Player news

Moderator: Gary C

DA Mikey

Re: Player news

Post by DA Mikey »

Strange isn’t it, the strong likelihood of a positive reaction to most of the players on this list being retained
JCJ wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:55 pm Tom Bonner
Samir
Luke C
Jenade Meade
Ben D
Luke Allen
Conner Essam
Kieran M
Alex Wall
Charlie S
Pierre F
Bobby Dunn (Not sure if he was a loan player)
Jack Smith (been released Stevenage maybe we could sign him)
M Adebowale (Not sure if he was a loan player
R. Chin (Be nice if we can get him on loan for the season.)
Yet many on here have stated that recruitment was mediocre last season with several improvements / strengthening required and that Dowson & the team overachieved. What I would say is that DFC were lauded by a few neutral sources last season as a NL standard club playing at a lower level and that Ebbsfleet and DFC were a cut above the rest in the NLS.
It would be good to have a 20+ goalscorer next season though.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

DA Mikey wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:20 pm It would be good to have a 20+ goalscorer next season though.
We've already signed him......... :D :D
DA1

Post by DA1 »

DA Mikey wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:20 pm Strange isn’t it, the strong likelihood of a positive reaction to most of the players on this list being retained
Samir
Luke C
Jenade Meade
Ben D
Luke Allen
Conner Essam
Kieran M
Alex Wall
Charlie S
Pierre F
In my opinion I don’t think we’ll see even half that list being retained but we’ll see. Either way I’m really happy with the business done so far!
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

DA1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:57 pm
DA Mikey wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:20 pm Strange isn’t it, the strong likelihood of a positive reaction to most of the players on this list being retained
Samir
Luke C
Jenade Meade
Ben D
Luke Allen
Conner Essam
Kieran M
Alex Wall
Charlie S
Pierre F
In my opinion I don’t think we’ll see even half that list being retained but we’ll see. Either way I’m really happy with the business done so far!
I would agree with you, I think it’s strange we have no goalie yet let Wilkes go, i be happy with Samir, Connor and Bonner Luke C and Luke A and maybe Meade and Charlie, and Chin on loan for the season
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

I have no words.

The Futures White

Post by The Futures White »

Samir leaving is not good news at all......especially to Chelmsford. Evidently the club offered him a deal for next season but he had a better offer from Chelmsford. :cry:
Last edited by The Futures White on Wed May 24, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Started the season strongly but faded after his injury. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but he’s replaceable. If players leave for the money and don’t want to play for the club then, as they say in Le Douvre, au revoir!

Good luck to him except against us.
Last edited by DA1 on Mon May 22, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Clearly went for more money, how much more they offered we'll never know. Dowse obviously wanted him to stay, we now must find a replacement who is better.

Park Life

Post by Park Life »

I would probably have offered Samir another deal as well because on his day he's a good player, but if he's gone for a better deal then that's his choice.
However as DA1 said he started the season well but didn't look fit second half and struggled to last 90 mins and when he did start was subbed a lot of the time.
I'm not as disappointed as i thought i would be and he may prove me wrong, time will tell.
Last edited by Park Life on Mon May 22, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

DA1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:06 pm Started the season strongly but faded after his injury. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but he’s replaceable. If players leave for the money and don’t want to play for the club then, as they say in Le Douvre, au revoir!

I agree with that DA1. He didn't look the same player for us after Christmas, I would be more disappointed if we lost Coulson.
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Jonty wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:35 pm I agree with that DA1. He didn't look the same player for us after Christmas, I would be more disappointed if we lose Coulson.
Agree, Coulson had a very strong season and would be gutted if he left but he really does deserve to play higher.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

1st half of the season Samir I would be disappointed but 2nd half season not so disappointed seem to struggle with injury and last 90 minutes.
Last edited by BRASSNECK on Mon May 22, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

Losing Samir is a MASSIVE loss. We won 10 and drew one out of 11 when he was on fire. When he was off form our results suffered. And he was still more likely to create something than most others.

Without a firing-on-all-cylinders we have no chance of promotion. Without a 60% Samir we won’t finish in the top 7 and with no Samir it’s bottom half, I’m afraid. We lack creativity and our spine is as weak as it was under Flanagan & Coyle.

Of course, there is plenty of time to make the right signings. But they have to be right. Probably at least half a dozen more new signings, probably three of whom need to be ‘marquee’ signings. And we need to keep what we had before. Except for our best player who has joined a right bunch of c&&£s. I’d probably have been less disappointed if he’d joined Ebbsfleet.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Every player will leave eventually for one reason or another so I never really get too stressed when they do.

If you look at the previous season, Jebb, Husin, Robinson to name just a few all left and they were quality players but we finished higher in the league this season without them.

It's not always the best players that make the best team as this season proved.
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

Jonty wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:35 pm
DA1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:06 pm Started the season strongly but faded after his injury. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but he’s replaceable. If players leave for the money and don’t want to play for the club then, as they say in Le Douvre, au revoir!

I agree with that DA1. He didn't look the same player for us after Christmas, I would be more disappointed if we lost Coulson.
Coulson throws his toys out the pram a bit much for my liking. Still, we depend on him even more now. But I can’t see him rushing to sign on the dotted line until he sees who we bring in.

I’m sure Dowse is doing what he can but he needs to get a move-on or anyone who’s any good will go elsewhere and we’ll be left with the youth team and some plucky journeymen who wouldn’t look our of place in the Isthmian.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Nobody is irreplaceable, especially at this level. It just puts more pressure on the recruitment being spot on. Yes I'm frustrated that he's gone, even more so that it's to Chelmsford. Should we be worried that they are able to offer more than us?

I'm sure Dowse has enough contacts to be able to bring someone in who's as good, if not better than Samir and who's not as injury prone and able to do it over a full 46 game season.

Luke C and Tom B are essential to get on board for the next season. We then have a core of players Dowse can build around and bring new faces in.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Park Life wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:33 pm I would probably have offered Samir another deal as well because on his day he's a good player, but if he's gone for a better deal then that's his choice.
However as DA1 said he started the season well but didn't look fit second half and struggled to last 90 mins and when he did start was subbed a lot of the time.
I'm not as disappointed as i thought i would be and he may prove me wrong, time will tell.
We’ll be better off without him imo. No one player is bigger than the Club!!
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Nobody knows what he was offered by either club. My bet is he got greedy and took the slightly better offer Chelmo made after we rejected his inflated request. Players can be very mercenary - trust me!
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Around a decade ago Tony Burman put a squad together to win the National South outright.
Then we got that ill fated National League reprieve due to the financial irregularities surrounding Salisbury City.
Fast forward to 2023 and we're getting a squad together to reach the play-offs.
Princes Park's ground National League standard atleast.
Away fans singing your ground's too big for you next season will hardly be surprising.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Samir’s fitness lacked far too much in the 2nd half of the season after his injury and he used to throw his toys out of the pram and sulk at times.
He was superb at the start but as soon as he got injured he came back a poorer player.
I’m not that fussed about him going and I’m sure Dowse has others in mind to replace him & ones that will last longer than half a season.