Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
No votes
Luke Coulson (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 19

Wookie

Re: Chippenham v Dartford Sat 3 Sep 2022

Post by Wookie »

I’ve managed to zoom in on the penalty and took a screenshot that shows the ball probably did cross the line.
ball.jpg
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Wookie wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:16 am I’ve managed to zoom in the on the penalty and took a screenshot that shows the ball probably did cross the line.

Good effort - BUT - viewed from above (important) it may be evident that the ‘whole of the ball did not cross the whole of the line.’ If any part of the line is obscured by the ball (as seen in goal line technology) it ain’t a goal. I wasn’t there but I’m guessing the lino merely speculated it was a goal and sought the attention be directed on him/her.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Having had a lot of experience over many years as a referee I would say that in that still photo the ball has certainly got nowhere near crossing the line. The whole of the ball has to cross the line and from the angle of the shot there would be a clear large gap between ball and line if it had indeed crossed the line. Next time you are by a football pitch put a ball on the ground and have a little part of the ball still hanging on the line then walk down the field and see how far it looks to be over the line from your new vantage point. Optical illusions spring to mind.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Taunton Dart wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:21 am Having had a lot of experience over many years as a referee I would say that in that still photo the ball has certainly got nowhere near crossing the line. The whole of the ball has to cross the line and from the angle of the shot there would be a clear large gap between ball and line if it had indeed crossed the line. Next time you are by a football pitch put a ball on the ground and have a little part of the ball still hanging on the line then walk down the field and see how far it looks to be over the line from your new vantage point. Optical illusions spring to mind.
Exactly my point. Same here with refereeing experience. In fact, when I was a referee instructor, I used to roll a length of toilet roll across the floor and placed a football so that an inch of it overlapped the toilet roll. Then invited the students to decide ‘goal’ or ‘no goal’ based on their perspective. And then got them to have a closer look. It’s also my opinion that the ball is definitely NOT across the line in that image.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

To Sleightly Deceptive and Taunton Dart - Spot on!!

I was given similar instruction when taking my referees course ( many decades ago now), but the principles have not changed! Assuming that that photo still has captured the furthest point of the ball crossing the line, then the ball has not wholly crossed the line.

Nevertheless, we still seem to be making it difficult for ourselves in conceding late goals at the end of both halves. However, I have to say that games seem to be getting longer and longer at all levels, with added times often reaching 9 minutes nowadays. Are tired legs and loss of concentration a reason for conceding late goals, and not just the Darts.

COYD
Spike

Post by Spike »

A lot of people don't fully understand what being fully over the line means. The ball could be so far over that if viewing from the side there is actually grass showing between the ball and the outside of the line but technically it still doesn't count as having crosed unless the whole circumference is fully over (as you would see if viewing from directly above). The ball is clearly NOT over the line in the photo but it could have been shortly after or before so it doesn't really prove anything either way. Personally I don't think it should have mattered because it wasn't a foul in the first place.