Pre season friendly Canvey Island v Dartford Sat 30th July 2022 at 3pm

BRASSNECK

Re: Pre season friendly Canvey Island v Dartford Sat 30th July 2022 at 3pm

Post by BRASSNECK »

Lennylenny wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:47 am Reacting as he made a squad that wouldn’t strike fear into dartford 5th scouts seconds. If he was brought into the club to oversee the academy , drink ten
Pints in the bar and be a likeable yes man, then he is the man r for the job.,if he was brought into get us into the conference I think , by December there probably have to be a rethink
Sounds like you have been hacked by Reg I wonder what happened to him.😂😂
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Surely, the thing is that Dowse has experience of winning promotion from this level, and holding his own at National League level. Steve King has never quite managed to achieve that, despite several near misses, and to be honest, I became somewhat confused by his team selections, tactics and player turnover policies last year.
So very happy to see what Dowse and his experience brings us over 46 games. Plus of course cup runs.
It's going to be a tricky opening game, and I am not expecting us to gallop off as we did last season, because the National and North and South seem to be getting tougher year by year.

COYD
KingKong

Post by KingKong »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:39 am Sounds like Dowse is signing the No 18 trialist from todays game, he only played the 1st half today but scored against
Boreham Wood.
He’s also bringing in 2 loanee’s this week from higher league clubs.
That is Pierre Fonkeu 5th..was at hemel last season.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

PeteSamson wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:49 am Surely, the thing is that Dowse has experience of winning promotion from this level, and holding his own at National League level. Steve King has never quite managed to achieve that, despite several near misses, and to be honest, I became somewhat confused by his team selections, tactics and player turnover policies last year.
So very happy to see what Dowse and his experience brings us over 46 games. Plus of course cup runs.
It's going to be a tricky opening game, and I am not expecting us to gallop off as we did last season, because the National and North and South seem to be getting tougher year by year.

COYD
Whilst I agree with most of what you’ve said there Pete, I’m pretty sure Kingy got Lewes promoted to the National League 🤔
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

KingKong wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:46 am
The 5th Searcher wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:39 am Sounds like Dowse is signing the No 18 trialist from todays game, he only played the 1st half today but scored against
Boreham Wood.
Just googled Pierre, played 11 times for Hemel and scored twice but that seems like the only two goals his scored over the last few seasons, that must be wrong worrying if it’s not
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

JCJ wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:06 pm
KingKong wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:46 am
Boreham Wood.
Just googled Pierre, played 11 times for Hemel and scored twice but that seems like the only two goals his scored over the last few seasons, that must be wrong worrying if it’s not

Not sure how up to date those stats are to be honest, apparently Dinanga only had 5 in 39 before he joined us last season and he seemed to do alright!!

I do believe we will have a slow start but kick on 2nd part of the season, rebuilding a squad that burnt through 50 players last season was never going to be able to be done in 1 pre season, especially when Dowse didn't even have a full pre season.
Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

Tho agree Peter with your observations on last year , king not only gained promotion from this league but won it with Lewes He has held his own in conference with Macclesfield even leading them to I think a fourth round fa cup match losing to the eventual winners Wigan. I wish dowson well just stating I think the squad is lacking in attacking ability and goals and that without additions in
my mind it shows that those in charge would settle for mid table this year.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

In response to TonyH and Lennylenny, I stand corrected on SK achieving promotion with Lewes (in 2007/8) into the National League, but I am not sure he stayed with them in the NL as I thought he moved to
Northwich Victoria (who were having their own financial problems at that time) at the end of Oct 08. And if he did stay at Lewes until then, it took them until their 12th game to get their first win under their belt. So although Lewes did very well to achieve promotion, that success didn't carry on in the National. Whilst SK did manage in the NL at Northwich, it was only from Nov 08 to Feb 09 when he resigned with Northwich 2nd to bottom. And at Macclesfield, SK did indeed take them to well merited victories over Swindon and Cardiff, but was sacked before the end of the season.
So I stand by my comments, even though it might have been difficult times at and for those clubs at those points in time, and the facts he stayed less than a year at each of those clubs. I have to say I wasn't really aware of his times up north as a manager either and only became aware of him in recent seasons.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Unfortunately Peter, its too much for some people to accept that SK has gone. I certainly won't miss his revolving door policy and running a team that was detached from the rest of the club.
Kebabus

Post by Kebabus »

So the friendlies have finished now and the real stuff begins. I haven't got a crystal ball so will refrain from writing us off b4 a competitive game has taken place.

I know we have experienced players in the spine and strikers who are proven.

Carruthers/Coulson and Murtagh are decent midfielders.

I say get behind the lads and be optimistic in the new Dowson era