Alex Wall (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 15

Mark Sweet

Re: Farnborough v Dartford Sat 12 Nov 2022

Post by Mark Sweet »

M1 South wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:06 am
Mark Sweet wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:24 pm
Hopefully this was just a bad day at the office and not the start of a bad run. A win in midweek against Oxford will certainly help those worries.

MS; I believe the Oxford game is Tuesday week 22nd!!

You're correct, I mis read my app. Gives us some time to regroup and maybe bring in a new face or two for that cover we need.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

Gutted after the good run we’ve been on but the biggest thing for me is how we react now. Easy to be annoyed at that but the lads have a done well recently. We go again .
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match Report by Chris Palmer

FARNBOROUGH 3 DARTFORD 1

Dartford’s excellent form came to an end, after an in-form Farnborough scored three goals in an exciting game at the Easy As HGV Stadium in Hampshire.

Before the action, however, a 2-minutes silence was amicably respected by the 712 supporters at Cherrywood Road in honour of those who had made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom and peace.

The respect continued as we reached the seventh minute, as a minute’s applause took place in honour of Bath City’s Alex Fletcher. The player had suffered a horrific injury during Bath’s mid-week game, and the united love and support showed to Bath’s number seven has been felt across the league.

As we turn to the action, it was a rather even affair during the opening exchanges and Dartford actually created the first meaningful opportunity. A good move in the middle saw space open up for Samir Carruthers, but he couldn’t keep his strike from distance down unfortunately (5).

However, the hosts soon began to gain a firm grip on the game and their high press started to cause problems for the Darts. And, it wasn’t long before Farnborough edged in front… A seemingly harmless ball was excellently intercepted by Jonathon Page’s delightful flick, which found the head of Sam Deering. His header released Hisham Kasimu, who out-muscled Jordan Wynter before tucking the ball beyond Joe Young (19).

Dartford tried to respond, winning a corner and a free-kick within minutes, but neither came to fruition before they found themselves 2-0 down. The goal coming in the 28th minute via the alert Page, who managed to find the target during a goal-mouth scramble after the visitors had failed to clear the initial corner.

Once again, the Darts tried to respond but were unable to convert the corner a minute later as the Farnborough defence remained strong. Their midfield and attack, however, were punishing any mistake made by the visitors, as they began to dominate.

To be honest, Alan Dowson’s side were fortunate to only trail by two goals at the break, as Farnborough threatened to over-run their opponents. They came close once again after 32 minutes, when Wynter’s poor back-pass left Joe Young in no-man’s land. Thankfully, the ball flew just wide of the far post, and Dartford breathed a sigh of relief.

Maxwell Statham then stepped up to make a superb goal-line clearance (34), before Connor Essam earned himself a yellow card for a late challenge with eight minutes of the half remaining.

Clearly unhappy with his side’s first-half display, Alan Dowson’s made an immediate double change at the start of the second-half. Kristian Campbell and Davide Rodari came on to replace Keiran Murtagh and Charlie Sheringham, as the visitors looked to get themselves back in the game.

Dartford started this half better and came close in the 49th minute, after a driving run by Jack Smith saw him try to find Rodari with a great ball… only for the hosts to intercept it!

Two minutes later saw Farnborough in action at the other end, where they came close to extending their lead twice within a few minutes… the latter of which saw Kevin Lokko’s flicked header fly narrowly wide of Young’s upright (51).

The Darts did eventually pull themselves back into the game after a good strike by Smith had forced a corner. Luke Coulson whipped the ball into the box and Campbell got on the end of it to bury an excellent header beyond goalkeeper Jack Turner in the 65th minute.

The hosts responded and won a free-kick in a dangerous position after Rodari had committed the foul. The Dartford player was booked by referee Mr Dale Wootton, and Olly Pendleberry restored his side’s two-goal advantage with a delightful free-kick which left Joe Young with no chance (70).

Alan Dowson then threw on Alex Wall to replace Jordan Wynter (72) in the hope of trying to salvage something from the game, but it wasn’t to be. The closest they came was when Pierre Fonkeu was fouled on the edge of the Farnborough box in the 85th minute. Substitute Wall took the free-kick, but the Farnborough defensive wall held firm as the hosts saw out the game.

The result sees Dartford’s 11-game unbeaten run in the league come to an end. They remain in second place in the National League South table, but results elsewhere sees the challenge for promotion remain ultra competitive.

TEAMS

FARNBOROUGH: Jack Turner, Jack Ball, Ollie Robinson, Kevin Lokko (c), Sam Deering, Olly Pendleberry, Reggie Young, Hisham Kasimu, Jonathon Page, Selim Saied, Jordan Norville-Williams.

SUBSTITUTES: Freddie Grant, CJ Fearn, Shae Hutchinson, Michael Fernandes, Omar Rowe.

DARTFORD: Joe Young, Jordan Wynter, Samir Carruthers, Connor Essam (c), Luke Coulson, Keiran Murtagh, Maxwell Statham, Jack Smith, Pierre Fonkeu, Charlie Sheringham, Sam Odaudu.

SUBSTITUTES: Kristian Campbell, Alex Wall, Davide Rodari, Tom Wray, Josh Johnson.

By Chris Palmer
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Gutted we lost, as I wanted the run to last through until May, but someone on here said Farnborough were on their own unbeaten run, so it would have been a great win but not an unexpected defeat.
We're still flying high.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Disappointing, of course, and the match report in Rick's post is an accurate assessment. We missed Tom's passion and leadership more than I thought, but we did look better at the back in the second half with Kristian coming in at left-back and Sam moving to the middle and Jordan back to where he had done so well in recent games. Up front we created very little against a solid defence, though Jack and Pierre were always looking for ways through.

Ref had a good game getting the important decisions and cards right, and letting the game flow. Otherwise not much to say, except that disappointment is all part of supporting the Darts, making successes all the more sweet.

My first visit there, but as with my other two first away visits this season, we lost. Should I go next week?
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Tony H wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:59 am I was convinced Dowse would bring Ben Gerring in after he was released by Weymouth midweek! We’ll see.
Wasn’t going to leave it that lol, especially after listening to Dowse’s post-match interview.

We’ve come an awful long way since that first couple of months and there’s no way we were going to extend this fantastic unbeaten run through to the end of the season. Yes, we were disappointing yesterday and, yes, we missed Tom and perhaps yesterdays game illustrated our lack in depth. We don’t become a bad team overnight!!!!

Fact - we beaten by a very good side and good luck to them. It’s all about us now and how we react. Just wish next Saturday was a league game.

Finally, as somebody has already said, the ref was good yesterday and probably the best we’ve seen so far this season.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

KST says we ought to have brought in a center back as Bonner was suspended. I feel we should have brought one in long before that and another defender also. With Bonner and Essam getting booked left, right and center each week it was inevitable we were going to be without one of them at some point. B & E were getting to comfortable and they needed a challenge.
Having only seen the highlights, Jordan had a mare and not many others helped the situation. We got walloped, no denying it, but it's not the end of the world. Just a wake up call to Dowse about depth of squad. There isn't any.
Need a response next game.
COYD's
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Our great run had to come to an end at some time and we can have no complaints as Farnborough were the better team on the day and deserved the victory. I knew they were on a good run but didn't realise how good as they've now gone top of the form guide so this was never going to be an easy game.

With Tom out we made a few changes but looked disorganised, off the pace and could easily have been further behind at HT.
Second half we did improve but in all honesty there was only going to be one winner.

Most disappointing thing was In previous games when we haven't been at our best we've always been difficult to break down and competed but yesterday this was not the case.

MOTM really difficult. Can see why Kristian is leading the vote or maybe Joe as he didn't do much wrong but still not sure who to vote for though.

I think a Cup game next week is good as it will be a different challenge and give the players the opportunity to bounce back.

Dowse's interview was honest and i wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes next week.

COYD
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

As the highlights show and Park Life has mentioned, DFC was perilously close to coming into half-time 4-0 down. I had credited Farnborough with putting on a very good performance at the time but looking back, we made several fatal mistakes and just really couldn’t get the gears in motion. The second goal was an utter mess which was an insult to pub team defending.
Kudos to Farnborough, it’s clear to see why they have gone ten games unbeaten - there have some quality players (we’ve locked horns with Deering and Lokko plenty of times), are well drilled and the stadium is looking good. I was surprised to see names on shirts - thought this was just for the full-timers.

Let’s hope we respond well for the Trophy game next weekend.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Totally agree Farnborough fully deserved to beat us and 3-1 even flattered us , no pace [ anywhere] but crucially] in midfield and WHY was JJ not used when he provides that [full time] energy, athleticism and pace , I,m sure Dowse has learned a big lesson yesterday ALSO Dowse bringing Ben Gerring
in ? = well he played [ when in his prime and a very good centre back] for him at at Hampton & Richmond Borough and Woking but since then has been on the slide and most recently released by Weymouth , big decision for Dowse on this [ at least we get to thank him for the stupid hand ball penalty recently ] !!!!!!!!!!

postnote : we noticed the Farnborough 1st team squad were at 1pm eating scrambled eggs on toast , perhaps Dowse should get his pans out and his apron on and do the same for our lads ?????????????
Fred OLness

Post by Fred OLness »

A honest assessment by Dowse.
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Honest as usual, but you never change a winning side!

But we move on!
LA Dart

Post by LA Dart »

Agree with most of the postings on Saturday's game but one question is surely there were more than 712 in the ground ? I think that was the stated attendance but I thought well over 1,000... COYD