No votes
Jordan Greenidge (Sub)
3%

Total votes: 36

SKennedyDFC

Re: Dartford v Chippenham Thu 12 May 2022 19:45

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Mark Sweet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:10 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:57 pm Seriously bad performance that. Tactics were all wrong. Time for King to go. Can always guarantee a failure in the playoffs with him in charge.
Give it a rest, his first full season in charge. Yes it's disappointing but we don't want to be chopping and changing managers every season if we don't go up.
But it's fine to be chopping and changing players in the team every week? Stick with King this club goes nowhere.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

As a matter of interest, how many of the players Kingy has brought in are (still?) on loan with us, and who are they?
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I didn't think we played as bad as some of the posts suggest and I would have started with more or less the same team, maybe, I would started without our holding midfield player. Unfortunately, we up against a team who have probably got the best fullbacks in this division and a team who put their bodies on the line. I certainly can't fault our commitment and effort, we just fell short against the better team on the evening. We also got into some really good positions but the final ball, poor corners/free-kicks and plus our failure to hit the target cost us. My only gripe would be how a couple of senior players didn't step up to take a penalty, one of them in particular!

So congratulations to Chippenham and hope they do a similar job on Sunday but I really hope Dorking win the final, they deserve to go up on merit.
LA Dart

Post by LA Dart »

Anyone know the 50/50 Draw numbers from last night ?
Gary C

Post by Gary C »

£210 - 16861
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:19 am
SKennedyDFC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:57 pm Seriously bad performance that. Tactics were all wrong. Time for King to go. Can always guarantee a failure in the playoffs with him in charge.
Give it a rest, his first full season in charge. Yes it's disappointing but we don't want to be chopping and changing managers every season if we don't go up.
But it's fine to be chopping and changing players in the team every week? Stick with King this club goes nowhere.
So, not too many changes from the team that tonked Eastbourne and yet that team didn't turn up last night. I have no problem changing the team at all - King goes to more games than many of our previous managers and tries to get a team out he feels will beat them - of course it is the guys on the pitch that have to deliver it.

If you had your way - i.e. not bring in new players, then we would have finished the season with academy players (no offence to them at all). Kingy has had so many injuries to key players to contend with and lost one of our most gifted players to Southend. I would say the majority of players brought in have been improvements to ones let go, so I really don't see your problem.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

I came away from PP thinking business as usual .
First of all congrats to Chippenham ,they had a game plan and stuck to it.
It has been 10 years since TB won a play off final for the club and the longer the game went on it was obvious that we were not going to score. and win the match.
For some reason consistency with this squad is a non event. Very frustrating.
As for Kingy he is very experienced but his play off record is not great.
If he stays then we go again
But if he walks ...we will move on as we have always done.
I hope that Dorking win the play offs because they deserve to imo.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Pedro wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 am

So, not too many changes from the team that tonked Eastbourne and yet that team didn't turn up last night. I have no problem changing the team at all - King goes to more games than many of our previous managers and tries to get a team out he feels will beat them - of course it is the guys on the pitch that have to deliver it.

If you had your way - i.e. not bring in new players, then we would have finished the season with academy players (no offence to them at all). Kingy has had so many injuries to key players to contend with and lost one of our most gifted players to Southend. I would say the majority of players brought in have been improvements to ones let go, so I really don't see your problem.
Multiple things wrong here IMO.

Firstly, most club's have injuries / suspensions throughout a season. It's inevitable. Yet the more successful ones (look at Maidstone United for example - whose manager has come out and said it's down to a solid stable team that has led them to success this year) had a core group of players who made up the majority of the squad. If you look at the team that started this season for us, it is a million miles different from the one that ended it.

If King can't recognise a good player or bad player before having to play him for two or three games then that says a lot about him as a manager. What he has got is a good network of connections in football, however, this had led to players drifting in and out of the club without so much of a mention (that bit comes down to the poor comms in place at Dartford these days).

Regarding the academy, what's the point in having it if we are never going to reap the rewards of trying some of these kids in competitive games? Again is this because King cannot develop talent himself?

One of my key issues with King is that he is very short-termism. He looks at the immediate games and doesn't look to develop a squad with a team mentality. You only have to look at the reactions of some of the players who have worked under him (take Ryan Hayes for instance) to see how he is a poor man-manager.

I also struggle to see what brand of football / style of football he is going for? It beggars belief that we can turn up to some games and smash teams 6-0 or 7-2 and then go and lose 1-0 to a low side like Braintree or put in an abject performance like we did last night. This to me says that the players HE has selected and brought to the club are not consistent enough to take us to the next level.

Other clubs around us are pushing forwards (Ebbsfleet United, Bromley and Maidstone United) and we are standing still or, worse, going backwards! Floating fans will go and spend their money watching a higher division than another season of National League South football given the chance.

I've lost count now of the times King has failed in the play-offs but it's almost inevitable that you're going to lose with him in charge. He's failed twice with us now and for most managers that would be the final nail in the coffin.

We could have had games next season against Oldham Athletic, Scunthorpe United and Southend United. Instead we have matches with Cheshunt, Worthing and Farnborough. That's the price of King's failures!
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:10 am

Firstly, most club's have injuries / suspensions throughout a season. It's inevitable. Yet the more successful ones (look at Maidstone United for example - whose manager has come out and said it's down to a solid stable team that has led them to success this year) had a core group of players who made up the majority of the squad. If you look at the team that started this season for us, it is a million miles different from the one that ended it.

If King can't recognise a good player or bad player before having to play him for two or three games then that says a lot about him as a manager. What he has got is a good network of connections in football, however, this had led to players drifting in and out of the club without so much of a mention (that bit comes down to the poor comms in place at Dartford these days).

Regarding the academy, what's the point in having it if we are never going to reap the rewards of trying some of these kids in competitive games? Again is this because King cannot develop talent himself?

One of my key issues with King is that he is very short-termism. He looks at the immediate games and doesn't look to develop a squad with a team mentality. You only have to look at the reactions of some of the players who have worked under him (take Ryan Hayes for instance) to see how he is a poor man-manager.

I also struggle to see what brand of football / style of football he is going for? It beggars belief that we can turn up to some games and smash teams 6-0 or 7-2 and then go and lose 1-0 to a low side like Braintree or put in an abject performance like we did last night. This to me says that the players HE has selected and brought to the club are not consistent enough to take us to the next level.

Other clubs around us are pushing forwards (Ebbsfleet United, Bromley and Maidstone United) and we are standing still or, worse, going backwards! Floating fans will go and spend their money watching a higher division than another season of National League South football given the chance.

I've lost count now of the times King has failed in the play-offs but it's almost inevitable that you're going to lose with him in charge. He's failed twice with us now and for most managers that would be the final nail in the coffin.

We could have had games next season against Oldham Athletic, Scunthorpe United and Southend United. Instead we have matches with Cheshunt, Worthing and Farnborough. That's the price of King's failures!
And your suggestions to improve things are what exactly? And don't just say sack the manager.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

I'm not sure Steve King is held in quite the same esteem as Jurgen Klopp is by his Liverpool players.

More like Brian Clough at Leeds.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

I think you have an agenda to get King'y out of the club, because you don't like him or he has upset people former staff of the club , how can you call his first season here a failure he took us from the brink of a relegation season to a play off final and again he got us to the play-off this season which is what he said he would do,
You cannot argue we have had our fair amount of injuries and players that were out of form at the same time, look at how many left backs we have had injured this season, He had to go out and get more players to maintain a challenge sorry to say using academy players that are not at this level yet would have been a disaster and people would have said why didn't he use any of his contacts instead of academy players.

Your entitled to your opinion but it is becoming a vendetta because you don't like him rather than what is best for the club and I'm not just talking about on this forum but also on twitter and believe me its just not this club you do it to you are the same for CAFC always negative .

Kingy is the way forward in my opinion as I cannot see who else could come in and have us challenging at the top end of the table rather than relegation which was where we were before he came in.

DFC have played in 4 play-offs and only one won, Yes Kingy has been the manger at the two off them but we had no right to be involved in his first one when you look at where DFC where when he took over
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Have to say I sat in the car waiting to get out of PP last night and thought to myself what a crap end to the season, after seeing 6 and 7 goals over the last few weeks I thought that this was going to be a cagey game and one goal was going to win it. But Penalties again that really sucks……
And we had our chance, but in fairness to them they had theirs to, the one that hit the post and then the rebound was slotted wide of the post. If Dan Roberts had just shot (I am not blaming him for one minute for the loss before anyone thinks I am) Danny Leonard shot just going wide.
But last night’s loss wasn’t down to one game, it was down to a season that I have never known so many injuries. Yes we have used nearly 49 players and Steve King will come in for some stick for the amount that he has used, but at one stage we was 10 points clear and flying but it came down to us needing Chelmsford to do us a favour and draw or even beat Gravesend and Northfleet.

For me if anyone came out of the last few games it is the pervious mention Dan Roberts, you can see what the club means to him shipped out on loan but came back with some vigour and energy that I think we had been missing!

Will not be around for the KSC final, and think it is time to take a step back from the football the last few games has made me question whether I can really be bothered at the moment the answer is a big resounding NO. People will say it’s a knee jerk reaction but for me over the last year priorities have changed and I am sure I am not the only one.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Disappointing result, enough said. This, however, is not the time to take knee-jerk action by replacing the manager, who is after all contracted through to 2024.

Totally accept comments about chopping and changing the line up week after week. We need Kingy to assemble a squad of players that will do the business for us.

Oh, as a footnote, selling Noor Husain when we did didn’t help!!

Let’s get behind the manager and players and finish the season on a high next Tuesday by lifting that pot!
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

My opinion is that King should be the one that takes us forward. People need to remember we are going through some form of rebuild where we lost the core of the team that was so successful all within a couple of seasons (Hayes, Noble, Bradbrook etc etc and also lost Burman as manager), and that's not mentioning losing Husin midway through this season and Murtagh for the playoffs.

We've been extremely unlucky with injuries especially in the defensive areas. If I also remember Ade got injured when he was in red hot form, and could never get back his form from the first 10 games so we were missing a goalscorer until Marcus came in.

We've seen what can happen when the wrong person (people) are in charge with Coyle and Flanagan. God help us if there's a knee jerk reaction to this and we end up in a similar scenario next season.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

JCJ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:52 am

I think you have an agenda to get King'y out of the club, because you don't like him or he has upset people former staff of the club , how can you call his first season here a failure he took us from the brink of a relegation season to a play off final and again he got us to the play-off this season which is what he said he would do,
You cannot argue we have had our fair amount of injuries and players that were out of form at the same time, look at how many left backs we have had injured this season, He had to go out and get more players to maintain a challenge sorry to say using academy players that are not at this level yet would have been a disaster and people would have said why didn't he use any of his contacts instead of academy players.

Your entitled to your opinion but it is becoming a vendetta because you don't like him rather than what is best for the club and I'm not just talking about on this forum but also on twitter and believe me its just not this club you do it to you are the same for CAFC always negative .

Kingy is the way forward in my opinion as I cannot see who else could come in and have us challenging at the top end of the table rather than relegation which was where we were before he came in.

DFC have played in 4 play-offs and only one won, Yes Kingy has been the manger at the two off them but we had no right to be involved in his first one when you look at where DFC where when he took over
The agenda argument is laughable. I don't have a say on who stays and who goes from the football club, but I am entitled (as you so rightly put it) to my own opinion.

I'm up front with it. I don't like King. I don't think he's good for the club. I don't think he's a good manager. That doesn't mean I don't want us to do well? But this season has been an abject failure. I really wanted Dartford to get promoted this season, but it wasn't ever going to be the case the way things have been going.

Very odd of you to go hunting around Twitter to see what I post and then to get it so wrong. I have put plenty of supportive comments up for both Charlton and Dartford. Very weird for you to think that you can only post positive comments and anything negative posted is somehow invalid?

There is a very strange group on this forum that really get on their high-horse whenever someone dares criticise the team. Odd behaviour.

Suggest we leave it there as we are not going to agree.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Steve King is a good manager. I don't believe his man-management skills are his strongest point however, but his knowledge of the game, of players playing up and down the coutry and his contacts book the size of an encyclopaedia, is unrivalled.
It would be foolhardy to sack a manager unless there is someone better out there.
Steve King's appointment was a massive statement of intent by a board whose ambition I often used to question.
But if we were to part company with SK then the man for me, if he's still available, is Alan Dowson.
If not then back Kingy because there is no one else better.
I feel we've gone backwards this season after going from possible relegation battlers to play-off finalists at Weymouth.
Dowson is not a nearly man. He's won promotions.
Probably the most significant of recent times was his Woking side's 1-0 defeat of Steve King's Welling United in the 2019 play-off final.
SK felt Welling were the better side on the day, which they were by all accounts. But, here's the thing, despite the what ifs and near misses, Woking knew how to win and get over the line.
We've had a lot of injuries this season. While I accept there's maybe no connection I have wondered about our fitness levels and training methods recently.
I used to criticise Tony Burman quite often on this forum and in turn got criticised by many other posters for it.
But one thing I will say about TB is he was a taskmaster on the training field.
When we got promoted to the National League, not only were we beating full time ex-league clubs, but were finishing games the stronger side too.
We lost our unbeaten home record to Maidstone a few weeks ago.
I heard people saying how fitter Maidstone were because they were full time. Ok they had Good Friday off but please, with our rotation policy, that's no excuse.
We went head to head with far better sides than them in the National, with less quality than we have now, and won.
We had a smaller budget too but we had an identity, a team spirit, with a never day die attitude where every game, especially against the Billy big bollocks sides, was treated like a cup final.
We had players with big hearts who turned up for training twice a week but no doubt kept up their training privately in their spare time too.
Attitude wise we've never replaced the likes of Bradders, Burnsie, Harris or Noble.
Atleast we still have Tom Bonner.
Last edited by Ajaxman DFC on Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingKong

Post by KingKong »

As I recall TB had terrible stick on the forum even when we were toe to toe with havant at the top.
As far as I can see we have a manager who took us from nowhere to a play off final and this season a 4th place finish and the play offs again.He still hasn't lost in 4 play off games in 90 or 120 minutes.
Some of the football away from home has been sublime for our level where teams have to come at us.At home it has not really worked out and we need to look at that next season.

However I can also never remember a season with so many injuries..an absolute freak especially in defence.If tom had got injured God knows where we would have been but we still had one of the best defensive records in the league. Kingy has always said if you perform well in training you will get an opportunity which empowers all on the squad. Apart from letting Danny go out on loan I can't think of any howlers playing wise.
There does seem to be a personal element in some posts which I don't think we need now.
There have been some lows this season but also some really good performances.

Bring on next season.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

A lot of knee jerk reaction on here and quite understandable.
I understand that Kingy is on contract
Until 2024 if true and the fact that his experience and contacts in the game suggest to me it is a no Braintree that he stays
Chippenham had done their homework but I have to ask....did we?.
Next season starts here for me.
We are all bitterly disappointed but we can only move on and start building for the next campaign
Come on you DARTS!!
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Completely understand the disappointment - gutted myself last night. On the plus side we won't have to go to Maidstone next season (unless in the cup) but we will still have plenty of Kent derbies with Dover coming down and Ebbsfleet remaining in the South!!

COYD
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

That was a miserable night. I faithfully followed the live commentary (which blanked out everytime the commentator got excited, so I was half celebrating goals, which turned out to me near misses, and penalty saves which were swiftly undone by penalty misses) and was gutted that a league campaign which looked so good stuttered to a halt like that. I won't say much about the game as it's hard to offer a lucid opinion when you are miles away, but it sounded like two cagey teams who wanted to win, but also avoid conceding. As for the penalties - they are a lottery. The trick is to avoid them.

So another season. I find the turnover of players a problem - I get we have had horrible injury problems, but 40 odd players is quite a high number. having said which, I pesonally think sackin King given where we have finishes these last two seasons would be daft. Stability is a key (you listening Kingo?) and I hope our manager would learn lessons from this season.
The comment about our away form suggests we play a lot better when the opposition try to beat us. Teams who come to PP to try and nick a point are where we may have a problem to unlock. Whatever, I do think we need a a core team and a creative player or two to open up the teams who are happy with a 0-0. Fingers crossed we can get the KSC next week. It's not much compensation, but a trophy is a trophy.
COYD