The Dart(s) Board - New Forum

Park Life

The Dart(s) Board - New Forum

Post by Park Life »

Just like to thank Rick and Gary.C for making the transition to this forum so easy.
Well done gents and thanks very much for all your hard work, it is appreciated.
DA Mikey

Re: The Dart(s) Board - New Forum

Post by DA Mikey »

Agreed. Great big thanks to you both!
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Park Life wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pm Just like to thank Rick and Gary.C for making the transition to this forum so easy.
Well done gents and thanks very much for all your hard work, it is appreciated.
That's quite ok. It's just a shame I was unable to restore Gary's backup of his forum to maintain all the older posts.
I did try. Thanks for all your input so far, Steve and obvs thanks to Gary and thanks to the people that have registered on this forum.
butcheragano

Post by butcheragano »

well done
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I was concerned when Gary told me a couple of months back that he wanted to take a back seat but with Rick at the helm, it has been seamless. Thank you to both gentlemen. If you ever need a contribution I would be happy to put my hand in my pocket. It might also be worthwhile in purchasing an SSL certificate, which I have to have for the company websites I run.
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Jonty mentioned
If you ever need a contribution I would be happy to put my hand in my pocket.
I would like to second this as a number of us that posted on the forum used to make a modest contribution to Gary at the start of the season as a thankyou for his time and work keeping it running and up to date
If it helps towards running costs then let us know
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Thank you for your kind offers, but the only contributions I require for the forum are in the form of text & not money. Keeping the forum active with your (friendly) discussions is all what I need. It may get heated at times which is fine, but please refrain from swearing at each other or threatening each other.

I'm just worried if I make "thedarts.eu" https, then it will break other things that I have running inside it - not football related.

I totally broke it on 13th of this month when I installed WordPress as an add-on (with Disco Stu's previews in mind) & for reasons unknown the installation attached itself to "thedarts.eu" & not a new domain I had set up & the whole thing went down. I had to get the web-host to reset it. Then ftp stopped working & then the PHP version went backwards since they "fiddled with the domain". Maybe doing that on the 13th wasn't such a good idea. All good now, but my BP wasn't at the time.

I do have a free SSL certificate I can use - but dare I bite the bullet?
I have some questions to ask my web-host first.
Cheers. Rick
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

All I know is if you don’t GOSUB a programme loop, you’ll never get a subroutine.
Disco Stu

Post by Disco Stu »

The transfer from the old to the new forum has gone pretty smoothly, so well done to Gary and Rick. Also thank you Rick for setting up a new Word Press site especially after the challenge it presented you with.

To make it all worth it I've managed to play about with the Word Press site Rick kindly set up.

I'm learning as I go along really so blagging it a little, but if anyone wants to check out what it looks like so far visit...

www.puredfc.co.uk

I've also added links to this forum, the official website, Ricks amazing site of stats, Dartford's Twitter account and the account used for the live commentary. Then if you use your favourites and have the new Dartford FC Preview site saved as one you'll have easy access to the other services the club has to offer.

Still work in progress, but if anyone notices anything not working (like a link) then please let me know.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Wow, amazing Stu!!.

I'm just waiting for my web-host to get back to me as I am sure when I ordered
Wordpress "Managed" it said it came with a free SSL certificate (to make the WordPress site "https" - to stop this "not secure" nonsense) - I know no one logs into the site apart from you, but just to get rid of the message from people's browsers. I did try to make it https as soon as I ordered the domain, but it wasn't having it & as I had broken enough on that day :roll: , I left it.

I know it said I had a free SSL certificate with one of domains which I have never activated,
so when they come back today or tomorrow, I'll go from there. If I do have 2 free ones, I'll make puredfc.co.uk https first & then think about making "thedarts.eu" https (if this is not too much work for me). Just means changing the links on "puredfc.co.uk" to https. Easier to do it now than further down the line. I'll email you once I know. Thanks. Rick
Disco Stu

Post by Disco Stu »

Cheers Rick
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

One site fits all, very good gents.

https://www.puredfc.co.uk/

If i had any official capacity at the club i'd be pleading with you two guys to sort out DFC's social media.

Thanks and keep up the good work, it is appreciated.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

We've just hit the 100 members mark and after such a short space of time that's quite an achievement.

Lots of familiar faces have signed up again and i suspect some incognito ;) ;), hopefully though some of these are new members as well.

Still a few notable absentees so i would encourage you all to join again as there are just as many (if not more) hidden guests always on line so i know you're out there reading this anyway :) :)

Whilst we might not always agree :lol: :lol: it's good to be able to have a chat about our football club and most importantly we all have the same thing in common, we want success for DFC.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Jonty wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:30 am It might also be worthwhile in purchasing an SSL certificate
"thedarts.eu" now has a SSL certificate as of today to match "puredfc.co.uk" from a couple of weeks ago.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Tomorrow will be the official 1 month "anniversary" of this forum.

In the past month:

I added a WordPress option with new domain name for Disco Stu for his previews, gave that site a SSL certificate as well as giving this site one (ie from http to https).

I did my first forum software upgrade - so it's running the latest.

I applied a mod to the software so that external webpage links open up in new tabs & don't exit the forum.

I added code so that I can create a table like in "The Leach/Towersey Memorial Shield Thread 2021/22" post, so it looks better.

118 registered members so far - plenty more out there to join.

Just looking at the people commenting on the DFC Facebook page - most of them
don't know a forum exists, I am sure.

Here are two charts. One from before I installed the forum software (installed 25th August) & one from last week. Small difference. Not many people knew my websites existed, obviously.
I was definitely getting more traffic eons ago though.

Indeed, I remember when Gary's forum was really active too, especially around the time when AFC Sudbury also had a forum. I remember the banter.
I also remember "Mr Gaz" in the stands relaying info via phone to "Mrs Gaz" at home, to keep the forum updated with the latest at the games.

The stats show how many visitors accessed the website. Visitors are uniquely
identified on the basis of the IP address and the browser ID. If a visitor goes to the website more than once a day, only one visitor is counted.

The stats only include the forum & unofficial website - not the preview site or my other DFC related satellite sites as they are under different domain names.

Maybe I should add a weekly graphic to this post so we can all see the traffic?
Anyone think this is a good idea or not?

(Click graphic (if required) to make larger as it is currently displaying a thumbnail image, thus it looks blurry)

160821-220821-thedarts.jpg

041021-101021-thedarts.jpg
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

I haven't a clue what a lot of that means Rick but i do know that everything is working well and appreciate all the hard work you've put in :lol: :lol:

Well done and thanks.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Park Life wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 pm I haven't a clue what a lot of that means Rick but i do know that everything is working well and appreciate all the hard work you've put in :lol: :lol:

Well done and thanks.
I showed you how to transfer files via ftp, so I'm sure I could explain the above :lol: :lol:
Just need more people to sign up (other than the Russians who I keep blocking).
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

The visitor stats are probably One Step Beyond what your average forum member wants. Good to see a healthy number though!
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Another graph!!! Had enough of those the last 19 months Rick :D .
No offence but shouldn't it all be in Black and White and not Blue? i think it would look better.
But other than that Rick, a splendid job you are doing.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

I'll leave the stats out of it and crawl back in my cave :D