Paul Rooney can be one of the best - 24/10/23

Park Life

Paul Rooney can be one of the best - 24/10/23

Post by Park Life »

"Rooney can be one of the best"

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... st-295641/

Dartford midfielder Paul Rooney can be one of the best midfielders in National League South says manager Alan Dowson.

Dartford boss Alan Dowson believes Paul Rooney can be one of the best midfielders in National League South.

The 26-year-old summer signing enjoyed his best game in a Dartford shirt on Saturday, in a 2-0 win against his former club Havant.

No doubt fired up to play against the team he left in the close season, Rooney was a driving force in Dartford’s midfield and produced exactly the performance he was signed for.

It’s been a tough start to life at Princes Park for Rooney, who saw red in the pre-season friendly with Charlton.

“It was his best performance by a long way,” stated Dowson. “He’s one of the better-paid players here and I want more out of him.

“I always think if he gets cracking then he’s a very good player but we’ve only seen it in little bits so far and not enough.

“I think he can be one of the best midfielders in the league if he shows up, and he showed really good signs today.

“He’s good on the ball, he can go long or short, and he can win balls in the air. I think he’s a good player but we need to see it more.

“At the start of the season, he was getting sent off and things like that but I thought Rooney did ever so well.”

Rooney has also had to adjust to playing part-time football for the first time in his career.

He’s got a job with Esher Scaffolding, who are one of the club’s sponsors.

“It's a good point,” added Dowson. “Now he’s got to play football and have a job. If you’re down at Havant and you don’t need a job then it must be a bit more luxury.

“I got him a job with my mate, and I think he appreciates it. I’ve told him he’s got to give us a little bit more. Adjusting can be a little bit different, working in scaffolding he’s got to get up at six o’clock in the morning, as a footballer you can get up at nine o’clock for training.

“But that performance is what I signed him for and if he can keep that up we’ll have a great signing. Now he has to keep his levels and his fitness where it is.”