Tom Bonner

Grassbank

Re: Tom Bonner

Post by Grassbank »

I understand that Tom received his marching orders late in the game tonight. Havant recorded a 1 - 4 defeat, so they are still bottom.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Oh dear. Overtime for Bonner on Saturday.
Nin

Post by Nin »

Grassbank wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:14 pm I understand that Tom received his marching orders late in the game tonight. Havant recorded a 1 - 4 defeat, so they are still bottom.
2 yellows. no mention of that in the SK interview after. just moaning that the players he brought in are not performing and that aveley had all the luck.

Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Players he brought in not performing??? Sounds awfully like a Mr Dowse a month ago. :D
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

ALMOST , feel sorry for Tom , no preseason , havent [ no pun] played for 10 weeks and now having to pick which games work will allow him to play , no wonder he is getting sent of as he cannot be no where near match fit and having to play in a poor team , seems a shame that a grand a week may tarnish a great players final months !!!!!!!!!!
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Duke, I don't think Tom's reputation will ever be in doubt with the real DFC supporters. In my mind, he has cemented his place in the all time greats lists, alongside Steve Connor. Thanks for your service Tom and carry on cashing in.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Jonty , my friend !!, I referred to Tom Bonner as a " Great Player " and will always be a legend at the Darts , the rest is what I believe could happen and that would be a shame !!!!!!!!!
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Jonty wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:46 pm Duke, I don't think Tom's reputation will ever be in doubt with the real DFC supporters. In my mind, he has cemented his place in the all time greats lists, alongside Steve Connor. Thanks for your service Tom and carry on cashing in.
Was Steve better than Colin Johnson? God those two were rolls Royce footballers!
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:52 pm
Jonty wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:46 pm Duke, I don't think Tom's reputation will ever be in doubt with the real DFC supporters. In my mind, he has cemented his place in the all time greats lists, alongside Steve Connor. Thanks for your service Tom and carry on cashing in.
Was Steve better than Colin Johnson? God those two were rolls Royce footballers!
Colin Johnson was a goal scoring fullback whereas Steve was a no nonsense central defender. I always felt that Johnno was not the best defensively, the same could be said of David Myers, but boy were they exiting to watch.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Jonty wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:59 pm
Colin Johnson was a goal scoring fullback whereas Steve was a no nonsense central defender. I always felt that Johnno was not the best defensively, the same could be said of David Myers, but boy were they exiting to watch.
Didn’t Colin Johnson score 13 goals from left back one season, including that winner in the SL Cup final at home to Bromsgrove Rovers? Him and Conners were just 2 of Peter Taylor’s quality signings. What a team: goals and entertainment was always a given.
tommytollbooth

Post by tommytollbooth »

The 20 comments after the Steve King Twitter interview from the H&W fans are pretty critical, you better start winning soon Steve otherwise it may be a short appointment.
KentC

Post by KentC »

tommytollbooth wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:21 am The 20 comments after the Steve King Twitter interview from the H&W fans are pretty critical, you better start winning soon Steve otherwise it may be a short appointment.

And the Steve King obsession continues.
Too many just haven’t moved on.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

It's a bit hard not to comment on SK on the Tom Bonner thread. I've moved on from SK but I had to comment.
But then, what do I know? FA apparently.
I wish everyone would move on from Tom Bonner.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Agreed , much more interesting to talk about whether we are stronger at the back with Beeney than we were with Dan Wilks or possible someone else ??????
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I think Joash is a quality player Duke and in some way the introduction of Diarra has helped him. But we still seem to be making the odd mistake at the back.
As for Beeney he does seem a tad slow off his line and doesn't seem to dominate his area. Whereas Wilks would have been better in that area it was his decision to leave I believe. Even though we beat Havant, getting hold of Cookie would have been a plus. we have to keep backing Mitch but bringing in Lewington could be the answer. I don't know his age but he has the experience.
Nice not to talk about this thread i general. Would do well to forget it.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

I think a few need counseling as regards not only King but Bonner too. Agree with the Duke, we should be talking our team, not has- been's.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Skip wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:57 pm

Didn’t Colin Johnson score 13 goals from left back one season, including that winner in the SL Cup final at home to Bromsgrove Rovers? Him and Conners were just 2 of Peter Taylor’s quality signings. What a team: goals and entertainment was always a given.
Hi Skip, hope you have settled into deepest Suffolk. Just had a look at my Princes Among Men almonac and it says Colin scored 39 goals for the Darts in just over 300 appearances. Just as I was closing the book I noticed a page about a certain Gary Hills having a disagreement with then manager Graham Carr in 1980, which did make me chuckle.
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Sorry slightly off the subject of Tom Bonner but I blame Jonty when he mentioned
Hi Skip, hope you have settled into deepest Suffolk. Just had a look at my Princes Among Men almanac and it says Colin scored 39 goals for the Darts in just over 300 appearances. Just as I was closing the book I noticed a page about a certain Gary Hills having a disagreement with then manager Graham Carr in 1980, which did make me chuckle.
:o :o

Jonty
I had a look in Princes Among Men and also the earlier A History Of Dartford Football Club and just to put Skip in a better frame of light he gets the same mention in both books praising his efforts along with Mike Smith for selling the inflatable penguins.

Quote from the program for the Southern League Cup Semi Final home game against Atherstone (3-0)
It was home debut night for scores of inflatable penguins, the new Watling Street craze.
Highlight of the mass appearance was the formation flying to the Dambusters theme. Very impressive.
More penguins will be on sale this afternoon - see Mike Smith or Gary Hills who is selling the little fellas.
It is good to see that the Penguin Sales Organisation Customer Services Department really looks after the buyer any faulty goods are replaced without question (or at least they were on Tuesday !!!
Skip I remember that night well and I was flying my penguin along with every one else that hadn't punctured them, :lol: those were the days, just how many did you have to replace ? :lol: and I am still waiting on you and Spike resurrecting that well known fanzine which ran long side the selling of penguins
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Ha ha. Like this!!

Sadly, back in the 80s i was missing out on the Darts, what with living in South Wales at that time and 2 young lboys at that time. So I missed out on seeibg the penguins, although I do now have a small collection of ceramic ones!

Hope you settle down well in Suffolk Gary.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Jonty wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:05 pm
Skip wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:57 pm

Hi Skip, hope you have settled into deepest Suffolk. Just had a look at my Princes Among Men almonac and it says Colin scored 39 goals for the Darts in just over 300 appearances. Just as I was closing the book I noticed a page about a certain Gary Hills having a disagreement with then manager Graham Carr in 1980, which did make me chuckle.
Hi Jonty, very much settled in, thanks. Life is great up here. I’d forgotten how prolific Colin Johnson was for a wing back / full back. Oh, and that disagreement with Graham Carr was about a comment I’d made in the editorial of the programme about a player Carr had released. I resigned as programme editor shortly after and Carr followed a few months later when he took over as manager of Nuneaton (I think). The season didn’t end too badly though as the Darts won the SL and we narrowly missed out on another Wembley appearance with that travesty of a defeat at Bishop’s Stortford in the Trophy semi final.