Player news

Moderator: Gary C

Mark Sweet

Re: Player news

Post by Mark Sweet »

Delighted that Dan has re-signed, thought he was our best player last season and definitely our most consistent. I was almost certain he was going to move on and go on to play at least 1 level above so this is a welcome surprise.

I feel like we have a strong core now at this point with key players from last season signed in most positions. Dowse knows what he's doing and knows what he wants so I have all the confidence in him to bring in the new players we need, especially that striker.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Alex Wall?
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Excellent news that Wilksy has re-signed for us, he was a major worry for me that he would join a higher league team.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Great news that Dan has re-signed for the new season. Thought he was excellent last year and was extremely unlucky (totally unjustified) to lose his place at the end of the season. Good to have him back again as our number one.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Excellent news. Another part of the jigsaw completed.

Welcome back Dan

COYD
The 5th Searcher

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:51 am Great news that Dan has re-signed for the new season. Thought he was excellent last year and was extremely unlucky (totally unjustified) to lose his place at the end of the season. Good to have him back again as our number one.
I don’t think he lost his position, I’m sure Dan was injured and that’s why he wasn’t playing.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

Great to get Wiksey back, our back line looks good just a shame meade wants to move on, feeling more confident each day and looking forward to the new signings to be announced.

COYD
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:26 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:51 am Great news that Dan has re-signed for the new season. Thought he was excellent last year and was extremely unlucky (totally unjustified) to lose his place at the end of the season. Good to have him back again as our number one.
I don’t think he lost his position, I’m sure Dan was injured and that’s why he wasn’t playing.
Thought that was the case initially, but then I'm sure Dan was fit before the end of the season and was named on the bench in the play-offs. For me, he should have been a certain starter.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Hoping we get another signing in today which would take our total up to 11 players! Would just need some subs then :D

Current squad is shaping up well.

Dan Wilks
Tom Bonner
Kristan Campbell
Connor Essam
Sam Odaudu
Jordan Wynter
Luke Allen
Cameron Brodie
Samir Carruthers
Dan Roberts
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:28 pm
Thought that was the case initially, but then I'm sure Dan was fit before the end of the season and was named on the bench in the play-offs. For me, he should have been a certain starter.
I spoke to Dan towards the end of the season , he did pick a knock but was then fine and SK just never picked him . He really did not seem happy about it and I cant blame him
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Having a look at Malachi Napa in pre-season then.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

He was a real flyer in his late teens , he has overcome his bad injury and was great for Maldon and Tiptree last season sol ets hope he can step up and can prove to Dowse that he should sign him ,IF SO we could have a real player on our hands , GOOD LUCK Malaki hope you make it !!!!
Spike

Post by Spike »

KSTDART wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:34 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:28 pm

I spoke to Dan towards the end of the season , he did pick a knock but was then fine and SK just never picked him . He really did not seem happy about it and I cant blame him
Well I would have to question the commitment of any player who WASN'T unhappy about being left out so I'm glad that Dan felt that way.

Ordinarily I would back the manager and say that when a player gets injured and the replacement comes in and is doing really well, as was the case with Charles-Cook, it's perfectly reasonable for the regular guy to have to wait for a chance to get his starting place back. In my opinion, that's a perfectly sound selection policy and it's surely good for morale when everyone in the squad knows that if they get their chance and play well enough, they'll keep their place. It is strange though, that for all the other positions in the team, Kingy didn't apply this policy at all and it was often the case that someone could put in a couple of back-to-back 5 star performances and then find themselves out of the team for the next few weeks. That being the case, I was a little surprised that player-of-the-season Wilksy didn't figure in the last few crucial games. Kingy undoubtedly brought some fine players to the club, but I never really got my head around his selection policy, it used to leave me baffled.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Well written post Spike, with which I fully agree, and from past forum comments so do many others.

Also, I just couldn't see how a manager could develop a strong bond within the squad when trying to bring together 50 players, albeit not all at the same time. No chance of the squad being a close knit one, and perhaps that was one of the reasons why supporters were becoming disillusioned with SK.

At least Dowse is talking about running with a far smaller group and encouraging the team building/bonding ethics. It reminds me of TB squads, especially the season we won promotion to the National League whereby generally, the players who won the promotion were given the opportunity of trying their hand in the National League. And what a season it was too!! More of the same please Dowsie!!

So, really looking forward to the forthcoming season and hopefully being able to travel down from Meseyside for the first time in a couple of seasons. Having said that, I have tested positive with the dreaded Covid for the first time this week and awaiting a negative test to appear, so there is still a need to be taking care.

COYD
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

According to Facebook we have signed Maxwell Statham from Welling!
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Confirmed.
The 5th Searcher

Another centre back who can also play left & right back.

He’s got a reasonable background Tottenham Youth, U18’s & U23’s.
Watford U23’s before moving onto Hornchurch and then Welling.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

We're up to 11 and training started today so hoping for a few more announcements soon:-

Wilks.

Wynter, Bonner, Essam, Statham, Campbell.

Carruthers, Allen, Brodie, Odauda.

Dan Roberts
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Murtagh retained
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

And now Murtagh makes 12 :) :)

Wilks.

Wynter, Bonner, Essam, Statham, Campbell.

Carruthers, Allen, Murtagh, Brodie, Odauda.

Dan Roberts