Pierre Fonkeu (Sub)
2%
Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 45

PeteSamson

Re: Dartford v St Albans City Sat 22 Apr 2023

Post by PeteSamson »

Thanks for the mention Jonty! I had an absolutely brilliant day yesterday on my first visit back after covid, the rail strikes and the rail works disruptions closing Euston Station at times.

Really really enjoyed catching up with some of the old faces. I must admit, I was somewhat apprehensive prior to the match after last Thursday's disappointing defeat at Concord and I wasn't confident we would get the result we needed yesterday. The first early goal settled nerves, but then the Darts drifted out of the game, and like others, thought were lucky not to have been 1-3 down at halftime as I saw for myself, live, some of the errors I have been seeing in many of the highlights of the games throughout the season. Thankfully, we did turn it round with a vastly improved performance in the second half and we Darts did well to turn it around after St Alban's drew level. In the 2nd half, I walked behind our goal to the food pod and was surprised how strongly the sun was shining into the keepers eyes. Might have made it difficult to pick up Shaun Jeffers header.

Just so pleased that Chelmsford and Oxford both dropped vital points yesterday so that the fans were able to celebrate confirmation of 2nd spot on the day.

I also had the pleasure of meeting up with Pierre Fonkue after the game following my kit sponsorship of him fir the season, when he came out of a dressing room full of players in high spirits. Delightful guy and so ironic for me that it was his goal that helped secure the much needed 3 points.

Fair play to St Albans too for making it a tough game for us. Could we still be facing each other again before the season comes to an end? Who knows what lies ahead, but hopeful this result will push the boys on to secure promotion, simply on the basis of being runners up. I hate the playoff system, especially when only 2 teams get promoted, even though I have to accept it as a part of the modern game.

For me, a fantastic day out and a great way to celebrate my 76th birthday today.

COYD
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

As good a finisher as Jeffers is Pete, I don’t think even he could score with an overhead header??
Ring of fire

Post by Ring of fire »

Belated happy birthday St.George Pete! With your Win record, did ask you to be here again for the 1st p/off date (& hopefully for the 2nd one!)
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Yes, belated birthday wishes Pete but I did wonder about the Overhead header, very good M1 :D
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

I could blame it on those pints of Guinness and the tiredness, but I won't. Just age!! :lol: