Should we go full time if the finances allow?

Harry

Re: Should we go full time if the finances allow?

Post by Harry »

I very much doubt full time is possible, if it were then I expect we would be full time already.

There are several local clubs such as Bromley and Sutton who have gone full time and had real success in recent seasons, there are also clubs such as Dulwich, Dover and Havant who will be in a similar position (league) to us currently.

There are no guarantees but with clubs in the league above operating as full time clubs if we do achieve promotion it will be an achievement to survive more than a couple of seasons in the national league.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

Harry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 pm I very much doubt full time is possible, if it were then I expect we would be full time already.

There are several local clubs such as Bromley and Sutton who have gone full time and had real success in recent seasons, there are also clubs such as Dulwich, Dover and Havant who will be in a similar position (league) to us currently.

There are no guarantees but with clubs in the league above operating as full time clubs if we do achieve promotion it will be an achievement to survive more than a couple of seasons in the national league.

So the question is will we ever go part time in any situation?
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

What exactly is "full time"? Looking at a couple of teams who finished above us, they appear to train 3 mornings per week as opposed to our 2 evenings per week. This doesn't seem too much of a step up but if this results in a 5% increase on performances and results, then I'm all for it. These small margins could make all the difference and I can't see it making too much of an impact on our finances, SK would just need to trim the squad numbers down to an acceptable level. However, we would probably lose a few players who won't be able to commit.

I hope the club makes an early call on the subject and I'm looking already looking forward to seeing the retained/ released player list.
rambo

Post by rambo »

We need ambition to be promoted and to go full time otherwise what is the point of it all
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

rambo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:58 pm We need ambition to be promoted and to go full time otherwise what is the point of it all
100% agree with this. We need to make the right noises to keep fans' interest. If it's just the same ol' every season of nearly getting out of the National League South, floating non-league fans will spend their money at one of our rivals. Really think we are getting to make or break time at Dartford.
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:36 am
rambo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:58 pm We need ambition to be promoted and to go full time otherwise what is the point of it all
100% agree with this. We need to make the right noises to keep fans' interest. If it's just the same ol' every season of nearly getting out of the National League South, floating non-league fans will spend their money at one of our rivals. Really think we are getting to make or break time at Dartford.

I wouldn’t know if you’re one of the younger generation of fans that support DFC ? but many of the older generation have supported this club through thick and thin (some as many as 70+years ) I myself have supported the The Darts for over 50+ years , and many of us have had the same aspirations for our club as you have now ? But the Club is now 134 years old and we have been more or less at this level for most of that time , and sometimes like many other clubs in the same position as us, you just have to accept that this is about as best it will get ? Yes we have had a brief spell at the top level back in the day in the Gola league and more recently under TB in the National and yes we excelled in the first season and attendances were up on average mainly because the likes of Luton and Bristol Rovers bringing vast numbers , but the inevitable happened and we eventually were relegated like many of the other clubs that have gone before and after us . The idea of going full time as been spouted around since I was a kid ,so it’s nothing new ? I do think we have a fantastic setup at Dartford and I believe the Club are ambitious , but ambition comes at a price and none of us are privy to the financial side of things ? We are a well run club without the backing of a rich benefactor, unlike most of the teams occupying the National league ? So basically we are what we are , a club without a sugar daddy and being run by a board of old Darts fans doing a fantastic job in getting this club back to where we are now ,considering where we were back in 92 ? So we can all wish for greater success and giddy heights , but it does come at a cost ,and like us older fans who have dreamed of that day since we were kids , I wouldn’t get to excited even if we went full time , because at the end of the day we are just another small fish in a very big pond .
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Top Cat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:50 am

I wouldn’t know if you’re one of the younger generation of fans that support DFC ? but many of the older generation have supported this club through thick and thin (some as many as 70+years ) I myself have supported the The Darts for over 50+ years , and many of us have had the same aspirations for our club as you have now ? But the Club is now 134 years old and we have been more or less at this level for most of that time , and sometimes like many other clubs in the same position as us, you just have to accept that this is about as best it will get ? Yes we have had a brief spell at the top level back in the day in the Gola league and more recently under TB in the National and yes we excelled in the first season and attendances were up on average mainly because the likes of Luton and Bristol Rovers bringing vast numbers , but the inevitable happened and we eventually were relegated like many of the other clubs that have gone before and after us . The idea of going full time as been spouted around since I was a kid ,so it’s nothing new ? I do think we have a fantastic setup at Dartford and I believe the Club are ambitious , but ambition comes at a price and none of us are privy to the financial side of things ? We are a well run club without the backing of a rich benefactor, unlike most of the teams occupying the National league ? So basically we are what we are , a club without a sugar daddy and being run by a board of old Darts fans doing a fantastic job in getting this club back to where we are now ,considering where we were back in 92 ? So we can all wish for greater success and giddy heights , but it does come at a cost ,and like us older fans who have dreamed of that day since we were kids , I wouldn’t get to excited even if we went full time , because at the end of the day we are just another small fish in a very big pond .
Wise-words here. In response, I'm far from what you'd refer to as a younger generation of supporter these days (my body sure doesn't feel like it) but also not been around following the team for as long as you have. My hat off to you for that.

While I appreciate that the idea of full-time is not a new one, I think it needs to happen. I accept that as it stands, this is probably the best we can hope for (or at a push we go up to the non-league top flight and then struggle for a season against those who act in a full-time setting).

I am not one that thinks we should just accept our lots in life. We should always try and better ourselves and that comes with the football teams we follow also. I'm not suggesting we are going to be making inroads up the Football League. That's a massive step, but we should be having more success at least being in the top flight of the non-league game. Next season included will be eight seasons in a row at National League South level.

I know we need to do things in a responsible way and a way that doesn't jeopardise the future of Dartford FC. But when I see other clubs who have been at - or around - our level (Bromley, Maidstone United both in the National League and the likes of Sutton United who have managed to get to League Two and establish themselves this season as well as Forest Green Rovers who will be playing League One football next season) then I think we do need to be more brave when it comes to change at the club and not just do things in a certain way because that's how we've always done them. Progress is a risk, but for me, a risk worth taking.
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

SKennedyDFC wrote: ↑

I know we need to do things in a responsible way and a way that doesn't jeopardise the future of Dartford FC. But when I see other clubs who have been at - or around - our level (Bromley, Maidstone United both in the National League and the likes of Sutton United who have managed to get to League Two and establish themselves this season as well as Forest Green Rovers who will be playing League One football next season) then I think we do need to be more brave when it comes to change at the club and not just do things in a certain way because that's how we've always done them. Progress is a risk, but for me, a risk worth taking.

SK this was the point I was making , those clubs you have mentioned are all owned or run by rich businessmen , with Forest Green owned by a man who has over a £100 million fortune ? And it’s no coincidence that the two teams playing for a playoff place have both got wealthy financial backing ?
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Top Cat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:41 pm SKennedyDFC wrote: ↑

SK this was the point I was making , those clubs you have mentioned are all owned or run by rich businessmen , with Forest Green owned by a man who has over a £100 million fortune ? And it’s no coincidence that the two teams playing for a playoff place have both got wealthy financial backing ?
Then maybe that's the next step we should be looking at? This board have done a great job getting us to this point, but maybe we need fresh investment from someone with more financial muscle to come in now to take Dartford forward.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Suggestions on a postcard please.
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:45 pm
Top Cat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:41 pm SKennedyDFC wrote: ↑

Then maybe that's the next step we should be looking at? This board have done a great job getting us to this point, but maybe we need fresh investment from someone with more financial muscle to come in now to take Dartford forward.
If someone comes in with more money, they will want to have a bigger say in the club, and my understanding is that when Dartford was brought back to life after we lost the ground that that wasn’t possible. No one person can own the club, so I think that you are stuck with the current setup and for me that works.
The board have done an excellent job getting us to where we are the year fleetwood got promoted to the football league they lost £2.9 million. And I don’t know if anyone who has that £2.9 million in their back pocket!
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

I know a lot has been said about Steve King but looking at his stats he does have a very healthy 52.5% win rate across the league games for this season.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Jagger & Richards maybe??
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Undercover Elephant wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:15 pm I know a lot has been said about Steve King but looking at his stats he does have a very healthy 52.5% win rate across the league games for this season.
Shame that win rate goes out the window when we get into the play-offs
rambo

Post by rambo »

Someone asked if I was a new young fan , sadly not I am 67 and been a staunch fan of the club since about 1977 and totally in love with the club
I am very conservative with a small c and not advocating reckless spending at all
I am asking the club to create a situation that makes more money so the club can have a real stab at making the national and staying there
Tbh no club can sustain national league without being full time imo
Every avenue to make the club more money should be explored
As far as I can see the board are becoming more commercially minded and I believe they must continue this path with the aim of promotion and full time manager and players
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

We can go up as a part-time club but would need to implement a very different business model to operate at National League level (I.e. full-time).

So far as attendances are concerned, we already attract bigger crowds than many at National League level and that certainly isn’t an issue.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Can I just say I don’t know that the answer is?
DFCTALK

Post by DFCTALK »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:35 pm
Undercover Elephant wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:15 pm I know a lot has been said about Steve King but looking at his stats he does have a very healthy 52.5% win rate across the league games for this season.
Shame that win rate goes out the window when we get into the play-offs
63% if you include all ties. Mr Kennedy please look before you leap. Im starting to think that you are a plant friendly with people who ..... well are out to simply discredit the guy some from within the confines. But of course you will deny that and come up with its only MO. There are a few about who from day one have been anti Steve King. Again at high levels. Madness. And in truth its sickening. Hateful in truth really horrible. You said you dont like him. Do you know him ? The bloke guarantees play offs. I cant think of anyone who can say that. And before you go on about playoff records most of those teams had no damn right to even being close to a play off position. As for an earlier knock from you, goodness knows there are so many, footballing espionage i call it, what was your stance on academy players moving on without Steve king using/noticing. Whatever the term was im intrigued as to who you meant. Please the floor is all yours.
P.s. BAWArmy has made some very good points over the months. If anyone truthfully feels he is out to discredit steve king and/or the club then follow Mr Kennedy and the people he speaks for and on behalf. And before anyone says anything its IMO.
rambo

Post by rambo »

Agree with DFCTALK 100%
We cannot get a better manager than Steve King stick with him , no other manager could have done what he has done in the last three seasons, we have challenged until the last game with Steve
DFCTALK

Post by DFCTALK »

rambo wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:11 pm Agree with DFCTALK 100%
We cannot get a better manager than Steve King stick with him , no other manager could have done what he has done in the last three seasons, we have challenged until the last game with Steve
You see what you are doing there Rambo is talking fact. Fact cannot be denied. People will go on about player numbers. For goodness sake 5 left backs who were injured or had to be replaced. Other injuries. Some youth team used in games.
Marc white gets praise for keeping the faith. He sarted the season with 28 players. Not fringe players but players on a massive whack he has a huge source of funds. Now 6 get injured and he still has two teams. We lose 6 because of our correct budget we cant fill the bench. Its horses for courses. And dont say use the academy they are miles of it totally miles.The club sold 3 players including our best player. But thats ok we have some more money. Brilliant. Crazy that one for me. Top at Christmas i know we will sell our best player. Hidden agendas all over the place at DFc. Of course thats only MO it doesnt make it correct.

Also in truth my comment on the academy being miles of it isnt totally fair. What i mean by that is every team in our league do not use academy players. Maybe the odd one or two players. The reason being is this league is practically (certainly the top 1/4 or 3rd) becoming an off shoot of the national premier. You couldnt thrust kids into teams in this league. They would be out of their depth