this one. Staying up is most certainly not a foregone conclusion.
I've probably put the mockers on it too by dropping Havant & Waterlooville in favour of AFC Totton from the Fantasy Non-League competition the other day.
Then they go and win 4-2 away to blimming Farnborough on New Year's Day.
Could this herald the turning point in their season?
Just because we're not in the relegation zone there's still plenty of points to play for, for those who are.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

We have very tough away games and our home form isn't anything to shout about, so as I see it we could very easily be dragged down into the murky depths of a relegation battle.
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

We won’t go down from this league this year and frankly not sure why I would trust the players who have got us in this position more than a few younger players who live and breathe Dartford football club! The youngsters haven’t been played and brought through when we have been doing well , and now we are doing shite we won’t play them either???….when is the right time I wonder then and maybe by not playing them we are helping the malaise around PP?? Something surely has to change in 2024 if not the management(which appears won’t happen)?!? Maybe more importantly At least if you lose with a few youngsters it would give the management a different excuse to use in their post match interview so that’s a plus!!!
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Am I happy with the performances of the team - not really. Could we do better? Yes. Could we do a lot worse? Of course we can.
Am I happy with the squad? A bit of a curate's egg - very good or good in places, but short of creative players and a 20+ goals a season striker or two. George of course looks promising and indeed fits that category but he needs the service.
Am I happy with the management team - well not entirely, but could we do better at this point in the season? I would rather not risk it.
Budget does not always buy a good team either - e.g. Eastbourne.

Sadly, I am resigned to toughing out the season with what we have and if Dowse can attract the quality players we need in the next couple of weeks that will improve the mood. As for Dowse (unpopular with the majority on here), I would stick with him until the end of the season and the run-in will show his determination for success for the club next season (whether he is still here or not). I would rather have a crack at promotion with a highly motivated, quality squad, playing decent football and scoring for fun - rather than just tipping into the play offs with an average squad and (if somehow promoted) getting thrashed every week because we have to go for a serious rebuild again.

In the meantime, I will continue to back every player that pulls on the black and white wherever they are in the professional scale - I can't say there is a single player in the squad without good intent and all deserve our support.

COYD
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Have we progressed or gone backwards this season? Dowse clearly stated the problem last season was that it wasn't his squad and judge him this season. Now he is doing worse than last year it is nothing to do with him but the'small ' budget he has. Funny now he is doing badly there is a different reason. What will the next excuse to appear?
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Good luck to all that travel, will be hoping for a but of luck, as we bloody need it.

Noticed on current form there's not much between us, Dartford/Weston - 18/19th place. Welling are rock bottom in the last 5 games with 2 points, one of which they got off us. :cry:

UTD's
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

Hopefully we can get a much needed win tomorrow,

Disappointed in losing Chin (does anyone know how bad the injury is, as it was said he will return when fit)

Also getting a bit dejected that we don't seem to be signing anyone other clubs seem to be doing in this league but we are lagging behind.

A run of away games could really see us in a fight to stay in this league
Johndfc2

Post by Johndfc2 »

Not sure it’s looking good for tomorrow. As I understand there’s a 0930 pitch inspection in the morning and the town is still under a flood alert warning
Grassbank

Post by Grassbank »

I assume that the pitch has already been deemed suitable if played upon today and any inspection tomorrow will only determine if matters have become worse overnight. If that is not the case, one has to wonder why.

Good luck to anybody who ventues deep down into the south west tomorrow.
Saladfingers

Post by Saladfingers »

Spoke to their club today and they were confident the game would go ahead as no further rain is predicted so fingers crossed we can get a result cause we certainly need one.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Just got back to Dartford from Salisbury for dinner and a sleep before heading back west. All the traffic in the south is in Wilmington and Crayford - avoid Leyton Cross Road as all the temporary lights are stuck on red and it’s carnage.
Hope the game goes ahead tomorrow, feels like a while since the last away beano. I hope the departure of both Chin and Woods doesn’t knock us too much, will be a real toughie over there.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Matty Macarthur is a 19-year-old, Australian, midfield player who signed his first professional contract for Gillingham last summer. He has since made three first-team appearances, all of which coming in the EFL Trophy. He has made several `B` team appearances and played against Maidstone in the second round of the Kent Senior Cup in October. Judging by the comments on social media, the Gills fans rate him quite highly and we are lucky to have him. Hopefully the game will be on tomorrow and we'll get a chance to see him play before he is replaced with the next one.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Seems to me that Dowse is grasping at straws.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Weston-super-Mare AFC Twiiter

We can confirm that today's Vanarama National League South match with Dartford FC is ON ✅

We look forward to seeing all of our supporters at The Optima Stadium this afternoon 🤝
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Transport all sorted for today but been rough all week and feel the same this morning so just cancelled and now won't be going :( :(
First game I've missed this season but I don't feel that bothered about missing the game as i have in previous seasons......
Will try and find social media coverage to provide forum updates.