Good Manager need to sort team out now
Mark Sweet

Re: NEW FIRST TEAM MANAGER: ALAN DOWSON

Post by Mark Sweet »

Get in there.
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Good appointment, hope he can get to grips with the team he has a very tough job!
KingKong

Post by KingKong »

Good luck Alan.
Disco Stu

Post by Disco Stu »

Happy with that appointment. Maybe Dowson will bring Martin Tyler with him. That’s the tannoy announcer sorted too…”it’s LIVE”
Princes Park

Post by Princes Park »

Happy with that
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Very happy with that appointment, let’s hope he can get down to business straight away talking to some of the current squad and then bring in some new players.
A very experienced manager with lots of contacts.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Good appointment decently a step.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Great news. But I said that last time! 😆
Spike

Post by Spike »

Good choice. Very pleased with that. We'll need an interpreter though.
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

He done an exceptional job for Woking and was eventually sacked for what Woking deemed a poor season in the National ? Apparently he wasn’t happy with the way they informed him of his dismissal (a 20 second phone call apparently? ) and has now washed his hands off that club. Welcome to Dartford Alan ,we wish you well .
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

A real football man with a big heart and a very good pedigree and above all an actual winner , I have followed him on Wokings site and he did a weekly [ friday] interview for the fans to keep them updated which I hope he will continue at the Darts as this is something that has been sadly lacking lacking for a number of years
Top marks to the Board for this appointment !!!!
Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card »

Hi all. Woking fan in peace!

Reporting in as a big Dowse fan - he did exceptional work at this level in his first season. Took a team which had a top ten budget, brought in 'bouncers' - players that set the tone in the dressing room, who he knows well - and took us up first time of asking, with the best FA Cup run in 25 years to boot. Took that part-time team and had it flirting with playoffs in the National League in season two.

In season three, COVID hit, and we essentially withdrew all funds as of mid-Jan - hence the catastrophic drop-off that year, which Dowse hated. Season 4, we started superbly, but then had the first unjustifably bad run under his tenure, which led to his dismissal.

The good stuff: you're getting an unsurpassed community manager. The man is obsessed with bringing in the local people to be part of the club. He will go and speak to local businesses himself if he thinks it'll help the club, he'll get involved with any schemes that help get kids and families into the ground on a matchday, and he's approachable as anyone at this level. He'll want the community to rally around the club, and he'll graft night and day to make that happen. if you're on the fence, go and talk to him, and see what you make of him.

In footballing terms, the profile of players he brings in is exactly what you need in the NLS. He loves huge, no-nonsense defenders, small tricky wingers, and has a good record when it comes to permanent strikers: Jake Hyde (27 in 60), Inih Effiong (13 in 40 and the run of any defender), Tahvon Campbell (16 in 21?!)

The bad stuff: while I'm in the minority, the majority will tell you that his football isn't pretty. He stuck with a back five this year prior to his sacking, and on going back to a back four, five or six of our players have inadvertantly said "now we've switched system, we understand our roles much better." Make of that what you will.

The other stuff: he's heavy on player turnover - if it's not working, he'll get someone else. He used the best part of 100 players at Woking in just 3.5 seasons, despite being full-time for the last season! That's a good thing if he gets the right players in, but you'll end up giving him some stick if two or three on the trot don't come good.

Historically, he is almost invincible in August/September, and then drops off towards Christmas. It happened every year - in the COVID season, we started with a pathetic budget of £200,000 and five loan starters, and still won almost all of our games in that time. It's whether he can pull you out of the mid-season slump that seems to dictate your final position.

Also, get someone to translate his interviews, so you can properly discuss them on a forum thread. I did it on the Woking forum for years. he'd check in every week, even to his detriment, and deserves praise for it. Lots of people don't have time to watch, but want to read - it'd be worth someone amongst yourselves nominating a transcriber, if anyone's fluent in Geordie.

Best of luck to him, and to you.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Looks a good appointment and arguably the best available candidate.
Well done to the club for acting quickly as we will need to get the ball rolling asap on player retentions and signings.
I doubt Dowse will have his phone off even though he may be taking a well earned break so looking forward to the next few weeks with player updates.

Good luck Dowse and welcome to DFC.

COYD
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Great insight sir, thank you 👍
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

….I do remember him as a player with Walton & Hersham. I officiated on one or two of those games - he was a no-nonesense centre half I recall.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Welcome to the World that is Princes Park.

Just seen a photo of Alan Dowson stood and strapped on top of an aeroplane raising funds for a Woking charity, so here's looking forward to him taking the Darts sky high too! Seems well into community activities and being involved with the fans. He knows both the Conference and the NLS well and used to working to a limited and acceptable budget at Woking and would be expected to have some good player contacts too.

This appointment should keep the fans happy and well done to the board in bringing Dowse to the club in a timely manner.

Now to remind myself to renew my season ticket early, although that was on the cards anyway, irrespective of what has happened over the past week. Certainly an opportunity for others who were wavering on renewing to now go ahead and renew and get behind our new manager.

COYD
Skip

Post by Skip »

Chobham Card wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:07 pm Hi all. Woking fan in peace!

Reporting in as a big Dowse fan - he did exceptional work at this level in his first season. Took a team which had a top ten budget, brought in 'bouncers' - players that set the tone in the dressing room, who he knows well - and took us up first time of asking, with the best FA Cup run in 25 years to boot. Took that part-time team and had it flirting with playoffs in the National League in season two.

In season three, COVID hit, and we essentially withdrew all funds as of mid-Jan - hence the catastrophic drop-off that year, which Dowse hated. Season 4, we started superbly, but then had the first unjustifably bad run under his tenure, which led to his dismissal.

The good stuff: you're getting an unsurpassed community manager. The man is obsessed with bringing in the local people to be part of the club. He will go and speak to local businesses himself if he thinks it'll help the club, he'll get involved with any schemes that help get kids and families into the ground on a matchday, and he's approachable as anyone at this level. He'll want the community to rally around the club, and he'll graft night and day to make that happen. if you're on the fence, go and talk to him, and see what you make of him.

In footballing terms, the profile of players he brings in is exactly what you need in the NLS. He loves huge, no-nonsense defenders, small tricky wingers, and has a good record when it comes to permanent strikers: Jake Hyde (27 in 60), Inih Effiong (13 in 40 and the run of any defender), Tahvon Campbell (16 in 21?!)

The bad stuff: while I'm in the minority, the majority will tell you that his football isn't pretty. He stuck with a back five this year prior to his sacking, and on going back to a back four, five or six of our players have inadvertantly said "now we've switched system, we understand our roles much better." Make of that what you will.

The other stuff: he's heavy on player turnover - if it's not working, he'll get someone else. He used the best part of 100 players at Woking in just 3.5 seasons, despite being full-time for the last season! That's a good thing if he gets the right players in, but you'll end up giving him some stick if two or three on the trot don't come good.

Historically, he is almost invincible in August/September, and then drops off towards Christmas. It happened every year - in the COVID season, we started with a pathetic budget of £200,000 and five loan starters, and still won almost all of our games in that time. It's whether he can pull you out of the mid-season slump that seems to dictate your final position.

Also, get someone to translate his interviews, so you can properly discuss them on a forum thread. I did it on the Woking forum for years. he'd check in every week, even to his detriment, and deserves praise for it. Lots of people don't have time to watch, but want to read - it'd be worth someone amongst yourselves nominating a transcriber, if anyone's fluent in Geordie.

Best of luck to him, and to you.
Wow, thanks for the appraisal. At least we have a bit of an idea of what to expect. I see that he has got three of his sides promoted over the years; Kingstonian, Hampton and yourselves at Woking. Well, if it can make us his fourth success then most will be satisfied. And do you know what a cup run would be a bonus. We haven’t beaten a league side since the late 60s when football was still broadcast in black and white. Anyhow, I’m pleased with the appointment and will look forward to the preseason friendlies with interest.
Skip (now residing in Suffolk)