Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
No votes
Keiran Murtagh (Sub)
2%

Total votes: 42

KentC

Re: Dartford v St Albans City Sun 7 May 2023 @ 12.30

Post by KentC »

We should have been aiming for second place. We should be going for promotion through that route. That should have been our target from the start, we are Dartford FC what gives us no divine right to anything but we should be challenging up there no question. Knobfleet play a different competition on their own spending someone elses money what to be fair they’ve blown and fked up enough.
However we should have aimed to be the best of the rest, credit to Dowse for finishing there but that had to be our aim.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Thought that heading to half time we were in control and to let a goal in before the break, would have been criminal. So what do we do?
Second half when we did find the lads up field we had the better chances, we ran at them and with more luck, should have scored. Second half SA were piss poor, yes they passed the ball around sweetly but never threatened, they just kept getting the ball because of us lumping it out.
Back four played well and whenever Coulson got the ball he held it up well and distributed well. Tragedy to lose Chinny so early and it definately changed our game. But to be honest I didn't think SA looked half the team from three weeks ago.
Coulson, Wynter, Statham and Bradbury all did their bit and Harvey scored a great goal. Dud had nothing to do second half. I thought it was a good team effort and when Samir missed his penalty albeit from a good save from their keeper all they had to do was find the back of the net, which they did well. To be honest I didn't think Samir altered the game when he came on and felt he wasn't mentally in the right place when he went up for the penalty. I don't blame him, the keeper did well.
Close for MOTM for me between Coulson and Wynter but I'm going for Luke. It's a pity we couldn't take more of an advantage from his play.
But altogether I thought it was a good game of footie. Shame about the result.
I think SA are a good bet for promotion and a little surprised they are not playing Worthing.
Look forward to next season and a much more interesting one considering what went on this one.
COYD's
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match Report by Chris Palmer

Dartford’s prospects of promotion ended at the Semi-Final stage of the play-offs, as St Albans City won the lottery of a penalty shootout after 120 minutes of frantic football.

As a massive crowd of 3,234 descended upon Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park for this early kick-off, they were treated to an excellent game of football with both sides attacking in numbers. And, before we get to the action, special mention must be made of those 3,234 supporters because, they had the stadium bouncing for the entire afternoon, making for a wonderful atmosphere.

Despite the football being frantic and end-to-end, it was the Darts who created the better opportunities during the opening exchanges, as both Maxwell Statham (3) and Richard Chin (10) forced good saves out of Saints’ goalkeeper Dylan Berry.

The hosts were rewarded for their good start in the 13th minute when Harvey Bradbury was sent through after a superb interception by Statham. The in-form striker saw Berry rushing out towards him and took advantage to lob the goalkeeper to give the hosts a deserved lead.

Jack Smith then forced another good save from Berry with a great strike through a sea of bodies following Luke Coulson’s corner (25), as Dartford threatened to run away with the game.

However, three minutes later saw the visitors remind everyone that they were still in the game and have a dangerous attack of their own. Zane Banton was the player to keep Ben Dudzinski on his toes, as he forced the goalkeeper into his first save of the afternoon with a low drive (28).

Unfortunately, Dartford’s plans took a blow on the half-hour, as the excellent Richard Chin was forced to leave proceedings due to an injury. His performance on the right-flank, together with Maxwell Statham, had been nothing short of excellent and it was sad to see him having to go off. Manager, Alan Dowson, brought on Pierre Fonkeu as his replacement (30).

Having been warned earlier, the hosts then found themselves pegged back with four minutes of the half remaining after having been undone by a low corner. Aidan Francis-Clarke was the player to get the equaliser after a period of Saints pressure was eventually rewarded (41).

The visitors then found themselves to be the first to go into referee Mr Ruebyn Ricardo’s book, after Joy Mukena pulled Harvey Bradbury’s shirt when the Dartford man was through on goal (44)! Luke Coulson took the resulting free-kick, but couldn’t find a way past the defensive wall as half-time arrived with the score level.

The start of the second forty-five saw St Albans replace Callum Adebiyi with Michael Clark, yet it was the hosts who began strongly once again. However, once again Dylan Berry was on hand to keep the score level as he saved superbly from Harvey Bradbury after excellent work by Pierre Fonkeu (47).

The striker was in fine form this afternoon, and even saw an excellent header crash back off the crossbar in the 57th minute, only to be flagged offside anyway.

The visitors began to venture forward themselves at this stage and Shaun Jeffers continued to make a nuisance of himself. Firstly, the striker got caught by the excellent Sam Odaudu, whereby the youngster was shown a yellow card, before the Saint was booked himself…

Having made a brilliant clearance in the 60th minute to prevent Jeffers from scoring, Connor Essam was caught by the St Albans captain’s high boot, which earned him a caution (65), as tempers began to boil. Essam would find himself cautioned late in the game for a late challenge as he returned the favour to Jeffers!

Maxwell Statham saw his strike blocked by Zane Banton in the 75th minute, before the latter’s involvement at the other end almost paid dividends for the Saints. Having found Mitchell Weiss in space, Banton laid off the pass, only for Weiss to miss the target with his header (77).

The Darts then swapped Jack Smith for Samir Carruthers (77), as we approached the closing stages of the ninety. And yet, both sides were going for broke, despite tiring legs materialising.

A superb challenge by Jordan Wynter prevented Shaun Jeffers from getting clean through on goal (84), before Tom Bonner came desperately close to winning the game in the 90th minute. Having got onto the end of Luke Coulson’s corner, the Skipper’s header was somehow tipped onto the crossbar by Dylan Berry, before Aidan Francis-Clarke was on hand to clear the danger.

Right at the death saw St Albans swap Mitchell Weiss with Joe Neal, before the additional thirty minutes began. They then brought on Glenn McConnell for Devante Stanley, while Alan Dowson swapped Harvey Bradbury and Luke Allen with Keiran Murtagh and Charlie Sheringham.

Dylan Berry was once again on hand to make another vital intervention, as he prevented Luke Coulson from scoring after being played through by Carruthers (97), before Ryan Blackman prevented Sheringham from getting a shot away (105).

As we entered the final fifteen minutes, the visitors brought on Huw Dawson for Ben Smith, before Berry was called into action once again. This time the goalkeeper was alert to stop Tom Bonner’s header from creeping into the bottom corner (110).

The goalkeeper then saved well from Sheringham (112), before McConnell was booked for a cynical foul on Samir Carruthers in an attempt to stop the midfielder from launching a counter attack (114).

And so, after 120 minutes of football, the lottery of a penalty shootout arrived. The visitors won the coin toss and took the first spot-kick, which Shaun Jeffers dispatched. In fact, teammates Glenn McConnell, Zane Banton, Chay Cooper, and Joe Neal all went on to score theirs, while Dylan Berry managed to save Samir Carruthers’ first effort for the Darts. Even though Luke Coulson, Charlie Sheringham, and Keiran Murtagh all scored their spot-kicks, it sadly wasn’t enough.

St Albans now face Oxford City in the play-off Final, after they’d beaten Worthing 2-0, so good luck to the Saints in their quest for promotion.

Meanwhile, the Darts will compete for National League South honours once again next season. But for now we rest before those preparations begin, as the dust begins to settle on another competitive, yet emotional season of football at Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park.

TEAMS

DARTFORD: Ben Dudzinski, Jordan Wynter, Richard Chin, Connor Essam, Tom Bonner (c), Luke Coulson, Luke Allen, Maxwell Statham, Jack Smith, Harvey Bradbury, Sam Odaudu.

SUBSTITUTES: Dan Wilks, Samir Carruthers, Keiran Murtagh, Pierre Fonkeu, Charlie Sheringham.

ST ALBANS CITY: Dylan Berry, Devante Stanley, Aidan Francis-Clarke, Callum Adebiyi, Ryan Blackman, Shaun Jeffers (c), Zane Banton, Mitchell Weiss, Joy Mukena, Ben Smith, Chay Cooper.

SUBSTITUTES: Michael Clark, Huw Dawson, Munashe Sundire, Glenn McConnell, Joe Neal.

By Chris Palmer
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

LA Dart

Post by LA Dart »

Best I’ve seen us play for months ! St. A’s maybe 10% as impressive as they were 2 weeks ago and very fortunate to win today.
Statham continues to improve but the whole team impressed me today.
Let’s hope Dowse can bring in a few new faces for next season.

COYD
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

We had the chances to win the game but didn't take them so it's down to us we aren't in the play off final, really gutting as I felt if we played pretty well today. The lads put in a good shift, Ben hardly had to make a decent save all game and whilst Snalbans spread the ball well from side to side, we created the better chances but lacked the quality to take them.

I've had a horrible niggling feeling since pre season we would make the play offs but lose in them as the squad looked light in certain areas to me, so whilst I'm gutted I've felt all along we might just come up short, so not completely surprised. IMO we have relied on our very good defensive abilities a bit too much and lacked a bit in forward positions. We also don't have one player with real pace to get past an opponent and have relied on two injury prone forwards, who have been injured for long periods. Unfortunately when we get to the semi final play off one's injured and we called on the other one whose been out for ages and short of match fitness to come on and try and win the game. That was a tough ask and I felt as soon as we took Harvey off, our main goal threat had gone (he's been very good since he came in and I'd love to keep him next season).

I've never bought into this "late to the party" this season as if that's the case we'll have a fully signed up squad by the end of May, no pressure Dowse ;) ;)
Having said that I think Dowse has done a very good job with this squad and got the absolute best out of them, in fact probably over achieved.
So looking forward to seeing who Dowse and his backroom team bring in as if they can improve the squad, we have to believe we can do even better.

Tom.B, Sam.O, Jordan.W, Luke.C and Harvey.B all had good games but gave MOTM to Harvey who gave their back four a torrid time all afternoon and scored a good goal. IMO among the many phone calls Dowse makes close season, Harvey should be one of the first 🤞🤞

COYD
Last edited by Park Life on Sun May 07, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Pointless saying it this year as will be seen as sour grapes but from next year there should be no penalties. The team finishing higher should go through after extra time.
The opponents have had 46 games and 120mins to finish above and if they couldn’t do that then shouldn’t have the further lottery of a penalty shoot out to reward them for not doing what they should have done during the season!
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:51 pm Pointless saying it this year as will be seen as sour grapes but from next year there should be no penalties. The team finishing higher should go through after extra time.
The opponents have had 46 games and 120mins to finish above and if they couldn’t do that then shouldn’t have the further lottery of a penalty shoot out to reward them for not doing what they should have done during the season!
Thing is they’ll say the higher team already has the advantage of playing at home.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Sleightly Deceptive wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:16 pm Central midfield and a couple of wingers plus a twenty-goal-a-season striker to accompany Bradbury up front. (Hoping he stays.) It’s gonna be as exciting a summer ahead as well as the subsequent ‘National League South West’ season! I’m looking forward to it already!
Bradbury won’t be staying unfortunately as he’s already under contract for another season with Dorchester Town.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Hitchin Dart79 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:51 pm Pointless saying it this year as will be seen as sour grapes but from next year there should be no penalties. The team finishing higher should go through after extra time.
I've never considered or heard that solution before, HitchinDart, but it is a very sensible and reasoned solution, even if I doubt the footballing authorities ever agreeing to it. Yet again, 3 of the 4 away teams in the divisional playoffs won their games. It does make a mockery of teams finishing 8 points higher in the league as we did, and not losing the game, but not gaining promotion either. People will know of my disagreement with playoffs anyway.

To the game itself, it is a game we should have won. We played far better than 3 weeks ago against St Albans, and for me, they did not cause us the problems they did in the earlier match. One has to feel for Samir missing the first spot kick as most fans would have him as an automatic team selection. Many fans prior to the game were nervous of the outcome today, and so it has proved.
To be fair, I enjoyed watching the streamed game, more so the first half when we created some excellent chances. My MoM vote went to Luke Coulson, with Wynter and Bradbury in close contention, along with Chinn, had he not gone of injured.

For me, a couple of bonuses this season has been the emergence of youngsters Sam and George Whitehead coming through the ranks. Bradbury has also done very well for us, and maybe, just maybe, a move from Dorchester might be a possibility if it could be arranged, and the lad wants to play at a higher level.

It will be interesting to see the retained list, as Dowse makes his plans for next season.

In truth, whilst I would have loved to have seen the Darts up in the National League next season and see the northern games, I do think it might have been a step up too soon, and would have preferred to see the team moving up on a positive and confident run of form, with the majority of players capable of making that step up, as we did with TB a decade ago.

For sure, next year will be a stronger league, but that shouldn't frighten us, and should help us drive onwards and upwards. One thing for sure, having seen some of the poor standard of grounds in this division, is that Princes Park is crying out to host National League football again. The work starts now, and Dowse knows what is needed

COYD See you next season
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:06 pm
Sleightly Deceptive wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:16 pm Central midfield and a couple of wingers plus a twenty-goal-a-season striker to accompany Bradbury up front. (Hoping he stays.) It’s gonna be as exciting a summer ahead as well as the subsequent ‘National League South West’ season! I’m looking forward to it already!
Bradbury won’t be staying unfortunately as he’s already under contract for another season with Dorchester Town.
You might want to check that mate ;) ;)
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Park Life wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:48 pm
You might want to check that mate ;) ;)
I hope I’m wrong Parky and we do sign Harvey for next season as he’ll be a superb signing.
I’m only going by what had been mentioned quite a few times on the terraces, that Dorchester had already got him signed for next season.

🤞 that it’s wrong.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Harvey will be with us next season.

The game - yes we played well but, stating the obvious, it’s about taking chances in a game that was always going to be tight. We didn’t, even when, in ET, St Albans were out on their feet.

Good performance as a whole yesterday. The stakes were high and there had to be a loser and that unfortunately the jam side of our toast landed downside. Some strong performances from, particularly, our back 4, Luke, Harvey but my MoM goes to Jordan Wynter.

No criticism from me. As I’ve said, not impressed with the knockers that spout their ill-informed crap on this forum. It’ll be raw for a day or two more yet but then the work starts for next season.
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

That is incorrect he is not under contract with them.
Dart Mark

Post by Dart Mark »

Great effort from the team and had the better chances to win it. Can be proud of them all. Congratulations to St Albans on getting the win, they battled well for it. Our defence kept them quiet but we weren't able to take the chances we created. Very painful and frustrating. Feel for Samir, was visibly distraught at the end. Not sure why some loud mouth b*tch was giving him grief as he had the balls to actually take a penalty

Looking forward to seeing the squad Dowse builds next season. We will be up there again as he is a great manager. COYD
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I hope Dowse has already been chatting to Harvey about next season as he has been impressive with his goals and his work ethic ,obviously a team player and has already established a rapport with the fans which he enjoys and the Darts are a class Club to be with

Yesterdays gone and whilst I wanted us to win the team did us proud and left everything on the pitch which is ALL we can ask , good luck to St Albans I hope they beat Oxford City as they play good football and have a Manager who is a proper football man and a very noisy fan base !!
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

All these chances we missed: Coulson had a one-on-one from a great through-ball from Carruthers (and I’d give credit to the keeper for the save rather than criticise Coulson for not scoring), but apart from that I can’t recall a great deal. We had a couple at the away end but they were given offside. I think the Lino at that end was born with his flag up. We had more of the game than they did, and should have made it count, but I don’t recall many clear-cut chances that we should have stuck away. Or do I have amnesia?
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Still really hurting, but it is at least nice to read all these posts magnanimous in defeat. PP enjoyed a great atmosphere and a tight, well contested game of football yesterday. The turning point was the injury to Richard Chin, whose extraction removed our width and highlighted St. Albans passing play. Fonkeu was possibly not the best replacement, but football has a habit of railroading these decisions and that is all a part of it.

At the end of the day, there was a mere fag paper between the two sides, which physically manifested itself in Berry guessing to dive to his right as Samir took our initial penalty kick. Absolutely sucks, especially when factoring in that this is how our last three seasons (dismissing the 20/21 Covid curtailment) have climaxed, the only difference being that one was in the final, last season in the “eliminator” and now the semis, just to complete the set.

So will there be more travelling in the National South West than there would have been if we’d gone up? It must be close…
Onwards and sideways. COYD
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Dickie, the double save by Berry as early as the second minute of the second half, firstly by Pierre and then Harvey. We looked more likely to score as SA were poor second half.
In fact I rated Berry, as he was a big imposing keeper. In fact, overall, I thought Zane Banton was their best player and MOTM closely followed by Coulson. And as for Jeffers, he hardly made ordinary in my opinion.
But all that is yesterday.
Dicky Dart

Post by Dicky Dart »

ozymandias wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:48 am Dickie, the double save by Berry as early as the second minute of the second half, firstly by Pierre and then Harvey. We looked more likely to score as SA were poor second half.
In fact I rated Berry, as he was a big imposing keeper. In fact, overall, I thought Zane Banton was their best player and MOTM closely followed by Coulson. And as for Jeffers, he hardly made ordinary in my opinion.
But all that is yesterday.
Yes, that 2nd half chance. My view was obscured by players but that did seem to be a good chance. Even if we had only three chances it was two more than St Albans had.

Banton did well for them, but we gave him a lot of room. And he faded badly. In my opinion their best player was the bloke who scored - their right-back with the double-barrelled name.

Jeffers was pathetic. Should have been sent off for elbowing Essam in the head. Received a yellow. And he went down pretending he was injured. Cheating ****! And, of course, he scored a penalty.

But we can’t do anything about it now.

Dowse won’t have much of a close season, in my opinion. Interesting from his interview: if he doesn’t think we can reach the playoffs next season then he…..well, the implication is he’ll jack it in. Probably just a throwaway remark; I’m sure he will be around.