Ody Alfa (Sub)
No votes
Kristian Campbell (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 37

Jonty

Re: Dartford v Maidstone Mon 18 Apr 2022

Post by Jonty »

I didn't think we played too bad, we were just up against a very well-organized & physically stronger team, who will probably win the league. There are better footballing teams in this division but no other team comes close to their level on the defensive side of the game. It would have been interesting to see how we would have fared with the team that started the first 10 games. Unfortunately, the number of injuries that we have had during the season has taken its toll and at a guess, I would say that this has cost us around 10-12 points.

Unless we can get a fully fit Danny Leanard back, I don't have too much confidence in our playoff games. I think we would all like to see 2 wingers in the team but this will never happen because SK always plays 3 in the middle, probably because we don't have the type of players to play 2 in the middle. Don't get me wrong, they are all very good players but I don't think any of them could play in a 4-4-2 system. If only we had a prime Bradders!

The only thing that made me smile on the day was seeing a couple of their young supporters being sick in the town center and a couple more in the back of a police wagon. I guess that they didn't see the game, like a couple of our supporters at Sudbury, where Dave Skinner read them the riot act.
Stealthelf

Post by Stealthelf »

Thanks for the kind words about the MUFC performance but having watched the highlights it really shows how close to an equaliser you were. You may feel that you underperformed but the reality is that had a blade of grass been in a different position your shot would have skimmed the inside of the post and gone in. On the fans thing I think all clubs have bad apples and coin/bottle throwing from anyone is a serious offence. 99% of all our supporters just want to watch a good game, unfortunately though a few always seem to have other ideas. I personally don’t enjoy the celebrating of goals in front of opponents fans, or the “shushing” motion towards opponents after scoring. A couple of years ago, pre-Covid, I watched the Giants V the Eagles in the NFL and both supporters sat together, no trouble at all. I’m not sure how the cultures of two ball games went in opposite direction. Anyway good luck for the run in and I hope that future seasons will see us both in the NL or further, maybe even a few derbies against the Gills 🤝
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

A lot of interesting views being expressed after this match, and I think a lot of it is down to frustrations the fans are feeling, especially after the scorching start we had in the the first 10 games.

There's no doubt we have had our fair share of injuries over the season, but then, so have other teams too. I seem to recall a post from The Duke regarding the comments that Marc White made about the loss of Prior earlier in the season, but said that Dorking would soldier on with their existing squad, and that seemed to have paid dividends for them.

I suppose it must be remembered that both Maidstone and Ebbsfleet are full time teams. Connor Essam passed comment during the match commentary of the advantages full time football gave to players being able to spend more time both on fitness and time spent on tactics, which part time teams don't have the luxury of, and also more opportunity of building better relationships with other players simply because they have more bonding time together.

My following of the Darts this season has been restricted to match commentaries and watching the highlights. I still haven't watched a match this season, either at the Darts or Tranmere, in spite of being a season ticket holder at both clubs, simply to avoid travelling on public transport or be amongst big crowds, until Covid becomes less of a problem. So far, touch wood, we have avoided contracting Covid. Nevertheless, many of the highlights I have impressed me, moving the ball about well. But listening to the commentaries, it just seems we have missed too many goalscoring opportunities, which is why we have fallen behind Maidstone and Dorking, especially after having had a substantial points advantage over both of them earlier in the season.

Having said all that, as a couple of others have said, 4 games to go in which the Darts need to finish strongly to build up a winning and confident end to the season to give momentum in to the play offs. But nothing comes easy and Eastbourne won't be an easy last game.

COYD
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

KentC. wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 am
KentC. wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 am
dartLion wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:22 pm Following your opinion Kent C, I am searching for Dartford in the bottom half of the table :o

Bit sill that mate to be honest try and think harder with your response. Far more criticism on here than on my post.

And if you read my previous posts I thought we could of got something from it. Are you saying anything not massively positive means it’s thought we’re down the league? What’s you point?
Thanks for educating me Kent C,. My point was that your post suggesting, "our goal shy attack", "the midfield doesn't seem to control games..." "unsure as to what our game plans are" " too many players are not great on the ball" "first touches a problem" " barely won any second balls" "desire from some not there" "needs to get a proven goal scorer" "picks players who are not performing well - well, putting those all together, if I didn't know otherwise, with all those symptoms, I would have thought you were talking about a lower half of the table team?
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

Stealthelf wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 pm Thanks for the kind words about the MUFC performance but having watched the highlights it really shows how close to an equaliser you were. You may feel that you underperformed but the reality is that had a blade of grass been in a different position your shot would have skimmed the inside of the post and gone in. On the fans thing I think all clubs have bad apples and coin/bottle throwing from anyone is a serious offence. 99% of all our supporters just want to watch a good game, unfortunately though a few always seem to have other ideas. I personally don’t enjoy the celebrating of goals in front of opponents fans, or the “shushing” motion towards opponents after scoring. A couple of years ago, pre-Covid, I watched the Giants V the Eagles in the NFL and both supporters sat together, no trouble at all. I’m not sure how the cultures of two ball games went in opposite direction. Anyway good luck for the run in and I hope that future seasons will see us both in the NL or further, maybe even a few derbies against the Gills 🤝
Fair dinkum mate, only Deacon's antics were far more than just celebrating a goal, it was rubbing in the result. Good luck in the Prem.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

I know how the cultures of 2 ball games went in opposite directions;
Ones played by Brits who understand passion & bring it into their game.
And the other is played by Yanks who just bring a wheelbarrow of popcorn, hot dogs & a bucket full of Coke to theirs!!
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

M1 South wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:21 am I know how the cultures of 2 ball games went in opposite directions;
Ones played by Brits who understand passion & bring it into their game.
And the other is played by Yanks who just bring a wheelbarrow of popcorn, hot dogs & a bucket full of Coke to theirs!!
Not sure about that M1S.... what about Premiership Rugby then? Plenty of British passion there (certainly more that at PP this season!) but 30 players and full houses of rival fans who seem to know where to draw the line between passion and commitment on one side and offensive indiscipline on the other.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

I agree. It’s Yanks & sport that is the problem!!
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

PeteSamson wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:51 pm A lot of interesting views being expressed after this match, and I think a lot of it is down to frustrations the fans are feeling, especially after the scorching start we had in the the first 10 games.

There's no doubt we have had our fair share of injuries over the season, but then, so have other teams too. I seem to recall a post from The Duke regarding the comments that Marc White made about the loss of Prior earlier in the season, but said that Dorking would soldier on with their existing squad, and that seemed to have paid dividends for them.

I suppose it must be remembered that both Maidstone and Ebbsfleet are full time teams. Connor Essam passed comment during the match commentary of the advantages full time football gave to players being able to spend more time both on fitness and time spent on tactics, which part time teams don't have the luxury of, and also more opportunity of building better relationships with other players simply because they have more bonding time together.

My following of the Darts this season has been restricted to match commentaries and watching the highlights. I still haven't watched a match this season, either at the Darts or Tranmere, in spite of being a season ticket holder at both clubs, simply to avoid travelling on public transport or be amongst big crowds, until Covid becomes less of a problem. So far, touch wood, we have avoided contracting Covid. Nevertheless, many of the highlights I have impressed me, moving the ball about well. But listening to the commentaries, it just seems we have missed too many goalscoring opportunities, which is why we have fallen behind Maidstone and Dorking, especially after having had a substantial points advantage over both of them earlier in the season.

Having said all that, as a couple of others have said, 4 games to go in which the Darts need to finish strongly to build up a winning and confident end to the season to give momentum in to the play offs. But nothing comes easy and Eastbourne won't be an easy last game.

COYD
I have to agree Pete. The benefits of being full time are clear, though I'm still not sure that our injury list is significantly worse than our rivals and I don't think. Kingy's strength is his extensive player contact list, but the flip side is the wildly excessive turnover of players he generates.

Personally, I just can't see how such a constant level of change is conducive to continuity, good form and team spirit. Take Eastbourne Borough for example...