Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
No votes
Luke Coulson (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 19

BrianL

Re: Chippenham v Dartford Sat 3 Sep 2022

Post by BrianL »

It was a nice enough day out to one of the few grounds I've not managed to get to before. Friendly welcome, although rather basic facilities and patchy grass pitch. Good to see Pablo Martinez there and introduced to the crowd before the game, after recovering from his near fatal collapse a few games ago.
However, Chippenham won't often get 3 points as easily. Can't recall a shot on target, or at least one to trouble Joe. Their keeper was the busier. Yet we gifted them a penalty and free kick in the middle on the edge of the box .
Our defensive back four were otherwise sound, and good to have Charlie back after a long lay off. He at least showed some desire and ability to create something, compared to others.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Wasn’t at the game so can’t comment on the performance. But the result speaks for itself. A 4th defeat in 7 games is mid-table form. How/why are we conceding late goals to lose games?????

It’ll be a very very interesting next few days, that’s for sure!

Come what may we move on to next Saturday’s big local derby and we should all get right behind the lads. COYD’s.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

The starting 11 is baffling enough for me? Coulson on the bench?? Herschel missing? Injured I hope, because he should have started up front with Pierre. Wall, Sheringham and Roberts???
Spike

Post by Spike »

Not good enough! That's the bottom line. We pose virtually no threat going forward and keep making mistakes at the back. Poor old Dan Roberts works very hard but simply isn't cut out to be a central striker. We just kept banging long balls up to him and if he won even a single header all day then it must have happened when I was in the toilet and when he did get his two golden chances he sadly missed both. Dan wasn't alone in his struggles, we were woeful at times and just seem devoid of any ideas. The goal that we did get was a good one, but it was manufactured and scored exclusively by 3 of our back 4, Connor, Bonner and (My MOTM) Statham, when they presumably got fed up waiting for something to happen up front and decided to take the matter into their own hands. We did look better when Charlie came on but Wall still looks a million miles away from what he used to be.

I don't think anyone would describe me as negative, usually I'm slammed for being a "rose tinter", but my honest assessment of our squad is that there is a higher chance of us escaping this division via the bottom than at the top. I don't expect EITHER to actually happen, I suspect we'll finish somewhere around 10th-15th, but I honestly don't think it would take much for heads to drop and the wheels to come off completely. I take no pleasure in saying this, I am absolutely gutted about it, but I feel we are at least 5 or 6 quality players short of having a promotion contesting side. I really like Dowse. He's a decent and honest man who wears his heart on his sleeve, but if I'm going to be honest too, I have to say that whilst he has improved a great many things off the pitch, so far his recruitment has been underwhelming and very disappointing.

The results so far have not come as a surprise to a great many Dartford fans. When we travelled down to Bath for the opening game, out of the 4 people in my car, 3 of us were predicting nil-something defeats and the other a 0-0 draw. Not a single one of us expected the Darts to score and not one of us believed we were anywhere close to having a promotion challenging squad. Okay so we were pleasantly surprised with the result on that day, but as time has progressed, our fears and concerns are becoming a reality. We are simply not good enough.

It's not all doom and gloom, we do have a good few quality players in the squad, but it's going to take a fair bit of wheeling and dealing on Dowse's part to fix the problems. In the meantime he continues to get my support and I will be going to all the matches and cheering on the team as usual. It is still early days and there is still time to turn things around. COYD
Last edited by Spike on Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Well said Spike.

I don’t think there’s anyone on here that believes the squad is strong enough, or deep enough, to challenge for promotion at present. What we do have is an experienced manager who was absolutely right for us and, with his back room staff, feel sure he sort things out. What he and the lads need right now is our support - win, lose or draw. COYD’s.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I am still pro Dowse but having identified the problems [ albeit a bit later than his support team advised] he now has to be ruthless and get rid of a
number of the squad who are clearly not good enough for a play of push and use the remaining budget [ were told its not all spent !!] to recruit some class to get us back on track

I think behind the hard exterior Dowse is a bit of a pussycat and sees the best in people but now is the time to show his " claws " !!!!!

Good opportunity on Monday to ask constructive questions [ witchhunt not needed ] at " Meet the Manager "
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

First 30 minutes was not very exciting but we then got into the game and had a spell where we caused them a few problems and took the lead. Going in at HT 1 nil up would have been good but unfortunately we conceded the late penalty. Didn't get a clear view of this so can't comment but I'm sure it was against the same player who was booked earlier for diving in the box so he would have been very brave to do it again. Penalty seemed to go straight at Joe but somehow squirmed under him, hopefully match highlights will give a clearer view of what actually happened.

Second half was more of the same with both teams failing to impress or create many chances but we did create a decent chance and look a bit more threatening when Charlie came on. Not sure why but we played a lot of long balls which came to nothing, hopefully this was partly due to the playing surface which was very poor.

I did say just after half time i was worried Chippenham may grow in confidence if we didn't take control of the game and get the winner but in all honesty if we hadn't conceded the late free kick it looked like neither team was capable, or deserving of the win.

It gives me no pleasure at all to say i predicted pre season the squad wasn't strong enough and two months in we'd be rebuilding it but I do still believe we have a core of good players. However i feel we are well short of quality and quantity and Dowse has got a major job on his hands of strengthening the squad which he mentioned in his post match interview. Feel for him atm as he seems a decent genuine hardworking guy who is also prepared to take full responsibility and although i feel the blame doesn't only rest on his shoulders, recruitment so far has not been good.

MOTM between two players imo. Charlie as he made a difference when he came on but gave it to Statham as he had a steady game and scored.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Always a very balanced view from both Spike and Park Life. Anybody would think you two were related!!

Good to hear some positive commemorate about Charlie’s contribution yesterday too. His experience, and eye for a goal or two, wil be very important to us as we start to build the team. Robbo will learn an awful lot from him - if only they could be paired together.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Tony H wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:49 pm Always a very balanced view from both Spike and Park Life. Anybody would think you two were related!!
If you heard us in the car going to away matches you wouldn't think so :lol: :lol:
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Park Life wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:05 pm
Tony H wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:49 pm Always a very balanced view from both Spike and Park Life. Anybody would think you two were related!!
If you heard us in the car going to away matches you wouldn't think so :lol: :lol:
Priceless! 😂😂
dartfordknight

Post by dartfordknight »

I wasnt there yesterday but not surprised with the comments , I think I said before as others have also said , you could see pre season we were weaker. If Dowse is as experienced as he is why couldn't he see it ???? I think all of his signings are weaker than the players we had last season , he needs to act very quickly or this season will be a disaster and attendances will fall very quickly , I for one am not encouraged as a season ticket holder to turn up for cup matches to watch what we have seen so far. I hope things change and hopefully at least 5-6 players are shown the door.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Well I have seen all three away games in the South West as they are the nearest games to me all season. First of all I like the appointment of Dowse as manager and really appreciate the openness of his interviews. However yesterday's defeat at Chippenham only accentuated my thoughts after the opening day win at Bath.

The team has some excellent players in it and the defence looks solid enough - the main problem is that are spending nearly all the match mopping up and defending as we have no bite in midfield whatsoever. Further forward we have shown very little sign of being able to take teams apart with any attacking play. Pierre did well when alongside Rodari but is not an out-and-out striker - so we need some real leadership of the line.

IMHO defence starts from the front of the team. We need to have a striker who can lead the line and hold up the ball, especially as most of the time the ball is being hit up in the air to the front. Dan is a winger and no target man but yesterday the Chippenham central defenders had a benefit match as they were able to win every aerial challenge until the substitutions were made - the only time they lost was our goal when Tom Bonner got on the end of a fantastic cross from Connor (our other central defender!) and headed back across the face of the goal. Our MOM was on the end to finish - so do we expect the defence to provide all our threat? Charlie came on and immediately showed far more passion for the cause than anyone else I have seen up front. If we have a fit Charlie then things can improve as he was really effective. Alex Wall on the other hand seemed to spend more time standing around watching and having nasty little niggling digs at people as he was so far off the pace......this brings me on to my main concern. The midfield had nobody able to get their foot in and disrupt pay and players spent too much time in trying fancy turns across field in the middle of the park, and normally losing to a challenge, than they did in creating opportunities to get forward. Carruthers was certainly missed in the middle of the park! The reason we are conceding goals late in each half is fitness. Over many years we have been one of, if not the, fittest side in the league. This is not the case this season. Certain players, as always wear their heart on their sleeve and give everything for the cause but if our defence is under pressure for 90 minutes then sooner or later a mistake will be made. Both goals scored by Chippenham were soft and gifted to them. Not sure about the penalty as their player was falling over at every opportunity - on the law of averages, even after being booked, the ref was going to give one in his favour - but the penalty straight at our goalie should have been saved. The late free kick on the edge of the box was really well taken - but the tackle to give the free kick left a bit to be desired in such a dangerous position.

After the game I was left thinking what a number of players are actually doing on the pitch - are they fit? Are they up for the cause? Our long-term players like Tom, Connor and Charlie showed the way, the youngsters who have come through the system played with passion and are learning but some of the others seem to just be turning up.

Another thought is that for the three games in the South West the team have stayed overnight, is that a wise expenditure given the fact that they run out of steam each half.

Dowse - I am sure that you will sort things out and that the team will improve as the club is undoubtedly doing under your stewardship but there need to be some urgent additions to a squad - oh for the days of Jamie Day, Lee Noble and Burnsy, not to mention Captain Fantastic Bradbrook! In those days if we left a ground having lost we knew a win was around the corner - not so sure of this at the moment.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

Taunton Dart wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:39 pm Well I have seen all three away games in the South West as they are the nearest games to me all season. First of all I like the appointment of Dowse as manager and really appreciate the openness of his interviews. However yesterday's defeat at Chippenham only accentuated my thoughts after the opening day win at Bath.

The team has some excellent players in it and the defence looks solid enough - the main problem is that are spending nearly all the match mopping up and defending as we have no bite in midfield whatsoever. Further forward we have shown very little sign of being able to take teams apart with any attacking play. Pierre did well when alongside Rodari but is not an out-and-out striker - so we need some real leadership of the line.

IMHO defence starts from the front of the team. We need to have a striker who can lead the line and hold up the ball, especially as most of the time the ball is being hit up in the air to the front. Dan is a winger and no target man but yesterday the Chippenham central defenders had a benefit match as they were able to win every aerial challenge until the substitutions were made - the only time they lost was our goal when Tom Bonner got on the end of a fantastic cross from Connor (our other central defender!) and headed back across the face of the goal. Our MOM was on the end to finish - so do we expect the defence to provide all our threat? Charlie came on and immediately showed far more passion for the cause than anyone else I have seen up front. If we have a fit Charlie then things can improve as he was really effective. Alex Wall on the other hand seemed to spend more time standing around watching and having nasty little niggling digs at people as he was so far off the pace......this brings me on to my main concern. The midfield had nobody able to get their foot in and disrupt pay and players spent too much time in trying fancy turns across field in the middle of the park, and normally losing to a challenge, than they did in creating opportunities to get forward. Carruthers was certainly missed in the middle of the park! The reason we are conceding goals late in each half is fitness. Over many years we have been one of, if not the, fittest side in the league. This is not the case this season. Certain players, as always wear their heart on their sleeve and give everything for the cause but if our defence is under pressure for 90 minutes then sooner or later a mistake will be made. Both goals scored by Chippenham were soft and gifted to them. Not sure about the penalty as their player was falling over at every opportunity - on the law of averages, even after being booked, the ref was going to give one in his favour - but the penalty straight at our goalie should have been saved. The late free kick on the edge of the box was really well taken - but the tackle to give the free kick left a bit to be desired in such a dangerous position.

After the game I was left thinking what a number of players are actually doing on the pitch - are they fit? Are they up for the cause? Our long-term players like Tom, Connor and Charlie showed the way, the youngsters who have come through the system played with passion and are learning but some of the others seem to just be turning up.

Another thought is that for the three games in the South West the team have stayed overnight, is that a wise expenditure given the fact that they run out of steam each half.

Dowse - I am sure that you will sort things out and that the team will improve as the club is undoubtedly doing under your stewardship but there need to be some urgent additions to a squad - oh for the days of Jamie Day, Lee Noble and Burnsy, not to mention Captain Fantastic Bradbrook! In those days if we left a ground having lost we knew a win was around the corner - not so sure of this at the moment.

Like a few others and the club you need to really move on
Kebabus

Post by Kebabus »

Not much changes, we lost there last season with SK's superstars!

I'm not throwing the towel in though and recognise we are in a transitional rebuilding phase, (cliche excuses).

As a fan it's disappointing to hear that we are many miles away from having a squad to challenge.

We have to get up for our game against Bus Stop fc where Azeez is on fire.....
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

KentC. wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:04 pm Like a few others and the club you need to really move on
KentC - proves that you don't actually read anything other than what you want to. I never said that we want those players back now - just people who give as much to the cause as they did, in the way they did. We have nothing to match in this current team for passion, bite and vision that those players displayed.

Dowse is the present, and hopefully has a long future at the club - but certainly it is not all roses with the current squad.

If he had been on longer Charlie Sheringham would have been a strong contender for MOM and that is just after returning from injury.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

KentC. wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:04 pm
Taunton Dart wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:39 pm Well I have seen all three away games in the South West as they are the nearest games to me all season. First of all I like the appointment of Dowse as manager and really appreciate the openness of his interviews. However yesterday's defeat at Chippenham only accentuated my thoughts after the opening day win at Bath.

Like a few others and the club you need to really move on
Bit harsh? Thought it was quite a good read.
KingKong

Post by KingKong »

I agree...good post.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Me too, thanks TauntonDart👍
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Absolutely spot on!
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

I am also 100% with Taunton Darts post !!!